Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bringung back the debate forum

I remember a few years back we had a debate forum in the off topic Section. I really enjoyed it and think it would be a great idea to bring it back. Omo.org is a very open minded community and lacks many of the trolls and intentional shit starters of many other sites, resulting in very intriguing debate topics and arguments. People were really civil and open minded in the way they posted. It was also a great place to bring up more... Lewd topics that interest members here but may not be that interesting to people on non omorashi or link sites.

3 minutes ago, PrincessPeeach said:

I think a place for more lewd topics would be cool, but I disagree on the debate forum idea. I think there is enough drama on this world as it is without stirring up more, which inevitably happens in a debate forum. It feels to me like many threads already become informal debates, and then inevitably end up needing to be shut down by admin because people resort to personal attacks instead of discussing/acknowledging other viewpoints on a topic. I think a debate forum would just create more work for admin, and waaaaay more drama that would potentially undermine the inclusivity and tolerance that the admin work so hard to foster. JMO

I see your point. I remember back in 2016 there was one forum about Trump that got pretty heated and devolved into personal attacks and name calling. In my experiences though most debates were quite civil and led to people sharing many different perspectives on an argument. I suppose you may be right though. I haven't been on here much lately so I haven't read much of the forum's but I do see how sometimes discussions can get heated.

I think I agree that this seems at least misguided. I know there were a few times I saw someone with drastically differing political views posting in here and I don't need to accentuate these differences. This would only unnecessarily drive a wedge between us. I think it better that we rejoice in our common interests. There are many other places one can go to try and be divisive. My $0.02 anyway. 

7 hours ago, ilikeadultvids said:

I think I agree that this seems at least misguided. I know there were a few times I saw someone with drastically differing political views posting in here and I don't need to accentuate these differences. This would only unnecessarily drive a wedge between us. I think it better that we rejoice in our common interests. There are many other places one can go to try and be divisive. My $0.02 anyway. 

Fair enough.  Of course, as I said, I'd actually be all for adding a debate sub-forum (or rather, reintroducing one), with the understanding that political, religious, and certain socially controversial topics would be prohibited (just to avoid the obvious flame bait), but that still leaves plenty of other stuff to have debates about.

14 hours ago, nappypants said:

Most “debate” topics are political to some degree anyway, and particularly in the current climate tend to lead to angry and hateful exchanges and personal abuse.

The off-topic forum presumably allows discussion of most appropriate topics e.g. sport, music, TV and film anyway.

I suppose that's a fair point.