Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Worst Age To Have a Wetting Accident?

How embarrassing a wetting accident is, and how society views it, is dependent on how old you are.

What do you think is the worse age to have an accident?

I’d suggest something like 16 years. At this age it is highly embarrassing and humiliating, there is peer pressure to fit in and you desperately want the approval of others, you are trying to be an adult and old enough that people expect you should be able to hold it. When you’re well into your 20’s or 30’s you perhaps are a bit less concerned about what other people think. Younger, and it’s embarrassing but perhaps less so.

I'd agree with age 16, or maybe 17 or 18.  At that age you're trying to convince the world that you're an adult, and wetting accidents are supposed to happen only to little kids.  You're also exploring the new capabilities of your body, and for some of us, being able to hold your pee for extended periods is one of them.  

It's never easy, but I think teen years are the worst, because you're the least self confident at that age and get embarrassed very quickly. In 30s or 40s is also not much better, because at that time you should be at the peak of your strength and self control. Older you are, easier it gets, because lots of people already struggle with medical problems and in general, holding pee for a long time gets harder.

23 minutes ago, CarmenCD said:

It's never easy, but I think teen years are the worst, because you're the least self confident at that age and get embarrassed very quickly. In 30s or 40s is also not much better, because at that time you should be at the peak of your strength and self control. Older you are, easier it gets, because lots of people already struggle with medical problems and in general, holding pee for a long time gets harder.

I would also think it varies by sex. Women frequently have weakened bladder control after bearing children and I think this is generally understood thus perhaps more accepted for women to have an accident past that age. 

Definitely teens or actually, anything past about age 10 or 11 in my own personal experience. Accidents are pretty rare among peers by that age. Self-confidence is fragile and that jockeying for status/popularity that dominates the teen years has already started. Some of my most embarrassing incidents from that age didn't even end in wetting my pants. The building desperation and "knowing" I wouldn't be able to make it caused a huge amount of embarrassment but I managed to get to the bathroom just in time and avert disaster.

Edited by richard3
text (see edit history)
1 hour ago, richard3 said:

Definitely teens or actually, anything past about age 10 or 11 in my own personal experience. Accidents are pretty rare among peers by that age. Self-confidence is fragile and that jockeying for status/popularity that dominates the teen years has already started. Some of my most embarrassing incidents from that age didn't even end in wetting my pants. The building desperation and "knowing" I wouldn't be able to make it caused a huge amount of embarrassment but I managed to get to the bathroom just in time and avert disaster.

What’s with the white text?

7 minutes ago, WetDave said:

What’s with the white text?

I don't know why it happens but sometimes when I  post something it comes out as  "dark on dark."  Black text on black or dark gray background. Obviously not good. I sign out/sign in/refresh page. Can't shake it. So I just lightened up the text and sent it.  Yes, maybe I could have used an off-white ...?

I was going to say any time other than really young or really old. Young children are expected to not have good control, and old people are expected to be incontinent or to have reduced bladder control owing to childbirth or prostate issues, depending sex. When you are in your Middle Ages however you are expected to be at normal capacity, beyond the childhood where it was normal not to have control, and before the old age where you start to lose control.

It is probably true that you would be judged more harshly when you are a teenager because teenagers are just monsters really. But I think that when you are in your prime adult years is also when people expect you most to be able to have self-control in general. If you are seen wetting yourself in public when you are in your 30s and 40s a lot of people might assume that you have a drinking problem or that you just don't have good self-control in general.

5 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I was going to say any time other than really young or really old. Young children are expected to not have good control, and old people are expected to be incontinent or to have reduced bladder control owing to childbirth or prostate issues, depending sex. When you are in your Middle Ages however you are expected to be at normal capacity, beyond the childhood where it was normal not to have control, and before the old age where you start to lose control.

It is probably true that you would be judged more harshly when you are a teenager because teenagers are just monsters really. But I think that when you are in your prime adult years is also when people expect you most to be able to have self-control in general. If you are seen wetting yourself in public when you are in your 30s and 40s a lot of people might assume that you have a drinking problem or that you just don't have good self-control in general.

I think during adulthood there's also a mix of threat response and sympathy. If a 30 year old pisses themselves, you assume something is seriously wrong to have caused that, and you instinctively are worried that whatever caused them to piss themselves will cause you to as well. Maybe they are sick. Maybe their employer didn't give them a bathroom break. Maybe there's a mugger. Unfortunately, the more attractive the person looks, the more sympathy they'll probably get.

Teens are in an unfortunate position because, unlike adults, teens are expected to be incompetent at everything, yet are also considered at fault for the same, so they get little sympathy. It's telling when schools limit bathroom breaks because they are afraid of drug use, like that is the solution.

I’m going to be the outlier here and say 19-23. Your considering an adult now and trying to make a new for yourself in the world. Most of the time your fresh out of the horrors of high school and trying to act like an adult. Which wetting yourself, even by total accident, is a huge hinderance to that especially if you’re in college. Your young adult life will have that memory of you not being able to hold it for a very long time or even the rest of your life if it never happens again. 

(I never had an accident at school or in middle/high school but I did some very very close calls. And I did have an accident one day AFTER school at the local Walmart but I personally enjoyed that because it wasn’t entirely on me. Things happened very quickly and couldn’t react in time and BAM! Soaked myself.)

On 9/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, WetDave said:

What do you think is the worse age to have an accident?

I've thought this through. That is that age when you are most mortified by...everything. An accident then feels like the literal end of the world.

Older than that that you can laugh it off. Not that it's great in high school, but I think you can own it more then. As a full adult? You can 100% own it. People will tease you still, sure, but it's never going to feel as bad or as *defining* as it does when you're about 12.

Speaking from experience, I'm still far more embarrassed admitting that I wet my pants in Grade 7 than I am admitting having an accident a couple years ago. The former is mortifying, the latter is funny (well, it's a little embarrassing, but  when I've told the story most people laugh *with* me, rather than *at* me).  

@Peafowl

"Teens are in an unfortunate position because, unlike adults, teens are expected to be incompetent at everything, yet are also considered at fault for the same, so they get little sympathy. It's telling when schools limit bathroom breaks because they are afraid of drug use, like that is the solution."

Unfortunately in my high school that was the solution, because they found drugs and alcohol in the girls bathroom they closed all of the girls bathrooms except for one so you had like five stalls for 750 girls roughly speaking, with four minutes between class to use them and only one bathroom open on the first floor that was out of the way for most of the day. And then you had to otherwise rely on teachers to let you go when they usually would. But that was another one of my personal pet peeves, punishing everyone for the actions of a few.

That said though I don't think I ever witnessed a wetting during all of that time, but I have to assume that I wasn't the only girl sitting with my legs crossed all day, and there were a couple of instances where a lot of the female students seemed to be a little bit antsy and seemed to be rather agitated when the teacher told them no.

Again it's rather surprising looking back but maybe back then I wasn't on the lookout for it because back then I was looking for desperation on everybody else and was mostly focused on my own. But you had to consider the majority of the female  student body was going most of the day without getting relief, so that had to be a very intense and uncomfortable situation to be in. But again going with my other thread I don't think that many of the girls talked about it, but I know that I couldn't have been the only one who was extremely uncomfortable all day.

But you are right that I think that there is little sympathy for teenagers as I think that high school is where they prepare you for the brutality of the real world. Even though all of the bathrooms were locked and it was impossible for most of the girls to go to the bathroom they didn't get any sympathy for the teachers, who basically thought that they should once again be able to hold it all day if they really had to, no matter how uncomfortable that was. Of course the teachers had their own bathroom in the teachers lobby so they didn't have to worry about the situation. So it was another one of those situations where you were told suck it up girls this is sort of your own fault for the misbehavior of your fellow classmates so now everybody has to suffer.

Not sure what age is worst ‘most embarrasing’ I suggest would be middle aged or older as your supposed to be more disciplined unlike teenagers, I read about an older woman who wet herself on an airplane as not allowed to get out her seat due to turbulence I think, very embarrassing for her, the family were unhappy with the airlines policy as she was refused several times an emergency pee, however to pee yourself as a teenager must be embarrassing as not a kid any more expected to behave like an adult,

18 hours ago, sammilove said:

I’m going to be the outlier here and say 19-23. Your considering an adult now and trying to make a new for yourself in the world. Most of the time your fresh out of the horrors of high school and trying to act like an adult. Which wetting yourself, even by total accident, is a huge hinderance to that especially if you’re in college. Your young adult life will have that memory of you not being able to hold it for a very long time or even the rest of your life if it never happens again.

I think at that age it could be acceptable if you did it while drunk for example.

I think middle school and high school are the absolute worst. Teenagers are just becoming socially conscious, and they have very definite ideas about what is cool and what is not. If you break the rules, you won't have any friends until you get the hell out of there and go to college. Having said that, I will also say that there was one young lady who had an accident and wet her pants -- quite visibly and all the way down to shoes -- at the spring carnival when we were in our senior year. And by God, even though everyone else mocked her and made fun of her and I didn't know her very well and we hung out with different crowds, my fetish got the better of me and I could not resist asking her out for a date.

@SoBursting

"Where I grew up the travelling carnival would come to town and pitch up on spare ground and there were no toilets, mostly we would get by without needing to go for a few hours as we never had enough money to stay longer but I did see some desperation occasionally and one time 2 girls were dying for a piss they went behind a truck and squatted,"

They had those things in my town as well pretty much every summer, and it's true that they never bothered to bring toilets, as I guess they figure it's usually in a public place. They would have a couple of carnival rides and games and stuff like that but they never sprung for a porta potty. I never saw anyone squat and pee behind a truck or anything like that, generally I would stay for as long as my bladder could take and then I would go running home afterwards.

Couple of criteria for me, it's got to be at an age when you're too old to have an accident but still while your peers at the judgemental age. At a point people realise that you've probably wet yourself for good reason. Based on this and from my own experience I'd say it would start at 8 and probably run all the way through to early 20s. 

I say this as despite being embarrassing accidents under 8 never prompted much of a response from peers, it seemed to be from 8 that comments would start. Upper end is more of a guess just based on attitudes of people of differing ages.

1 hour ago, EEin said:

Couple of criteria for me, it's got to be at an age when you're too old to have an accident but still while your peers at the judgemental age. At a point people realise that you've probably wet yourself for good reason. Based on this and from my own experience I'd say it would start at 8 and probably run all the way through to early 20s. 

I say this as despite being embarrassing accidents under 8 never prompted much of a response from peers, it seemed to be from 8 that comments would start. Upper end is more of a guess just based on attitudes of people of differing ages.

I had a friend at school who wet himself aged 10. He’d been playing at lunchtime and must have put off going to the toilet until it was too late. He got teased a bit but not too much. He was a bit embarrassed though not excessively so. He got a clean pair of trousers from the school and just carried on with his day as normal. After that day I don’t remember it being mentioned again.

Based on that incident I feel like it doesn’t become a big deal until older.

Another data point here. A friend’s daughter, aged about 6-7, sat on my knee one day and wet herself. She just got up, looked at the wet patch on my leg, said “sorry” and just went off to play with her brother not bothering at all about her wet clothes. So I guess at that age it’s no big deal but by ages 8-10 it is becoming embarrassing  

She’s about 30 now and when I see her I wonder if she has any memory of that incident!

Well it could be very situational, based on how or what happens afterward.

Let's say you are at a hotel, is going down the restaurant with your parents, you are 16 and having an accident...

Even thou this is not the first time, your parents would probably ask of you to go up and change...

But if you are like 12, they might have brought extra cloth to change, and ask of you to go to the bathroom to change, or perhaps they treat you as a younger child, and even go with you and change you in public at the restroom, NOT is the cabine-rooms, but just at the sink or so, exposed to whom ever may walk in there. (male or female compartment based on which parent helping you.)

If you are between 9 to 12 they might even change you into a diaper  at the the restroom, in a corner.

I heard of a 14 -years-old boy wearing a diaper, well this was because of medical reasons, but still it's possible.

And this could become even more embarrassing then just the accident it self...

They probably would not go that far if you are 16 or more...

...so i believe in some cases it could be situational.