Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Do you struggle to not include wettings in your own creative works?

So, I write books and such and I seriously struggle with making my characters wet themselves; mostly in fear (which is excusable as that's natural). But it's also something of a subplot for other characters.

I don't know, this is really about half of a thought, but I'm curious if any other creators struggle with this sort of thing. Including wettings in non-omo media.

Maybe I should make horror movies?

I'm not into wetting but I do put scenes of desperation in a lot of my non-fetish related works as well in a non-fetish context. Like I will have a scene like in a story I was writing last night that takes place during a disaster, a storm, where there are huge lines to the bathroom because people are evacuating from the storm. Again no fetish context but for a person who likes the fetish they would probably enjoy that scene, and I probably wouldn't put a scene like that in there if I didn't have a fetish. So yes even in my non-fetish related words I do actually put plenty of scenes where a character, normally a female character, has difficulty finding a bathroom when she needs one due to circumstance.

And unlike a lot of authors I do emphasize the fact that if my characters are going for a long time doing other things at some point they will need to go to the bathroom, again particularly female characters, who often don't pee and poop as often as male characters in a lot of fiction. I like to acknowledge that people need to go to the bathroom at some point no matter what they are doing, even if they are battling aliens on a faraway world, at some point they are going to need a bathroom break!

I struggle with this so much. Not even in a kink way but in a practical way. What’s a better reason to take an ill-advised detour than someone needs to pee? Or with little kids, fiction authors seem to forget or not acknowledge that kids have to go potty at the least convenient times. That also means they may not make it in time. Want the emotional factor to increase? Somebody dying for a piss increases stress, sympathy, sometimes irritation or embarrassment. Reason for forgetting something, being curt or abrupt in a conversation, or not paying attention to their surroundings? They were trying to get to a toilet before they water the floor. An added reason or last straw to a bad day? They got stuck in traffic and couldn’t hold it anymore. Our mighty hero has been locked/tied up for days? How have they been relieving themselves? Fear wettings are a thing. Elderly incontinence is a thing. It’s a normal part of life that could add dimension to a story, but can be seen as creepy or unnecessary.
I liked in the Goonies when halfway through they took a pee break. They’d been trekking through tunnels and obstacles and needed a break. All of them.

Personally at this point whenever I am reading a book or watching a movie I'm just always happy when they acknowledge the fact that people need the bathroom at some point. I mean some people would say that it's not necessary to the plot but sometimes these situations would be a factor in a real-world situation. Like I said earlier even if you are writing a story about people fighting aliens or some science fictional situation like in the type of stuff that I tend to write under my own name, if you have people doing all these things for hours at some point they are going to need a bathroom. I think a lot of people simply choose not to acknowledge these parts, but it's a practical need and it's a factor that would realistically happen in these type of situations.

I think that a lot of authors just don't want to stop the action of their story to the knowledge that their characters need to go to the bathroom or pause to break for a bathroom, but to me that adds realism to the story, even in stories that aren't very realistic like horror and science fiction stories. By including these little aspects of real life people will more easily buy into the fantastical premise you have because it shows your characters are still dealing with practical real-world issues including going to the bathroom.

I also think that it sort of goes along with the societal taboo in general of not acknowledging that people go to the bathroom. A lot of people would probably say why even bother having a character go to the bathroom in a book or a movie, we know that they have to do it at some point, but do you have to remind us of that fact or make it part of the story? I'm thinking yes, in some cases you do because again it's a part of life and to leave that out of literature or film is just denying a fundamental aspect of our humanity. And I made that sound really sophisticated and philosophical but really I just like seeing people have to go to the bathroom!

Yeah, for me it's also realism. My character in question has a panic disorder and tends to wet her pants when she has an episode; also wets her bed when she has a bad night terror.

Or in my battle scenes; I'll mention if a soldier (male or female) goes in their pants for dramatic effect. Which is also a plot point for one character in particular.

I write "human-like" superhero fiction; and I've been flirting with the idea of the former character having to wear protection; or with having a character have a kink for this sort of thing. Not even for my own nastiness; but because people have kinks.

On uk tv recently an episode of ‘Emerdale’ had a female character say she was going to the loo as she was bursting, I thought its unusual to see that in a script and questioned what it added to the story, background was she had a drinking issue and had just returned from the pub and had cans of beer with her, maybe it was to impact she had been drinking again?

@NSNS

"I'm a little worried my critique group is going to start noticing a pattern!"

That's a problem that any writer faces and not just in regards to fetishes, literally everything that you are putting out there is leaving yourself raw and exposed to what your interests and beliefs and what else you may have is out there. And if you consistently include something in a pattern like including that in every story people are going to notice. Of course you can always publish stuff under pseudonyms but even if you include stuff on your regular name that isn't fetish context but still repeatedly brings up the same thing people probably are going to notice.

A lot of people speculate that Stephen King might have a fetish for pee or something like that since he includes desperation and wetting scenes in his books, but I think that he is just being a realist, because in horrifying situations people often experience bladder anxiety or end up losing control of their bladders. So again people might make assumptions but they aren't always the correct ones. But I do sometimes wonder if people are going to say you often focus a lot on women needing to go to the bathroom in your stories and I would simply just say that I am just being realistic, because women have to go to the bathroom, that's a biological fact!

I'm currently working on a youth novel and I've definitely found it hard to not go overboard on bathroom stuff. The temptation is really there to make one of my two main protagonists pee themselves, but then again... it would seem a bit excessive if it didn't have some kind of plot relevance and was just added for fun, that would make me look rather sus, lol. Plus the fact that both main protagonists are teenage boys, welp... x)

However, I do have the occasional toilet break mentioned because it always bothered me when I was reading fiction and there was somehow no need for a pee break ever. Maybe that's a fair compromise? Like, mentioning it in one sentence but not going into any detail whatsoever?

When I was younger I started writing a novel but I hadn't written for years. Recently this site has renewed my interest in writing which is great but my writing here is entirely a succession of guys wetting their pants in different contexts! In several novels I read characters nearly wet themselves or joke about this on occasion, so I imagine scenarios where what in most books would be a near wetting and make it actually happen. In non omo writing I wouldn't do that, but realism about people needing to pee is something I see in novels. One I read recently a guy storms out after an argument with his bodyguard and tries to get away from him in a car. His bodyguard catches up because he has to pull over at a gas station because he needs to pee. That kind of realism seems to help the writing.

I wouldn't say I struggle not to include wettings - I'd say I'm perfectly happy with including them in my work. I've never really found it difficult to draw the line between a few bladder-related mentions and turning whatever I'm writing into complete erotica, and I don't think there's anything that I've written that I look back at and think "maybe that was a bit too much". Most of the time it's for that little extra bit of realism as others have mentioned - but I often find myself giving some extra justification for each instance. Some examples:

1. While on duty, a woman is standing out in the rain while her male colleague deals with another person by himself, and her slight urge to pee is mentioned - which is not just literal discomfort, but also further implies her discontent with her professional position.

2. Sexual abuse - a woman is coerced into sex after an evening of drinking. The chapter comes to an abrupt end just before, and the next one opens to her waking up in her bed which is soaked with urine, and an unpleasant clean up follows - with the intention of letting the reader imagine the night's events from the aftermath, instead of describing it.

3. The urge to pee is used to progress the location on a "date" of sorts - which starts in an area filled with water features, leading to a playful "race" to the bathrooms inside a restricted building. Aside from making sense, I think this is one of the better moments to include that aspect of realism and humanity, when two main characters are developing a romance and intimacy with each other, and are more "open" than they usually would be.

4. A flashback scene in which the main character as a child has her first encounter with the organisation the story is focused around - the event involves firearms and violence, and partway through she wets herself in fear - just to drive home the point that it was not a memory she could easily forget.

5. This one is fairly difficult to explain simply, but in essence the main character's judgement leads to her holding another person hostage at gunpoint. After several hours, her urge to pee grows and eventually forces her to move and make subsequent decisions which lead up to the climax of the story. Again, I think another really good point to bring in an aspect of humanity is when a character finds themselves completely out of their comfort zone, and when they start to question their own behaviour and decision-making, and whether they are truly doing the "right" thing.

Not really.  I know my audience, and I'm pretty good at avoiding including content that would be inappropriate for them unless the context warrants  it (i.e. a character wetting themselves out of fear or extreme stress).  Of course, I'm quite happy to include it if it's requested, at least if it's female wetting, due to my own personal tastes; male wetting...it depends on the context and even then I may need some convincing.

Edited by D0nt45k (see edit history)
On 7/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, DesperateJill said:

@NSNS

That's a problem that any writer faces and not just in regards to fetishes, literally everything that you are putting out there is leaving yourself raw and exposed to what your interests and beliefs and what else you may have is out there. And if you consistently include something in a pattern like including that in every story people are going to notice. Of course you can always publish stuff under pseudonyms but even if you include stuff on your regular name that isn't fetish context but still repeatedly brings up the same thing people probably are going to notice.

A lot of people speculate that Stephen King might have a fetish for pee or something like that since he includes desperation and wetting scenes in his books, but I think that he is just being a realist, because in horrifying situations people often experience bladder anxiety or end up losing control of their bladders. So again people might make assumptions but they aren't always the correct ones. But I do sometimes wonder if people are going to say you often focus a lot on women needing to go to the bathroom in your stories and I would simply just say that I am just being realistic, because women have to go to the bathroom, that's a biological fact!

I actually think about this a lot because I read many books and I've noticed the amount of them that these days at least 1 in 5 have some kind of wetting scene - and this is when I'm not purposefully looking for it. My theory is that there's this kind of drive for more gritty realism across the board in literature and one way of showing that it by focusing on bodily functions (which at one point would have been incredibly rare in fiction), and often the best way to do that in a plot-relevant way is to have a fear wetting or something similar. It's when it happens multiple times in the same book or series that I begin to think an author has a fetish. 

As for my own work,  I guess I'm mostly worried that people are going to notice that I exclusively have young women wetting themselves, never old people, children or men. Someone else in my critique group also puts wetting content in a lot of their books and I've always wondered if they've got a fetish too lol. The current book is the furthest I've gone with it, having a whole subplot about the main character being a bedwetter because of trauma - although I think I'm going to cut out several of the scenes before I show it to people, because it probably is a bit too much at the moment lol.

I also really want to write a book where a character needs to go back into diapers (so far all my books have had historical settings which makes that difficult), but I'm worried that really would be the tipping point for people realising what my fetish is!

I was really bad with this when I first started writing, because I would do freeze-fetish stuff, but always slip in a mention of a character needing to pee. It worked a few times, though (one story had kidnapped characters waking up and needing to pee, for example). I also used fear-wetting in another story involving characters being transformed into animals. I also had a couple of instances in one of my more recent stories, one character was transformed into a pig-woman and got so huge from eating cursed food that she pissed and shit herself. And another character had to pee after being turned into a man.

My take on it is that peeing is a normal thing people do, so I have no real qualms about including it in other works, especially if it makes sense or sets up a scene.

@NSNS

"I actually think about this a lot because I read many books and I've noticed the amount of them that these days at least 1 in 5 have some kind of wetting scene - and this is when I'm not purposefully looking for it. My theory is that there's this kind of drive for more gritty realism across the board in literature and one way of showing that it by focusing on bodily functions (which at one point would have been incredibly rare in fiction), and often the best way to do that in a plot-relevant way is to have a fear wetting or something similar. It's when it happens multiple times in the same book or series that I begin to think an author has a fetish."

I read a real lot and I certainly don't notice that many bodily functions in that many books and I read a lot of books where you would expect bodily functions. But I certainly don't think that it's one in five, you must be reading some interesting books then!
I do think that nowadays though there is a lot more tolerance for books involving bodily functions and things that just a few decades ago would have been completely taboo or gotten a book banned.
I don't know if people would realize I have a fetish from my mainstream writing but I think that they would see that I definitely have a very scatological sense of humor. In fact under my own name I published an entire book full of toilet humor, like the length of a Stephen King book, and I'm almost up to a second volume. Urine and feces is definitely hilarious even in a non-fetish context.
But yeah the fact that I do regularly include scenes even in my serious stuff that is not toilet humor shows that at the very least that I am rather potty brained and everything like that.

"As for my own work,  I guess I'm mostly worried that people are going to notice that I exclusively have young women wetting themselves, never old people, children or men. Someone else in my critique group also puts wetting content in a lot of their books and I've always wondered if they've got a fetish too lol. The current book is the furthest I've gone with it, having a whole subplot about the main character being a bedwetter because of trauma - although I think I'm going to cut out several of the scenes before I show it to people, because it probably is a bit too much at the moment lol."

In my stories I do mostly focus on women needing to go to the bathroom but again I consider it justified because they are just lots more situations where women are unable to relieve themselves as easily or where it could be a potential problem to the story. I do suspect that people reading my works will probably rather accurately devise that I have probably been in a lot of situations where I haven't been able to go to the bathroom or where I have been desperate for a bathroom or where a bathroom was a main fixturing fixation in my life. Again like I said you would necessarily think that I had a fetish, but on the other hand I don't think that anybody reading my stuff would be surprised to find out that I do since I mention it so much in a non-fetish context.
But again a lot of the cases it's in a situation where you can see it happening. I'm not really into wetting scenes from a fetish perspective but I did have one in at least one of my stories where a character survives an act of nuclear terrorism and ends up wetting herself which I think in the circumstances is appropriate.
Also true to life and experience though in a lot of my stories I end up having male characters just relieving themselves while female characters often have to find other means are have to continue holding it or where they comment on the dirtiness of the toilet or the inconvenience of the situation because of being female. So even in a lot of my non-fetish stuff I do sort of slip in my fixations with bathroom related matters, particularly women's bathroom related matters, so people will probably suspect she's had a lot of weird experiences with the bathroom!

"I also really want to write a book where a character needs to go back into diapers (so far all my books have had historical settings which makes that difficult), but I'm worried that really would be the tipping point for people realising what my fetish is!"

I'm not into diapers but historically speaking I am sure that they have been around for a while haven't they? Most of my stories have a historical setting as well, although usually that setting is the future since I write primarily Science Fiction but some of the horror stories are set in the past and I do write historical fiction as well, which brings up interesting situation such as times before public bathrooms were the norm!

@desperation_fan

"I was really bad with this when I first started writing, because I would do freeze-fetish stuff, but always slip in a mention of a character needing to pee. It worked a few times, though (one story had kidnapped characters waking up and needing to pee, for example)."

I did at least one story in my blog at some point that involved a hostage situation and I was thinking of writing an entire novel, which I would publish under my pseudonym because it would be explicitly fetish oriented, where a woman wants to get revenge on her boss for causing her to wet herself so she holds her at gunpoint and threatens to shoot her if she doesn't keep holding it, which might be kind of brutal and taking it away from fetish territory and to just pure sadism, but I feel that it would mostly appeal to fetish people rather than more mainstream people.

"I also used fear-wetting in another story involving characters being transformed into animals. I also had a couple of instances in one of my more recent stories, one character was transformed into a pig-woman and got so huge from eating cursed food that she pissed and shit herself."

That kind of makes me think of that scene from the movie Spirited Away where her parents turn into pigs, just a lot more scatological! I don't think that Miyazaki put many bathroom scenes in his movies that I can remember but I did remember on one of the documentaries for one of them that they mentioned that he always made sure that they provided sumptuous amounts of female bathrooms that were clean and well stocked and everything for the female members working on the movie, so it sounds like he is egalitarian when it comes to bathrooms! I remember my friend actually pointed that documentary scene out on the special features because he thought of me when it came up!

"And another character had to pee after being turned into a man."

I do write a lot of stories involving gender change and transgender themes and one of the things that I always emphasizes the difference about needing to use the bathroom, although in most cases it's a man becoming a woman who realizes that it's more difficult having to go to the bathroom as a woman. In fact I was planning an entire body swap fetish novel about a man and a woman who switch places where the woman learns to enjoy the freedom of peeing wherever she wants while the guy as the woman learns how difficult it is to be a desperate woman. In fact I have maybe more than one novel with that as a premise which really shows how obsessive I am with that particular aspect!

"My take on it is that peeing is a normal thing people do, so I have no real qualms about including it in other works, especially if it makes sense or sets up a scene."

I think that's a pretty good rule really is something I apply to my own stories. Yes there are lots of scenes where characters need a bathroom or where they have to wait for a bathroom but stuff like that happens, especially in a lot of situations that I set up. Like I mentioned the other day that I was writing a novel about a disaster where people are evacuating a there are huge lines for the bathroom. A person with a fetish would probably enjoy that scene, but that scene in and of itself doesn't have any implications along those lines if you don't have a fetish because that is just something that would naturally happen, so I feel that putting that in my story doesn't really signal fetish to people, it's just something that fits into the story, it's realistic.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, DesperateJill said:

@NSNS

See this is part of why I don't plan on incorporating this interest into anything I publish.

I don't personally find any difficulty in leaving it out tbh, I'm not sure why others struggle with this.

@Wrakkar

"See this is part of why I don't plan on incorporating this interest into anything I publish.

I don't personally find any difficulty in leaving it out tbh, I'm not sure why others struggle with this."

I guess it varies from individual to individual but I think that all writers put a lot of themselves into their writing and to leave out a fundamental thing that interests them like that is kind of hard. I mean a person without a fetish probably wouldn't think anything of it, but I think that a person who does have a fetish like this probably looks at a lot of situations and thinks in a situation where most others probably wouldn't think, don't these characters have to use the bathroom at some point? To me I can't help but thinking about it and it feels weird to leave it out because going to the bathroom is such a intrinsic part of life that. I feel that literature that doesn't include that aspect of life is somehow less honest, less real, and that last part might sound somewhat ironic seeing as I mostly write sci-fi fantasy and horror, but even in those situations theat are other rules of reality still apply where people still need the bathroom! There will be bathrooms in space...

9 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I read a real lot and I certainly don't notice that many bodily functions in that many books and I read a lot of books where you would expect bodily functions. But I certainly don't think that it's one in five, you must be reading some interesting books then!

Tbh I think I've just been lucky with the most recent books I've read. I tend to read either contemporary literary fiction or fantasy and both those genres seem to have more of this kind of content than standard. I listed a few of them here (need to update this at some point): https://www.omorashi.org/topic/67826-more-omorashi-book-scenes/

8 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I guess it varies from individual to individual but I think that all writers put a lot of themselves into their writing and to leave out a fundamental thing that interests them like that is kind of hard. I mean a person without a fetish probably wouldn't think anything of it, but I think that a person who does have a fetish like this probably looks at a lot of situations and thinks in a situation where most others probably wouldn't think, don't these characters have to use the bathroom at some point? To me I can't help but thinking about it and it feels weird to leave it out because going to the bathroom is such a intrinsic part of life that. I feel that literature that doesn't include that aspect of life is somehow less honest, less real, and that last part might sound somewhat ironic seeing as I mostly write sci-fi fantasy and horror, but even in those situations theat are other rules of reality still apply where people still need the bathroom! There will be bathrooms in space...

Agree with all of this. I think also it's less that I go out of my way to put wetting scenes in books and more than I tend towards writing books with scenes where it wouldn't make sense for a character NOT to wet themselves.