Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Stages of desperation and how it varies

I know that this has already been covered before with the classic 1-10 scale, but I was wondering if it differs from person to person. How does the urge progress for you? What do you experience, mentally and physically? For those who are into holding, at what point does the urge feel most pleasant to you? When does it start to feel uncomfortable? What do you do at each stage to stay in control? 

For me, it's like this:

1: No urge.

2: Slight tingly feeling. Can easily ignore.

3: Same tingly feeling but with a small amount of pressure involved. Aware the urge is coming on.

4: Pressure is more noticable now but not uncomfortable.

5: Average urge to pee. Nothing notable.

6: Bladder feels heavier and starts to feel as if it is stretching out. Tingly feeling at urethra intensifies, suggesting I should really go soon.

7: Bladder starts feeling swollen, pressure moves gradually towards the top. Getting harder to stand still, sudden movements increase the urge.

8: I become tense, restless and irritable, soley focused on finding an oppurtunity to go. Need is very obvious, even to outside observers. Waves of urgency intensify, especially when standing. Bladder feels heavy and extremely sensitive, lower belly is starting to feel distended. I experience a pulsing feeling in my urethra along with a strong tingling. Might need to bend at the waist when walking due to the level of fullness. Probably fidgeting quite a bit.

(I don't get past this point very often anymore, so some of this is guesswork based on old recollections of what it was like when I had near-accidents or true accidents) 

9: Start experiencing spasms. Have to fight to stay in control and squeeze my muscles to keep everything contained. Difficult to walk, would have to shuffle instead or take small steps. Holding myself would be beneficial.

10: I start getting these shivers, signalling I am about to wet myself. I suck in and clench my muscles as hard as I can but they will soon give out. I am overtaken by one final shiver as the urge reaches a peak and before I know it I'm peeing uncontrollably. 

I usually enjoy the feeling most at around a 6 or 7, and tend not to hold beyond that if I can help it in most circumstances. One of these days, though, I'd like to do an experiment and hold to capacity to really see what it feels like, as I have not had a true accident since the age of 11 and I'm curious to experience it again in a controlled setting. Only thing is, I always throw in the towel before I can get there. Anyways, I digress...

I'd be interested to hear you guys' experiences with desperation and how it tends to manifest. Because, although we're all describing the same sort of feeling when we talk about depseration, it might differ from person to person in terms of how and where the sensation is felt and how in tune someone is with their body's signals.

So, please, feel free to share your own scale and what each stage feels like to you. I'd love to hear some perspectives.

I gradually stopped describing them in scales because I found that it basically depends on the day how I choose to describe it. One day 10 is leaking the next day 10 is a full accident.

My preferred desperation zone is when my bladder tenses up hard. Its like that middle ground of "if this was gym class I'd pee but if is a classroom with no test, I'm holding it".

Usually anything past this involves unignorable desperation and while if I'm wearing protection or at home, I'd like to go all the way, if I'm not I'd rather not risk it because it tends to escalate very quickly and randomly from there.

Any scale is highly subjective and practically fails to work reliably even for a person who came up with it - because desperation depends on fullness and urgency. While fullness is more or less predictable, urgency is subject to a zillion of factors.

So while it's possible to say "I'm 8/10 desperate right now", this would merely indicate the current level of urgency in any given situation, not give an accurate description of specific sensations one experiences right now.

1 hour ago, April Nine said:

I gradually stopped describing them in scales because I found that it basically depends on the day how I choose to describe it. One day 10 is leaking the next day 10 is a full accident.

My preferred desperation zone is when my bladder tenses up hard. Its like that middle ground of "if this was gym class I'd pee but if is a classroom with no test, I'm holding it".

Usually anything past this involves unignorable desperation and while if I'm wearing protection or at home, I'd like to go all the way, if I'm not I'd rather not risk it because it tends to escalate very quickly and randomly from there.

Yeah, for me it's fairly similar in that it changes all the time. Sometimes I can hold it with a few leaks, other times it's either I get to a toilet now or I'm wetting myself

This is copied from a previous post, but I've only kind of rigidly timed it/taken notes once.  The whole process from empty to loss of control took about three and a half hours, and while I don't remember exactly what I drank, I'm pretty sure it involved several bottles of water and some tea...so it was very much a deliberate process.

0-1 hours, 0-4 out of 10 = Nothing initially...later feeling a little fuller but no discomfort or urgency.

1 hour = 5 out of 10.   Some discomfort, but no change in behavior.

2 hours = 6 out of 10.  Mild discomfort, some shifting and holding.

2:45 =  7 out of 10.  Somewhat uncomfortable.  Quite a bit more squirming now, harder to ignore.

3 hours =  8 out of 10.  Notable discomfort (though not painful).  A lot more squirming, rocking, leg bouncing.

3:15 = 9 out of 10.  "Rock in bladder" feeling.  Constant squirming, and physically holding myself to keep pressure applied below the bladder.

3:30 = 10 out of 10.  Muscles reach fatigue point, total loss of control and involuntary wetting.

25 minutes ago, Uniform Skirt said:

These scales aren't useful because wetting can be caused by laughter, fear, and exertion as well as the bladder being physically full. You can't put numbers on how far someone is from an accident, because a woman running a marathon will piss herself a lot faster than one sitting in a chair.

I get that, there are many things that can cause a wetting that the scale wouldn't apply to, but it can be useful in the case of holding to capacity either intentionally or unintentionally. I was using wettings due to fullness as an example, as it is what I'm most familiar with and what is probably the most common cause