Sign In

"Line to the restroom" simulator / Bathroom self-control tool

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heyo, I had insomnia this night and I didn't come up with anything better than to code a little omorashi program for myself. Then I thought someone else will find it useful too, so here we are.

!!! UPDATE !!! I added the wildcard feature 🥳 How does it work: - With each person coming out of the bathroom, there's a ~15% chance (1 out of 7 to be precise) that something unexpected

Update!  What's new: - I added some simple CSS, and now it looks much better 🙂   - Rewrote UI to make it more clear and user-friendly - Now you can start it with random set

Posted Images

@Kanako

"- You're asked how much time you're going to hold roughly. For example, from 5 to 15 minutes, from 10 to 30 - you can set any time you want.

- You don't know exactly how much time left until you're allowed to go. The program randomly chooses the waiting time within the timeframe you predefined earlier."

I find this to be a rather interesting idea and an interesting program, and I could see how you want to set it within a specific timeframe, the bathroom line is often highly unpredictable and doesn't go according to your needs and desires, so maybe you could include an option that throws a wildcard in there. Like although you will set it between 15 or 30 minutes maybe here and there it will just occasionally throw you a 45 or 50 minute line making you forced to wait a lot longer than you were planning on to factor in that uncertainty about how you really can't plan for when things don't go the way you want!

As I was going to say in a thread that I plan to write later hopefully today the bathroom line can be very unpredictable and sometimes impossibly long. Sometimes you think I will go to the bathroom at the end of this thinking that the line will be 15 minutes long and then you find it much much longer and you might not be able to wait that long or you might find it uncomfortably long having to wait that long.

Or if you really wanted to include a wildcard maybe you could include a situation where occasionally the bathroom ends up breaking down from all of the use so the person is left not getting to go at all!

On 8/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, DesperateJill said:

@Kanako

"- You're asked how much time you're going to hold roughly. For example, from 5 to 15 minutes, from 10 to 30 - you can set any time you want.

- You don't know exactly how much time left until you're allowed to go. The program randomly chooses the waiting time within the timeframe you predefined earlier."

I find this to be a rather interesting idea and an interesting program, and I could see how you want to set it within a specific timeframe, the bathroom line is often highly unpredictable and doesn't go according to your needs and desires, so maybe you could include an option that throws a wildcard in there. Like although you will set it between 15 or 30 minutes maybe here and there it will just occasionally throw you a 45 or 50 minute line making you forced to wait a lot longer than you were planning on to factor in that uncertainty about how you really can't plan for when things don't go the way you want!

As I was going to say in a thread that I plan to write later hopefully today the bathroom line can be very unpredictable and sometimes impossibly long. Sometimes you think I will go to the bathroom at the end of this thinking that the line will be 15 minutes long and then you find it much much longer and you might not be able to wait that long or you might find it uncomfortably long having to wait that long.

Or if you really wanted to include a wildcard maybe you could include a situation where occasionally the bathroom ends up breaking down from all of the use so the person is left not getting to go at all!

Thanks! You got the idea right. I’ll think about the wildcard feature, maybe I’ll implement it a bit later.

Update!

What's new:

- Fixed the logic a little (now it works exactly as described in the first post)

- Added a sound when someone frees the bathroom (so you wouldn't miss the notification)

- Added a stopwatch as requested @Stanley79

If there'll be more people interested in this project, I'll also make it prettier. Upvote or comment to show you need it 😉

EDIT: Stopwatch appears to be laggy when you minimize the browser window or switch to another tab. Don't really know how to fix it now, I'll look into it later. Meanwhile, stay at the same tab if you want it to work correctly every time. It only affects the stopwatch though, the rest of the program should be working correctly in any case.

EDIT2: Stopwatch is fixed in the newer version (see below).

WaitingInLine_v1.1.zip

Edited by Kanako (see edit history)
9 minutes ago, WatchMeWiggle said:

I don't know anything about JavaScript. Would It be possible to add a visual to see how many people are in line?

Also, when I tried it out the timed went way past the upper limit I selected. Maybe I did something wrong? idk, but I wanted to let you know! 

Thank you for trying it out and for the feedback!

Hmm, interesting, I just tested it with these settings, and it worked. 
1249950229_Screenshot2021-08-17at01_58_42.png.f7f1778b6f6511c6cedf6fab43fdd350.png

Did you try it with a smaller timeframe? If yes, did it work? If no, could you please set "from 1 to 2" and try again?

If it didn't work even with a smaller timeframe, could you please open a console while being in the page (fn+F12 or cmd+option+J on Mac, Ctrl+Shift+J on Windows) and check if it says something in console when you click "Submit"?

Also try out the new version (attached). I fixed the timer in it.

I can add some visual, but it won't be breathtaking 🙂 Just a simple 2d visual representation of the line.

WaitingInLine_v1.2.zip

On 8/16/2021 at 11:19 PM, WatchMeWiggle said:

I don't know anything about JavaScript. Would It be possible to add a visual to see how many people are in line?

Also, when I tried it out the timed went way past the upper limit I selected. Maybe I did something wrong? idk, but I wanted to let you know! 

image.png.34cc3205d3e1051770db17acbd51eea0.png

If the visual were even just stick figures it would be good especially if they could be crudely animated to simulate varying degrees of desperation.

Update! 

What's new:

- I added some simple CSS, and now it looks much better 🙂

1737380890_Screenshot2021-08-20at00_46_38.png.a7343e0859cbc641bb5166b88ff43a82.png

- Rewrote UI to make it more clear and user-friendly

Now you can start it with random settings. No need to fill in the form if you don't want to - you only need to click the button. I would really recommend you to try this out - this way you truly feel the cruel randomness of the situation you happened to be in 🙂

Stay tuned for more updates in the future 😉

WaitingInLine_v1.3.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this out the other night, it's certainly not bad, certainly adds something! But it could use a few tweaks. When you're the last person in line it says "there are 0 people in line", which is unclear. I'd replace that with "you're next in line", because I didn't realise it meant there was still someone 'in the bathroom' that I was waiting for. Next idea of course is a constant counter to show how many people are still in the line, displayed on the page. Third, the message "someone else came in" should be "someone else came out of the bathroom" for clarity, I thought the app was adding people to the lineup when I read that first!

Edit: also sount effects! The door knob is a nice touch, but I'd say go further and add a toilet flushing and a sink running as well (I know this idea is the most difficult of the lot to implement, but thought I'd suggest it!) 

Edited by Varys (see edit history)

Hello everyone! Thank you for the feedback, it was very valuable ❤️

@Varys Thanks for the suggestions, they all do make sense. They're also not so hard to implement, so I'll do that in the next release 🙂

@DesperateToes Hmm, the audio should be working automatically when someone frees the bathroom (it's just the sound of the door opening to alert you about the line moving). If it doesn't work, it should be the issue on your side. Maybe try another browser?

@holdinggirl94 Any ideas for improvements? 🙂

@NotDusty Thanks for trying it out! I'll think of ways to make it more random.

@KrisAbyss and everyone else interested in the Android version - I'm glad you also find this idea useful 🙂 It will take some time to implement it though. But I'll do that!

Stay tuned 😉

Very good idea and a pretty good execution as well; although I have a few suggestions that would make it better:

• More sound effects like peeing, toilet flushes, and sinks running which would make it harder to hold (and make it more immersive). I know a lot of people want this
  • Multiple stalls which allows 2 or more timers to be on at once, again giving it more realism as no bathroom would just be one toilet
  • Unexpected elements like random malfunctions which can cause a stall to be broken (and repairs that can repair the stall); people leaving the line; and people that cut through you in the line
  • Have the latest version be on the first post so you don't have to scroll down to look for the latest update

The code is just Javascript and HTML so it was easy for me to add some stuff to it (screenshot below is just a mock up and most do nothing)

image.thumb.png.85c97bfee23676f3d312a2125270d7f7.png

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no see! 

New version coming in. What's new:

- Rewrote notifications a little, so it's more clear what's going on.

- Added new sounds! Now when someone leaves the bathroom you'll hear a toilet flushing, followed by running water (and then the door sound from the previous version is played).

- Added a counter which shows the amount of people left in the line.

Enjoy! ✌️

Bonus story for those who read my posts: I code this project when I have a mood for holding it 🙃

I usually set goals I need to finish before I can go - this time it was all the updates above and writing this post. Line counter was trickier than I thought! I was fixing the last bug with shaking hands standing in the shower. I managed to finish the work, but then I heard the sounds I added in this update (because I was testing them too) and lost it completely. I was wearing a swimsuit 😉

WaitingInLine_v1.4.zip

@NotPops Hah, thanks for running through my code, I appreciate it 😄

- I added sounds it the latest release (see above).

- Nice idea with multiple stalls, it would also be nice to make it along with the visual representation of the line. But it will take too much time and effort to implement. Maybe in the future (if at all).

- Yeah, it would be great to implement all this (especially people leaving and / or cut through you). But it is harder than it seems, I hope I'll have time and energy for this.

- Is there a way to add the latest release to the top? I tried to do that, but it seems you cannot edit the post after so much time has passed.