Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I had quite a few treatments or whatever you would call that, it never occured to me that something like this would even possible. I don't think these needles get deep enough for anything like that to happen. Most of the time I didn't even feel that there was something "pricking" me. (I'm not even sure if acupuncture really does anything at this point.)

Maybe If you are already really desperate and/or get startled? But than it had nothing to do with the acupuncture itself.

Several years ago for a year or two I did acupuncture every week regularly because it's supposed to help with my acid reflux issues, and while it helped for a little while I didn't feel that it ultimately helped that much that it was worth going every week. But I would always make sure to go to the bathroom before it started, so it was never an issue. But I always make sure to go to the bathroom before any medical procedure or any instance where I'm not going to be able to get up to relieve myself for a stretch of time like that.

1 hour ago, LizJWetting said:

I would assume that most people go to the toilet before doing something like that, so probably isn't a common issue. But anyway the idea of acupuncture rather freaks me out, so it's not something I would want to do anyway.

8 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

Several years ago for a year or two I did acupuncture every week regularly because it's supposed to help with my acid reflux issues, and while it helped for a little while I didn't feel that it ultimately helped that much that it was worth going every week. But I would always make sure to go to the bathroom before it started, so it was never an issue. But I always make sure to go to the bathroom before any medical procedure or any instance where I'm not going to be able to get up to relieve myself for a stretch of time like that.

23 hours ago, rachelkirwan said:

I sort of had the opposite thing happen... in that when I was a teen and we were exploring ways to deal with my wetting issues, my mom took me to acupuncture... and I freaked out at the first needle and we abandoned the experiment.

I think it's a fun idea to imagine. Like going into a session having to pee, wetting yourself, and then pretending that a nerve they hit made you lose control.

Of course, this isn't entirely ethical because they have to clean up.

10 hours ago, liesjeversteven said:

Why on Earth was this downvoted?

Some people get anxiety about needles, I guess?  I mean, that'd be the main reason I could never get acupuncture myself.  I've heard that if it's done right you don't feel a thing, but considering that one of the symptoms of having Aspergers Syndrome is hypersensitivity, I'm not taking that chance, considering that I've made the mistake of trying other reputedly "painless" procedures before only to find out that (at least as far as I understand it) those thousands of extra neurons in my brain that neurotypical people apparently don't have (past the age of five at the latest - in normal people those neurons disappear past early childhood, in people with my condition they don't, which has some benefits but also some drawbacks) does, indeed, allow me to perceive pain in ways that I supposedly shouldn't, because I have certain nerve clusters that don't exist in normal people.

Edited by D0nt45k (see edit history)
11 hours ago, liesjeversteven said:

Why on Earth was this downvoted?

I make no apologies for teenage Rachel's needle freakout (or bedwetting for that matter). It was interesting because at the time I would also pass out when giving blood and was not a fan of needles as a result. Since then I've chilled out about needles but I'm still not a fan, at all. But you know, seems like someone wanted to be relegated to the Omorashi Queen's dungeon 😉

9 hours ago, rachelkirwan said:

I make no apologies for teenage Rachel's needle freakout (or bedwetting for that matter). It was interesting because at the time I would also pass out when giving blood and was not a fan of needles as a result. Since then I've chilled out about needles but I'm still not a fan, at all. But you know, seems like someone wanted to be relegated to the Omorashi Queen's dungeon 😉

When you passed out giving blood, did you have any accidents?

1 hour ago, Artist50 said:

When you passed out giving blood, did you have any accidents?

When I was younger, I passed out like every time I gave blood (and at the hospital during the whole like scare kids straight about drunk driving thing). And did I have an accident while I was out? I don't think so? A few of the times I was wearing a Goodnite and a few times I was wearing a pad, so it's possible I leaked while I was out, but I don't recall (and didn't check).

@D0nt45k

"Some people get anxiety about needles, I guess?  I mean, that'd be the main reason I could never get acupuncture myself.  I've heard that if it's done right you don't feel a thing, but considering that one of the symptoms of having Aspergers Syndrome is hypersensitivity, I'm not taking that chance, considering that I've made the mistake of trying other reputedly "painless" procedures before only to find out that (at least as far as I understand it) those thousands of extra neurons in my brain that neurotypical people apparently don't have (past the age of five at the latest - in normal people those neurons disappear past early childhood, in people with my condition they don't, which has some benefits but also some drawbacks) does, indeed, allow me to perceive pain in ways that I supposedly shouldn't, because I have certain nerve clusters that don't exist in normal people."

Interesting because although I haven't been officially diagnosed everyone who knows me basically agrees that I'm definitely on the autism spectrum somewhere, and that I am hypersensitive to sensations in general, but I have never been bothered by needles and I can honestly say that the acupuncture needles I never felt anything at all except for maybe one time when they hit a nerve or something like that and my arm went numb. There were a couple of occasions where I had a weird reaction to the needle inserted but I never actually felt pain from the needles themselves at all, but I was never really bothered by needles all that much in general. I guess that's good seeing as I'm in the hospital constantly and I have probably had more needles per year than most will see in a lifetime.

One thing I did have a real hard time with that with the acupuncture was sitting still because it was impossible for me to go very long without scratching myself or squirming around and sometimes the acupuncture needles would fall out, although they said that if one or two fell out that it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Sitting still and not scratching myself is something I'm largely incapable of for more than 2 minutes.

So it's interesting that I'm not bothered by needles but I find it hard to drown out other sensations like the sensation of a full bladder which I find that I can't ignore in the least and that I feel a lot sooner than most other people.