Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

The "weird side" of omo.org

Sometimes when I get bored I search for locked threads and users with negative reputations and read their posts, like how some people search YouTube channels with zero subscribers as the "weird side" of YT

It's a bit like going down a rabbit hole,  reading some of the dumb / offensive / perverted stuff that some users post now and again.

The mods do a fantastic job cleaning up the site so it's thankfully really unlikely you'll run into something genuinely sinister. Mostly it's just a mild curiosity, the sorta thing where you think "why tf would anyone post that?"

Am I the only one that does this?

Btw, please don't bring up specific stuff or controversial users. That's not really a good practice or the topic of this thread

On 7/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Kez said:

I would definitely do this myself tbh - and any time I see the "banned" avatar (especially someone with a high post count/seemingly quite active) I immediately start digging through their posts to find out what they did 😛 And sometimes it's not immediately obvious - I have definitely petitioned at least once for an explanation to accompany all banned members, which has been denied. Would such a thing be needless extra work for the staff? - Yes. Would it do any good for the community? - No. But would it satisfy my morbid curiosity? - Absolutely yes 😛 

I suspect that eventually they'll just resort to copouts like "Don't Ask".

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wolferine said:

There's actually several users who I am quite curious as to why they got banned, but will probably never know. lol

Yeah, the stuff that got them banned will probably have been deleted anyway, or it might have happened on Discord etc. I have seen forums (related to this interest and otherwise) that explain/comment on bans, and it was always interesting to read even if the details were vague!

• 6 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, Kez said:

I would definitely do this myself tbh - and any time I see the "banned" avatar (especially someone with a high post count/seemingly quite active) I immediately start digging through their posts to find out what they did 😛 And sometimes it's not immediately obvious - I have definitely petitioned at least once for an explanation to accompany all banned members, which has been denied. Would such a thing be needless extra work for the staff? - Yes. Would it do any good for the community? - No. But would it satisfy my morbid curiosity? - Absolutely yes 😛 

I'm going to disagree with you, I say we should know exactly what someone did to get the ban, that way people can either learn from it and know not to do that, or the mods can just use it as an "Easter egg" hunt and tell us to spot the infraction, first person to get it right gets a prize 😂

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, GreenChile said:

On the flip side, does anyone ever go down the other rabbit hole and look into someone who posted every day or very frequently at once point then just disappeared? Where are they now? Hope they're alright, but why did they suddenly leave? 

I’ve looked up the occasional one, and sometimes they still log in occasionally but rarely or never post. Some just lose interest and move on, some may have a life change such as a new partner and largely leave this behind as a result, others may have had an argument with the mods/someone else, without actually getting banned. Happens in every forum/social media channel really.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 2:06 AM, nappypants said:

I’ve looked up the occasional one, and sometimes they still log in occasionally but rarely or never post. Some just lose interest and move on, some may have a life change such as a new partner and largely leave this behind as a result, others may have had an argument with the mods/someone else, without actually getting banned. Happens in every forum/social media channel really.

I’m willing to bet for a good majority of those that don’t end up banned that it has to do with their real life situation. 
For example, I’ll have periods where I’m very active and posting constantly and then months or even years where I don’t touch the site at all. 

On 4/23/2022 at 4:06 AM, nappypants said:

Sometimes it sucks to lose those people, especially they very entertaining ones, but life changes and they gotta go where life takes them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that on the internet (in general) people tend to make the strangest and least coherent postings between 2 AM and 5 AM in the time zone that they are located in.

(To my knowledge) no one is immune to this. I have noticed that on every web site (including social networking site) that I have posted to that I tend to make postings and like or upvote postings that I might not otherwise during more normal hours.

Between 2 AM and 5 AM local time is what is called the circadian low. Making questionable decisions (of any kind) during these hours is not limited to online activity. For example, I heard about this the other day in a YouTube video about an Air Canada flight that almost landed on a taxiway. It was around midnight (give or take) in California where this happened, but it was (I think) around three AM at the airport where the pilots took off from. 

In short, the moral of the story (as it were) is that during these hours people in general need to be extra vigilant about their decisions both online and offline.

4 hours ago, RDFan2020 said:

I have noticed that on the internet (in general) people tend to make the strangest and least coherent postings between 2 AM and 5 AM in the time zone that they are located in.

(To my knowledge) no one is immune to this. I have noticed that on every web site (including social networking site) that I have posted to that I tend to make postings and like or upvote postings that I might not otherwise during more normal hours.

Between 2 AM and 5 AM local time is what is called the circadian low. Making questionable decisions (of any kind) during these hours is not limited to online activity. For example, I heard about this the other day in a YouTube video about an Air Canada flight that almost landed on a taxiway. It was around midnight (give or take) in California where this happened, but it was (I think) around three AM at the airport where the pilots took off from. 

In short, the moral of the story (as it were) is that during these hours people in general need to be extra vigilant about their decisions both online and offline.

A lot of people who are up at that time of night are going to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or if not, then just suffering from severe sleep deprivation for one reason or another…

4 hours ago, nappypants said:

A lot of people who are up at that time of night are going to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or if not, then just suffering from severe sleep deprivation for one reason or another…

For the most part, yes. This also applies to people with insomnia (for example due to illness or stress) and people who are not yet used to working at night.

• 4 weeks later...