Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Sleeping in Unfamiliar Place -> More Likely to have Bedwetting Accident?

I'm not sure I've seen this discussed before. Thinking back to my own experience and my knowledge of others' incidents, it seems like sleeping in an unusual place might really increase the odds of an accident. 

Myself: As a kid I only had one almost bedwetting accident. For some weird reason I was sleeping in my sisters bed (4years on me, and I must have been around 6-7) with her and our mom. I forget why, but this is extremely unusual, don't know why that was happening, but it was probably the first and last I remember. I'm sure it was my sister who wanted my mom to sleep with her for whatever dumb reason and I managed to sneak or something. Anyways I woke up at some point early into an accident. It probably didn't get the mattress wet but I did not check that. I was GONE! Note this was my actual only true bedwetting accident prior to training myself many years later, and it was minimal. 

I also know that sister once wet the bed in a relative's bed while staying over. (I actually don't know if they had much of a bedwetting problem. As far as I know, not really. But, especially because I never had the issue, it's actually totally conceivable that it could have been hidden from me. I know she was at least significantly worse than I was. 

Another, some girl that was camping with my family, while they were in their own trailer, had an accident one night (would have had to go to outhouse - legitimately terrifying). 

So, is it just more likely to just find out about an accident because they happened in more of a 'public' place than one's bedroom and it isn't really more likely to happen, or, were people really more likely to have an accident when sleeping somewhere unfamiliar? If true, my theory would be that the bed to bathroom routine is broken up. Staying at someone's house and not exactly remembering where the bathroom is or how to get there leading to hesitancy while still sleeping -> accident.

My sister actually had the opposite experience although that might be specific to her. Shes certainly had more issues when away from home so I think theres some merit to having your natural habit broken. But whether its because shes more on edge sleeping elsewhere or what, she tended to wake up desperate rather than wetting the bed.

I suspect that people generally don't sleep as deeply or soundly when first sleeping in a new, unfamiliar location. This would make me think bedwetting less likely in those circumstances.

That being said, I do recall a time when my cousin wet the bed on her first night staying with us. As well as my sister doing it one night in a hotel. Coincidences? Possibly.

When I was in Basic Training at Fort Benning I wet the bed several times. I wore my PT sweat pants to bed so it was impossible to hide due to morning PT. The sweat pants were gray so the big wet patch was very noticeable. The Drill SGT said "Private did you piss my bed" I said no Drill SGT I pissed my bed. This happen serval times. Also happened while I was training up in Canada woke up wet.