Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Least Favourite Subject at School

Been rummaging through some old documents and a couple of math papers came out, along with unpleasant memories. Took math, failed, took it again, failed again.

So, what are your least favourite subjects at school/college? Mine is definitely math and natural sciences in general lol. (I hope I'm not repeating someone else's post, btw)

I had several that I disliked, but for different reasons.

Math classes I almost universally disliked because for some reason I never had a single decent math teacher.  The only one I had that was even tolerable, I was unable to take seriously.  Why?  Because the motherfucker sounded exactly like Kermit the Frog.  Didn't help that I invariably got his class first thing in the morning so my sleep-deprived Freshman ass would have to suppress giggle fits while also trying not to nod off.  I failed his class, unsurprisingly.

P.E. was never my strong suit either since I was always more bookish than most, but this could mostly be blamed on the fact that Phys Ed courses have always primarily emphasized speed and stamina, rewarding students that naturally excelled in those fields and humiliating those that didn't.  When it came time to perform activities where we got to show off our strength, that was where I got to shine, to the point where in high school people came to call me "the bulldozer" both from just the sheer amount of power I could exert (especially when pulling or pushing things) and how hard it was to make me move if I didn't want to.

History, surprisingly, was a subject I didn't like much in school, more specifically History Classes.  I love the subject of history, but the classes themselves?  Two thirds of the content of these classes could basically be summed up as "Slavery, Hitler, Civil Rights, and Feminism" year after year (nothing against you if you're into that sort of thing, but a little bit more variety and nuance would've been nice - you can only hear the same exact things rephrased slightly so many times before you get sick of it), and it got old pretty quickly.  The exception was in high school, mostly due to a couple of very quirky teachers I had that made the class worth it just to witness the antics they got up to (that and I'll admit that one of them had a nice ass).

Of course I personally feel that public education as a whole is an obsolete relic in desperate need of a complete overhaul.  It should focus entirely on teaching practical skills (using math for example, the most advanced math the average person will ever perform is doing their taxes, and that uses math most people learn by the end of elementary school nowadays...or at least that's how it was before Common Core became a thing, I have no idea how that particular clusterfuck works now) that you'll actually use up until the point where you'd actually start looking at applying at colleges or entering the work force, then I think they should figure out what you're actually good at and then put you into stuff like advanced math and sciences if a career in that field would be a good fit for somebody with your abilities.  Otherwise, they can stop wasting the rest of everybody else's time with stuff like cellular biology or calculus that 90% of us will never use again and teach us shit like how to file our taxes, how to perform basic home and car repairs, or how our legal system functions on a basic level...you know, things the average person will have to deal with in their lives unless they're rich enough to pay other people to do it for them.

Edited by D0nt45k (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

English, especially in the later years of school where we started looking at Shakespeare or any text really, and then having to write essays, analysing the themes and techniques used by the author/composer and what he/she/they were trying to convey and how it related to ___...... Ugh, just torture, definitely the longest and driest hour of my school day, made worse by the fact that we never got a break from English, whereas other subjects you may of only had it 6 or 7 days over the 8 day subject cycle.

36 minutes ago, roeroerowrow said:

English, especially in the later years of school where we started looking at Shakespeare or any text really, and then having to write essays, analysing the themes and techniques used by the author/composer and what he/she/they were trying to convey and how it related to ___...... Ugh, just torture, definitely the longest and driest hour of my school day, made worse by the fact that we never got a break from English, whereas other subjects you may of only had it 6 or 7 days over the 8 day subject cycle.

To add insult to injury?  Everything you learned about how to write essays in that part of school was wrong, and you'd find this out the hard way in college where every English professor worth their salt would basically tell you to forget everything you were taught about writing essays up to that point and start over.  If you try to submit an essay of the type you'd write in high school in  college course, if the professor's in a good mood you might get a D on the assignment, but some professors don't give Ds, they go right from Cs to Fs.

42 minutes ago, D0nt45k said:

To add insult to injury?  Everything you learned about how to write essays in that part of school was wrong, and you'd find this out the hard way in college where every English professor worth their salt would basically tell you to forget everything you were taught about writing essays up to that point and start over.  If you try to submit an essay of the type you'd write in high school in  college course, if the professor's in a good mood you might get a D on the assignment, but some professors don't give Ds, they go right from Cs to Fs.

Not so much, my insult to injury is in my university/college that i'm doing i've never used the shit I learnt in English again.... and I think thats why i was so annoyed about having to do it in school (apart from it was boring), because I knew all of this would be useless. I haven't had to write a bunch of essays for assignments or extended responses in exams etc in my degree so far, and my last 2 subjects now don't call for any of that either - although we'll see about the exams. The most we ever did was doing a case study in one subject (that had a small literature review in it) and the other was sort of a mix between report and literature review, - that one we didn't do as well in because it was hard, but then again the person formatting the whole assignment didn't even include a exec summary, conclusion etc, moron. I despise literature reviews. 

7 hours ago, Psalm23_4 said:

As an English-major-to-be it's kinda interesting to see ideas from the other side lol.

Couple questions because i've always heard about that type of title but never spoken to anyone with it. What was the full name of the degree/course you were doing or was it just English major? What motivated you to choose that and what career path can you take with it? Not criticising or anything, just curious especially given i could never handle it haha

29 minutes ago, roeroerowrow said:

Couple questions because i've always heard about that type of title but never spoken to anyone with it. What was the full name of the degree/course you were doing or was it just English major? What motivated you to choose that and what career path can you take with it? Not criticising or anything, just curious especially given i could never handle it haha

I'm applying to several courses at different unis, at some it's called English Language and Literature and at others it's just called English. Rational choice since I've always been interested in language and literature (English was my only A when I left high school lol). Not sure of my career path yet but I kinda want to become a teacher. There are others who work in Media and Communication, Finance, Journalism etc.

For me it wasn't the subject so much as the teacher that affected how much I liked the subject. Statistics was probably the blandest subject out there, but the teacher was a lot of fun and managed to make it engaging. On the other hand, in my Senior English course I read some truly great books, but the teacher was so boring that she sucked all the fun out of them.

1 hour ago, PPP said:

For me it wasn't the subject so much as the teacher that affected how much I liked the subject. Statistics was probably the blandest subject out there, but the teacher was a lot of fun and managed to make it engaging. On the other hand, in my Senior English course I read some truly great books, but the teacher was so boring that she sucked all the fun out of them.

'Aint that the truth.  A great teacher/professor can take a class in a subject that you'd ordinarily find unbearable and actually make you give a fuck about it, and make a class in something you already did give a fuck about something to look forward to.

22 hours ago, PPP said:

Better than having a teacher who was just a pure asshole

16 hours ago, EmeraldAvalon said:

That would be topography. It never really interested me. No thanks, I don't really care what the capital of Canada or Switzerland is.

I also didn't like history, but that was moreso because that was the subject I got the lowest scores for.

You mean geography.  Topography is the study of the shape of the land.  Geography seems to be a subject that’s never really covered in American public schools...which might contribute to the stereotype of the geographically-illiterate American.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2021 at 3:32 PM, D0nt45k said:

I had several that I disliked, but for different reasons.

Math classes I almost universally disliked because for some reason I never had a single decent math teacher.  The only one I had that was even tolerable, I was unable to take seriously.  Why?  Because the motherfucker sounded exactly like Kermit the Frog.  Didn't help that I invariably got his class first thing in the morning so my sleep-deprived Freshman ass would have to suppress giggle fits while also trying not to nod off.  I failed his class, unsurprisingly.

P.E. was never my strong suit either since I was always more bookish than most, but this could mostly be blamed on the fact that Phys Ed courses have always primarily emphasized speed and stamina, rewarding students that naturally excelled in those fields and humiliating those that didn't.  When it came time to perform activities where we got to show off our strength, that was where I got to shine, to the point where in high school people came to call me "the bulldozer" both from just the sheer amount of power I could exert (especially when pulling or pushing things) and how hard it was to make me move if I didn't want to.

History, surprisingly, was a subject I didn't like much in school, more specifically History Classes.  I love the subject of history, but the classes themselves?  Two thirds of the content of these classes could basically be summed up as "Slavery, Hitler, Civil Rights, and Feminism" year after year (nothing against you if you're into that sort of thing, but a little bit more variety and nuance would've been nice - you can only hear the same exact things rephrased slightly so many times before you get sick of it), and it got old pretty quickly.  The exception was in high school, mostly due to a couple of very quirky teachers I had that made the class worth it just to witness the antics they got up to (that and I'll admit that one of them had a nice ass).

Of course I personally feel that public education as a whole is an obsolete relic in desperate need of a complete overhaul.  It should focus entirely on teaching practical skills (using math for example, the most advanced math the average person will ever perform is doing their taxes, and that uses math most people learn by the end of elementary school nowadays...or at least that's how it was before Common Core became a thing, I have no idea how that particular clusterfuck works now) that you'll actually use up until the point where you'd actually start looking at applying at colleges or entering the work force, then I think they should figure out what you're actually good at and then put you into stuff like advanced math and sciences if a career in that field would be a good fit for somebody with your abilities.  Otherwise, they can stop wasting the rest of everybody else's time with stuff like cellular biology or calculus that 90% of us will never use again and teach us shit like how to file our taxes, how to perform basic home and car repairs, or how our legal system functions on a basic level...you know, things the average person will have to deal with in their lives unless they're rich enough to pay other people to do it for them.

Oh my god I despise math. 

Also, on the subject of History, oh my fucking god can people shut up about Ancient Greece already? No one cares about Socrates anymore. And the constant brainwashing and circlejerking about muh evil Soviets doing a totalitarianism Jesus Christ shut up shut up shut up shut up. 

2 hours ago, DarkPhantom said:

Loved math in school.

...But fuck algebra.

I tolerated math *until* Algebra.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, D0nt45k said:

'Aint that the truth.  A great teacher/professor can take a class in a subject that you'd ordinarily find unbearable and actually make you give a fuck about it, and make a class in something you already did give a fuck about something to look forward to.

That's the worst thing about college. You have no clue what kind of teacher you're going to get. It'd be naïve to assume that every single teacher is going to be amazing, so I personally assume that everyone is guilty of being a prick until proven innocent.

The career path I want to do when I graduate college? Something that has nothing to do with my college major thanks. 

On 6/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, Psalm23_4 said:

Been rummaging through some old documents and a couple of math papers came out, along with unpleasant memories. Took math, failed, took it again, failed again.

So, what are your least favourite subjects at school/college? Mine is definitely math and natural sciences in general lol. (I hope I'm not repeating someone else's post, btw)

Math. By far. Followed by Science, English, and then History. Math just frustrates me to no end, and it's not even interesting. And I won't even use half of the shit I learn in math class in my daily life. The fuck am I gonna ise the Quadratic Formula for? I ain't building rockets. 

I used to like history, but College is making me actively despise it. I genuinely refuse to see myself working in a job related to history or political science because all it is is just researching dry ass academic articles and writing essays that no one is gonna read anyway. I already hate the idea of an office job. History related careers would just dial that shit up to 11. I don't even think I'd enjoy working in a museum. 

Edited by Ms. Tito (see edit history)
On 6/26/2021 at 7:39 PM, silvermoon said:

Gym class. I hate being sweaty. I also hate wearing shorts.

It's even worse for trans people because everything is so aggressively gendered. Some of the games had weird sexist rules like in dodgeball theres a rule that you get out if a girl catches a guy's ball, but not vice versa. The worst part of gym class wasn't even the exercise itself, it was the fucking locker rooms and how uncomfortable I felt being lumped in with all of the boys. I had to change in a bathroom entirely separate from the locker room because I didn't want to be in the boy's locker room with absolutely no privacy. 

Side note, WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE BOYS CHANGE OUT IN THE OPEN WITH NO PRIVACY?! WHAT KIND OF FUCKED UP LOGIC ARE YOU RUNNING ON?! 

41 minutes ago, Ms. Tito said:

Oh my god I despise math. 

Also, on the subject of History, oh my fucking god can people shut up about Ancient Greece already? No one cares about Socrates anymore. And the constant brainwashing and circlejerking about muh evil Soviets doing a totalitarianism Jesus Christ shut up shut up shut up shut up. 

I tolerated math *until* Algebra.

That's the worst thing about college. You have no clue what kind of teacher you're going to get. It'd be naïve to assume that every single teacher is going to be amazing, so I personally assume that everyone is guilty of being a prick until proven innocent.

The career path I want to do when I graduate college? Something that has nothing to do with my college major thanks. 

I would disagree on not teaching about the crimes of the Soviet Union (of which there have been many, coming from somebody who's met people who lived there and are old enough to remember the old regime), seeing as there are still people out there that either defend them as necessary or deny they even happened, but I do agree that the single-minded focus on certain aspects of it, just like other parts of history (for example, almost all mention of the Vietnam War in the American public education system will focus on the anti-war movement, the Tet Offensive, and possibly make mention of the Mai Lay Massacre just to ram the point home) is ultimately counter-productive, especially when you're only being told what happened, not why.  Unfortunately, you can't really condense that much information into a chapter of a high school textbook - people have made entire careers out of studying such things.  That's another reason why our education system is obsolete: it just can't handle the sheer amount of information that children are expected to learn these days, and as a result, they don't learn any of it particularly well.

As for professors, there are ways to figure out what kind you're gonna get ahead of time, but sometimes you only have one option, and if it's a general ed course (and they often are, naturally), you're fucked.

28 minutes ago, Ms. Tito said:

It's even worse for trans people because everything is so aggressively gendered. Some of the games had weird sexist rules like in dodgeball theres a rule that you get out if a girl catches a guy's ball, but not vice versa. The worst part of gym class wasn't even the exercise itself, it was the fucking locker rooms and how uncomfortable I felt being lumped in with all of the boys. I had to change in a bathroom entirely separate from the locker room because I didn't want to be in the boy's locker room with absolutely no privacy. 

Side note, WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE BOYS CHANGE OUT IN THE OPEN WITH NO PRIVACY?! WHAT KIND OF FUCKED UP LOGIC ARE YOU RUNNING ON?! 

Since when did dodgeball end up plyed like that?  That wasn't the case when I was in school, but I do remember there being plenty of sexist bullshit favoring girls over boys (to name one of the more egregious examples, I got snubbed at a couple of science fairs because they specifically wanted a girl to win the top prize - there may have been a racial element to it as well knowing the powers that be - in fact, this kind of crap happened enough times that by the time I finished middle school I basically just gave up on applying myself and just skated through high school because I knew I was just gonna get passed over for having a Y-chromosome no matter how hard I busted my ass).  Then again, that might be because the powers that be saw it fit to ban playing dodgeball and many contact sports entirely (until high school, and only if you were on a team or in a JROTC unit), allegedly because students were getting injured, but I guarantee you that the only injuries being sustained were to their pride; funnily enough, for being consistently being one of if not the biggest kid in the class and thus being constantly targetted, I got damned good at dodgeball (I'm talking Matrix-style evasion here) until they banned it in my district.  Granted, I was practically done with public school by the start of the 2010s, so maybe things changed in the subsequent decade?

As for locker rooms, that's a tradition as old as organized athletics itself, and I don't see that going away anytime soon, as uncomfortable as I was with it myself growing up, especially in the middle of puberty (let's just say that I was rather heavy-set and...well...it took a bit of time for certain bits of my anatomy to catch up to the rest of my body's growth).

On 7/11/2021 at 10:52 PM, roeroerowrow said:

I don't get why we have to learn Shakespeare. His stories are overrated. ESPECIALLY Rapemeo and Groomiet. Not only is it a lame ass romance story, it's borderline PEDOPHILIC because Romeo is like 17 and Juliet is 13. The most acceptable age difference for me personally is 2 years, and even then I'd personally prefer a 1 or even 0 age difference. In EITHER direction. 

Anyway, romance sucks, revenge is cool, Hamlet is awesome, watch The Lion King. 

10 minutes ago, D0nt45k said:

I would disagree on not teaching about the crimes of the Soviet Union (of which there have been many, coming from somebody who's met people who lived there and are old enough to remember the old regime), seeing as there are still people out there that either defend them as necessary or deny they even happened, but I do agree that the single-minded focus on certain aspects of it, just like other parts of history (for example, almost all mention of the Vietnam War in the American public education system will focus on the anti-war movement, the Tet Offensive, and possibly make mention of the Mai Lay Massacre just to ram the point home) is ultimately counter-productive, especially when you're only being told what happened, not why.  Unfortunately, you can't really condense that much information into a chapter of a high school textbook - people have made entire careers out of studying such things.  That's another reason why our education system is obsolete: it just can't handle the sheer amount of information that children are expected to learn these days, and as a result, they don't learn any of it particularly well.

As for professors, there are ways to figure out what kind you're gonna get ahead of time, but sometimes you only have one option, and if it's a general ed course (and they often are, naturally), you're fucked.

Since when did dodgeball end up plyed like that?  That wasn't the case when I was in school, but I do remember there being plenty of sexist bullshit favoring girls over boys (to name one of the more egregious examples, I got snubbed at a couple of science fairs because they specifically wanted a girl to win the top prize - there may have been a racial element to it as well knowing the powers that be).  Then again, that might be because the powers that be saw it fit to ban playing dodgeball and many contact sports entirely (until high school, and only if you were on a team or in a JROTC unit), allegedly because students were getting injured.  Granted, I was practically done with public school by the start of the 2010s, so maybe things changed in the subsequent decade?

As for locker rooms, that's a tradition as old as organized athletics itself, and I don't see that going away anytime soon, as uncomfortable as I was with it myself growing up, especially in the middle of puberty (let's just say that I was rather heavy-set and...well...it took a bit of time for certain bits of my anatomy to catch up to the rest of my body's growth).

Oh it was just the one coach that made those rules at my school. Which makes it even worse. 

And they can at LEAST make it so trans people can choose which locker room they feel more comfortable changing in, and FOR GOD'S SAKE HAVE SEPARATE STALLS FOR BOYS TO CHANGE IN IF THEY WANT TO! THE GIRLS ALREADY HAVE IT, WHY IS IT SUCH AN ISSUE TO IMPLEMENT FOR THE GUYS?!!

6 minutes ago, Ms. Tito said:

It was like that for the girls, too. At least at my school. I think both locker rooms had open air showers that rarely got used by anyone other than the swim team.

Wasn't uncommon to overhear comments on others' breast sizes, or who (usually just me) was wearing with prints or patterns rather than a solid color.