Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chapter 2: Liam The sun was shining the day I arrived. Maybe, just maybe that’s a sign that things are finally looking up. About bloody time too! The flat isn’t quite as it seemed on the onl

Chapter 1 Bangor, Northern Ireland    Megan  Minutes go ever so slowly when you’re watching jeans, skirts, t-shirts, underwear and pyjamas spinning round and round in warm soapy wa

Chapter 3 Megan   Most 22 year olds go out clubbing or dancing or to the pub on a Saturday night. Not me. I’m back in my second home, well it feels like my second home anyway; St Mary’s

Posted Images

Chapter 213

Megan

As soon as my tea is finished I return the mug to the kitchen hatch and pop into the baby area to get Yasmin, who is now starting to get unsettled. I know she’s hungry so I pick her up, making sure to thank Cara and Paul for looking after her so well, and head through the crowd towards the hatch again to get my sister a small sandwich or mini sausage roll or whatever they might have. As I close the baby gate and turn around I see Liam standing and I recognise Gareth with him immediately. Gareth’s eyes appear to be heavy on my breasts which, while flattering, makes me feel uncomfortable especially when he immediately introduces me to his wife. 

Matilda is exactly how I imagined her to be: tall, slender, with beautiful long black hair, and dressed as immaculately as her husband. As much as I’d love to speak with her more Yasmin is getting more and more upset so I excuse myself and carry her over towards the food. I pick up a paper plate and put a few things on for us both then look around to see if there’s anywhere I can maybe sit down with her. As I’m looking Paul appears behind me and takes the plate from me, smiling at me. 

“There’s a table at the side if you’d find that easier? I’ll show you.” 

I follow him through all the people talking and sit down beside an elderly couple as Paul puts the plate down and asks if Yasmin drinks out a tippy cup. I nod and he returns soon afterwards with a baby cup with water in. 

“Thank you.” 

“You’re welcome. You don’t realise how hard everything is with a baby until you have one yourself. “ 

“That’s true.” 

Yasmin is reaching for the food so I hand her a cheese sandwich and turn to talk more to Paul, but he’s already left. The elderly couple beside me seem engrossed in conversation with some  others at the table so I just sit alone with Yasmin while she bites and chews the sandwich and grabs a fairy cake with her other hand, trying to put that in her mouth at the sane time. I look around at the crowds all dressed in dark colours and smart clothing and I am suddenly reminded of Anthony’s first communion not that long ago and all that happened in the back hall of St. Mary’s. It’s a sore memory but as I see Yasmin squashing the cake more in her little fingers I am relieved that she, at least, has no memory of her mam shouting and being excluded from yet another family photo. As if trying to make up for it I take my own phone out my pocket and snap another pic of her with her hands and mouth full sitting on my knee. I notice my phone is still on ‘do not disturb’ but I’m in no hurry to turn it off quite yet. 

Matilda walks past me, followed immediately by Gareth, the former touching my shoulder and saying goodbye and asking if I got the gift in leu of flowers ok and the latter winking at me like we are long lost friends and saying he really hopes we meet again. I watch them walk out trying to imagine what home life might be like for them and what their children might look like. 

Slowly the room seems to disperse as I notice Paul sitting on a seat against a back wall giving Joshua a bottle and I look around for Cara seeing her stacking chairs and wiping tables and filling a bin bag with rubbish. Liam has a constant stream of people with him and I leave him for a moment to slip back into the main church hall to get the baby changing bag to clean Yasmin up. Passing a blue buggy by the back door I suddenly remember that we only brought the car seat as I strap Yasmin back in her seat, placing a blanket over her from the bag and carrying the bag and heavy car seat back to the other hall to get Liam. 

I hope we don’t have far to walk back to his aunt’s for two reasons; one because I hadn’t realised quite how heavy the car seat is with Yasmin in it, and secondly because I’m keen to get back to Liam’s aunt’s house to use the loo. 

Returning to the hall, I pass the toilets that I’m not keen to use because I would have to leave the car seat with Yasmin in outside the cubicle alone which doesn’t feel safe. I see Andrew Watt still talking to Liam so I stand at the doorway hoping to catch Liam’s eye but he’s engrossed in conversation so I just stand and wait. Paul stands up from the seat against the wall carrying his napping son in his arms. He smiles as he passes as I tap the toe of ny foot lightly on the tiled floor wishing I could use the toilets just behind me. 

I’m still waiting by the door, the hall now pretty much empty other than Liam, the minister, Cara sweeping up and a couple of older ladies tidying up too. I stand sideways so I’m not blocking the doorway, the car seat sitting just inside the door with Yasmin sitting in patiently, when Paul returns minus the baby. 

“They still talking?” 

I nod even though it’s obvious to us both. 

“Sorry to interrupt guys but I think Megan and Yasmin are waiting to go home.” 

Liam turns to look at me apologetically. 

“Oh I’m so sorry Megan. I got so caught up talking there I hadn’t even realised everyone had gone.” 

He turns to the ladies cleaning. 

“So sorry ladies. I’ll get out your way and let you get on.” 

Cara smiles at him before picking up her anorak from the top of a stack of chairs. 

“We’ll let him off this time won’t we Annie and Ruth?” 

One nods and the other pipes up “Yes. Seeing as you’re Ella’s nephew. Good job or we’d be having words with you.” 

Mr Watt smiles at Liam then me. 

“What she means is you’re welcome here anytime, both of you. It was lovely to meet you both, though I’m sorry it took an occasion such as this to do so. Now if my lovely ladies are all finished I’d better get locking up.” 

Liam heads over, automatically picking up the car seat as I follow him out as he walks past the blue buggy with Joshua in sleeping and out the side door of the church. We’re just walking down the side path when I hear someone calling and turn to see who it is. It’s Cara and Paul. 

“You guys heading back to Ella’s?” 

“Yeah.” 

“We’re going that way too if you fancy some company on the walk?” 

Liam looks at me and I nod as Cara and Paul join us. I have no idea how long a walk is back to Westminster Road but I hope it isn’t far as my need to pee is getting stronger with every single step. 

Chapter 214

Liam 

I’ve never felt so popular before with so many people wanting to talk to me, some I know well like Sandy and Jim from next door, some I vaguely recall like some of the church folk, and many I have never ever met before but who seem to know all about me like work colleagues of my aunt’s and even a pupil from the school she worked in. So many people wanting to shake my hand, send me condolences or talk about how wonderful my aunt was. I see Gareth and Miranda leave and several times I look for Megan and Yasmin but don’t see them.  I really hope Megan doesn’t think I’m ignoring her but I really don’t want to be rude to anyone who wants to speak with me. 

In the time I am chatting and mingling I finish my mug of coffee and someone very kindly takes the empty mug from me. I don’t manage to get anything to eat, but to be honest I don’t really have time to notice as so many clamber to speak with me. The pupil from Bishops Blue Coat school nervously approaches me handing me a home made card she made. An adult prompts her from nearby as she tells me hesitantly how Miss Jude always helped her whenever she lost her timetable, needed help to check her blood sugar or needed sent home. In a quiet voice, unable to give me eye contact, she looks back at the adult who nods approvingly. “I have diabetes and autism and adhd and Miss Jude was the kindest office lady ever. She always helped me. I made this for her.” I hold the card in my hands and thank the child as the adult nods and smiles at me as she guides the child away again. 

Other than that girl the only other conversation that feels significant is with the church minister. I thank him for such a lovely service as he shakes my hand strongly, looks at me comfortingly and shares what my aunt meant to him personally. He tells me all the things she did for the church and how reliable and faithful she was and how much she prayed for me. I’m fascinated to hear that many years ago she told her house group tearfully that her prayers had been answered the day my mum left me at hers and how honoured she was to have me live with her. I feel my eyes fill with tears hearing that and thinking how badly I treated my aunt and how angry I was back then. Andrew Watt puts his hand on my shoulder telling me how my aunt never gave up on me, believed in me and prayed for me every day. 

“She was so incredibly proud of you moving to Ireland and starting a new life.” 

“Really? I thought she was upset at me leaving without even saying goodbye? I used to be with this…woman…Lauren. I always thought my aunt wanted me to marry her and that she would be devastated at me for breaking up with her.” 

“Lauren Bennet?” 

“How did you know?” 

“She was on Ella’s prayer list too. She worried about you being with her. All the upset last month with the police really affected her too. She was so so proud of you for confessing everything to the police. Did you ever tell her about Megan? I am sure your aunt would have been delighted for you.” 

“No sadly I never got around to telling her about Megan and how amazing she is.” 

“Treasure her Liam. That’s what Ella would have wanted. When are you returning to Ireland then?” 

“Thursday night on the overnight ferry.” 

“Will you sell the house and buy somewhere in Ireland do you think?” 

“I don’t know. I haven’t had a chance to even think about it.” 

It’s only when Paul mentions about Megan and Yasmin waiting that I realise that everyone else has gone. I feel awful that Megan has been left on her own waiting for me so I pick up the car seat and lead the way out. 

Walking back to my aunt’s in the now beautiful spring afternoon I have a lot on my mind as I hear Cara talking to Megan about all things babies like teething, waking through the night and having to think about baby gates and securing cupboards. It’s a whole world that until Thursday evening when Megan turned up at mine with Yasmin looking for somewhere safe to stay I wasn’t even aware of. Now, looking down at the sleeping child in the car seat in my arms, I can’t imagine returning back to Bangor to my small flat and living alone ever again. 

While the woman chat away my mind is whirling at over one hundred miles an hour. Should we go back to Bangor where I spend my days litter picking in all weathers and all we have is my tiny rented flat with the steep stairs at the front which are so difficult for Megan to manage with the buggy, my non English speaking flat mate who just appears once or twice a week for an overnight, and to her family who will likely forever threaten Megan and continually make her feel guilty for leaving home? Or do we live mortgage free here in Chester, a town full of mixed memories for me and so unfamiliar to Megan, and where at least one of us would need to get a job quickly to get money to live? Or do I put my treasured aunt’s house up for sale, moving on from all the house means to me and use the cash to perhaps buy somewhere more suitable in Bangor, a place where Megan calls home and where I have nothing but wonderful memories too? If we return to a Bangor will the Murphy’s allow us to keep Yasmin, the baby I now love as my own, or will she be swiped off the sister who adores her and taken into care? 

As cute as talk about teething gel and baby food is it doesn’t help me have any better idea what to do. I don’t want to burden Megan with it all but facing it alone seems so impossible too. 

Chapter 216 

Liam 

While the woman both head to the kitchen I quickly run upstairs for my tablet and to use the toilet quickly. I find Paul sitting at the dining table waiting for me on my return as I turn the tablet on and hook it up my my aunt’s WiFi. Paul types in the website and I find the registration document for the car that I put down safe the day before. 

While we begin inputting all the information Megan and Cara pop through from the kitchen with coffee, one carrying the mugs and the other a tray filled with crisps, a filled roll each and some chocolate biscuits. I help myself while the ladies disappear next door to the lounge for a bit. I hear them talking but I’m busy answering Paul’s questions about my address in Ireland and wether the car will be kept in a garage or car park or on the street. Finally we seem to come to the end of the long stream of questions as Paul inputs a staff code and we wait on the quote loading. 

“I really hope this helps Liam. It really is the least I could do for you mate. Your aunt Ella showed nothing but kindness to us. You know it feels really weird being here without her. How are you coping?” 

It’s the first I’ve really been asked that as I look around the all too familiar dining room and out the patio doors into the small garden. ‘Weird’ is definitely a good way to describe it as I still expect my aunt to walk in any minute. 

“I kind of feel like I don’t t belong here any more. I came here as an angry, confused teenage boy and my aunt saw me through the most troubled and difficult years of my life. Most people have their life sorted by the time they reach their early twenties. My twenties were just as traumatic as my teen years to tell you the truth. Running away to Ireland changed me. Now I’m back here with a full time job, a girlfriend and a baby and yet my aunt never got to live to see me finally settled and happy. You know I very nearly automatically went to bed in my old room last night. I guess I need to sort through all my old things too before I go back to Ireland.” 

“So you only met Megan recently? And Yasmin? Is she not yours then? Sorry I had no idea. I just assumed..,” 

“It’s fine. I met Megan just a few days after I arrived in Bangor. We actually met in a launderette of all places!” 

“And she left you in a right spin I take it?” 

“Ha ha. She most definitely did that for sure. I never even got her name or number but she left a huge impression on me.” 

“But you clearly met her again though?” 

“We did meet again another time, by complete accident though, in a library toilet! Crazy I know but that’s honestly how it happened.” 

“Oh Liam, that’s hilarious. Did she leave you feeling flushed that time? Sorry dad jokes are as far as my humour extends these days. You got her number that time though?” 

“Emm. No! I had to rush to get back to my work colleague but I was so mad at myself. I couldn’t stop thinking about her after that.” 

“We’ll being as you’re together now I guess God gave you a third chance?” 

“He did indeed. Though I almost blew that one too would you believe!” 

“You’re kidding me? 

“Nope. There was no denying it was a God thing that time too as I had some news that really upset me and stressed me and I had a panic attack. I had no idea where I was as I sat down at the side of an old building in a grave yard. Turns out it was Saint Mary’s chapel and Megan was inside praying and she came out and found me!” 

“You so need to tell Cara all this. She’ll have goose bumps hearing this. That’s got God’s hand all over it that has. Was it the news about the police? Ella was so upset over all that and she called Cara and I to pray for her, but more for you as she was so worried about you all alone in Ireland coping with it all. Cara asked her a couple of weeks ago in church how you were doing and she said you had confessed everything to the police and she was so proud of you for that. Confessing like that takes real courage. Oh that’s the email arrived with the quote. You ready to have a look then?” 

“I really hope I can do this. How much easier would it be to get everything in the car to get back over? Go on then what am I looking at?” 

Paul has the tablet in front of him hiding the figures from me. 

“There’s two choices, as I said. I always recommend fully comprehensive cover but I totally understand that might be out your budget right now and you can upgrade at anytime of course. So for basic third party, fire and theft for the miles you quoted and keeping the car outside on the road, with my staff discount you’re looking at £195.27.” 

“Wow.” 

“Fully comp is double that roughly. You can pay it over the year if it’s any easier.” 

“Oh. So how much would I need to pay right now?” 

“First instalment is two months roughly so £32.55” 

Can I check I have that available?” 

“Of course.” 

I pull my phone out my back pocket, turning it on for the first time since I got up, and I check my credit card online to see if I have any available funds. I’ve only had one wage so far and that was only for part time hours and my rent is due again at the end of the month too. While I know my aunt has left me her estate in her will I’m wise enough to know this won’t be an instant cure for my current dire finances. For now though, as long as I pay in again before the end of the month, a transaction of just over £30 should go through ok. I nod to Paul as he passes me the tablet to complete the payment details as I wait nervously to check it goes through. 

It does and suddenly I receive an email confirming I am insured to drive my aunt’s car and I shake Paul’s hand enthusiastically. 

“Thank you. I really appreciate your help.” 

“Don’t forget you need to tax it too before you can drive it. If you take the slip from the registration document you can do that at the post office or if it’s easier you can do it online too. Will we go tell the girls the good news then?” 

I can’t wait to tell Megan as I get off the dining seat and walk behind the chair. I turn round to walk through to the living room when Paul stands up too, immediately putting a hand inside his trouser pocket. 

“Would it be ok if I just used the toilet first?” 

“Of course. I assume you know where it is?” 

As he heads upstairs I look over to check the babies are still sleeping before heading to the door of the living room which has been left open. Waiting for Paul to come back down I glance into the living room at the two woman without either of them realising I am there. The two girls are engrossed in conversation, laughing and chatting, both on the same couch under the window, the empty mugs and plates sitting on the bottom of the fireplace as my eyes return to the young women as I instantly feel my penis grow. 

It doesn’t take Einstein to notice that despite the smiles and laughter both woman appear to be restless, tense and struggling. I have a very strong suspicion that Paul isn’t the only one in the house who really needs to use the bathroom right now as my body twitches and gets excited that the only way either of them can go pee is to walk right past me through the dining room and upstairs. The thought that one, or both of them, have possibly been desperate the entire time Paul and I have been sorting insurance out turns me on so much as I turn my body to the side in case Paul returns and catches my erection. 

As nervous as I am about trying to hide my own body I just can’t take my eyes of the women, one of who is sitting with both legs in front perched sideways subtly squirming and the other who is sitting right back on the couch with a hand between her tightly crossed legs, her face flushed and her top leg swinging tensely. 

Chapter 219

Megan 

After my ‘incident’ in the kitchen I run upstairs quickly to get changed into more casual clothes before returning downstairs to get Yasmin out of the car seat. I take her upstairs to change her nappy, put her into some leggings and a top and take her back down to the kitchen to get a yogurt and some fruit to feed her. I notice Liam has put the towel and dirty clothes in the washing machine and after feeding Yasmin I plan to go back upstairs with her to collect the rest of the washing and put the machine on. I notice Liam’s mobile phone and tablet on the dining table from earlier as I suddenly remember that my phone is still in my coat pocket and still on do not disturb. 

Sitting in the dining room with Yasmin I notice Liam has also changed out of his suit when he returns to the dining room wearing a pair of adidas joggers that I’ve never seen before and a loose t-shirt. I can’t help but admire his body still as he comes downstairs while I’m feeding Yasmin and asks if I’d like a cuppa. He joins me at the big table as I finally get a proper update on the car insurance that is now sorted and I suggest he looks online to see how much road tax is. 

“To be really honest with you Megan I’m maxed out on my credit card as I had to pay two months insurance upfront..”

He pauses to type some numbers from the registration document into the government website. 

“Yip this is beyond me. £155! God I had no idea it was that much.” 

“Can you pay it up?” 

“Looks like it, though they add a surcharge. It’s £13.57 a month if you do it by direct debit.” 

“You can set that up on my account if you want. Did you put me on the insurance?” 

“Yeah. I put your address as mine in Bangor. I hope that was ok?” 

“We’ll I don’t really see me going back home now, do you?” 

“I sort of guessed that.” 

“If you don’t mind taking over with Yasmin I’ll get my purse and get you the details for the road tax.” 

“You sure about this?” 

“Absolutely.” 

Handing Liam Yasmin I go to find the changing bag and dig out my purse and phone. Turning the do not disturb off I place the phone down on the table to get my bank card out my purse as the phone immediately vibrates with a missed call. 

“Is it the long number you need honey?” 

“No. It’s the name and details of your bank account to set up a direct debit.” 

“Ah. I don’t know that off by heart I’m afraid. I know it’s Halifax on the Main Street in Bangor though. Any idea how I could find out my account number?” 

“Maybe a branch might be able to tell you?” 

“That’s a great idea. I’ll google and see if the branch in Bangor has a direct number.” 

“There’s a Halifax here in Chester if that helps?” 

“Seriously? Do you know where it is?” 

“Of course. It’s in the city centre.” 

“Is that far from here?” 

“No. In fact you know the way we just walked back from my aunt’s church? The city centre is just ten minutes walk from there.” 

I pick up my mobile as I look at the screen and see I’ve missed 3 calls, two from a Shaun and one from Iain. I must look stressed or angry or something as Liam looks at me anxiously. 

“Everything ok?” 

“Just 3 missed calls from my family. Fancy a walk then after I’ve finished my tea? I assume the bank will still be open? 

Liam checks his watch and smiles at me. 

“It’s only just after 3. Do you want to call back whoever it was? Am I right it thinking it was Shaun again? You know I’m still a bit shocked at how he spoke to you yesterday. There’s no way he’d speak to any of the guys I work with like that. I feel terrible working for him now you know.” 

“It’s not your fault. He’s always liked to be the boss and have control but he’s never threatened me this bad before. Lots of digs and that sort of stuff but nothing on the scale of yesterday. He can brew for a bit though. I could do with some fresh air and once we get the road tax sorted that’ll be another thing off the list. I’ll get Yasmin’s coat.” 

Within 5 minutes we’re heading out the door again with Yasmin in her buggy as Liam directs and leads as we walk towards the city centre in the hope the bank can help me out. I’m still in shock at how different Chester is to back home in Bangor in every way. The roads are busier, the houses bigger and way more expensive, and even the shops look more modern and fresh. As we get closer to the city centre I gasp as the precinct reminds me of Belfast with its huge department stores, discount clothes stores and well known high street names. Liam appears as familiar with the shops as he is his flat back in Bangor as he quickly leads us straight to a big branch of Halifax as he pushes the door open and holds it to let me in. 

The staff are only too willing to help me and quickly provide the information I need as I double check I have enough funds for the first direct debit before thanking them and leaving. On the walk back Liam is more relaxed than I’ve ever known him as he eagerly points out the road to the Cathedral, the zoo and aquarium, the Roman Gardens and enthusiastically says how he just must me to see the amphitheater while I’m here. 

“Oh and there’s some truly lovely walks along the river too.” 

I love hearing him happy, animated and excited as I joke half heartedly that he won’t want to go back to Bangor. 

As we walk the few houses in Westminster Street to get to number 20 again Liam looks at me directly as he stands on the front door step with his key in the lock. 

“I genuinely don’t know what to do to be honest Megan. I’ve lived here all my life and this house holds a very special place in my heart. Compared to my flat in Ireland this is like a castle and I know my aunt would love it if I lived here permanently. But then maybe I could sell here and we could get somewhere together in Bangor where we both have jobs and you have family? What would you like best?” 

“We could get a house in Bangor? You really want me to live with you all the time?” 

As he closes the front door and he follows me through to the dining room where I park the buggy by the stairs and lift Yasmin out Liam gently touches my arm as I stand upright holding my sister. 

“Of course I want that. If today has taught me anything Megan it’s that you never know what might happen in life. Life is too short. You know I was talking to Paul earlier as he was asking how I met you and he really made me see something: My aunt Ella never gave up on me ever. She never stopped praying for me and believing in me. I really believe you are one of her answers to her prayers. We were meant to meet. We were destined to fall in love. I am a better man for being with you. I love you so much, and I love you too Yasmin. I’m committed to you Megan. I know we’ve only been together a short time but we’ve been through so much. Of course I want us to live together, wether that’s here or in Bangor. I want you to drive the car because it’s as much yours as it is mine. We’re a couple and I want us to stay like that forever. One day, if you want, I’d love it if you agreed to marry me.” 

Yasmin, clearly unaffected by Liam’s heartfelt speech, is trying to climb out my arms to crawl about so I put her down and fall into Liam’s arms as he holds me tight and we kiss lovingly. 

I smile up at Liam, a man I absolutely adore with all my heart. 

“Maybe we ought to sort out the road tax before we think about a wedding? I wonder how Shaun will take this latest news then? Oh and the answer is yes in case your wondering..though I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing to commit my life to a saint of desperate situations! I’ll never be able to pray to St Jude in the same way ever again!”

Chapter 220

Liam 

I can’t believe I actually asked her, in my usual clumsy manner granted! It’s like everything has changed, yet nothing has changed at all, as I amuse and watch Yasmin in the living room whilst I type in Megan’s bank account details to the government site to set up the road tax direct debit, allowing Megan peace to cook us all tea. I can smell chicken cooking as my stomach rumbles and I get a confirmation email to say my new car is now taxed. While Yasmin sits on the floor with some toys half playing and half watching TV I go onto the StelaLine site to see if I can upgrade our tickets to include the car even though I don’t quite know how I’ll pay for it right at this point. As I’m navigating the site looking for the relevant information I hear Megan’s mobile ringing in the dining room and hear her shout through asking if I can get it as she’s busy cooking. 

I pick up Yasmin and walk through to the other room where I pick up Megan’s phone and answer it without even checking who it is. I recognise the voice instantly as I look at Megan humming to herself happily in my aunt’s kitchen and I have this overwhelming need to protect her. 

“Megan isn’t available right now. Can I take a message for her?” 

I pray silently to myself that Shaun doesn’t recognise my voice as I try to keep Yasmin quiet and listen at the same time. Not wanting Megan to hear who it is or what he’s saying I step closer to the living room and allow a wriggling Yasmin to get down to her toys again. Doing my best to disguise my voice I confirm that I will pass on his message to Megan and then I hang up, terrified he might question me and find out I am actually his employee. 

“Who was it honey?” 

I want to lie but I fear this might only make things worse. As Megan brings in plates of chicken, mashed potatoes and vegetables I smile at her warmly despite my shaking hands and return to the living room for the baby again. 

“It was Shaun again.” 

“I might have guessed. Did he shout at you?” 

“Actually no. He just wanted me to pass you a message.” 

“Did he recognise your voice?” 

“I don’t know for certain but I don’t think so. This looks delicious! You are so good to me you know.” 

I love how she smiles at me, how her eyes shine and her cheeks go all rosy. 

“So what was the message?” 

“The visit went well this morning and your dad has called social services today regarding the little one.” 

“Is that what Shaun actually called her?” 

“Yes”

“Wow.” 

I carry on eating as Megan eats her meal and simultaneously feeds her sister. I look at them both, feeling such a guilt at telling them what Megan’s very own brother just said and wishing I could just magic all their troubles away forever.

“I’m so sorry love. I wasn’t wanting to tell you.” 

She looks at me again still smiling. I’m not sure if it’s a brave cover up or genuinely how she feels about it all. 

“Let’s not worry about that tonight Liam. It’s been a very emotional day already and there’s nothing going to happen tonight. If social services were that worried they’d have called me today already. The only missed calls I had were from Shaun and Iain. Did he say how the boys are at all?” 

“No sorry.” 

“Not your fault. He only called to try and frighten me you know. You don’t need to hide things from me Liam. It’s always better to tell the truth. There’s some fresh fruit and cream in the fridge if you’d like some.” 

“That sounds delicious. You want some brought in?” 

“Yeah why not. Thanks.” 

As I said earlier it was as if nothing had changed after I sort of asked Megan to marry me. After pudding she takes her sister upstairs to bath and get ready for bed and she comes back down with Yasmin in one of her one piece pop up the front things. I sort of expected that, but what I didn’t expect was my beautiful Megan coming down in a little silk and lace black top with matching knickers that take my breath away and cause my penis to immediately enlarge in my tracksuit trousers. 

“Oh my God Megan! You look stunning! I never even knew you had anything like that!” 

“I don’t! I was looking for a flannel to wash Yasmin with and found these in a drawer in your aunt’s room. I hope you don’t mind that I tried them on?” 

“Oh goodness no! Ha! My aunt’s? Now that’s something I never expected! Next you’ll be saying you found handcuffs and a leather belt in her room too…” 

“Well now you mention it Liam…” 

My eyes enlarge like saucers, my mind racing, as I look at Megan Murphy to try and work out if she’s teasing or telling the truth. 

“Ha ha! You should see your face! Seriously though I have no idea where your aunt might have got these from as looking at all her other clothes…sorry some of them were in the very same drawer as this…this is a completely different size to everything else of hers.”

“Maybe someone gave it to her?” 

I look at Megan and we both laugh, obviously thinking the exact same thing. Our voices blend together as we both laugh so hard in my aunt’s cosy living room in Chester. 

“Sandy or Jim?”

Megan puts her sister on the floor as I grab her from the side and pull her onto my knee kissing her neck and ear lobes and then her lips. 

The sexy lingerie, like so many things it seems, might be something we never find the answer to, but right now that doesn’t matter one bit. What matters is that the three of us are together on a night when I should feel the most lonely I ever have, but instead I feel deeply loved and delighted that Megan Murphy actually agreed to marry me, even if I just blurted it out rather badly. 

Whatever happens with social services and Yasmin I will always stand with her and fight for the baby every bit as much as I know she will. 

Chapter 221

Megan

Things feel so different now that Liam has mentioned us getting married one day. Ever since we left Ireland together it’s like something changed. All I have right now is Liam as I walk around a house I only set foot in yesterday for the first time, in a country I know nothing about, arriving to attending a funeral of someone I never even got to meet. Meeting Gareth I felt the odd one out knowing none of the places or people both he and Liam were so familiar with and feeling on the sidelines as they laughed and talked together. Then at the funeral as so many clambered to speak with Liam I sat alone wondering where I belonged and if Liam even wanted me there. 

Meeting Cara helped a lot but I still felt a burden to her as I shared about my family back home with her. Years of being sidelined, rejected and overlooked, only useful for making everyone else comfortable and keeping the house clean, hang over me as I do my best to make Liam happy by coking meals, keeping Yasmin settled and keeping his aunt’s house tidy. So when he starts talking about coming back to live in Chester again, or buying a house in Bangor I immediately assume he’s thinking of just himself. It’s not what I want but it’s his money, his inheritance, his choice. But he doesn’t appear to want to make that choice alone and my eyes go wide and my heart flutters as he says over and over again that he wants me, and Yasmin, included. He wants a home for us all, he actually wants my opinion on what to do too!

As Liam watches Yasmin for me so I can cook I look out the kitchen window in Westminster Street trying to imagine myself living here. I can picture Yasmin in the summer splashing in a paddling pool in the slabbed garden area, Liam and myself turning Liam’s old bedroom into a bedroom for Yasmin with pink wallpaper and a nice new carpet, building her a new cot, perhaps even one of those ones that transforms into a toddler bed? I can visualise Yasmin taking her first steps through the dining room to go into the living room to play and going on day trips together in the car. It’s like the life I always dreamed of living but which always seemed way out of ny reach. 

But then I think of Rory and Anthony. It feels wrong to leave them with mam when I know how harmful living with her is. I sigh thinking of Shaun and how he’d forever blame me if anything happened to mam or the boys because I abandoned them when they needed me. I think back to going into Rory’s school and speaking to them because Rory was so upset at something his teacher said and wonder if anyone else at home would do that for him. I wipe a tear at the thought of never being at any more of their birthday parties, missing Anthony’s first day at high school and Rory making his first communion when the time comes. I should be at all those things and more. That’s what us Murphy’s do. 

I also think of the McGintley’s and Chelsea. The thought of letting them down, the very idea of breaking Chelsea’s heart making me cry at just the thought. Working for them is much more than a job to me and they have been nothing but generous and kind to me always. 

As I boil the vegetables and mash the potatoes I think of St. Mary’s chapel, my second home. As friendly and welcoming as the Baptist church was this morning it wasn’t my beautiful St. Mary’s in Bangor. I miss chapel more than anything, especially in this the Holiest of weeks leading up to Easter. 

I’m just getting the chicken out the oven when I hear my mobile ring. Shouting through to Liam to get it for me I can already guess who it will be.  Spooning mashed potatoes onto the plates I hum Amazing Grace to myself as I feel so grateful, so blessed, to be so far away from home right now. Yasmin is happier and better looked after than she’s ever been, I’m making dinner in a lovely kitchen in a beautiful home and the man I love has indicated he wants to marry me and commit his life to me. Life is so good right now. Even though I know who is most likely calling I can’t help but think to myself: What can my brother possibly do to burst my bubble? 

Hearing from Liam over dinner about dad calling social work doesn’t frighten me like it would have in the past. Sitting my sister on my knee and feeding her homemade food that I know will nourish and sustain her I look at her lovely leggings and top that fit her perfectly. When was the last time her own mam and dad bought her clothes? When did her biological mam and dad last cook her a meal? Do either of them even know what size nappies she wears? Or how many teeth she has now? 

Maybe, just maybe it took things being so desperate at home and running away for my life to become beautiful,  just like the words on the bookmark Liam bought me back in Ireland. 

Chapter 222

Liam 

We seem to settle into an easy routine by Tuesday morning as all three of us sit at the dining table eating home made porridge that Megan so expertly makes. It’s by far the nicest porridge I’ve ever tasted. I’m just chatting casually with Megan about what we should do with the day when I hear my phone ring in the living room. I wave to excuse myself as I go to get the phone and come right back. I’m glad I’ve sat back down when the voice at the other end takes my breath away. 

It’s Lauren Bennet! 

She’s her usual manipulative self, going on about hearing from someone that I was back in England and staying at my aunt’s. 

“Hey Liam! Remember me? I’ll get straight to the point shall I: You owe me Liam. The least you can do is talk with me. Dad reckons you had some sort of a mental breakdown or mid life crisis or something. He saw all the signs with you accusing mum of not paying you properly and saying such lies about members of dad’s staff. He thinks you maybe had a fright and I was pushing you to get married too soon. You should have said you needed more time. I would have waited for you you know. I could have paid for you to see a specialist and got you help instead of running away like that. But now that you’re back and better and…well if you have the money to get a flight from Ireland then you have the money to pay me back for the contents of my car that the police tell me you threw overboard some ferry. My source tells me your aunt works at that wretched public high school across the river so I’ll call by later this morning and we can come to some arrangement. Oh and I have something very exciting to tell you…you’re going to love it! I’ll save it for later though!” 

I don’t get a second to reply before she hangs up on me and I stare at the phone in shock and disbelief. That’s all I need right now is Lauren fucking Bennet hounding me! I update Megan and do my best to explain the abuse I experienced from not just her but her entire family. She nods and I know she understands as for the first time I realise how similar Lauren is to Shaun. I still carry such a weight of guilt from what I did to Lauren though and hearing her voice brings back the panic and stress I felt before when she first posted on Facebook and then called the police. As I clear the empty bowls and mugs and take them into the kitchen I hear Megan asking innocently if I still have any feeling for Lauren after being with her for so long. 

I return to my beautiful Megan, hugging her from behind as she still sits on the dining chair holding her sister as I kiss her neck and try to reassure her that I only have eyes for one woman and that’s her. I can sense her insecurity though still as I try not to think about Lauren and her long golden hair, her long shapely legs and her perfect figure and the way all the guys at the football ogled her every time she came to watch me play.  She’s dangerous though, as are her parents, and the call, with all it’s veiled threats and undertones, makes me so angry. How dare she invade my aunt’s house! How dare she call where my aunt worked a ‘wretched public high school’! How crap is her so called ‘source’ anyway if she doesn’t even realise aunt Ella has died! I briefly entertain the idea of not being in and I wonder if Megan is thinking the same as I stand up and head to the stairs as my darling Megan looks at me carefully. 

“So…you want to face her head on or avoid her? Either way I fully support you. I mean we’re only here until Thursday anyway.” 

I step up the first few stairs about to head to the bathroom to shave and brush my teeth when I look down at Megan and Yasmin. I’d rather they didn’t meet Lauren Bennet but on the other hand what have I got to hide from her? I’ve already confessed to the police and to Megan, so what more harm can Lauren do? She can’t take what I haven’t got and even though my aunt might have left me all her estate I haven’t actually got any of it yet, other than the car, and Lauren doesn’t need to know about that. 

“I say we carry on with our plans of clearing out and taking stuff to charity. Knowing Lauren Bennett she might but even bother to show up. As you say, we leave in a couple of days and there’s so much to do!” 

I head up the stairs and then find Megan in my old bedroom when I come out. It’s weird seeing my girlfriend touching my things from my old life as I hope there’s nothing hiding that there shouldn’t be! 

“Is there any bin bags Liam? I was thinking filling all the bags of rubbish on the landing and anything you want to keep we bag up on the bed. Not so easy with Yasmin here but we’ll see what we can do.” 

“Perfect. I’ll be right with you.” 

I race to the kitchen, find a roll of bin bags and head straight back up to join Megan. It’s great to see so many of my old clothes as I fold up jumpers, shirts, t-shirts, joggers, jeans and shorts and bag them to take back to Ireland. Some of my old footwear I bag to be dumped and others I keep. Pulling out a pair of old football boots from the bottom of the wardrobe I look at them for a moment before deciding to bin them. My football playing days are well over even if the boots do bring back some great memories. 

“Did you only play for local teams then?” 

“I began playing for my school team, then a youth club and Chester Lions and we won the junior league one year. I got picked to try out for Chester FC at one point too. Never got in but was a great game nonetheless. That was when I met Lauren. She used to hang around the clubs with some of her rich friends. The guys all fancied her and her dad was trying to get some sort of advertising deal with the club so it was a bit of a competition to see who could get her attention. I was never out the gym in those days and she knew exactly how to get everyone’s attention, including mine! I was young and naive and full of issues after my mum left me.” 

I pass things to Megan pointing to the relevant bag for them as Yasmin sits on my bed blocked from falling by Megan, playing with some old DVD’s. It feels good to talk about Lauren and my past so easily and I feel like it no longer has the hold on me it did before. As Megan ties another bag to put in the hallway she asks me to sit beside Yasmin so she doesn’t fall and I pause to talk to and play with the baby. 

“I tell you something young lady. I won’t ever let anyone treat you like Lauren treated me, ok? And I won’t ever leave you like my mum did either.” 

Megan is just coming back in the bedroom door when we both freeze hearing the doorbell. There’s only one person we are expecting and I pick up Yasmin and carry her down with Megan right behind me.

Chapter 223

Megan 

Wow does Lauren Bennett have presence! That’s how Iain would describe it anyway as she barges into the house like she owns the place. Yasmin looks scared in Liam’s arms as Liam quietly invites her to sit down as I stare at her in shock. 

She’s like someone right off the pages of a magazine, hair sitting perfectly, make up to the hills, high heeled shoes that are marking the carpet and wearing a revealing fitted dress that leaves little to the imagination, her figure like that of a model rather than an average woman. Added to all that she’s tall, aided of course by her footwear that adds at least an inch to her height. She refuses to sit, though she looks across at me and gestures that maybe I ought to sit rather than her. I immediately have a huge dislike of her, and not just because she’s Liam’s ex. 

Her eyes size me up before she suddenly laughs loudly and mockingly. 

“Your standards have clearly fallen more than even I thought they would! I see you’ve found another gullible bitch to satisfy your animal needs! I assume you’ve told her your criminal history then? Your cowardice behaviour and thieving ways?  Oh my Liam you haven’t half let yourself go too! Your a right mess you are Liam Jude! Just confirms what dad told me mind you. I did warn you you were getting that dreadful middle age spread and now look at you? And what in the name of God is that in your arms?” 

I can’t keep quiet any more as I reach to take Yasmin from Liam as if this somehow eradicates the evil words that have just been spoken about her. Liam seems frozen to the spot, his mouth open as if desperate to speak but unable to find any words, as he lets me take Yasmin from him without a fight. 

“This is Yasmin, my baby sister. Not that it is any business of yours though!” 

“Oh a feisty bitch is she now? Exactly the sort a weak and deceitful man like you needs to keep him in order I expect. So what brought you back to auntie’s little sweet home again this time?” 

She looks at me pitifully as if I’m some sort of piece of dirt she can’t even bare to look at never mind touch. 

“He’s no fucking man is our Liam. Never grown up and always running back to his little auntie   whenever things don’t go his little bunny wunny way. Making up stories like a little boy clambering for attention. Except he’s no mr nice guy either! Not by a long fucking way! Best get rid of him now little tramp girl. I’m taking him to court you see. Did he tell you about stealing my Porsche and my most precious family jewellery that he knew damn well meant the world to me.” 

She turns to face Liam who is now standing with his head bowed at the edge of the room like a little child getting into trouble for stealing a biscuit. He seems ashamed, frightened even, as Lauren continues her never ending tirade or hatred and lies. She raises a hand dramatically and wipes her forehead without ever actually touching it. 

“How could you do that Liam? My gran’s necklace, my grandpa’s watch, my great aunt’s rings. Is that how you repay me when all I ever did was look after you? Who was it paying whether we were out to eat? Whose cars did you drive? Whose house did you stay in? And what do you do? Fucking throw it over a bloody ferry! You need help Liam Liam! I would offer to get you it but you know what..you’ve wasted more than enough of my money already! 

Anyway, since you’ve once again came running back to your stupid auntie again then don’t think I’m letting this drop. Mum did some calculations for me and with the value of the Porsche, the jewellery and the money it’s easily 85 thousand you owe me. I thought we could maybe make a payment plan, set up something for you, only because you did at least get the wedding rings. Oh and don’t worry about them honey. I sold them online a few weeks ago and made quite a profit too. It’s called business, not that you’d know anything about that. So what do you think? A couple of thousand a month?” 

If Liam isn’t going to speak up then I definitely am! 

“Who do you think you are coming in here spouting your trollop? To start with let me assure you Liam has confessed everything to me! Firstly, are you aware that his aunt doesn’t even live here anymore? She was found dead just over two weeks ago and yesterday was her funeral. Not that you seem to care about that! And as for your money…you can go sing for that! He abandoned the car and it was found completely undamaged exactly where he said he’d left it. Those precious family treasures you talk about? If they were so precious to you why were they just sitting in the glove box of your car? Anyway that’s a matter for the police since you reported them missing and I have no doubt your insurance will have already paid out for those. So Liam here won’t be paying you a penny. Oh and while I mention the police, just in case Liam forgot too tell you, they took photographic evidence from Liam and he told them everything you did to him. You are nothing but an abusive bully. Now you are upsetting the baby here so if you don’t leave right now I’ll be calling the police.” 

Inside I am shaking but outside I hold Yasmin calmly and quietly taking a few steps closer to Liam to support him. 

“Oh that’s fucking hilarious that! Right little Scottish joker you found there Liam!” 

For the first time since Lauren arrived Liam finally finds his voice as he speaks clearly but without looking at Lauren. 

“Irish. She’s Irish not Scottish!  Look why did you come here? Megan just said my aunt has passed away and I only said my final goodbye yesterday. Haven’t you any compassion and care?” 

Lauren seems to soften on hearing Liam’s voice as she suddenly runs right up to him throwing her arms around him dramatically. 

“Oh you poor thing! We’ll don’t you worry about your aunt because I come bearing some wonderful news for you.” 

She reaches into her expensive gold trimmed clutch bag hanging over her shoulder elegantly and pulls something out. I recognise it instantly having seem many before. Holding it carefully in front of Liam like it’s the Crown Jewels in her hand rather than a black and white medical printout she uses her free hand to pull my boyfriend’s head upright to face her as she raises the photograph to show him. 

“This is our baby Liam. I did tell you before you left, in case you’d forgotten. You’re going to be a dad. Due date is 18 October. That’s why I need the money. It’s for your child. You wouldn’t abandon your own baby now would you? Not when you of all people know what that’s like! I’ve written down my bank details. I’ll check next week to see if you’ve started paying me. If you haven’t then it’ll be taken further. I’ll see myself out shall I? Not that I want to stay a minute longer in this filthy shit hole anyway.” 

And at that she walks out slamming the front door behind her making Yasmin cry.

I though Shaun Murphy was bad but Lauren Bennet is in another league entirely. 

Chapter 224

Liam

Just seeing Lauren again brings everything back as I feel intimidated, remorseful and embarrassed all at once. She’s every bit how I recall her being: commanding, attractive and very much in control! I know better than to argue with her, having tried too often in the past and faced the consequences. Her vile hatred and vitriol fills the room with such anger that I bow my head and refuse to even look at her. She doesn’t deserve eye contact, in fact she doesn’t even deserve to be listened to. 

The more she spouts her abhorrent abuse the more I feel my anger rising though and when she starts aiming it at Megan I have to say something. Why did she even have to bring Megan and Yasmin into this? Her issue is with me not them! I guess she’ll not be dropping the police case now, though I’m beginning to wonder if maybe I should play her at her own game and claim I had a breakdown and therefore wasn’t responsible for my actions? Maybe I could even claim her abuse drove me to do it too? 

Fuck! This seriously can’t be true! She can’t be? Oh my God! I glance at the scan in disbelief and then immediately to Megan. I can’t even bare to look at Lauren, not just because I abhor her so much right now but because her eyes draw me, her body lures me and I can’t ever give her that power over me again. I’ve escaped that once and I promised myself never ever to go there again. 

But this…this changes things. What the fucking hell am I meant to do now? Is it even true? Would Lauren be so low, so spiteful to show me someone else’s baby scan to control me and bribe me? Why the fuck would anyone do that? Surely she’ll start to show soon? Even she wouldn’t be that foolish surely? It’s not the first she’s lied though? 

Oh God I can hardly breath! The room keeps moving. My feet are slipping on the carpet. Megan’s voice is getting fainter and fainter. 

Blackness and silence cover me as I come to to Megan kneeling over me stroking my forehead and saying my name. Was it just a bad dream? I am in bed safe? As my eyes refocus, and I sit up slowly, I look around at the familiar living room as the realisation hits me all over again: Lauren Bennet is pregnant…with my child. 

A tear runs down my face silently as I feel Megan’s hand gently wipe it away. 

“It’s okay honey. You’re ok.” 

But I’m anything but ok! My life is a fucking mess all over again! I can’t even run back to my aunt for safety because she’s gone too. No wonder my own mum abandoned me! Megan doesn’t deserve me. Why should she stick with me now when another woman is having my baby? She doesn’t deserve that. I love her too much to put her through something like that. 

“Stay sitting down Liam. Wait and I’ll get you a glass of water. You went down with some bang. You gave Yasmin and me such a fright!” 

I can see Yasmin sitting on the floor looking at me but I can’t see Megan anywhere while I rub my eyes and then use my arms to steady myself on the living room floor. Megan comes back with a glass of cold water and I sip at it carefully, my hands shaking and my head throbbing. 

“Has…has she left?” 

“Yes. You’re safe now Liam. You fainted but you are ok now. Have you hurt yourself anywhere?” 

“I…I don’t think so. But…the baby?” 

“Yasmin is fine. She was in my arms the whole time. She’s safe and well. It’s you I’m worried about Liam. God that Lauren is quite something. I actually can’t find the words to actually say what I think. How long were you with her?” 

“I was 20 the day we first kissed. That was 11 years ago.” 

“You were with her the whole 11 years?” 

“It was a very intense on and off relationship. She went abroad a lot. Sometimes for months on end and other times just for a random long weekend. I never knew when or where. She said it was none of my business. Then sometimes I was the ‘in thing’ and we went for meals, to the theatre, to parties and all that and I wasn’t allowed to leave her side, not even to go to the gents! I always had to be in the mood whenever she wanted it. I could never be tired or have a sore head or have a match to play in. In the end I had to stop playing for the team as they all got so pissed off at me never showing up for games because Lauren had something on that she wanted me to go to with her. She never told me when things were so I could never plan and if I protested we’d have a huge fall out and I’d come back to my aunts. Then she’d give me the silent treatment for months and then suddenly I’d come out of work one day and she’d be there again all dressed up in her sexy clothes with her long kegs flashing at me and her hair down just like she knew I loved and I’d be right back with her like a lost puppy. I knew it was stupid but I couldn’t resist her and she knew it! She’d be all over me and I’d feel amazing and then I’d wake up one morning and she’d be gone again, to God knows where. 

Things went on like that until I lost my job at the frozen food factory. The company went into liquidation and I had no football to fall back on and no qualifications from school and suddenly I had nothing. She found out through someone I worked with and things really changed after that. She told me she would sort things for me and I foolishly trusted her. She spoke to her parents and her dad offered me a job. Worse thing I ever did. I think I told you before how her mum did the accounts? To begin with I was paid in full and all was ok. I hated the job but I needed the money so I put up with it. Then my wages started being short. Ten pounds here and there and stuff until one week when I had no wage at all. When I mentioned to Lauren she laughed so much it scared me. She said I must have made some mistake. It must be my bank or something. She found the whole thing hilarious for some reason. 

Then she started shouting at me saying she’d heard rumours from staff that I was having an affair with her dad’s secretary. She started hitting me, throwing things at me and scratching me. Later on she apologised and said she was all hormonal and she was late with her period and thought maybe she was pregnant. Of course I got all excited then. I’ve always dreamt of being a dad. I had no idea that this was just playing right where she wanted me and suddenly she announced then and there that, of course, that was why she had attacked me…it was because she loved me and didn’t want to lose me because she was having my baby. I believed her and forgave her but the next morning when I was in her en-suite shaving I noticed something in the bin. Thinking it was the positive pregnancy test I picked it up. But it wasn’t what I thought it was. It was a used tampon. She wasn’t pregnant at all. 

That’s when I started to doubt her more. I wanted to question her and kept waiting for the right time but suddenly she had another business trip to go to and she disappeared for another month or so. On her return she never contacted me. It was when I went to see my friend training at the stadium that I saw her again flirting with the other players and loving their attention. She never expected me to be there and when she saw me she looked away. In the company of others I suddenly felt braver so I shouted over to her asking how the pregnancy was going. I knew she’d be furious but it felt good suddenly having power over her. 

But I lived to regret that as she put on these crocodile tears in front of everyone saying what a bastard I was and that it was my fault she’d lost the baby and she never wanted to see me again. She then text to apologise and asked to meet me down the river for a walk to talk. She turned up in one of her shirt skirts, her shaved long legs on show and her hair pleated in front of her all enticing and alluring. As soon as she kissed me I was putty in her arms again and she promised we’d try again for another child. I stupidly believed her Megan. I know it sounds terrible, but I did. Other than my aunt I had no-one else. 

For a while things were ok but I lost trust in her. I still wasn’t being paid and work life was horrendous. Her parents made my life a misery and one night I felt so down I just didn’t feel like making love to her. She got so angry and spiked my drink and beat me and raped me. Then she started going on about us getting married and made me order rings with what little savings I had. I was out of it on whatever she had put in my drink and once the rings were ordered she laid in the bed and then told me again that she was pregnant. I wanted to believe her but something told me it was another one of her lies. 

I couldn’t sleep, despite the drugs she’d spiked my drink with, and once I saw she was asleep that’s when I ran away. 

I didn’t think it was true Megan. You have to believe me. I didn’t actually believe  she was having my child…”

Chapter 225

Megan 

As the door slams closed I let out a breath that I hadn’t even realised I was holding. I’m still in shock at everything about her and what she’s said as I look at Liam and see his face is chalk white, his eyes are glazed and closing and his legs are sinking. Suddenly he falls to the ground, crumbling like a concrete tower block when it’s had explosives under it. The thump reverberates right through the house as I worry he’s concussed himself or injured himself somehow. I sit Yasmin down immediately on the floor and roll him into the recovery position checking he’s breathing and that he hasn’t swallowed his tongue. 

Loosening his clothing I gently call his name until he finally responds. Reassuring him that he’s ok I instruct him not to get up while I run and get him a cold glass of water. Returning back I’m so relieved to see him sitting up again and sipping at the water even if he seems initially a little confused and pale. I’m so touched that the first person he asks about is Yasmin. It’s a testament to how caring and attentive he is that my baby sister is his first thought after being unconscious. I don’t think he has any idea how much I love him and how concerned I am about him right now. 

Having now met Lauren so much of what Liam tells me makes sense as I listen intently as he confesses in detail about the years of abuse and torment he suffered at her hands and those of her family. As Yasmin crawls around his legs and happily plays with the laces of his trainers I listen intently to everything, my heart breaking and tears rolling down my cheeks freely. How could anyone treat another person like that? What sort of evil person lies about a pregnancy and abuses someone they claim to want to marry? Then to add to that by threatening them the day after their beloved aunt’s funeral? I shake my head silently as I sit right beside the man who has my whole heart and life, desperately wanting to make everything better for Liam but powerless to change the past.

All I can do is hold him as I wrap my arms around him as we sit on the floor both crying, both still in shock at the events of the last half hour. I pull out of Liam’s arms suddenly as I hear Yasmin making an unusual sound. Immediately pulling Liam’s shoelaces out of her mouth I pick her up in shock. 

“Don’t do that Yasmin! You can’t eat them! They’re dirty! I think I’d better go get her something to eat Liam. Do you think you can stand up? Here let me put Yasmin down and I’ll help you onto the sofa. Just sit there and I’ll bring you in some lunch into here ok? Yasmin shhhh I’ll get you lunch in a minute honey.” 

I help Liam onto the couch, slipping off his trainers and pulling his feet up onto the couch, then picking up Yasmin, who is now crying. 

“I’ll be right back in a minute ok. Just lie there Liam. Don’t get up, ok?” 

He nods as he rests his head on the arm of the couch and closes his eyes. I only hope he doesn’t roll off or anything as I dearly wish I had a high chair to put Yasmin in like at home. Instead I have to hold her while I open a tin of tomato soup and heat it in the microwave for Liam and Yasmin. Trying to butter bread is so hard while Yasmin squirms and cries in my arms as I look everywhere for a tray to carry it through to Liam. I can’t find one anywhere so I carry the buttered bread into the dining room followed by the soup, very carefully as I have Yasmin in my arms too. I hand Yasmin a rich tea biscuit and place her on the floor while I wake Liam again and hope he’s steady enough to be able to come through to the dining room. He wakes easily and with support he comes through and sits down in front of his soup. I pick my baby sister up and get her smaller plate of soup and carry it through from the kitchen and then sit next to Liam to make sure he doesn’t fall, with Yasmin on my knee as I exchange her biscuit for bread and blow on the soup before giving her some. 

Once Yasmin has had enough soup and I’m satisfied Liam has a bit more colour in his cheeks too I wipe Yasmin’s face and fetch some iced water for Liam and some warm milk for Yasmin.  Picking up Yasmin again and sitting her on my knee I place my hand on Liams thigh. 

“It’s going to be ok Liam. Whatever happens I’m not leaving you. And you are most definitely not paying that bitch a penny ok!” 

“But what about my baby? I can’t abandon my baby Megan. I’m not like my mum.” 

“You are not like your mum, or your dad Liam. There’s almost 6 months before the baby will be here. Let’s take a day at a time right now ok. Are you finished your soup? Was it ok?” 

“Yes. It was lovely thank you.” 

“Do you feel strong enough to hold Yasmin a minute while I get myself a drink? I’ll be right back.” 

Liam puts his arms out as I carefully hand him the baby to hold while I get myself a cold drink. I might not have fainted like he did but I still need something to help me over the shock. I pour a large glass of fresh orange and drink most of it in the kitchen before turning to head back through to the dining room. 

Looking across the large wooden table I see the most precious amazing man holding my Down’s syndrome sister in his arms cradling her so gently and lovingly as she sucks contentedly on her bottle. As he looks down at her then over to me our eyes meet intensely as I smile across to him. As far as I am concerned he’s already a father in my eyes. A damn amazing and wonderful father too. 

“When she’s finished drinking that I think she’s ready for a nap. Would you like to lie with her for a bit? The last 48 hours have been very eventful and I think a nap would do us all good. The sorting can wait an hour or so.” 

I head over and kneel beside Liam and kiss his cheek, careful to not disturb Yasmin as her eyes are closing in Liam’s arms. 

“I love you Liam Jude. Nothing that’s happened today changes that ok?” 

He doesn’t say anything with his mouth but his eyes say all I need to hear. No Shaun Murphy or Lauren Bennet can come between us. No threats of social services, or being disowned from my family, or financial threats from an ex girlfriend, or even hearing of another woman carrying Liam’s child can tear apart our love. We need each other more now than ever. All three of us in desperate situations that somehow need to turn miraculously into something beautiful, even if I have no idea how right now.

If only I was back in St Mary’s chapel praying my rosary and looking at the Christ on the cross. I close my eyes for a second and feel myself back there praying with every fibre in my being. 

Suddenly I understand why my dad always went to mass whenever mam got sick. He wasn’t running away, he was actually doing the only thing he knew to cope. 

Chapter 226

Liam 

My head is thumping but looking down at the sleepy child in my arms my heart is breaking too. All I have ever wanted in life was to be loved and cared for. I assumed I’d get that from my mum and while she did her best she didn’t cope well with motherhood and leaving me with my aunt was her final betrayal of neglect really. Aunt Ella, bless her, gave me the security and support I’d never had, but by the time I came to live with her the damage was already done. I’d then looked for love in all the wrong places clinging absurdly to someone who really didn’t care or love me at all. But here in my arms, resting against my body, is an innocent baby who loves me unconditionally, trusts me totally and looks to me to love and protect her. 

Then my eyes meet Megan’s as I look deep into her soul and see nothing but pure love and kindness. A woman full of innocence and truth, who sees the best in everyone and would give her life for someone she cared for. A woman of honour, gentleness and faith. A woman whose body might seem average to some but to me is the absolute epitome of perfection. A woman who I need and adore more than anyone in the world. 

She understands me, connects with me, cares for me and is willing to stand with me even though another woman is carrying my child. She’s either crazy or besotted with me. Both seem equally ludicrous right now, though I admit my emotions are all over the place and my head is pounding so much I can hardly stay sitting up. 

A lie down definitely seems the most sensible thing right now as Megan takes the sleeping child from me and I follow her slowly upstairs to bed. I have to fight against myself not to turn into my old room as I gaze into my aunt’s bedroom utterly heartbroken at the thought of never seeing her again. Megan puts the baby down and supports me to get in to bed too as I lie gazing in the dim light at Yasmin, reaching out to touch her face and stroke it to make sure I’m not dreaming. She’s so beautiful, so perfect, as I drift to sleep wondering what a baby of my own might look like. 

I’ve no idea how long I’ve been sleeping for when Megan gently wakes me by kissing my forehead and saying my name. Waking to her kneeling on the bed beside me feels like heaven as she smiles down at me lovingly. Her warmth, her gentleness, her care are in such contrast to Lauren that I blink to make sure she’s real. 

“I thought you might appreciate a coffee?” 

Wow! She can even read my mind! I sit up in the bed, resting my back against the headboard as I reach for her hand and just hold it. 

“Thank you.” 

“You feeling any better now?” 

“Yes, thanks. I’ll feel even better when I’ve drank this too. You ok?” 

“Yip. I kept busy while you were sleeping. I took the bags from earlier downstairs and I’ve been quietly sorting through your aunt’s things in here while you and Yasmin napped. There’s three bin bags of your aunt’s clothing all bagged up for charity. I haven’t tied the bags incase there’s anything you wanted to keep, but otherwise they are good to go. You had a text on your phone from Mr Lyon’s at the co-op asking you to call him tomorrow at the office. Oh and Gareth called too but I told him you were not available and he said he’d call back later.” 

I nod, processing the information slower than normal as I wake more and sip at the delicious coffee. It tastes amazing and instantly seems to revive me. I notice Megan isn’t drinking though. 

“You didn’t make yourself a coffee or tea then?” 

“I had one when you were sleeping. Made myself a sandwich too. I also googled charity shops. Do you think you’re ok to drive or would you let me drive? There’s a shop not too far from here. A Salvation Army one on Hoole Road. I thought we could maybe drop the bags in before they close tonight?” 

“You could walk to that one it’s that close honey.” 

“Really?” 

“Yeah. Parking is murder on that road too. How many bags did you say it was?” 

“Three of your aunt’s clothes and two from your room. There’s another bag of rubbish too.” 

“Is it all clothes, shoes and stuff?” 

“The ones for charity yeah.”

“We might be better going to the big recycling bins at Tesco. That way there’s no hurry. Maybe after dinner we could go a little run in the car?” 

“What about the rubbish bags?” 

“We could take them to the tip tomorrow? It’s about ten minutes by car up at the Sealand industrial estate just on the outskirts of town. Be as well to do one big run if we can.” 

Our voices must wake Yasmin as Megan turns to see her playing with the duvet cover. 

“That sounds perfect. I’ve left your aunt’s bags just in here so you can check them. I’ll take Yasmin down and start dinner. You sure you feel ok to come downstairs yourself?” 

“Yes. I’ll be fine. I’ll finish my coffee and come join you both.” 

Megan walks round the bed to get Yasmin and picks her up but just as she’s heading out the room I hear the doorbell ring again. 

“I’ll get that Liam. You stay there. Is the key in the door?” 

“Should be.” 

I drink the rest of my coffee in one long gulp, slide out of bed and head to the top of the stairs. What if it’s Lauren again? Surely even she wouldn’t come back twice in one day?

Chapter 227 

Megan

I’m keen to carry on with sorting out the house and keeping busy while Liam and Yasmin nap so I make myself a mug of tea and a sandwich and take them upstairs while I carefully open Liam’s aunt’s wardrobe and drawers and sort through her clothes. She was clearly a lady who looked after her things as every dress, skirt, blouse and jumper is in pristine condition and so neatly folded away. It seems so wrong to be touching someone else’s things but I know whatever Liam decides to do with the house neither him nor any buyer will want a wardrobe full of someone else’s personal things. 

When I pop downstairs with my empty plate and mug I pick up my phone and do a quick search of charity shops in Chester. There’s so many of them though and it takes me several minutes to try and figure out which one might be the nearest to Westminster Street. I settle on the Salvation Army one eventually thinking that this might be somewhere Liam’s aunt might have approved of. Hearing Liam’s mobile ringing downstairs I rush back down to answer it before it wakes either Liam or Yasmin up. I’m relieved to hear it’s Gareth and I deliberately keep the conversation light and to the point promising to pass on that he called. When I finish the call I notice a missed text that I obviously didn’t hear from upstairs as I can’t help reading it and taking a note of it. I must remember to let Liam know when he’s awake.

I tidy up downstairs for a bit then make a coffee to take up to Liam. I hope he’s feeling better. Maybe a bit of fresh air and a ride in the car to the charity shop will do him the world of good. When Liam sits up I’m so happy to see he has a lot more colour in his cheeks and he seems a lot calmer. I update him on the missed call from Gareth and the text while he drinks his coffee and I gently suggest a run to the chairing shop before it closes. I had no idea the shop was as close as Liam says, though I still feel using the car would be easier then trying to carry heavy bin bags. Liam’s suggestion of the clothing bins at Tesco seems reasonable and I’m more than happy to be guided by him, especially as I don’t know Chester like he does. 

I’m just carrying Yasmin downstairs after she wakes when I hear the doorbell go. After earlier I’m  more nervous about answering than ever but at least with Liam upstairs if it is Lauren I can hopefully close the door on her before Liam ever sees her. I won’t allow him to be subjected to her abuse twice in one day! 

To my huge relief it’s just Sandy and Jim from next door with some hot food for us all.  I invite them in as I can’t manage the food and carry Yasmin as I am suddenly relieved that I tidied up earlier. As they head through to the dining room and into the kitchen to put the dishes down Liam comes downstairs looking as happy to see them as I was a minute or so previously. 

“Beef casserole with dumplings. Hope that’s ok? There’s some crusty bread there too and some home made muffins for later. Ella was always helping us out. I feel awful that she was here all alone when she…you know…and we didn’t even realise. That service was lovely yesterday though. First I’ve been in church in years you know. I always had this fear of being judged and not being allowed in. Funny thinking about that though because Ella was the least judgemental person you could ever meet. It took her a long time to realise we were gay though. You remember that Liam? And the time at the garage?” 

“Oh Sandy that day at the garage…you need to tell…Megan isn’t it? You’ve got to tell her about the garage story!” 

I look at both the men more curious than ever as Liam pops round to the kitchen, leaning on the wall, and I guess from his expression he’s trying to recall the so called ‘garage story’ that the neighbours are already giggling about. Thankfully Sandy fills us in between giggles and having to pause to control his laughter. 

“You know we have that double garage? Ella always used hers for her car and the people before us did the same in our side of the garage. We had other ideas though and turned ours into a gym…except we forgot to mention that to Ella. One weekend she was out at the garage hoovering her car and washing it and stuff and we were next door working out. Ella had her garage door open and Jim was right at the front of our side near the closed door on the rowing machine. Unbeknown to us Ella could hear the machine moving forwards and backwards and she could hear Jim panting and puffing. She could also hear us talking and I shouted over to Jim saying, ‘this is the best place for doing this isn’t it. So much more space to really enjoy it.’ Sandy panted back something about struggling to keep up with me. We had no idea of course that Ella was next door listening to us. I’d been drinking loads while working out and by the time I was finished on the treadmill I was bursting for the loo. Actually it was really bad, and not realising Ella was there right outside I opened the door to go back to the house holding myself like this. Well you can imagine what your poor aunt thought Liam…she stood there looking at me, her face as pink as a peony and this horrified expression on her face. At first I had no idea why she was looking at me the way she was but as I was practically pissing myself I started heading back to the house quickly. That’s when Ella shouted back to me like this…” 

Both of the grown men are so consumed with laughter by this point that it’s contagious and starting to realise what Liam’s poor aunt must have thought was going on both Liam and myself look at each other and burst into laughter too. When Sandy starts putting his hands on his hips to show us what Ella Jude did I can’t stop the laughter as I anticipate what’s about to happen next. 

“She was like ‘Sandy! Do you really think it’s appropriate to use a garage for…emm you know what….and it’s hardly appropriate to be..well, you know…touching yourself in public like that either! If you really want to use your garage for that would you please at least try and keep it down a bit. I’d appreciate that. It’s not that I have an issue with you being…liking Jim like that..it’s just….well I really think things like that should be done privately don’t you?” 

It’s a good job Liam is standing against the wall as Sandy mimicking his aunt is causing him  to laugh so hard he can hardly stand up as I have tears of laughter running down my cheeks too. Looking at Sandy still holding between his legs the way he was that time and thinking of him desperate to pee and stopped from doing so, albeit not deliberately, by Liam’s aunt also turns me on a fair bit too. I’m desperate to know what happened next as I calm myself enough to ask. Sandy resumes his crotch holding stance as before and continues on. 

“Of course I suddenly realised what she must have thought was going on and my face went beetroot as I had to grab and squeeze myself so much as I was seriously needing to piss. I was just in a pair of cycling shorts and a t-shirt too that fitted snug as I could feel myself growing you know where…not for the reason Ella Jude was thinking but because I honestly was about to embarrass myself and make a puddle! I started pee dancing and trying unsuccessfully to convince your aunt that it was all innocent and she’d got the wrong end of the stick but the more I tried to tell her and the more I struggled not to piss myself in front of her the more it sounded even worse!” 

Sandy is unable to continue for laughing as Jim manages to finish the story for us. 

“Apparently Sandy said something about it being an emergency but that I had all the right equipment and we’d spent ages making sure everything was just where we wanted it and she could come and watch us if she wanted..he obviously meant working out but he was so bursting for the bathroom he wasn’t thinking straight and not realising he was just making things worse. When he started heading towards the house again before he had an accident he called back to her saying ‘you’ll probably hear us lots I’m afraid Miss Jude. It our favourite way of releasing stress you know!” 

Since we’re all laughing I have to ask. 

“So did you make it on time to the toilet?” 

“Not really! I started leaking going up the stairs and had to put on clean shorts to go back to the garage. That was just the final straw though as Ella, who was the queen of observation, noticed right away and asked if everything was ok on my return. Since it was partly her fault I just matter of fact said ‘the other ones got a bit damp here. Nothing that can’t be washed though thankfully.” Of course at this poor Ella turned away and pulled her garage door down and went inside. It was days later before we saw her again but we did show her the gym and she was so mortified at herself especially when Sandy said he’d only been holding himself as he had to piss so bad. God she was a brilliant lady, she really was. We’ll never have another neighbour like her. One in a million.” 

“I haven’t laughed so much in years. That was so funny!  Do I need to heat the food or anything? You know we so appreciate you both popping in. I’ll never be able to look at your garage now though!” 

Liam looks at me and winks. 

“Maybe we need to try that rowing machine out eh Meg?” 

“Just don’t go drinking two litres of water though eh! Right Jim we’d better leave these two to enjoy their dinner. We’re going up to the garage tonight..just in case you hear us…” 

The neighbours leave to us all still laughing. It was just the tonic both Liam and myself needed, though I really need to get Liam to hold Yasmin for me as all that laughter has made me bursting to pee myself now! 

Chapter 228

Liam 

I’d forgotten how much of a laugh Jim and Sandy could be! I’m not sure they’d ever told me the garage story before but Sandy’s impression of my aunt is so spot on I’m almost peeing myself with laughter. I can’t recall ever laughing this much in years and it really does seem to miraculously heal my headache from earlier. I’m glad to see them leave though as the earlier drink with lunch and coffee after my nap combined with so much laughter is making me just as desperate to piss as Sandy was in his story! As soon as I close the door I turn to rush upstairs to the loo only to be stopped in my tracks by Megan. 

“Honey, please would you take Yasmin a minute. All that laughing has made me seriously need a wee!” 

Before I can say anything back she’s practically thrown the baby at me and I chase behind her wondering what on earth I’m going to do! Holding Yasmin on my hip I am right behind Megan as she runs through the living room, then through the adjoining dining room and up the stairs. I need her to know that I have to go too…very badly! 

“Meg wait! I was just about to go too! I need you to take Yasmin back! I’m absolutely bursting  sweetheart.” 

She doesn’t reply to me as I clamber up the stairs struggling with the baby and trying not to wet myself. Megan pushes the bathroom door open as I gasp at the sight of the toilet facing me. I can’t wait for Megan to go first. I just can’t! I can feel my penis actually shaking in urgency and about to burst any second! 

“Megan! No! You don’t understand babe. I’m about to do it in my trousers here! Please take Yasmin…please…” 

She doesn’t reply though as I watch her turn, pull her skirt up and her knickers down in one furious action as she starts peeing loudly before her bottom even reaches the toilet pan. It’s more than I can bare as I put Yasmin on the bathroom floor, push the door shut so she can’t crawl out and pull my joggers down from the waist as I grab my leaking penis with both hands and panic as I look around trying to work out what to do. The sound of Megan peeing loudly is vibrating in my ears mixed with the internal sound of my own heart racing as the room swirls in front of my eyes as I try to focus and hold on as another spurt pushes out. 

“Don’t piss on the baby Liam!” 

I stumble backwards  trying to get as far away from Yasmin as I can to avoid even accidentally peeing on her as I lean against a door, turn to see where I am, pull the door open and immediately let go of my very full bladder into the shower cubicle. For over a minute my urine surges out at speed splashing around the bottom of the cubicle and draining out through the  plug hole. The relief is so euphoric and incredible that I can’t help but sigh contentedly as my body and brain relax fully and my body feels so free and wonderful. It’s like I’m in my own fantasy world somewhere, a world of unicorns and rainbows where my football team never loses and I’m the absolute centre of the universe. For the duration of the time I am pissing nothing else matters as I momentarily forget where and even who I am. Fuck did I need that! 

“You can stop now you know!” 

I turn around to see Megan sitting on the toilet smiling like the cat who got the cream as she starts laughing again just like she was downstairs. 

“What’s so funny?”

“The way you walked backwards into the shower cubicle babe! I wish I could have videoed it! I mean you did live here for…how many years? And you forgot the shower was there and walked into it? At least you missed the baby though!” 

“Ok! Ok! Well in my defence your honour I was dying to piss and someone was hogging the toilet. So I lost my bearings a little! I was just so single minded and consumed with my pressing need ok? It was a little…well a pretty huge actually…emergency that I faced. Can you pass me some loo roll by the way? I want to catch that mess I made before Yasmin crawls in it.” 

Stepping out the shower towards Megan as she passes me some toilet roll our hands touch and I feel something sexual and exciting between us as our eyes meet and sparkle. I bend down to wipe up the mess I left then look up at Megan from the floor as she stands astride the toilet to wipe herself. I can’t help myself staring at her dripping vagina as her clitoris is obvious and her vaginal lips all red and puffy. I’m very aware the baby is in the room with us but staring at such a beautiful body part has given me such a huge erection and I can’t keep quiet about what’s in front of my eyes. 

“God you have such a stunning vagina Megan. Have I ever told you that? I could sit her and gaze up at it forever. You are one hell of a sexy woman!” 

“I can’t recall anyone saying anything like that to me in Saint Mary’s chapel now you mention it. Though there was this English man once…a bit older than me, right handsome fellow, works for North Down Borough Council. I have a vague recollection of him saying I was beautiful…though I like to think he was meaning in general rather than just my vagina specifically.” 

She finishes wiping as I gaze unashamedly still, frozen to the spot by the incredible view in front of my eyes. 

“I expect he was referring to every last bit of you. Beautiful…yes I think that’s definitely a good word to describe you.” 

Megan smiles down at me as she laughs and then steps over me to wash her hands. She turns to look at me as she lathers her hands with soap. 

“Need a hand up?” 

I turn to my side and look down at my crotch, my huge erection pointing directly at Megan very obviously as I look back up at her.” 

“Part of me is most definitely up already don’t you think?”

With her soapy hands she reaches down to help me stand as I can’t resist standing right beside her at the sink, my hard penis rubbing against her. Smiling teasingly at my best friend and lover I grab the soap dispenser and pump some into my palms before turning on the hot tap. 

“Ha! You might have beaten me to the toilet but I bet you to the sink!” 

“That’s what you think! I was here first! You cheated because I helped you up!” 

She splashes some warm water onto my top like a little kid egging me on. It’s playful, sexy and telling me everything I need to know: She wants this every bit as much as I do! I splash her back right on her breasts then pretend to apologise by grabbing a towel and dabbing at the damp spots I made. 

“I really should check this hasn’t went right through you know.” 

“Definitely. You could have burnt me you know!” 

Her eyes are twinkling so much, her cheeks flushed and her smile is huge as I slowly feel under her top with my fingers supposedly checking her top but instead feeling and exploring her very ample breasts and delightful nipples. 

“You don’t mind if I look a little closer do you? Just to make sure I haven’t missed any damage.” 

“If you must.” 

I bend down so Megan’s taut nipples are right in my eye line as I step even closer to her and circle them with my tongue before sucking each one in turn, loving how her nipples grow and harden in my mouth and feeling my penis shaking up and down in need in my joggers. I’m simply loving the foreplay and teasing between us, but I equally fear my penis isn’t going to hold back much longer as it rubs Megan’s leg like a cat demanding attention. Hearing Megan sigh in contentment spurs me on even more. 

“Everything seems perfectly ok thankfully.” 

“Oh that’s good to know. I suppose I should take the baby and have a look at that casserole the neighbours left then. You hungry? I know I definitely am.”

I wait while Megan steps away from the sink before blocking her leaving with my body, quickly doing a visual check on the baby to make sure she’s ok before using my hands and body to pin Megan playfully against the bathroom wall. 

“Oh I am most definitely hungry Megan…but not just for beef casserole!” 

I lean in and kiss her as she responds exactly as I expected as out tongues go deep into each other’s mouths and our hands caress and explore wildly. I don’t know what exactly has made Megan so horny but whatever it is I hope it happens again…and again…and again. In all my 16 years of living here I have never had such an enjoyable and sexy visit to this bathroom ever! 

Chapter 229

Megan

Thinking of the neighbour bursting, combined with so much laughter and my own desperate bladder has me so wet and warm that seeing how Liam is when I finally burst over the toilet, only just making it in time, makes me so horny and needy. The sexy teasing and spark between us just escalates and by the time Liam sucks my nipples I could cheerfully fuck a cactus I’m that ravenous for sex! Liam’s very obvious bulge in his joggers is just the icing on the cake so I’m thrilled when Liam kisses me so deeply I almost choke on his tongue. If this is what a day time nap does for him then I’m spending the rest of my life singing lullabies to him after lunch! God he better not leave me like this now though…I need fulfilled…I need to finish what’s been started! 

Being held against the bathroom wall by Liam is exciting and exhilarating as I hear my own heart beating so loudly I fear it might pop open. The roughness of his pulling my skirt and knickers down doesn’t worry me at all as I want what he wants every bit as urgently. My fanny feels on fire I’m that ready and I throb faster and faster as Liam slides his fingers quickly inside me as he pulls his joggers and underwear down with one hand before holding my neck and kissing my ear lobe. 

“You ok with this?” 

I can’t speak so I just nod and smile at him as my hips pulsate backwards and forwards against the wall longing to have something to grip inside them. As if he suddenly gets the message Liam pulls his fingers gently out and stands between my legs guiding his shaft to where we both need it to go. Watching over his shoulders to make sure the baby is still ok I allow his dick to freely enter me, my vaginal lips stretching and folding around it like pastry around a sausage, my body basking in the attention and responding exactly like it was created to do. 

Liam is gently but firm as he slides in and out, first tentatively and carefully but then much more urgent and quicker. My body follows his lead as it squelches and warns more with each movement. I feel it building closer and closer as Liam holds my arms up against the bathroom tiles as he thrusts in and out easier and deeper each time. Watching his face is so erotic as his lips tremble and shake, sweat drops build on his forehead and his mouth opens and closes as he gives himself entirely to me, clearly enjoying every moment. I’m the more than willing participant, the happy slave, the delighted girlfriend as I almost lose my breath as things suddenly escalate quickly. My G-spot has been triggered and there’s now no return as my legs shake and my breathing shallows. 

“It’s about to cum sweetheart.” 

He didn’t need to tell me as I can feel his penis changing, shaking, twitching, inside my body faster and harder until I feel it explode inside of me as my own body shakes and reaches its climax just after my lovers. I know Liam has ejaculated not just because I feel it come into my womb but because he relaxes his hold on my arms allowing them to fall down to my sides freely. I feel so happy, so relieved, so fulfilled, as Liam steps towards the toilet and wipes the top of his half erect penis before flushing the loo. Meanwhile I pull up my knickers and skirt and quickly wash my hands again before picking up the baby, who has been practicing pulling herself to standing using the side of the bath and looking into it happily, and open the bathroom door to go downstairs. I hear Liam washing his hands and drying them before following me down as I turn around in the small kitchen and see him right beside me. 

“How about I dish this casserole up and we can microwave it a little to heat it back up?  It might be easier in pudding or soup bowls if your aunt has any anywhere?” 

Sitting down at the dining table I feed my baby sister as we enjoy a delicious meal with a side of crusty bread and butter and then Liam brings in the muffins for pudding. We’re all full and happy and it’s temping to rest for the remainder of the evening watching TV or playing with the baby but then I remember the bags upstairs and so we all head back to the main bedroom where I change the baby while Liam checks through his aunt’s clothes from earlier that I bagged up. He ties all the bags and we carry them downstairs and sit them by the patio doors at the back of the house while Liam returns for the ones from his room too. It’s a lovely spring evening and still daylight as I carry Yasmin out in her car seat and Liam goes back and forth several times to the house for all the bin-bags. With the boot and back seat both full Liam gets in the driving seat and is about to start the engine when we hear a voice. 

“You up for doing it differently tonight then Jim? I reckon it’s time for more don’t you? No holding back now. I want to see you give me your all ok?” 

I look at Liam as we both burst out laughing again. Even knowing the garage next door is set up as a gym doesn’t stop us thinking something else entirely as Liam winks at me and I double over in laughter once again. 

This being in England isn’t anything like I expected it to be. It’s much funnier, happier and freer than my life back in Bangor as I realise that for once I’ve hardly thought about anyone at home for most of the day. I still miss them but the ache isn’t nearly as raw as it was the day I left home just 5 nights ago. As we drive to the Tesco car park to the recycling bins it feel symbolic to be removing so much of Liam’s past life and throwing it into a huge green bin. Whatever the future faces for us this few days in England feels like a turning point in so many ways. 

Chapter 230

Liam 

It feels strange driving again, especially such a small car, but the roads have such a familiar feel to them and we are there and back from Tesco within the hour. Shortly after we get back I’m helping Megan bath the baby when I hear my mobile ring. I leave Megan to finish drying the baby while I have a quick catch up with Gareth. It’s a good thing I do chat with him as when he asks if we’re still returning to Ireland on Thursday night I suddenly remember that I still haven’t checked to see how much it will cost to get the car back, and if I even have enough money, though I suspect I don’t. 

By the time I’m off the phone Megan is sitting in the living room giving Yasmin her milk and I sit beside her gazing at the baby. Looking at her cute little features reminds me of the fact that Lauren Bennet is carrying my child. I really wish it was Megan who was pregnant and not my ex when I put my arm around Megan, feeling a sudden need to tell her how much I love her as I offer my finger for Yasmin to hold and smile at her. 

“I’m actually going to miss being here when we go back you know. I know there’s been a fair amount of difficulties here but the one thing that has been wonderful is being with you and Yasmin and not having work and just getting to spend time with you both. I sort of wish this could last forever in a way.” 

“I know what you mean. I was just thinking how peaceful it is with just us and how I don’t get up in the morning dreading mam shouting at me or Shaun bossing me or having to race around getting the boys to school in the morning. You know I haven’t even really thought about Rory or Anthony all day today, until now. I wonder how their day has been and who has been looking after them, cooking the meals and stuff. I do hope they are ok.” 

“I’m sure they’re fine. Fancy a cup of tea?” 

“Tea sounds lovely thanks. I honestly thought the run in the car might tire this little one out but she seems to be turning into a right night owl tonight. Must have been that great nap she had earlier. How are you feeling now?”

“I’m much better thanks. I’ll be back in a bit with tea.” 

Megan sits the baby on the floor to play and I head to the kitchen returning soon after with two mugs of tea. I leave my tea sitting on the top of the mantelpiece while I crawl on the floor and laugh with Yasmin, hiding her toys under my legs as she crawls all over me trying to find them. 

“She’s loving that Liam. You’ll make a great dad you know.” 

I look up at her and want to cry. That’s such a beautiful thing she’s just said to me and yet at the same time it’s like a knife direct to my heart. I open my mouth to speak but the words just don’t seem to come. Suddenly I see the pain in Megan’s eyes as she looks down at me on the floor. I love her so much but I can’t change the fact that I was with Lauren for so long. I can’t change the fact I got her pregnant and I can’t undo the horrific things Lauren said in this very room just this morning. It’s clear that the shock of the news this morning has finally sunk in for us both and the reality that by the end of the year I will be a father, and not with the woman I love, hurts like hell. Picking up Yasmin and holding her a moment I look up at Megan seeing a stray tear run down her cheek. My mouth is dry and my throat feels like it’s closing in on me but somehow I manage to say two pathetic words, that while I truly mean them they just don’t feel enough. 

“I’m sorry.” 

I want her to slap me or shout at me or…I don’t really know. Instead the silence conveys the heaviness and depth of her hurt and pain. I want to defend myself saying that it happened before I even met her and that I’ve been nothing but faithful since we got together, but while all of that is true the fact remains that I can’t ever really separate from Lauren Bennet now without abandoning my own child, and after my own experience as a child I refuse to let go of my own son or daughter. 

I stand up, holding Yasmin in my arms, as I foolishly reach to the mantelpiece for my mug of tea. My fingers wrap around the handle of the mug just as Yasmin tries to get out my arms and the mug accidentally slips out my hand, flying across the room and sending hot tea everywhere, including on the child’s leg as she instantly screams in pain. Yasmin is yelling at the top of her voice, Megan jumps up screaming hysterically and grabbing her sister and I stand there frozen, angry at myself for what I did and deeply remorseful and ashamed for hurting the child accidentally. 

Megan runs out the room carrying the screaming child as I whimper like a little baby in the room alone. 

“It was an accident. I didn’t mean it!” 

Chapter 231 

Megan 

All day long I’ve been trying my best not to think about it, even trying to convince myself it didn’t actually happen. Keeping busy while Liam and Yasmin napped and then having such a great laugh when Jim and Sandy pop over all help, but yet deep down it’s still there haunting me. Even while we make love in the bathroom I only need to glance over at Yasmin to remember it all over again. The man who just yesterday talked about us getting married has another woman, a woman who clearly despises both me and my sister and spent the last 11 years controlling and abusing my boyfriend, pregnant. I love Liam so much but I want him to be all mine. I want him as far away from Lauren Bennet as physically possible, but now she has more of a hold over him than ever. Now she can offer him something that right now I can’t: his own child. 

Over dinner ever time I look at him my heart stings. He’s my man, my lover, my partner and having made love just before coming downstairs just thinking of him with Lauren feels even worse. I reason with myself as I feed Yasmin and eat myself that it all happened before he met me, before he even came to Ireland, but then my anxiety takes over and I can’t help thinking what else has he done before meeting me? How many other woman did he sleep with? Coming to England has made me realise there’s so much about Liam Jude that I don’t really know. I finally realise why my own family were angry and adamant I shouldn’t come. What if Liam had been a criminal or a sexual predator, or an axe murderer even? I put myself and my baby sister in an extremely vulnerable position without even thinking just because I fancied an English man who I hardly even knew! How will this look to the social services that my family have now called? 

I’m glad when Liam goes to answer his phone while I’m drying Yasmin after her bath. Being so close to him in the very room we made love in just hours before is unsettling me and hearing him talking to Yasmin in the bath makes me want to vomit as I visualise him with that despicable Lauren cooing together over their own child as they bath him or her. I’m so afraid of losing Liam to Lauren and their baby. Why would he stay with me over her when she has everything: money, a huge house, influence, a catwalk figure, and most of all his child. I dry and dress Yasmin and take her downstairs for her final bottle of milk as I feel an overwhelming sense of wanting to protect her. Once I get back to Bangor I really must look for somewhere to live with Yasmin away from Liam. It would be too cruel for her to continue to bond with Liam only for him to dump her for his own child in six months time. As much as it breaks my heart I need to protect her, and myself. Better to do it now before things get any more serious. Better to have us settled somewhere before Liam’s baby is born. 

I had hoped to feed Yasmin her bottle then take her up to bed and then just join her. It’s been a long day and I’m tired and emotional. But Yasmin just isn’t sleepy and after her milk she sits up wide awake wanting to play. I sit her on the floor assuming Liam will be on the phone a while and I can still avoid him. He doesn’t need to know my thoughts. Not tonight anyway. 

But then he sits beside me putting his arm around me. It’s cosy and romantic but I feel like  a fraud. The relief I feel when he goes to make tea is incredible, though I feel terrible keeping my thoughts from him. I know he loves me but I just can’t see how we can continue to act like nothing has changed? Then he gets down on the floor with the baby making her laugh and playing with her and my defence starts to crack. He really will make such a great father. Maybe that was why God brought us together? Maybe he just needed Yasmin as practice before his own child came along? Could God be so cruel to use us like that? Watching my baby sister crawling so comfortably across Liam’s legs my words come out my mouth confirming my own heartbreak. 

“You’ll make a great dad you know.” 

It stings like a stabbing wound right through my heart as my eyes well up out-with my control. 

But then, as if in slow motion, I watch as Liam stands up with the baby, leaning over towards the fireplace for his tea and I watch on in horror as the mug of hot liquid slips suddenly right out his hand firing all over the fire-surround, the carpet, and worst of all on my precious  baby sister! Her ear piercing screaming tells me instantly that she’s hurt as I grab her out of Liam’s hands and race her to the kitchen to run her legs under cold water. 

I know it was an accident but somehow it feels like it might be the very sign I need. I need to be able to prove to social services that I can look after my sister and provide her with a safe and stable home. Having her legs burnt by hot tea hardly proves either of those! 

Listening to my sister clinging to me and screaming as I pull off her clothing and run cold water over her thin little legs making her shiver and cry the tears from minutes ago now flow freely and thickly. I don’t even know the way to hospital should I need to take her! Why the heck did I agree to come to England? Why did I ever leave home?

Chapter 232

Liam 

Coming to my senses I rush into the kitchen to grab a cloth and tea towel to clean the mess. I know the child is far more important than any carpet stains but I also know Megan has her sister and there’s nothing else I can do. The carpet appears to be fine, whip is more than can be said for Megan and Yasmin as I return to the kitchen with the empty mug and clothes and stare silently and helplessly at the screaming child and my crying girlfriend. 

“It was an accident.” 

I’m not sure she believes me and it’s impossible to truly read her expression for all her tears as I swallow hard and shake with distress. 

“Is she ok?” 

“I’m not sure. Is there a first aid kit here anywhere?” 

I start searching for any signs of a first aid kit trying to think if I even know where my aunt would keep one or if she even had one. I pull every kitchen cupboard open and finally find a green first aid box under the sink. Opening it up on the counter behind Megan I stare at the contents not even sure what I’m looking for. 

“Right that’s been approximately 10 mins I think. Can you pass me a towel please.” 

Yasmin is still crying loudly, hopefully due to shock and the cold water more than the burns, as Megan lies her on the kitchen floor and dries her legs carefully with the towel. I pick up the first aid box and kneel beside her stroking the baby’s hair in a vain attempt to comfort her. 

“I’m looking for a bandage, if there’s any.” 

“This ok?” 

“Yes. That looks perfect. Nothing that will stick to the skin or anything. Just something to keep it dry and infection free so it can heal. Thankfully it doesn’t look serious.” 

Megan cuts the thin plastic wrapping with her teeth and then begins gently wrapping her sister’s leg with the bandage.

“Right, if you could cut it about here and then see if there’s any tape. It should be white. It’s usually a small roll called micropore tape. That’s it. I’ll hold the bandage if you could stick it down. Perfect. Now I’ll do the other leg.” 

Yasmin is still crying, though not as intensely thankfully, as Megan picks her up to cuddle her and comfort her. 

“Can you nip upstairs and get her a clean babygrow please Liam? There should be one in my backpack. And the blanket off the buggy too please.” 

I do exactly as instructed and then help Megan very carefully dress the baby again as Yasmin rubs her eyes and her chest heaves from all the crying. Megan stands up with her walking up and down the dining room trying to settle her. I put the first aid kit away and then stand helplessly watching. I can’t believe I hurt the baby. What sort of person does that to an innocent child? I just feel so utterly hopeless and helpless as I sit at the dining table facing Megan, trying to hold it together but failing miserably. 

With the baby on her shoulder wrapped in the blanket Megan paces up and down the dining room trying to settle her sister. The little sobs from Yasmin are breaking my heart as the guilt of what happened overwhelms me. 

“Should we take her to hospital?” 

“We’d be there for hours Liam. It’s superficial so nothing more they can do. I just wish I could take the pain away from her. It must sting so bad.” 

“Can babies not take pain killers?” 

“Oh God! I never even thought of that. Can you hold her a minute. I think there might be some infant paracetamol in the changing bag. I picked it up one day when she was teething really bad. There might be some left.” 

Holding the baby for the first time since I accidentally hurt her is more comforting than I expected as I hug the child close and whisper my apologies to her. She looks so tired, her eyes all red and puffy and her hair all wet with sweat. I can’t help wondering if she might be thirsty after all her crying as I find a bottle in the kitchen and ask her if she wants some milk. Of course I know she can’t talk but her eyes and actions communicate so much and when she reaches for the bottle I realise what she wants. Putting some milk in like I’ve watched Megan do so many times I realise that she’s finally stopped crying and she’s watching me as I count the numbers down on the microwave to keep her distracted. I check the milk isn’t too hot then let her hold it as she instantly puts it to her mouth and sucks. Carrying her through the dining room towards the living room I see Megan come down with something in her hands. 

“I found some. It’s individual sachets and they are in date too. I’ll get a spoon and be right with you.” 

I nod and carry on walking through to the lounge where I sit on the very sofa Megan was on just half an hour earlier nursing the baby in my arms. Megan comes through with a plastic spoon and asks me to sit Yasmin up. She objects at first but Megan is adept at enticing her and soon she has successfully managed to get some pain relief into her. I pray silently that this will make her more comfortable and that she’ll be ok. 

“I’ll just put this in the bin and wash the spoon. You ok with her still?” 

I nod and allow the baby to rest once again in my arms. She sucks the bottle and bit longer before her heavy eyes begin closing. I stroke her beautiful little face just like I remember doing one day at the back of Saint Mary’s chapel in Bangor as I find myself gently singing the song that always comes to my mind every time I’m with Yasmin. This time it’s me crying sorrowfully and in huge relief that she’s ok as I sing to the child, who in every single way now feels like my own daughter. 

“You are my sunshine. My only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You’ll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine away.” 

I don’t even see or hear Megan come back in but suddenly she’s kneeling in front of me looking at her sister in my arms crying every bit as much as I am. 

“It really was an accident Megan. I love Yasmin so much. I’d never hurt her. Or you.” 

Through tears she looks at me right in the eye, then down at Yasmin then right back to me. 

“But she’s not yours. You might feel differently when your own child is born.” 

I wipe my face with my sleeve as my nose runs so much from all my crying and I don’t want to disturb the baby. It’s not a good look and this isn’t my finest moment by a long long way but what I have to say is important and I don’t want it interrupted by snot. 

“As far as I am concerned she is my own child. I am serious when I say this Megan, but if your mum and dad don’t feel that can look after her and social services agree you can, then once we get married, which I want to do very soon, I would love to adopt Yasmin, provided you would want me to.” 

“What about Lauren Bennet though?” 

“I won’t ever be getting back with Lauren. Ever. I want to be involved with my child, one hundred percent, that is never in doubt, but she doesn’t control me now. I won’t ever allow that anymore. Being with you has taught me what real love is. I’ll always be there for the child she’s carrying because I have to face up to my responsibilities and whatever she says or does that little baby inside her isn’t to blame. But you and me, together, we can provide that baby with the stability and security and family life that I already know it won’t get from the Bennet’s. And this little wonderful girl here..well I can’t think of a better step sister for any child. Megan, please forgive me. I never meant to hurt you and I definitely never meant to hurt Yasmin tonight either.” 

Megan rests her head on my knees before she takes my spare hand in both of  hers as she uses my hand to help herself stand and then sits beside me. Quietly and thoughtfully she continues holding my hand in hers as she looks at me. I’m waiting for her answer but there’s a silence between us that makes me worry. 

I’ve said all I can. I just need to hear her reply now….