Sign In

female Omo Platformer in the Making

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey there, everyone, BlueScreen here! Don't remember me? Not surprising! I post and then vanish into the abyss for years at a time. Oops. Anyways, I've been solo-developing an omorashi puzzl

Happy New Year, everyone! It's a littler later than I expected, but the super early demo release is here! There are a number of known bugs that I'm still working on, though this should provide some id

Wow, honestly, I was a little surprised to open this thread back up and discover this number of reactions. Thanks so much for the support, everyone, I'm even more fired up!  I recently came to a

Posted Images

I was pretty unsatisfied with the background music...

So I made my own!

Feel free to use it, just credit me (ZirconiumPen) if you do.

Also I had an idea where the game could seamlessly swap between different versions of the music depending on the water level, but that's probably too much programming work to ask of you.

Anyway I hope you like it!

Edit: I don't think the file attached properly? I may be stupid uhhh someone help?

Edit 2: Nevermind it was an issue with my adblocker, hopefully it works on your end

Edited by ZirconiumPen
Retracted previous edit (see edit history)
On 1/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, ZirconiumPen said:

Just tried it out, here are my initial thoughts (mostly bugs and such, as to be expected from an early build):

• Window resolution doesn't seem to be correct (I'm on a 1920x1080 display, and it seems too zoomed in)
  • Explanation of controls somewhere would be nice
    • Ideally we would have rebindable keys, but if not I suggest setting E as interact (as it's currently only bound to Enter?)
  • Lots of jumping and movement weirdness:
    • Being able to stick to walls and ceilings (is this supposed to be climbing?)
    • Jumping against the bottom of an up-and-down moving platform causes repeated jumps
    • Holding two direction keys causes her to moonwalk sometimes (pushing boxes I think?)
    • Some spots on the floor are just stuck, requiring a jump to move past
  • On the fourth stage, pushing the box up the ramp onto the button is really difficult
  • On that same stage (and potentially others), pushing boxes into corners may result in softlock. One potential solution I've heard is to use triangle corners, but I don't know how hard that is to implement.
  • In a similar vein, a restart button would be nice
  • Swimming is pretty annoying (though that was probably part of the intention). Being able to jump out of the water might feel better.
  • Settings sometimes reset for some reason?
  • Rain is cute! I like the sprites and animations
  • The concept of water level <-> bladder meter so far is really nice. However, moving around didn't feel very good. From a game design standpoint, since this is a platformer (well, half of it at least), I would focus on making sure that movement feels good before spending too much time on anything else.

Looks very promising! I may have sounded harsh here, but I'm really looking forward to see this project improve!

Also, while I may not be familiar with the specific language you're using, I have experimented with 2d platformers before, so if you have some issues I might be able to take a look.

Hopefully this helped!

On 1/2/2022 at 6:41 PM, Captain L said:

I'll basically second everything here. The only thing I want to add is that, by holding up (and only up, space doesn't do the same thing), Rain repeatedly jumps, which sometimes manifests as an incredibly high jump. I actually appreciate this bug (except for when it causes Rain to jump out of bounds), because it allows me to get to a lot of the higher platforms without waiting for the water level to rise, something I find necessary because of how slow it rises. In rooms where waiting is mandatory, I have to wait minutes at a time to climb over the wall. Some way to manually raise bladder level (maybe stocking drinks in an inventory instead of consuming them immediately) would make those rooms a lot more tolerable.

The game has a lot of potential, and I want to see where it goes. Keep up the good work.

Loving the feedback! This has all been added to my list for subsequent updates. I'm not sure if I'll tackle these issues in a single update, or do a few smaller ones, but we'll just see how it goes. The window resolution is a known issue that I'm in the process with, and I think I can get the drink stocking system working, though it may be in a format where the order obtained determines the order drunk when pulled from the stock. Lmk if that seems like a good idea or if there should just be a basic inventory.

Hello! General update, here, my trusty old laptop that I've been developing on has just puttered out and will not work until I fix the battery, if it works at all. Hopefully that will be soon, but it means that there won't be any art updates until then. In the meantime, the actual development and bugfixing should not be impacted (I backed up all of the game files), so while my busy schedule keeps this process a little on the slow side, it will certainly come out.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll (hopefully) see you soon!

-BlueScreen

On 1/9/2022 at 12:39 PM, ZirconiumPen said:

I was pretty unsatisfied with the background music...

So I made my own!

Feel free to use it, just credit me (ZirconiumPen) if you do.

Also I had an idea where the game could seamlessly swap between different versions of the music depending on the water level, but that's probably too much programming work to ask of you.

Anyway I hope you like it!

Edit: I don't think the file attached properly? I may be stupid uhhh someone help?

Edit 2: Nevermind it was an issue with my adblocker, hopefully it works on your end

Frankly, I'm blown away. This is great! The current music was off of some royalty-free site, so I am overjoyed that someone with musical talent has come out of the woodwork. I can get the music to transition at certain water levels, but I'm not sure how 'seamless' it will be. Until I come up with a better solution, it would likely be a sort of quick fade-out fade-in kind of thing.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:45 AM, The Dark Wolf said:

I couldn't figure out how to try it out. All it did was create a Temp folder and I don't know where to go from there.

Hmm, if you could walk me through your process, I can try to troubleshoot a bit. I almost wonder if it's an OS issue, but it should be compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux.

17 minutes ago, BlueScreen said:

Loving the feedback! This has all been added to my list for subsequent updates. I'm not sure if I'll tackle these issues in a single update, or do a few smaller ones, but we'll just see how it goes. The window resolution is a known issue that I'm in the process with, and I think I can get the drink stocking system working, though it may be in a format where the order obtained determines the order drunk when pulled from the stock. Lmk if that seems like a good idea or if there should just be a basic inventory.

Thinking on it a bit more since I made the suggestion, because bottles in the demo are placed very deliberately, unless a lot of extra bottles are added to be used later (which would cause an issue if a player wasted them in a room between gathering them and "needing" them), the better solution might be a fast-forward button. Like, hold a button down and bladder level increases at 10x speed for the duration. It's just a way to skip the waiting period for a player who knows what they're doing.

Personally I would prefer an inventory menu, as it would give you more options for later (non-drink items? speed/jump boosts?). If not, I could also see a simple HUD with like, 3 visible items with the rest rotated through (let me know if this isn't clear enough).

Also something you may want to consider when designing controls is making it fully playable with a single hand 😉

More smaller updates is probably better, it's a faster feedback loop which helps improvements happen faster

Glad you liked the music! Hopefully I'll find time to compose more if you ever need it.

Okay, so, I don't want to be too hasty, but v0.2 is pretty much ready for release. As for the pacing aspect, I've decided to go with a fast-forward mechanic for now, I may play around with the inventory system in a later update, especially since it kind of negates some of the point of drink items. Now, they're really only useful for obtaining bottles. However, this takes us to the current issue: drink items don't appear to function in the built version.

They work in the editor, but not in the build. I'm actively looking into this, but it would be nice to get this resolved before releasing. I've made a brief post in the discord to get more info, as well. I'm not sure if this bug is just something on my end, or if it was present before and I didn't notice.

Worst comes to worst, I'll release 0.2 as is and make the fix in a future update. The game is still winnable, since you still receive bottles and can control the water level with 'CTRL,' but we'll see. The tutorial level in the beginning is temporary, I want to redo it and add an actual opening sequence eventually.

Overall,  this has been a significantly messier post than usual for me, but every day this week I've been saying "Oh boy, I can send out 0.2 tonight!" More of a rant than a proper update, let me know if anyone has thoughts or more bugs that they've run into.

BTW, adding @ZirconiumPen's music to this has been a huge improvement, though I'm probably going to make a quick adjustment in 0.3 so that the music keeps running across every level on loop, rather than restarting each time.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

~BlueScreen

In the spirit of actually sending out releases, the time has come! We'll see if the item bug is just happening on my end, but I'll assume that it's universal as development continues until I hear otherwise. There are a few bugfixes and changes in 0.2, and while there is a changelog in the file, I'll post it here as a quick read, as well.

What's been changed:
-modified resolution settings
-updated music (courtesy of ZirconiumPen)
-smoothed platform surfaces (should reduce player and boxes getting stuck)
-updated jumping out of water
-reduced default UI button volume

What's been removed/fixed:
-removed 'super jump' when holding "UP"
-removed double jumps
-removed wall stickiness
-removed 'super jump' on vertically-moving platforms

What's been added:
-added splash sound when entering/leaving water
-added fast forward mode when holding "LCTRL" or "RCTRL"
-added restart button to pause menu
-added Rain commenting on desperation
-added controls tutorial level

rains_big_splash_demo_0.2.zip

I'll continue to fix bugs and add material that's been brought up before, so keep an eye out! Thanks, everyone,

~BlueScreen

Sorry to say that, but it's still buggy...
- Tutorial notes disappear too fast... make it disappear only if the character moves away from it.
- No (easy) way up on the very first level from the first (pink coated) platforms
- No way up to the exit on the first level, always get stuck on side of the platforms
- If I fall down from those broken platform, no way back, because the platforms blocking me to get on them.

I can't test it more, please make the game easier to play before adding new features.

After playing the new build, here are my notes (I wrote down pretty much EVERYTHING that came to mind - prepare for a long one)

Movement (prioritize these):

• I'm still confused on whether jumping up the sides of platforms is intentional -- it seems like a weird thing to include, but also the levels seem impossible without it?
  • While in water, you can't move on two axes at once (e.g. left and down), which feels unnatural.
  • Water movement is very slow. If swimming is to be a major part of the navigation, it should be at least a bit quicker.
  • I can stand on the sides of boxes while pushing them as I stand suspended mid-air
  • Traction on moving platforms is awkward (I would expect Rain to move along at the same rate as the platform)

General:

• Text disappears too quickly (signs should stay for as long as Rain stands there; dialogue should stay on screen for about 2-3x as long as it does currently)
  • An indicator for when objects are within interactable range would be nice.
  • Think about what you want to carry between levels. So far all the potential stats I can think of:
    • Panties - Does not carry
    • Bottles - Carries
    • Bladder level - Does not carry
    • Items - [not currently implemented]
  • How isolated do you want the levels to be? Do we want it to feel like one continuous route? If so, everything should carry. In that case, should we be able to go back to previous levels to pick up items we misssed?
  • Do we want each level to be its own puzzle, with no influence in between (level-select style)? If so, nothing should carry.
  • The current situation implies one route, but with a toilet break in between each door. I'm not sure if that's the intention, but if it is, some indiciation of that would be nice (for multiple reasons 😉 ). It seems like the intent is that the end of the game is the toilet ("Golden Throne Room") so this doesn't make much sense?

Visuals and aesthetics:

• I really should have written a longer loop for the music. 1:30 is too short. I'll see how soon I can write something around 3:30. (would it help to provide an 'intro' and 'loop' file? I'm not super sure how to do that but we'll see)
  • Icons at the top, as well as the portrait and fast-forward, are too close to the edges; adding some margins would help
  • Rain's desperation expressions are currently only visible in the portrait; would love to seem them in-world
  • The credits screen is yellow text on white background (very hard to read).
  • It's possible to move during the final parts of the relief animation. (kinda funny to watch her slide around)
  • Walk cycle feels a bit slow - try playing the animation a bit faster?
  • Multiple sound effects for each sound event will eventually be important, but it's fine for now

Specific issues / bugs:

• Fourth level (box + button):
    • Pushing the box from the floor onto the button is still impossible. While the hitbox allows the button to be pushed, it still doesn't look right.
    • The floor under the opened door is very slightly raised, making it impossible to walk onto (I had to jump).
    • The exit door doesn't work after loading a save file (restarting doesn't fix it).
  • The fifth(? maybe sixth I forgot) level has a very long backtracking path - combined with the slow water movement it was rather frustrating.
  • Make doorways taller; it's hard to fit into them.
  • Some interactable signs have a bit of raised ground beneath them?
  • Volume settings still reset sometimes (To be specific, I adjusted music volume, went into main menu, and started a new game).
  • Sometimes starting a new game carries over bottles from the previous session (am I supposed to start with 1 or 3?)
  • The issue of bottles not working you mentioned is also present on my end.

In general, I feel like there's a long way to go in terms of game-feel right now. I can tell a lot of effort went into the graphics (great job on those by the way) but I really want this game to actually feel good to play. In order to do that, I recommend you focus your efforts on making the experience of moving around more fluid (haha) before adding any more levels or features (I know how strong the temptation is). I say this because once you've made it fun and comfortable to move around in a blank room with some platforms, everything else you add will be _awesome_. Of course, if something only takes a little effort to add, go ahead. But the most significant thing you should be working on is the movement (especially water, since that comprises a big part of the game). Even though I make a lot of feature suggestions, I would advise you to push them to the back of the line for now.
Wow, that was certainly longer than my other one. I'm super excited for where this game is going! If anything's unclear about any of these points feel free to ask. Sorry if I sounded pushy here, I just feel very strongly about making the core gameplay feel good.
I'll also add a quick note here - if there's a specific area you need help in (e.g. a bug that's giving you a lot of trouble), I think it'd be pretty helpful to post about it here. There are a lot of skilled and eager people here that may provide some extra help!

15 hours ago, ZirconiumPen said:

Do we want each level to be its own puzzle, with no influence in between (level-select style)?

ATM, everything will carry for consistency's sake. In the future, it may be changed to a sort of nexus level system, where the player chooses a level to enter from the nexus, possibly including a bathroom, which will give more freedom to choose what carries between levels while also stringing them together. As you've said, this will be after the bugs and actual gameplay stuff are fixed. 

Rain's desperation expressions are currently only visible in the portrait; would love to seem them in-world

This is planned for a future update. There are intentions to rework Rain's design a bit to fit the story better.

The exit door doesn't work after loading a save file (restarting doesn't fix it).

This is categorized under the fourth level. Is it only occurring there, or does this happen in every level?

It seems like the intent is that the end of the game is the toilet ("Golden Throne Room") so this doesn't make much sense?

As the demo version is mostly for QA and bug-fixing right now, the story is pretty loose. Given the nexus consideration, I have a couple ideas on the drawing board for a more consistent version, so expect some changes in a few updates!

There's a chance that, one way or another, the fast-forward system will be replaced with an inventory, allowing for better story capability and carrying items, maybe finding 'extra lives,' etc. I have a very strong suspicion that the FF is what's causing the items to not work in-build, so while it may be in the next-to-following update, it is high on the list.

I can tell from looking at this list that most of these can be fixed in 0.3, save a few more technically-challenging aspects. If some things are left out, it will be some of the visual adjustments, especially since I'd like to do a visual overhaul when full release approaches.

22 hours ago, Tyton said:

I cant read all of the text, because I can't see all of it.

Does the text not appear at all, or is it cut off by the screen edges, or something else?

Thanks for the feedback, super duper helpful! I really want to turn this into something truly enjoyable, so keep it coming. Not everything will be resolved in a single update, but I'm trying to get to each ticket as soon as possible.

~BlueScreen

1 hour ago, BlueScreen said:

This is categorized under the fourth level. Is it only occurring there, or does this happen in every level?

It's that specific exit door. Upon further testing, the issue doesn't seem to lie with loading a file (I started a new game and played all the way through). It worked fine on my first playthrough, but starting a new one seems to have broken the door.

Also, as others have said, you might want to rework the first level a bit. The platforms below the entrance are too low to get to the doorway, and you can only get up from them via climbing(?) to the starting platform. In addition, the crumbling platforms are positioned really awkwardly, and it's possible to get stuck under them.

Glad to see your diligence here! It's always exciting to see new projects in development.

To shed some further light on the Level 4 door issue, it's the same bug that was in 0.1: the door doesn't work if the switch is pressed. So the way to get through is to push the box onto the button, open the gate, then go back to move it off the button. I think the changes in collision made it worse in 0.2, however, because in 0.1, it would work all the way if the box pressed the button by touching its side instead of landing on top of it. Now, the two have to be separated.

Now that it can't all be cheated (kind of, it's still totally possible to repeatedly jump to reach higher ledges on anything besides normal walls), I think the biggest issue with the current level design is an overestimation of Rain's abilities. The first room is supposed to be a simple obstacle course for the player to get accustomed to basic movement before they're introduced to any other mechanics, but if you fall down in either the first or second challenge, Rain's jump isn't high enough to get back up without the assistance of the rising water. Even if you don't fail, one of the final platforms is naturally too high to reach. If anything, I think the first room shouldn't have rising water, introduce that at the same time as the drinks, so the player can see that the water rises, quickly enough to be noticeable.

6 hours ago, BlueScreen said:

ATM, everything will carry for consistency's sake. In the future, it may be changed to a sort of nexus level system, where the player chooses a level to enter from the nexus, possibly including a bathroom, which will give more freedom to choose what carries between levels while also stringing them together. As you've said, this will be after the bugs and actual gameplay stuff are fixed. 

This is planned for a future update. There are intentions to rework Rain's design a bit to fit the story better.

As the demo version is mostly for QA and bug-fixing right now, the story is pretty loose. Given the nexus consideration, I have a couple ideas on the drawing board for a more consistent version, so expect some changes in a few updates!

There's a chance that, one way or another, the fast-forward system will be replaced with an inventory, allowing for better story capability and carrying items, maybe finding 'extra lives,' etc. I have a very strong suspicion that the FF is what's causing the items to not work in-build, so while it may be in the next-to-following update, it is high on the list.

I can tell from looking at this list that most of these can be fixed in 0.3, save a few more technically-challenging aspects. If some things are left out, it will be some of the visual adjustments, especially since I'd like to do a visual overhaul when full release approaches.

Does the text not appear at all, or is it cut off by the screen edges, or something else?

Thanks for the feedback, super duper helpful! I really want to turn this into something truly enjoyable, so keep it coming. Not everything will be resolved in a single update, but I'm trying to get to each ticket as soon as possible.

~BlueScreen

The screen edges cut the text off.

Phew, this update had its frustrations, to be sure, but 0.3 is now complete! I've tried to fix and adjust as many bugs as I could get to this past weekend to bring the latest and greatest. Well, maybe not the greatest, but a number of big and small issues have been resolved. As always, please let me know what new things spring up, or if I happen to have missed something from the past week. Below is the changelog, as well as a list of known bugs that were either previously mentioned that I didn't get to, or ones that I discovered, but felt that they were able to be moved to 0.4.

0.3 Changelog:

What's been changed:
-Changed menu text colors for clarity
-Sign messages now stay visible while touching Rain
-Dialogue stays on screen longer
-Fixed water movement
-Increased water movement speed
-Fixed Rain not moving with platforms
-Fixed platforms moving/slowing down when Rain stands on them
-Increased Rain's jump height
-Fixed Level 4 exit and box
-Changed overall level sizes
-Made bladder range adjustable [back end]
-Made water progression toggleable [back end]
-Minor individual level adjustments
-Door hitbox and size adjusted
-Dialogue no longer hides status image
-Fixed items not changing bladder level
-Fixed Rain getting stuck on the ceiling
-Fixed repeating dialogue sounds
-Fixed undesired volume resetting

What's been removed:
-Removed ability to stick to platform sides
-Removed ability to stick to box sides
-Removed ability to stand on buttons
-Disabled bladder functions in Levels Tutorial, 1, and 2
-Removed ability to pee while drinking
-Removed ability to stack drinks

What's been added:
-Added an "interactables" indicator
-Panties now carry between levels
-Bladder fullness now carries between levels
-Music now continues across menus and levels

Known issues:

-Status image doesn't reflect carried bladder level when changing levels until Rain pees
-Ticket for bottles carrying between separate runs [was unable to replicate]
-UI, status image, and dialogue cut off or in strange positions

-No screen margins implemented in this update

----------

Thanks, everyone, I have a couple of big changes intended for the next couple updates, so I look forward to further refining 0.3 and continuing development!

~BlueScreen

rains_big_splash_demo_0.3.zip

I'm loving these quick updates! Here's my regularly scheduled feedback log:

Movement:

• Suggestion - holding jump for longer should produce a longer jump (currently there is only one jump height which can feel constricting)
  • Getting stuck to platform sides is still possible, but harder
  • I still can't move down-left or down-right. In addition, the lack of upwards movement via the W key is strange (especially when the up-arrow works)
  • New water movement speed feels about right. However, with the retaining bladder level, it presents a new issue - by staying desperate the whole time, the whole platforming part becomes trivial.

General:

• I appreciate that boxes can be pushed underwater now
  • Being inside a crumbling platform as it regenerates causes weird behavior (delayed sounds, wonky collision)
  • Is there any reason doors need to be opened after they've already been unlocked? e.g. I've already entered the correct keypad combination, why do I have to interact again to open the door?
  • On Lvl5 (symbols that flip to green with switch) the water gets cut off near the exit.
  • After entering Lvl6, bladder level drops to 80% for no apparent reason?
  • Restarting the level can have some weird behavior (going from 3 bottles to 1, bladder level increasing)
  • Rain's desperation quotes trigger as she's emptying, which doesn't make too much sense?

I haven't tested very thoroughly so if I come across anything else I'll post again. Keep up the great work!

I'm sure a lot of us (myself included) would appreciate, very much, more visible desperation. There is a small pose, but only when she pees... it's enough for now, but I figured that I'd let you know it doesn't really seem at all like she's desperate until she pees herself. Overall, though, this is shaping up to be really great, that's really my only complaint. 🙂