Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Would You Accept a Job That Was Otherwise Great if the Bathroom Access Was Terrible?

I can't believe I haven't asked this question sooner but I just have to know to satisfy my own curiosity. As I have mentioned numerous times I ended up taking a job and realizing only after the fact that it would involve me holding it for much of the day often because of a lack of access to public toilets. It may end up being irrelevant though because my job actually might be ending at the end of the summer again like it did last year, so maybe I will dodge the bullet on that one.

But I was thinking that for all the inconvenience of having to hold it all day it was an otherwise perfect job for someone like me, so although I probably wouldn't have taken a job knowingly where I knew that I wouldn't have good access to the bathroom, I'm also not going to quit the job simply because that happens to be the case, because it otherwise works out pretty well, and for all my complaining I managed to adapt to it a lot better than I thought.

So my question here for everybody is would you take a job that was otherwise perfect in every way if it also knowingly meant that you would be taking a job where you knew that bathroom access throughout the day would be quite few and far between or nonexistent, meaning that you would have to hold it for most if not all of the day?

I am just curious because I feel kind of silly sometimes that of all people, that someone who is obsessed with bathrooms the way I am, that I ended up finding myself inadvertently getting into a situation like this.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to work in an office which had no toilets. If we wanted to go we had to walk to another office building (only 5 mins away) and use theirs. Of course as we were all men we didn’t bother. We

i did. i didn’t exactly realize how bad bathroom access would be, but after the first 2 days, i realized my oab was a lot more like. just actually incontinence a lot of the time, if it took more than

I’d wear a nappy and get on with it 😉

Personally I would take it (in my current situation). At the moment I scrub dishes in a retirement community kichen, for minimum wage. As anyone could imagine it’s a tedious and unrewarding. So anything above minimum wage would be great! 

I don’t even use the bathroom much anyway. Because of a stomach problem I’ve had for the past year, I can’t eat or drink much. 

Omorashi situations over a well paying job does make a good fantasy though…

@Gatto-Italiano

It's not like a super high-paying job but it's usually only a once a week or twice a week type of thing and it's really easy and requires very little effort, the only downside for my job is that the bathrooms are often closed or nonexistent. And when I took the job, again pre-Covid, I guess I just naturally in my naïveté automatically assumed that bathrooms would be a given anywhere and didn't really ask specifically about that because I pretty much just naturally assumed.

An omorashi fantasy is one thing but it's another thing to have to regularly deal with the practical implications of going without a bathroom and having to hold it all day. But bathrooms are something you should definitely ask about when taking a job because otherwise that is how you end up finding yourself squirming among the ranks of the bathroom deprived women that you once found so entertaining to hear about…

That's why I joke when you are in college take something that you really enjoy and be in English major like I did, then you will find yourself having a job where you have to hold your pee in all day.

Again though as much as I complain about my job it really is a pretty good job otherwise, and if I was offered to return again, not having that many other options, I would probably take it.

I just still can't stop shaking my head over the irony that as an omorashi writer who is obsessed with always having access to bathrooms and enjoying seeing other women desperate, after 36 or 37 years I finally get a "proper" job and it happens to be one of those few jobs that involves having to hold your pee out of necessity. Once again, I mean of all people…

I used to work in an office which had no toilets. If we wanted to go we had to walk to another office building (only 5 mins away) and use theirs.

Of course as we were all men we didn’t bother. We’d just go round the side of our building and pee on the grass.

We got in trouble over it in the end. In the summer there was quite a strong pee smell. We had management come and visit from another office and they smelt it.

Another time I was working on a building site. There were no toilets so we just went outside. But the neighbours complained about all us builders peeing outside so the got a Porta-potty thing. But nobody used it, we still just peed outside just took more care to be discreet instead of just blatantly peeing in the open. 

A notice by email was put out at my work once saying today at 12.30 the ladies will be closed for maintenance for approx a half hour apologies for any inconvenience, there was a small leak to be maintained,

i understand ladies may need access for other female challenges but some of the replies were surprising for an arranged closure for a half hour at lunchtime,

a few never seen the email and were surprised when they went and had to wait,

Another woman was going out for lunch went to go before she went out and was surprised there was no access, she went out without a visit,

someone replied to the email ‘let us use the men’s, let the men wait’

Previous to this on another occasion the ladies was having minor work done, they were not closed as such, a young woman came back from lunch break went to go but a workman was in chatting to a male colleague, she about turned and went back to her desk, she said to a fellow female there’s a guy in the ladies and she’s bursting, the lady replied go and tell him you want in, she thought for a half a minute and got up to go I followed behind going to the men’s, she walked up to the door and doing a little pee dance  interrupted the men chatting saying ‘excuse me, will you be long?  I’m bursting’ the men said were done on you go and vacated the ladies,

Guest Aries

No, I can't say that I would. Even though I'm into omo, being desperate or not having access to a bathroom anytime soon in a public setting of any kind is just stressful personally. 

6 hours ago, WetDave said:

I used to work in an office which had no toilets. If we wanted to go we had to walk to another office building (only 5 mins away) and use theirs.

Of course as we were all men we didn’t bother. We’d just go round the side of our building and pee on the grass.

We got in trouble over it in the end. In the summer there was quite a strong pee smell. We had management come and visit from another office and they smelt it.

Another time I was working on a building site. There were no toilets so we just went outside. But the neighbours complained about all us builders peeing outside so the got a Porta-potty thing. But nobody used it, we still just peed outside just took more care to be discreet instead of just blatantly peeing in the open. 

Some years ago a contractor build several houses in my neighborhood.  He had the OSHA-required portapotty, but no one ever used it so he wouldn't have to pay to have it cleaned between jobs.  There were some trees left on most of the lots, and that's where the guys peed.  For the last couple of houses they had to walk a bit down the road to the woods, and from my limited observations a couple of them appeared to be holding to the limit before making the hike!

In my mid 20s I held such a job briefly.  So Yes back then.

But since about age 40, I've needed high-capacity diapers when away from restrooms for several hours.  The high-capacity types I've worn at night would show their puffiness through normal guy clothing.  So No now.

If I lived where needing diapers was treated like needing glasses, I guess I'd take such a job.  I don't know of any such place.

There are day when my work has very limited toilet access. Not necessarily because there are no restrooms, just because the schedule can be so packed there’s no time to use them.

Also, there are days which we are on comms systems and have to announce when we are going to the restroom, with codes for number 1 or 2. For me, being as shy as I am, that’s can stop me taking a break. I don’t want all my colleagues knowing what I’m doing.

So I pose that question: would you take a job where you have to tell everyone (not just in ear shot, literally everyone on site via a radio) when you are going to the toilet and what you are doing when you get there?

I absolutely would accept a job like that, especially if the salary was really good. I have a pretty large bladder capacity (measured around 1550-1600ml before) so would be fairly confident in my ability to hold on for long periods while staying hydrated, although obviously I wouldn't want to hold such large amounts on a daily basis. While I was a student I worked some minimum wage jobs where it could be hard to get someone to cover you for a break if you needed to pee (I worked as a retail cashier and a kitchen assistant, for example), but most of my jobs since then have been office based and bathroom access is rarely a problem aside from the occasional long call or overrunning meeting, although travelling on business can of course lead to desperate situations. 

I guess being a doctor is one such job that is highly skilled and usually highly paid, where bathroom access can be a challenge during long shifts. I know that community nurses/occupational therapists visiting patients at their homes also struggle to get to a bathroom sometimes and have to go long periods without relief, as do TV news reporters working in the field. 

I am glad to see so many interesting responses to this thread but I have noticed one distinct trend and it's something that I was totally expecting too in that it breaks down once again along gender lines, where most of the guys have no problem taking a job like that seeing as it's easy enough to pee wherever you happen to find yourself. So once again a job without good bathroom access is generally a job where guys will pee but women will hold it. I can see the most of the guys here don't seem to have a problem with it but some of the women are much more hesitant about the situation, and most would probably prefer a situation with bathrooms if there were any available option. So once again it seems like a lack of options leads to situations where women end up having to hold it all day while the men can continue to make the world their toilet. This has been my experience as well and I can tell you that you REALLY notice the difference in a mixed sex group.

@trienergy

"Yea I would. I would use the opportunity to for a holding change and try to beat my holding record every time I went to work."

I can say that my job was definitely a challenge for my bladder and it did feel like I was trying to beat my record every single time but not out of choice but out of necessity! It seemed like I was constantly pushing my limits simply because I had to but I really would have loved to piss!

@trekkie

"Being omo-obsessed, that sounds wonderful."

Wonderful for whom? For the people watching the desperation or for actually experiencing it? I think being obsessed with omorashi makes the whole situation a lot more difficult because even though you find it frustrating and would like to go to the bathroom you're also getting a sensory overload by the fact that it's turning you on and you find the experience incredibly intense. That was one of the conflicts of my job, the fact that the average person without an omorashi fetish could probably just blow it off, maybe be frustrated or annoyed, but it wouldn't obsessed their mind every single second the fact that they weren't getting to pee.

@Spectator9

"Some years ago a contractor build several houses in my neighborhood.  He had the OSHA-required portapotty, but no one ever used it so he wouldn't have to pay to have it cleaned between jobs.  There were some trees left on most of the lots, and that's where the guys peed.  For the last couple of houses they had to walk a bit down the road to the woods, and from my limited observations a couple of them appeared to be holding to the limit before making the hike!"

What did the women do?

@April Nine

"Depending on how bad. I can't go without a job obviously but if a situation is just inhumane, I'm also not going to take it. I have held some jobs where I'd have to work alone or have limited access but I'd work those although I would switch when I find a better one whenever possible"

As a 37-year-old with no previous work experience I pretty much took any job that I was offered. It is certainly not ideal but I guess the fact that I know I can hold it, even though I would much much much rather be peeing, means that I have sort of accepted the situation I guess. But again a lot of people find it ironic that I finally get a job and of all jobs it turns out to be one of those few jobs where you have to hold your pee all day. In fact a lot of people who said that I was lazy before that like seeing me getting quite a literal work out from having to hold it all day. So I guess you finally got a job, and guess who's job doesn't have access to a bathroom!

@Charlie Kirby

"There are day when my work has very limited toilet access. Not necessarily because there are no restrooms, just because the schedule can be so packed there’s no time to use them."

I still find it interesting when people make comments like that because it seems like even at a busy job you would be able to find five minutes in the day at some point to go to the bathroom providing that the bathrooms available and not everybody is going all at once. Personally I would love for there to be a bathroom even if the opportunities to use it were few, just for it to be available just so long as it is actually there!

"Also, there are days which we are on comms systems and have to announce when we are going to the restroom, with codes for number 1 or 2. For me, being as shy as I am, that’s can stop me taking a break. I don’t want all my colleagues knowing what I’m doing.

So I pose that question: would you take a job where you have to tell everyone (not just in ear shot, literally everyone on site via a radio) when you are going to the toilet and what you are doing when you get there?"

I have to say I find that a very weird type of situation as I have never heard of anything like that before. Isn't enough to just say I need to use the bathroom and leave it at that? Do they really have to know if you are going number one or number two?

@Despguy123

"While I was a student I worked some minimum wage jobs where it could be hard to get someone to cover you for a break if you needed to pee (I worked as a retail cashier and a kitchen assistant, for example), but most of my jobs since then have been office based and bathroom access is rarely a problem aside from the occasional long call or overrunning meeting, although travelling on business can of course lead to desperate situations."

I have to admit I wouldn't like being desperate and having to wait on other people or service other people while continuing to hold my other needs and everything like that. But at least in a situation like that there would be bathroom breaks still. But something about having to serve the needs of others while not being able to take care of a basic need like relieving yourself makes the whole situation a lot more frustrating.

"I guess being a doctor is one such job that is highly skilled and usually highly paid, where bathroom access can be a challenge during long shifts. I know that community nurses/occupational therapists visiting patients at their homes also struggle to get to a bathroom sometimes and have to go long periods without relief, as do TV news reporters working in the field."

While I don't doubt the doctors and nurses often take a long time to get a bathroom break the fact that one of my nurses took a bathroom break while I was at the hospital while I was waiting for my medicine made me think that if they really need one they can get one. TV reporters probably do go a long time without a bathroom as well but if they are in a city or some type of town there would probably be public restrooms for them to use at some point.

You are right though that working in the field generally refers to working outdoors away from toilets. When I took my job and was told that I would be doing fieldwork I probably should have understood that more clearly, that fieldwork means outdoors and outdoors means away from toilets. I guess I have learned that the hard way! And I feel like I was stupid for that seeing as a person obsessive with bathrooms I probably should have been thinking about that out in field equals no bathroom.

7 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

I have to admit I wouldn't like being desperate and having to wait on other people or service other people while continuing to hold my other needs and everything like that. But at least in a situation like that there would be bathroom breaks still. But something about having to serve the needs of others while not being able to take care of a basic need like relieving yourself makes the whole situation a lot more frustrating.

Incredibly frustrating, especially when my bladder was bursting and I was expected to stay polite and professional when all I could think about was how long I'd have to wait before finally getting to a toilet! Torture!

@Despguy123

"Incredibly frustrating, especially when my bladder was bursting and I was expected to stay polite and professional when all I could think about was how long I'd have to wait before finally getting to a toilet! Torture!"

Trying to remain polite and professional was something I never thought I could do with a bladder that full, and although sometimes I think you could tell by the tone of my voice that I was a little bit agitated, somehow I managed to do that. In my case though it wasn't really involving serving customers it was simply chatting with coworkers, including male coworkers who I knew had just gotten to relieve themselves. So I would be in sort of a crazy situation where I would be may be leaning up against a tree with my legs crossed discretely having a conversation with one of my male coworkers and at one point one of them even left to relieve themselves in the middle of a conversation and then came back like nothing happened, and I had to try to keep a straight face about that. Hardest thing in the world!

1 hour ago, DesperateJill said:

…even at a busy job you would be able to find five minutes in the day at some point to go to the bathroom…

Isn't enough to just say I need to use the bathroom and leave it at that? Do they really have to know if you are going number one or number two?

I know right! The big problem with my line of work is everyone spends a lot of time waiting around without much clue of what’s going on, but if you’re not ready to go the moment you’re asked to, you in such big trouble you could lose your job. Often restrooms are some walk away from where you’re working, hence why it becomes impractical to use them.

The radio thing is really annoying. I sometimes avoid it by telling a nearby colleague where I’m going, but depending what your role is, it maybe a must that you announce on the radio - mainly because someone who actually knows what’s going on may be kind enough to say if they think you leaving is a bad idea… if that makes sense.

8 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

As a 37-year-old with no previous work experience I pretty much took any job that I was offered.

@#$%!  Given how common this situation is, why don't high schools prepare students for it?  1.  If a person has the time and money to finish college (and many offer evening classes), most applicants get rejected for ancient academic weaknesses.  Many get in appealing the rejection.  2.  Some unions have dropped their age and gender discrimination policies.  Depending on the union, apprentices work at less than journey wages for two or three years.  Besides their OTJ (on-the-job training) they take some evening classes.  3.  Some jobs (broadcast technical worker, commercial drivers, auto mechanics, computer network installers and others) can be obtained by passing industry certification exams.  
All states offer a CML (commercial driver’s license) with added endorsements for air brakes, passenger/bus operation and hazardous materials transport.  Many states offer a free study guide.
For another example electronics technicians often choose certifications from either of two organizations.
https://www.etai.org/
or
https://certifiedelectronicstechnician.org/
(The basic and associate certifications have no job-hunting value.  They are gate keepers for the journey certifications.)
Most people operating or maintaining aircraft or ship and/or radar transmitters must pass an FCC (federal communications commission) license exam plus endorsements.  
https://www.fcc.gov/commercial-radio-operator-license-program
Employers hiring broadcast technical equipment operators and maintainers may require employees to have an SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers) certification.
http://sbe.org/
A biomedical instrument maintenance certification is offered by
https://www.aami.org/training
IMO, every hospital and medical instrument development company should have several AAMI-certified employees.
Those are the certifications I’m aware of.  Many exist for other fields (such as computer networking.)
Certification exam difficulty ranges from that of personal driver’s license to college final.  Excepting the CML, expect a US$75 per exam charge or higher.  Just the same, that’s much less study time and expense than a college associate degree.

@DesperateJill Just wondering. Is there a reason you don't quote the posts you are replying to? You know you can quote posts, right? I guess it's nothing wrong in doing it like you do, but it would definitely be alot easier and tidier to read if you used the quote function. Especially for longer texts, with multiple replies, like these turned out to be, the quotes and the replies have a tendency to totally blend together.

Edited by ed2 (see edit history)