Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Does the Sound of Other People Peeing or Running Water Make You Feel like You Have To Go More?

@DespLoveDennis

"Women on the other hand seem to notice a lot more things in their surroundings. So there is just a much larger group of women that will be exposed to the impulse of running water."

I think that you are on to something with this as it reminds me about something I read where men and women tend to have different ways of finding their way around. Men would be more likely to use a map where as women tend to remember where they are based on landmarks, and I can definitely say this is true in my case. I look at a map and it's like hieroglyphics to me, but if I needed to find my way home I would look for familiar sights and familiar streets and stuff like that and would use that to find my way home, maybe, I have a poor sense of direction in general which I think ii why my agoraphobia makes me anxious leaving home by myself. So I do think that women tend to be more perceptive of their environment in general, I mean again it's an individual thing that varies a lot, but I do think to make a generalization that women do tend to be more aware of their environment and surroundings.

And I think that I am probably more aware than most people since I feel that I am on the autism spectrum, as we have discussed in private. I tend to notice things that most people would just be able to drown out, like my dad is always commenting about how I can't stop scratching or doing all these other movements because I can't seem to drown out external stimuli. So I normal person might not be really bothered by the sound of a stream trickling in the background and could be able to ignore it, but to me it will just be constantly in the background and I would be unable to ignore it, much like I find it harder to ignore a full bladder than a person who might not be as sensitive to stimulation as a lot of others.

When I was a child I used to hate going to amusement parks because I couldn't take the sensory overload of all the lights and noise and sound and I couldn't take lights and noise and sound in general. I used to be terrified of the sound of lawnmowers and could never get near the things, still avoid them like the plague.

And then there was a lot of instances where I noticed things in somebody's room that most people didn't notice. So again I don't know if it's because I'm not neuro-typical or if it's just a female thing or a bit of both, but I do find it harder to ignore sights and sounds in the environment around me in a way that I think most other people can.

Running water, etc, doesn't do anything for me, but sometimes I like to use it when doing omo with my spouse. Like she'll be doing a hold and I'll tease her, I'll put a waterfall documentary etc or put waterfall sounds on the TV to add some fun to a holding session. We wouldn't play it loud, but as something to be there in the background.

I turn it off when she's ready to go because I really enjoy the sound of her going. If we're both holding at once we'll decide in advance who will go first and who goes last, so watching someone else going will always make the other want to go. She was barely able to hold on last time because I made her aim my privates and I went for several minutes, I'm a guy who is a pretty slow and long pee-er so she was panting with desperation watching and hearing me go. 

After I finished she told me "I'm going right now", so I quickly got under her and got a waterfall of my own to enjoy. It was amazing because she is a woman who can pee very fast all at once, like a flood, I'm saying like 100mL/second for barely 10 seconds, whereas I'll be going at 5mL/second for 5 minutes haha. I always keep thinking that she's on the tip of bursting it all out and it was amazing watching her on the precipice of it all coming out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing or hearing someone pee doesn't cause me much trouble but running water often causes me to wet.  Turning on the washing machine, filling a tub or doing dishes will either make me leak or empty a full bladder.  I use to work in an office that had a water feature in the atrium and just about every time I went past it I would pee.  Standing in line to use the water cooler was always interesting.  

Seeing other people pee does not make me need to pee more urgently. Running water on the other hand has definitely made me need to pee. A couple times even when I didn't really need to pee.

I needed to pee yesterday and was waiting to meet a friend outside the NYC Museum of Modern Art.  They have quite the automated water fountain and that's where I was waiting.  

No, I can't say that it made it any worse.  It wasn't particularly bad.  I am aware of wanting to pee for hours and hours before it becomes a severe problem.  (Could be an age thing, although I think I've always registered the signal early and will head to the bathroom if there's one to head to).

Out in the “real world” - in public, in a car, in a public restroom, etc. - the answer would be no for me.  I don’t know why, it’s just never really had an effect.  But if I am doing a hold and deliberately listen to recordings of water, then it works at intensifying the need to go.  I think it’s good this way, because that means water sounds don’t really bother me unless I’m deliberately trying to make myself desperate.  So I don’t have to worry about randomly hearing water sounds in public, but then I can also have fun with them in private.

It’s not something I’ve ever noticed as an adult, but did lead to one memorable accident as a kid.

I was about 9 I think, my Nan (dads mother) lived an hour or so away from us, and I used to stay with her for a couple of weeks during the school holidays. When I was staying there, we were making popcorn in a big old heavy pan, and somehow I caught my hand on the hot lid and burned it. Nan made me hold it under cold running water for 10 mins, but whilst I was doing that the phone rang so she disappeared off to answer it. 

She seemed to be gone for ages and, with nothing to distract me, all of my attention was focussed on my sore burnt finger, the sound and sensation of the cold running water and a sudden need to pee. It came from nowhere, likely a combination of the shock and the water, but within a couple of minutes I’d gone from a slight need to literally dancing on the spot and afraid I was going to wet myself at any moment. I didn’t want to leave the two though, because Nan has said I must keep my finger under water for at least 10 minutes, so a jiggled around with my legs tightly crossed doing the best I could to prevent humiliation. 

Eventually it just got too much, I’m sure I probably squirted in my pants and I just ran for it, passing Nan in the hallway on the phone and sprinting up the stairs. Inevitably, by the time I reached the bathroom, I didn’t need to go anymore. I’d completely wet myself, my black tracksuit bottoms were drenched down to my socks and my undies clung to me soggily. I nearly burst into tears of shame! After a bit of a sniffle, however, I tried to think sensibly and came up with the idea of changing into my pyjamas (it was only afternoon) and burying the shame of my wet things in the washing basket, so that’s what I did.

Nan of course noticed at once that I’d changed, and asked why. I tired to dismiss the question, shrug it off, but I’ve never been a good liar and eventually as she kept pushing I had to come clean. I couldn’t bring myself to say it though, so instead I led her upstairs to the bathroom and dug out my soggy clothes, handing them to her whilst feeling so babyish. I’ll never forget what she said, just two simple words “You wet?” Before wrapping me in a big hug and telling me that it didn’t matter. She took care of the wet clothes, then made me a hot chocolate and finished off the popcorn.

Aren’t Nans great? 🥰

@KnottyBuoy

"I needed to pee yesterday and was waiting to meet a friend outside the NYC Museum of Modern Art.  They have quite the automated water fountain and that's where I was waiting."

How are the lines to the ladies room at a particular museum, because I remember when I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art the lines to the ladies room were 50 out the door!

11 minutes ago, China Girl said:

Sounds like where I live...there are a lot of women here and not enough toilets for us. Which I like, as a diaper wearer, but it annoys a lot of people!

As a diaper wearer you can always feel a bit smug when you are somewhere where toilets are in short supply, busy or in poor condition. You just smile, let go in your nappy and think to yourself “I don’t have that problem”… as long as you’re not in the situation long enough to need to change, at least.

As a male who grew up in a maybe typical USA culture segment, my male class mates and I (~15 of us) were herded into into a restroom with eight urinals about every 90 minutes.  Usually, half of us waited for the others to finish.  Of course anytime a boy waiting felt control slipping, he'd dash into one of five cubicles.  We all peed this way three time per school day from ages five through twelve or so.

Those waiting for a place to pee endured the others peeing, toilet flushing, sink-water running and float-valve leaking noises.  I became immunized to those noises -- exactly those noises.  Send me on a hiking trail with a bridge spanning a small stream babbling over boulders and I struggle for bladder control as long as I hear the stream.  The same applies to waiting for shower water to warm.  I seldom pee in the shower because holding right next to a fixture during shower (warm-up) noise requires so much effort.

Given those experiences, even if I had good bladder control, I'd probably wear a diaper so I could safely minimize public restroom usage.

I assume that, like the boy's rooms, girl's rooms had acoustic tiles attenuating echoes.  Presumably, girl's cubicle walls and doors somewhat shielded them from direct restroom noises.

Edited by Stanley79 (see edit history)

This happened to me just the other day. I had to pee pretty bad and was holding it to have some naughty fun with my wife. I went into the kitchen to wash the dishes real quick while my wife was on my phone. I guess the the combination of the running water and the warmth on my hands was too much. I started to lose control and once I started peeing I couldn't stop it. Pee ran down my legs soaking my pajama pants and I was standing in a puddle of pee in the kitchen. Once my wife got off the phone I asked her to get me a towel because I had misjudged my need and had accidentally peed in my pants. My pajama pants were soaked since I had already taken off my wet overnight pull-up earlier (I'm a bedwetter) and had put regular underwear on. She called me a naughty boy, helped me clean up after my accident and we had some fun!