Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Street Urinals, What If They Were the New Norm?

Recently as I was chatting about the closing of public bathrooms and how it negatively affects people who have come to rely on them, such as myself, I started chatting with somebody in Amsterdam and I asked them about street urinals as I heard that they were common there. He was telling me how it was common for there to be street urinals basically everywhere but that it would often take a woman an hour or more to find a bathroom that she could use.

That got me thinking how frustrating that must be for the women of Amsterdam! It would be like having lots of places that had men's rooms but no ladies rooms.

Now the pragmatist in me can understand how it's more efficient to provide urinals seeing as they are cheaper and easier than providing full toilets and everything like that. And I realized that one of the reasons why the were installed in the first place were to prevent men from peeing on the streets. Since women didn't pee on the streets, generally speaking, the fact that they didn't provide anything that the women could use was not a problem. Again this goes back to my other thread about women being more patient waiting for the bathroom.

I remember I brought this up with female relatives once and they said it sounded like a great idea. The irony was that when I brought up the fact that it does nothing for women they didn't seem to think that that was much of a problem as they seem to feel that women should just not go to the bathroom in public like that, as that would just be gross. Go figure! Double standard alert!

So I am wondering if this is becoming a trend somewhere and what I am asking is how would everybody feel, particularly women, if it became a trend to install street urinals on a large scale but providing no actual toilets, meaning that it would be the same equivalent of providing a large number of men's rooms and only the occasional ladies room by a factor of 10 to 1.

I feel it at first I would be good-humored about it, but after looking for a toilet for an hour without finding one with a full bladder I would be slightly less good-humored about it. But again going along with the whole theme of patience I probably would continue looking for one until I found one and resenting the urinals.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't really see men or women being okay with pooping in the streets, haha. Even people who wouldn't be too bothered peeing in an alleyway probably wouldn't want to do the other there, too.  Ad

Here is a beautiful photo of a street urinal in Paris. What will the girls think? The man is happy, he's holding his penis and happily peeing legally in public. He's happy to have a penis because piss

I read a woman once talking on her social media about population density in the NL and open fields layout, and how with few public toilets (which also closed for COVID) there's nowhere for the ladies

Posted Images

Tangentially, I wanted to become a "bobby" when I heard that one of the duties was to offer his (at that time) helmet to any pregnant woman to use as a toilet.

I would be glad to extend that offer any woman needing to go (for any reason, pregnant or not) as a public service. I know it would not alleviate all of the problems women in desperation face, but I could do my part. 

9 hours ago, nappypants said:

A woman’s “street urinal” is her panties or diaper 😉

Wrong, it's actually my face. 

12 hours ago, China Girl said:

There would probably be less piss on the streets after guys got drunk. But us ladies would still have to hold it...or not...I'm fond of drunk accidents myself.

I will gladly offer myself up as a human urinal.

22 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

Recently as I was chatting about the closing of public bathrooms and how it negatively affects people who have come to rely on them, such as myself, I started chatting with somebody in Amsterdam and I asked them about street urinals as I heard that they were common there. He was telling me how it was common for there to be street urinals basically everywhere but that it would often take a woman an hour or more to find a bathroom that she could use.

That got me thinking how frustrating that must be for the women of Amsterdam! It would be like having lots of places that had men's rooms but no ladies rooms.

Now the pragmatist in me can understand how it's more efficient to provide urinals seeing as they are cheaper and easier than providing full toilets and everything like that. And I realized that one of the reasons why the were installed in the first place were to prevent men from peeing on the streets. Since women didn't pee on the streets, generally speaking, the fact that they didn't provide anything that the women could use was not a problem. Again this goes back to my other thread about women being more patient waiting for the bathroom.

I remember I brought this up with female relatives once and they said it sounded like a great idea. The irony was that when I brought up the fact that it does nothing for women they didn't seem to think that that was much of a problem as they seem to feel that women should just not go to the bathroom in public like that, as that would just be gross. Go figure! Double standard alert!

So I am wondering if this is becoming a trend somewhere and what I am asking is how would everybody feel, particularly women, if it became a trend to install street urinals on a large scale but providing no actual toilets, meaning that it would be the same equivalent of providing a large number of men's rooms and only the occasional ladies room by a factor of 10 to 1.

I feel it at first I would be good-humored about it, but after looking for a toilet for an hour without finding one with a full bladder I would be slightly less good-humored about it. But again going along with the whole theme of patience I probably would continue looking for one until I found one and resenting the urinals.

Legally, women might still be compelled to use the street urinals, like Gierte Piening was in the Netherlands.  https://newscoop.com/do-they-think-women-dont-have-to-pee/

@bibibibi

I am guessing given that you have a urinal as your avatar you are a pretty big fan of them LOL. But I have read that article before I am sure and it brings up a lot of good points, and that picture says everything about those two women standing in front of that very less than private urinal looking less than pleased.

"Back in 2015, Geerte Piening got caught by the police in the middle of the night while she was peeing in an alley in Amsterdam. All the clubs were closed, and the nearest public toilet was more than a mile away. She couldn’t wait. She was fined 140 euros, but refused to pay, choosing instead to fight the charges. According to Geerte, it is unfair — and sexist — for there to be 35 public toilets for men in Amsterdam, and only 2 that can be used by women. Where else could she have peed?"

This is exactly what I am talking about, men having 17 times as many places to go to the bathroom, which is actually not different than the whole situation in society at large, but this is sort of taking it to a new level of extreme frustration.

And the thing that I hate about myself is that, for all of my complaining and griping about toilet inequality, if urinals really did become the norm everywhere, I mean if this was true in every city on the earth or where I lived or anything like that, the honest truth is that I would probably, and again this goes back to my other topic about women patiently waiting for the bathroom, if I was with a group of guys I probably wouldn't stop them from using the urinals. I would be fuming at the fact that they were going every chance they got while I was standing there with my legs crossed, but the truth is I would probably wait until we got to the bathroom a mile away. I would probably complain more the longer it went on, but ultimately I would probably continue to wait patiently while the guys relieved themselves.

I also hate to admit that the pragmatist in me sometimes has to admit that I can see the perspective of the people putting the urinals out there, it's a glaring example of male privilege, but I wouldn't try to take the urinals away from guys because I'm not a total bitch, I would just be really really really jealous. But yeah like I said, I would be walking with my legs crossed probably complaining and asking the guys can we please hurry up and find a bathroom that I can use!

You know one thing I will admit is that maybe my job made me a little bit more patient than even I thought and maybe a little bit prideful. Honestly if I was in Amsterdam traveling with a group of guys I would take some pride in the fact that I was holding it for hours while they were relieving themselves, because I have begrudgingly learn to deal with that because of my job, but the jealousy would never go away, every time the guys stop to take a leak at the urinals I would probably be crossing my legs tighter and gritting my teeth.

2 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@bibibibi

I am guessing given that you have a urinal as your avatar you are a pretty big fan of them LOL. But I have read that article before I am sure and it brings up a lot of good points, and that picture says everything about those two women standing in front of that very less than private urinal looking less than pleased.

"Back in 2015, Geerte Piening got caught by the police in the middle of the night while she was peeing in an alley in Amsterdam. All the clubs were closed, and the nearest public toilet was more than a mile away. She couldn’t wait. She was fined 140 euros, but refused to pay, choosing instead to fight the charges. According to Geerte, it is unfair — and sexist — for there to be 35 public toilets for men in Amsterdam, and only 2 that can be used by women. Where else could she have peed?"

This is exactly what I am talking about, men having 17 times as many places to go to the bathroom, which is actually not different than the whole situation in society at large, but this is sort of taking it to a new level of extreme frustration.

And the thing that I hate about myself is that, for all of my complaining and griping about toilet inequality, if urinals really did become the norm everywhere, I mean if this was true in every city on the earth or where I lived or anything like that, the honest truth is that I would probably, and again this goes back to my other topic about women patiently waiting for the bathroom, if I was with a group of guys I probably wouldn't stop them from using the urinals. I would be fuming at the fact that they were going every chance they got while I was standing there with my legs crossed, but the truth is I would probably wait until we got to the bathroom a mile away. I would probably complain more the longer it went on, but ultimately I would probably continue to wait patiently while the guys relieved themselves.

I also hate to admit that the pragmatist in me sometimes has to admit that I can see the perspective of the people putting the urinals out there, it's a glaring example of male privilege, but I wouldn't try to take the urinals away from guys because I'm not a total bitch, I would just be really really really jealous. But yeah like I said, I would be walking with my legs crossed probably complaining and asking the guys can we please hurry up and find a bathroom that I can use!

You know one thing I will admit is that maybe my job made me a little bit more patient than even I thought and maybe a little bit prideful. Honestly if I was in Amsterdam traveling with a group of guys I would take some pride in the fact that I was holding it for hours while they were relieving themselves, because I have begrudgingly learn to deal with that because of my job, but the jealousy would never go away, every time the guys stop to take a leak at the urinals I would probably be crossing my legs tighter and gritting my teeth.

Why not learn to aim by spreading your anatomy? 

I read a woman once talking on her social media about population density in the NL and open fields layout, and how with few public toilets (which also closed for COVID) there's nowhere for the ladies to pee.

The story about the Geerte Piening peeing in the alley and the judge suggesting her to use the urinal brings us back to what I posted in your female patience thread - society has little regard for female needs, that's still a relatively novel trend. In the city I live I read they passed a law that every new movie theater must come equipped with double the number of cubicles in the female toilets as before. But that only concerns the future construction, and we all know how likely is that given the movie theaters bankrupting after lockdown and everyone basically watching Netflix at home anyway in 2021.

Society doesn't accomodate for women - so women have to accomodate for society and hold their pee. And if they're taking a taxi home instead of peeing in public anyway, there's little motivation for the society to solve this issue for them. Likewise there's still too few women in politics to really make a difference about issue like that.

Street urinals. It's hard to imagine they ever becoming a norm. Females require privacy and basic comfort, which it's simply unable to provide. They also need to put their clothes back in place, make sure they look good and stuff. Hence their need for proper toilets.

I can't realistically see doing away with their need for privacy because this is something already in their programming. If women weren't shy about relieving themselves in the streets, there was no need for public toilets to begin with.

Besides, even today there's quite some people who simply refuse to use the public toilets for one reason or another and hold it home anyway.

58 minutes ago, Pisikak said:

If women weren't shy about relieving themselves in the streets, there was no need for public toilets to begin with.

I can't really see men or women being okay with pooping in the streets, haha. Even people who wouldn't be too bothered peeing in an alleyway probably wouldn't want to do the other there, too. 

Additionally, in the West at least, public toilets were designated men's only until the Victorian era. So they didn't come about because women wanted privacy and were in fact used as an excuse to keep women out of the public sphere.

(This history is part of why I think gender-neutral toilets should be the norm, segregating public facilities by sex started as a method to keep one group of people at home, and that continues to be the case with laws being passed to prevent trans people from using public toilets today.) 

1 hour ago, Pisikak said:

I read a woman once talking on her social media about population density in the NL and open fields layout, and how with few public toilets (which also closed for COVID) there's nowhere for the ladies to pee.

The story about the Geerte Piening peeing in the alley and the judge suggesting her to use the urinal brings us back to what I posted in your female patience thread - society has little regard for female needs, that's still a relatively novel trend. In the city I live I read they passed a law that every new movie theater must come equipped with double the number of cubicles in the female toilets as before. But that only concerns the future construction, and we all know how likely is that given the movie theaters bankrupting after lockdown and everyone basically watching Netflix at home anyway in 2021.

Society doesn't accomodate for women - so women have to accomodate for society and hold their pee. And if they're taking a taxi home instead of peeing in public anyway, there's little motivation for the society to solve this issue for them. Likewise there's still too few women in politics to really make a difference about issue like that.

Street urinals. It's hard to imagine they ever becoming a norm. Females require privacy and basic comfort, which it's simply unable to provide. They also need to put their clothes back in place, make sure they look good and stuff. Hence their need for proper toilets.

I can't realistically see doing away with their need for privacy because this is something already in their programming. If women weren't shy about relieving themselves in the streets, there was no need for public toilets to begin with.

Besides, even today there's quite some people who simply refuse to use the public toilets for one reason or another and hold it home anyway.

The decline of the public restroom in the uk is all about local council cost cutting, there is a cost to maintain and as all other private establishments provide facilities and there are many of them, cinema, bars, restaurants all of which the public has been to for entertainment there seems no need to provide public conveniences,

Amsterdam is a tourist city with very loose soft drug use and sex trade laws attracting many groups of predominantly young men so I suggest the urinals are there to try to control the mess of many men peeing in the streets, and the tax from the spending goes towards paying for the upkeep,

agreed urinals for women are a non starter for reasons stated above by @Pisikak and therefore won’t become the norm,

besides it’s one of my fav things seeing a female bursting while waiting on her taxi home after an evening of bars and clubs,

5 hours ago, segaface said:

I can't really see men or women being okay with pooping in the streets, haha. Even people who wouldn't be too bothered peeing in an alleyway probably wouldn't want to do the other there, too. 

Additionally, in the West at least, public toilets were designated men's only until the Victorian era. So they didn't come about because women wanted privacy and were in fact used as an excuse to keep women out of the public sphere.

(This history is part of why I think gender-neutral toilets should be the norm, segregating public facilities by sex started as a method to keep one group of people at home, and that continues to be the case with laws being passed to prevent trans people from using public toilets today.) 

Based take.

14 hours ago, China Girl said:

Pissing on someone's face in public is pretty illegal here, I'd rather you didn't.

You right, you right. Sorry. 

It's a problem everywhere I guess.  I live in Brussels, Belgium, and I know of exactly two public toilets accessible or fit for women. Brussels has 1,2 million inhabitants and half of them are women. There are on the other hand heaps of them for men. As I have a bladder the size of a pea and am quite accident prone (if I have to go, I really have to find a place quickly or I have an accident) it's really a problem for me. Especially if there is some alcohol involved. I understand from the government/city point of view real toilets are more expensive to install and to maintain, but us women are half of the population so i do think we have the right to be able to pee.
If I go out I make it a point to always were a skirt or a dress so if it goes wrong at least it isn't obvious. That works pretty well in the summer, but in the winter when it's cold one can hardly pee down one's legs when wearing pantyhose... Double standards and male privilege suck...

2 hours ago, China Girl said:

I'm really lucky living in the south of China in that respect. It doesn't get too cold here usually, and if I do have to wear tights with my skirt/dress it's not too bad if I pee in them (it really doesn't show too much on dark tights). Not to mention diapers, which I use too.

You in Lingnan?

@Pisikak

"I read a woman once talking on her social media about population density in the NL and open fields layout, and how with few public toilets (which also closed for COVID) there's nowhere for the ladies to pee."

This is what I am often saying, men's urinary needs are taken as a given and can almost always be accommodated, whereas women's bathroom needs are something of an afterthought. I think that a lot of people, especially when they think of outdoor events just figured men are going to pee anywhere and figured that the women usually don't so that they will just hold it. I wonder how much of it is due to just overall society. But because men pee freely society decides to accommodate it, but since women tend to hold it society just lets them go on holding it. Maybe it really is true going back to the patience thread that we just don't make enough of a fuss about these things.

But I know that I have been at numerous outdoor events, not even counting my job, where there were no toilets provided at all and the men found it easy enough to relieve themselves and by the end of the events the women were pretty much all dancing around, and when you got back to civilization where there were toilets for women were bolting like that's out of hell just to relieve themselves, myself included of course!

"The story about the Geerte Piening peeing in the alley and the judge suggesting her to use the urinal brings us back to what I posted in your female patience thread - society has little regard for female needs, that's still a relatively novel trend. In the city I live I read they passed a law that every new movie theater must come equipped with double the number of cubicles in the female toilets as before. But that only concerns the future construction, and we all know how likely is that given the movie theaters bankrupting after lockdown and everyone basically watching Netflix at home anyway in 2021."

This is very true and that's why I am pessimistic about potty parity. Even in places where they do have it only applies to renovations or new construction where they renovate more than 50% of the place meaning that there are so many exemptions that it will hardly ever take place and even if it were to take place it would take decades before we see a noticeable difference on a large scale. Like I said I suspect that lines are going to be a continuing problem at the ladies room for as long as I live and will probably get worse before they get better.

Plus even giving women double as many toilets still doesn't bring us up to having more, that just brings us up to having the same number of stalls as stalls and urinals in the men's room and maybe not even that much, and given that we still take longer and go more and have female issues like pregnancy and children and other things like that to deal with it still won't bring us up to equal parity with the men.

It's like the other article said the line to the ladies room line is about 34 times as long as the line to the men's room. Giving us double as many toilets would mean it would still be about 17 times as long, we simply can't win on this one I am starting to think...

"Society doesn't accomodate for women - so women have to accomodate for society and hold their pee. And if they're taking a taxi home instead of peeing in public anyway, there's little motivation for the society to solve this issue for them. Likewise there's still too few women in politics to really make a difference about issue like that."

I like it is said about 85% of architects to design these bathrooms are men and society is largely designed for men and male needs. Society is made to accommodate men and their desires and needs where as women are supposed to just suck it up and deal with it. No toilets, oh well guess you'll have to hold it. And it's true that very few women are making these decisions and I can't help but think that the street urinals were probably men's ideas in the first place, but it's also true that a lot of time women accommodate men as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of women under pressure to do something about men peeing in the streets would go along with the idea of street urinals.

Like I said I have talked to female relatives about this once and they all thought it was a good idea to provide street urinals for the men so they won't be peeing everywhere when I pointed out that there was nothing for the women they said well then the women will just have to hold it I guess because it's not practical to provide urinals.

And the thing I really hate is that the pragmatist in me sort of half agrees. If I was on some type of city Council and they were suggesting that street urinals would solve the problem of men peeing everywhere I would probably approve of that and suggest that at least maybe they create some toilets for the women, but if they didn't provide toilets for the women I still wouldn't oppose street urinals for men, I would just be kind of jealous and resentful and I would sort of be voting with my nose pinched because the whole situation stinks.

"Street urinals. It's hard to imagine they ever becoming a norm. Females require privacy and basic comfort, which it's simply unable to provide. They also need to put their clothes back in place, make sure they look good and stuff. Hence their need for proper toilets."

I wouldn't be surprised of street urinals actually did become the norm because it just totally disregards female needs altogether. But I was really getting at is that the reason why it would be frustrating for this to become the norm is that the ideas, will provide street urinals for the men and nothing for the ladies, they will just go on holding it. And again given that society is made to accommodate men and their needs I wouldn't be surprised at that at all, I really wouldn't. Just like the article said there is 35 places for men to pee and only two for women and I guess they think the fact that they provide to at all is sort of like being generous. Even providing 17 times as many for the men they figure they still aren't really shortchanging the women because they gave us something instead of absolutely nothing even though they gave us just as close to nothing as you can get without it being nothing.

@liesjeversteven

"Double standards and male privilege suck..."

From my boy cousins peeing outdoors, to the unfair bathroom pass system in elementary school, to locking all the girls bathrooms but not the boys in high school, to endless bathroom lines to my job where I hold it all day this is really the story of my life.

And I can see a little bit of male privilege in this thread where a lot of guys are thinking of the exciting prospects of seeing women coming home bursting for taxicabs simply because we can't go to the bathroom. As a fan of female desperation I can appreciate it, as a female who is often desperate it is kind of damn frustrating.
But once again going back to my patients that had the thing that I hate the most about myself is that if street urinals did become the norm, if there was a monument to male privilege and urination every street corner but nothing for the ladies I would probably find some way to get used to it. I cross my legs, I complain, I would write, but at the end of the day I would find some way to adapt to it, suck it up and hold it all while remaining extremely frustrated and just how easy it is for the men to relieve themselves.

And the other thing I hate to admit is that sometimes I do get jealous of guys over the fact that they can watch women squirm without having to squirm along with them. Like I said I could have a lot of fun in a place like Amsterdam watching women squirm if not for the fact that at some point I would have to join them, which again is the irony of my current situation, and some would say the poetic justice of it.

Two instances in my life i was upset about not being able to pee when a guy could were when I was little and playing at a playground a few blocks from home, sometimes the boys would go around a corner of one of the apartments to this tree and relieve themselves. Meanwhile if i had to pee, i either held it or went alllll the way home.

When i was in high school, they brought passing period down from 10 minutes, to 8 minutes, then to 5. And it might be enough time for guys to relieve themselves and get where they are going, but us ladies had to wait until class started, then ask to go (i was shy so i just held it), then get asked why we didnt go before class. I had one teacher who was understanding enough and would let the girls go to the bathroom after 20 minutes because she didnt think it was right either. I was stuck waiting until lunch and home most days though.

11 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@Pisikak

"I read a woman once talking on her social media about population density in the NL and open fields layout, and how with few public toilets (which also closed for COVID) there's nowhere for the ladies to pee."

This is what I am often saying, men's urinary needs are taken as a given and can almost always be accommodated, whereas women's bathroom needs are something of an afterthought. I think that a lot of people, especially when they think of outdoor events just figured men are going to pee anywhere and figured that the women usually don't so that they will just hold it. I wonder how much of it is due to just overall society. But because men pee freely society decides to accommodate it, but since women tend to hold it society just lets them go on holding it. Maybe it really is true going back to the patience thread that we just don't make enough of a fuss about these things.

But I know that I have been at numerous outdoor events, not even counting my job, where there were no toilets provided at all and the men found it easy enough to relieve themselves and by the end of the events the women were pretty much all dancing around, and when you got back to civilization where there were toilets for women were bolting like that's out of hell just to relieve themselves, myself included of course!

"The story about the Geerte Piening peeing in the alley and the judge suggesting her to use the urinal brings us back to what I posted in your female patience thread - society has little regard for female needs, that's still a relatively novel trend. In the city I live I read they passed a law that every new movie theater must come equipped with double the number of cubicles in the female toilets as before. But that only concerns the future construction, and we all know how likely is that given the movie theaters bankrupting after lockdown and everyone basically watching Netflix at home anyway in 2021."

This is very true and that's why I am pessimistic about potty parity. Even in places where they do have it only applies to renovations or new construction where they renovate more than 50% of the place meaning that there are so many exemptions that it will hardly ever take place and even if it were to take place it would take decades before we see a noticeable difference on a large scale. Like I said I suspect that lines are going to be a continuing problem at the ladies room for as long as I live and will probably get worse before they get better.

Plus even giving women double as many toilets still doesn't bring us up to having more, that just brings us up to having the same number of stalls as stalls and urinals in the men's room and maybe not even that much, and given that we still take longer and go more and have female issues like pregnancy and children and other things like that to deal with it still won't bring us up to equal parity with the men.

It's like the other article said the line to the ladies room line is about 34 times as long as the line to the men's room. Giving us double as many toilets would mean it would still be about 17 times as long, we simply can't win on this one I am starting to think...

"Society doesn't accomodate for women - so women have to accomodate for society and hold their pee. And if they're taking a taxi home instead of peeing in public anyway, there's little motivation for the society to solve this issue for them. Likewise there's still too few women in politics to really make a difference about issue like that."

I like it is said about 85% of architects to design these bathrooms are men and society is largely designed for men and male needs. Society is made to accommodate men and their desires and needs where as women are supposed to just suck it up and deal with it. No toilets, oh well guess you'll have to hold it. And it's true that very few women are making these decisions and I can't help but think that the street urinals were probably men's ideas in the first place, but it's also true that a lot of time women accommodate men as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of women under pressure to do something about men peeing in the streets would go along with the idea of street urinals.

Like I said I have talked to female relatives about this once and they all thought it was a good idea to provide street urinals for the men so they won't be peeing everywhere when I pointed out that there was nothing for the women they said well then the women will just have to hold it I guess because it's not practical to provide urinals.

And the thing I really hate is that the pragmatist in me sort of half agrees. If I was on some type of city Council and they were suggesting that street urinals would solve the problem of men peeing everywhere I would probably approve of that and suggest that at least maybe they create some toilets for the women, but if they didn't provide toilets for the women I still wouldn't oppose street urinals for men, I would just be kind of jealous and resentful and I would sort of be voting with my nose pinched because the whole situation stinks.

"Street urinals. It's hard to imagine they ever becoming a norm. Females require privacy and basic comfort, which it's simply unable to provide. They also need to put their clothes back in place, make sure they look good and stuff. Hence their need for proper toilets."

I wouldn't be surprised of street urinals actually did become the norm because it just totally disregards female needs altogether. But I was really getting at is that the reason why it would be frustrating for this to become the norm is that the ideas, will provide street urinals for the men and nothing for the ladies, they will just go on holding it. And again given that society is made to accommodate men and their needs I wouldn't be surprised at that at all, I really wouldn't. Just like the article said there is 35 places for men to pee and only two for women and I guess they think the fact that they provide to at all is sort of like being generous. Even providing 17 times as many for the men they figure they still aren't really shortchanging the women because they gave us something instead of absolutely nothing even though they gave us just as close to nothing as you can get without it being nothing.

@liesjeversteven

"Double standards and male privilege suck..."

From my boy cousins peeing outdoors, to the unfair bathroom pass system in elementary school, to locking all the girls bathrooms but not the boys in high school, to endless bathroom lines to my job where I hold it all day this is really the story of my life.

And I can see a little bit of male privilege in this thread where a lot of guys are thinking of the exciting prospects of seeing women coming home bursting for taxicabs simply because we can't go to the bathroom. As a fan of female desperation I can appreciate it, as a female who is often desperate it is kind of damn frustrating.
But once again going back to my patients that had the thing that I hate the most about myself is that if street urinals did become the norm, if there was a monument to male privilege and urination every street corner but nothing for the ladies I would probably find some way to get used to it. I cross my legs, I complain, I would write, but at the end of the day I would find some way to adapt to it, suck it up and hold it all while remaining extremely frustrated and just how easy it is for the men to relieve themselves.

And the other thing I hate to admit is that sometimes I do get jealous of guys over the fact that they can watch women squirm without having to squirm along with them. Like I said I could have a lot of fun in a place like Amsterdam watching women squirm if not for the fact that at some point I would have to join them, which again is the irony of my current situation, and some would say the poetic justice of it.

I would try and invest in a female equivalent to the male urinals. 

@NearNudeLayla

"Two instances in my life i was upset about not being able to pee when a guy could were when I was little and playing at a playground a few blocks from home, sometimes the boys would go around a corner of one of the apartments to this tree and relieve themselves. Meanwhile if i had to pee, i either held it or went alllll the way home."

That happened to me all the time growing up like one time we went to this playground upstate where there was no bathrooms and the boys would just go to the bathroom all day and by the end of the day we had to leave simply because I needed the bathroom so badly. Likewise when I was walking in the woods with my boy cousins they would just pee on the tree or whatever we were outdoors where I would have to hold it until we got home at which point I was pretty much running for the toilet.

"When i was in high school, they brought passing period down from 10 minutes, to 8 minutes, then to 5. And it might be enough time for guys to relieve themselves and get where they are going, but us ladies had to wait until class started, then ask to go (i was shy so i just held it), then get asked why we didnt go before class. I had one teacher who was understanding enough and would let the girls go to the bathroom after 20 minutes because she didnt think it was right either. I was stuck waiting until lunch and home most days though."

In high school it was always four minutes between classes and that was the only time we were supposed to go to the bathroom. Other than that you would have to ask the teacher but the teacher was not often sympathetic. I think most of the teachers didn't realize that because of the line for the ladies room that if there was a line that women would have to end up waiting for several periods before they got a chance to go. That is why I tried to go between every class because if you waited until it was an emergency sometimes you might not have time enough to use it, so if there was no line I was definitely going to use the bathroom, but often times you would open the door and you would see a big line and think, I guess I'm going to have to wait another period.

The thing that got really ridiculous though was the last year or two of high school they found drugs and alcohol in the girls bathroom so they locked all of them except for maybe one bathroom with five stalls. So we had a situation where there were five stalls for hundreds of girls making it nearly impossible for anyone to use the bathroom reasonably unless they just happened to be the first one to get there. As a result of that I would end up waiting until lunch just like you did because it lunch they didn't take attendance and you could wait 20 minutes in line for the bathroom.

But it's another one of those examples of where women were giving in in attic and amount of places to relieve themselves and yet it was considered fair while the boys never had a line or a way about their bathroom. Guys could easily relieve themselves between classes where as there was always a big line of the girls bathroom meaning that certainly most girls didn't get to go to the bathroom most of the time most of the day, and yet strangely enough few people talk about it, but when you saw someone raising their hand in class asking the teacher to go to the bathroom it was almost always a girl and the answer was almost always no because "girls just go into the bathroom to chat etc."

No we don't, because between classes there probably isn't anyone in the bathroom, we go to the bathroom because we have to pee and we go during class because there's not enough time between classes for us to use the bathroom in a reasonable amount of time with the inadequate facilities you have provided for us!

@Ms. Tito

"I would try and invest in a female equivalent to the male urinals."

These were tried in the past and never proved to be as popular or as efficient as male urinals which is probably why we haven't seen that many future attempts. The fact is most women just really needs stalls but stalls are more expensive and space consuming, so we are unlikely to get them, thus why male Street urinals are common where nothing for the women is sort of taken as the norm.