Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Childhood Misconceptions

Did you make any assumptions from a young age about how peeing or pee-holding worked? Maybe these misconceptions were caused by lack of knowledge on human anatomy, or not being allowed to know what the other gender "had down there."

I'll start.

Since most guys feel our need to pee at the tip of our dicks, I had assumed that the pee was at the tip when we felt the need to go, and so I thought that the feeling of having to pee meant that my willy was starting to quickly fill up with wee (from the small intestines which I thought pee came from). This scared me because I believed that if I held it too long, my willy would get "full" and could explode with pee. I was forbidden from knowing the actual purpose of genitals so it seemed logical to me that the penis would only exist for storing pee.

This didn't stop me from wondering where girls held their pee. I didn't know exactly what girls had for genitalia - just that they had some kind of hole instead of something sticking out. Upon asking a sibling, they went with my misconception and told me that girls specifically "held it inside of them," leading kid-me to believe only girls had bladders as they actually exist (as opposed to storing pee in the genitals).

Even after learning what a bladder was and that everyone had them, I still believed for several years that my bladder would burst if I held my pee too long. So I tried not to.

Does anyone think this is funny or have their own childhood misconceptions?

I used to think the reason why girls had to sit on the toilet was because that we peed out our butts. I guess I didn't realize that that other hole that I peed out of wasn't part of my butt! But I remember that there was this one kid that I knew when younger who was sort of a religious fundamentalist who said that women were punished by having to sit down to pee and deal with lines and everything, and looking back I can't help but think that he was probably one of us. But as a child I always wondered why boys were able to pee so easily like that where as we had to go through our butts!

Incidentally I also thought as far as the birds and bees went for a long time I thought that a woman got pregnant by having a guy having sex with her in the butt and then she would poop out the baby! Maybe this is why I'm a lesbian... So I definitely had some weird notions about human reproduction and everything with the pee pipes.

8 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

Incidentally I also thought as far as the birds and bees went for a long time I thought that a woman got pregnant by having a guy having sex with her in the butt and then she would poop out the baby!

It seems you’re not the only one - I was reminded of this hilarious item in the news a couple of years ago about a Chinese couple who were struggling to conceive - turns out they were doing it wrong. 

https://www.newsweek.com/couple-couldnt-conceive-because-theyve-been-having-sex-wrong-way-four-years-1089162

I remember being in primary school and mates always saying their "willy was going to pop/burst' because we too, all thought that's what happened when you held for too long, and that pee was filled up inside the 'willy' when your body was ready to go. It's just that you had to hold in until break times in school etc.

I'm not really sure what the logic was regarding how we as kids assumed the desperation would end, though. I mean, did we think that would actually happen or did we think we'd just wet ourselves? or both? Or did we think that we wouldn't wet ourselves if we kept trying our best to hold it, until it popped? And even then, does that mean we preferred that alternative to simply wetting ourselves and not potentially dying, which I think we knew would have been a possibility even at that young age (of about 10ish).

I do remember the girls always laughing at boys when that happened, reminding us that "no, you won't. You'll just wet yourself. Seriously, just ask the teacher for a toilet pass again!".

1 hour ago, Windows XPee said:

I remember being in primary school and mates always saying their "willy was going to pop/burst' because we too, all thought that's what happened when you held for too long, and that pee was filled up inside the 'willy' when your body was ready to go. It's just that you had to hold in until break times in school etc.

Another funny thing is how, if this were actually true, at some point you'd actually have to hold it and you'd notice it swelling up. I don't recall being in situations where I had to hold it in very long at that age, and I would've asked to go immediately, because the thought of even seeing my willy bloated with wee was scary already - I wasn't even sure if it would swell up before going boom, but I definitely did not want to find out.

23 hours ago, Axelia said:

Since most guys feel our need to pee at the tip of our dicks, I had assumed that the pee was at the tip when we felt the need to go, and so I thought that the feeling of having to pee meant that my willy was starting to quickly fill up with wee (from the small intestines which I thought pee came from).

I used to believe something like this. There was a stage where I thought pee was stored in your testicles, but that didn't last too long, but I had a misconception for quite a while about the feeling of needing to go. When I was a kid when I was desperate to pee I'd feel it strongly at the end of my penis, and I thought this meant the pee was actually IN my penis kinda pushing on the end trying to get out. Which is why it made sense to me that when I was bursting, if I squeezed and held myself it'd help because it would stop it from going further down the penis and coming out.

Can't say how old I was when I worked out it was just a sensation and that my genitals weren't a storage device (well, at least not for pee), but it did make sense for a while based on how it felt and my understanding of penises as soley a tool for urination!

3 hours ago, Windows XPee said:

I remember being in primary school and mates always saying their "willy was going to pop/burst' because we too, all thought that's what happened when you held for too long, and that pee was filled up inside the 'willy' when your body was ready to go.

I remember another kid in Primary School describing this and saying how if you waited too long it'd explode and then there'd be "little bits of willy everywhere" 😂 - I imagine Omorashi might be a lot less appealing if this was a genuine risk!

25 minutes ago, Tellnoone said:

I thought all boys would start wetting their beds in their teens. I had heard of nocturnal ejaculation but misunderstood what it was all about. I was so disappointed when someone told me i got it all wrong! 😆

That’s kind of the reverse of children who think women wear nappies when they discover period products…

@WetDave

"It seems you’re not the only one - I was reminded of this hilarious item in the news a couple of years ago about a Chinese couple who were struggling to conceive - turns out they were doing it wrong."

I actually read that story years ago and wrote a humorous fictional story based on it so I guess it must be a common misconception.

One thing I always used to fear when I first started learning about actual reproduction was I felt that you could maybe get pregnant if guys ejaculated on a toilet seat and you sat on it, which made me paranoid about the idea of becoming pregnant for a long time, and even now I still have a long-standing fear of the idea of pregnancy, but I realize that you're not going to get pregnant from sitting on a toilet seat that a guy has peed on.

Again I never had penis envy or anything like that but I always did think it was kind of weird when I was younger the guys had this easy implement that made peeing so easy and girls didn't, like why did we not get this convenient little apparatus that makes peeing so much easier? Even at a young age it just seemed like that little bit of extra tubing made life so much easier for guys when it came to relieving themselves and that was something I always was trying to fixated on and felt was baffling.

Maybe that is why when I was younger I sort of half believed that guy who said that women had to pee sitting down as sort of like a punishment for the garden of Eden. Of course now I'm militantly anti-religious so I have changed a lot, but perhaps stuff like that is one of the major reasons why LOL.

I used to think urine was actually in the testicules… I was probably 5 or 6. I just remember looking at them thinking “Is this my bladder?” I learned later that my bladder was actually in my lower abdomen, but still had no idea what my balls did… all I knew is that it hurt when I touched these to hard lol. 

And when I was really little I used to believe girls didn’t pee, because they don’t have a penis. Eventually I learned they do pee… from where? Who knows, such a mystery…

I knew a bunch of specific details of this stuff when I was little just never the whole story, because my parents loved to teach me, but had to hold back at times for obvious reasons. I loved science and still do. The human body will never stop fascinating me…

Many parents are uncomfortable about discussing anything that involves sex or genitalia with their children, so we have to get our information from our peers or draw conclusions from bits and pieces that we see and hear.  Some of that misinformation can be humorous to us as adults, but when we were kids we believed it!  Perhaps we need to do a better job of teaching anatomy and sexuality in the elementary schools in the US.  My parents told me nothing, but my grandfather had been a doctor and we had medical books in the house, so I got a lot of information that way.  I was still startled when I ejaculated for the first time!

When i was little my stepbrother and his friends use to beat me up after school. I kinda wrote bout that on another thread. but they always called me names and said I was gay. I didn't even know what that was then. They started to say they would let me go and not beat me up if I pissed my pants. Like about the first time I gave in pissed myself so they wouldn't hurt me they said that proved I was gay cause only gay ppl piss their pants. I totally believed that back then. I'm like the boi everybody knew was gay in school so I kinda didn't prove it was wrong.  I think I was like 14 or 15 when I found out str8 ppl also pee their pants. I was like WTF and was kinda mad about believing them.

Not about peeing or pee-holding. I never got anything explained but I kinda just picked stuff up myself I guess. Obviously not all of it but enough that everything I learned when I finally got some limited sex ed made sense anatomically. But I did have another funny childhood misconception that was related to peeing.

Most gendered bathrooms I saw when I was a young kid had the boys' bathroom nearest and the girl's further away from wherever you went. Total coincidence. Even in the same elementary school the higher grades had it the other way around. But I thought I saw a pattern, and since it held up everywhere I knew about I assumed there must be a reason. I came up with the most logical explanation of all - it must be because girls are cuter when they wet themselves than boys! That was my opinion at the time, and since they put all the girls' toilets further away, they must be doing that specifically for that reason! Why else would they do that everywhere? They wouldn't just punish all girls like that if there was no reason? It must be because literally everyone on the planet likes to see girls wet themselves! Why wouldn't they?

That idea didn't stick around for long obviously, when I started to regularly see bathrooms placed the other way around. But it is an insight in one of my first attempts at logic.

Edited by TheGreatNobody (see edit history)
On 9/11/2021 at 3:59 AM, DesperateJill said:

I used to think the reason why girls had to sit on the toilet was because that we peed out our butts. I guess I didn't realize that that other hole that I peed out of wasn't part of my butt! But I remember that there was this one kid that I knew when younger who was sort of a religious fundamentalist who said that women were punished by having to sit down to pee and deal with lines and everything, and looking back I can't help but think that he was probably one of us. But as a child I always wondered why boys were able to pee so easily like that where as we had to go through our butts!

Incidentally I also thought as far as the birds and bees went for a long time I thought that a woman got pregnant by having a guy having sex with her in the butt and then she would poop out the baby! Maybe this is why I'm a lesbian... So I definitely had some weird notions about human reproduction and everything with the pee pipes.

Apparantly there is a common misconception that like, women will shit a lot when having a baby. I remember some doctors semi-corrected this. They said it CAN happen, IE a woman will take a dump while pushing out the baby, but its not 100% guaranteed

@TheGreatNobody

"Most gendered bathrooms I saw when I was a young kid had the boys' bathroom nearest and the girl's further away from wherever you went. Total coincidence. Even in the same elementary school the higher grades had it the other way around. But I thought I saw a pattern, and since it held up everywhere I knew about I assumed there must be a reason. I came up with the most logical explanation of all - it must be because girls are cuter when they wet themselves than boys! That was my opinion at the time, and since they put all the girls' toilets further away, they must be doing that specifically for that reason! Why else would they do that everywhere? They wouldn't just punish all girls like that if there was no reason? It must be because literally everyone on the planet likes to see girls wet themselves! Why wouldn't they?"

That's actually really funny and that's something I noticed as well, it seems like the boys bathroom is always closer and the girls bathroom is more out-of-the-way. I really noticed this a lot in elementary school and I thought that it was really unfair because we only had a limited amount of time a day to use the bathroom, where we had to sign in and out and the boys bathroom was right next to the classroom and the girls bathroom was on the other floor and down the hall, so the boys could usually go to the bathroom several times a day and be back in a minute whereas the girls could usually maybe manage only one bathroom trip the day, because the girls bathroom was further away. I think once again it's just the fact that society places men's needs first and women's needs secondary.

I hadn't really thought about how that was true everywhere, but I think that you are right, however in lots of places or most places it is normal to have the men's and women's rooms right next to each other, but it was definitely true than elementary school they had the girls bathroom much further away, which was a major inconvenience and extremely unfair to the girls by a used the bathroom sign in and where you had six minutes a day to use the bathroom and it would usually take the girls their full bathroom time a day just to go once.

15 hours ago, Bart said:

I used to think that adults never pee in their pants and that they can't wet the bed.

I suppose you don’t think of it ever happening post-potty training age until you see it happen or hear evidence of it.

There was a girl at my school who wore nappies due to medical issues (and did so until teenage years I think) so I probably believed it was possible for adults, but only found out what “incontinence” was at around late primary school age, and was a bit older when I first saw evidence of adult-sized absorbent products for such a purpose.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it as I think that it would make sense for guys to assume that their testicles or scrotum had something to do with holding because you figure here is a little pouch, what are they exactly storing in there? Well obviously it must be pee!

I have to admit I am more embarrassed because when I was younger I used to think that men's testicles were actually shell pasta inside of a little sack! Again I can't help but wonder if these are one of the reasons why I eventually turned out to be a lesbian…

I grew up extremely sheltered.  We lived way out in the country, so outside of school I didn't have a lot of contact with anyone else around my age.  Even when it came to school, I went to a small school in a small, fairly conservative and fairly religious community. 

I was 12 before I learned that girls sat down to pee, but even then I had no idea why that was the case, or if they sat 100% of the time, or just some of time.  It wasn't until I was 14 and we had any sort of sex-ed in school that I learned girls had different parts down there than guys, but even then I had no idea what those parts looked like. All we were shown were medical diagrams depicting the internals.  I was 16 before I learned what girls looked like externally.