Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Discussion: When do people start wearing protection on daily basis

Just a topic that could be a fun thing to discuss.

When do you think people start thinking about wearing protection on a daily basis?

We have all seen to Tiktok videos of someone's friend always wetting themselves over multiple videos. At what point would someone think about wearing protection? Now, this will vary greatly from one person to the next but I always think of the average.

Is it a wetting once a month? Once a week?

I figure if you have an accident on average once a month, you would get tired of the embarassment and laundry that you may start wearing more often.

I feel bed wetting would progress to nightly wearing faster than accidents during the day leading to daytime protection.

Personally if I bedwet once a month, I would start wearing a pull up.pretty quickly. 

I may starting wearing the day if I wet once a week or come close to wetting once a week.

What's your thoughts?

Edited by REDstoplight (see edit history)

Honestly, an interesting topic of discussion. I think night wetting probably has a lower personal tolerance because the ability to take care of those issues is facilitated by the privacy of one's own home, and if there's a significant other involved, the consideration of not embarrassing one's self with them there. It's more embarrassing to wet in public during the day, but it's more embarrassing to wear diapers in public when someone might find out and you'd be more self conscious about it.

I'd say if someone wets once a month a night, they would probably not quite feel like diapers but may consider it. Once it's more like 3 or 4 times a month, it becomes a more prevalent threat. That same number would probably not be applied for public accidents unless they're big and obvious. I already have to wear for protection reasons, but if not I'd consider wearing daily at 4 or 5 accidents a month and consider night protection at 2-5 times a month.

I think it's probably all about the person and how much they care about their perception!

I would imagine it would typically be a substantial public accident that would trigger someone to start wearing significant protection on a daily basis, taking them out of the “denial phase” of incontinence.

Obviously some people become incontinent suddenly due to injury, illness, childbirth complications etc. so have a decision to make straight away depending on severity, but but in cases where it’s a gradual progression, it might go something like:

• Light leakage - small pad
  • Moderate leakage - larger pad
  • Heavy leakage and occasional full wetting - light pull-up
  • Regular full wettings - heavy pull-up or nappy depending on situation
  • No functional control - nappies full-time

Of course people may vary things for night time, or when at home and close to the toilet (or conversely, when toilet access is likely to be particularly difficult or unpredictable).

I can't imagine wearing some bulky, sweaty garment that's every bit as embarrassing as an accident if it gets noticed 24/7 if you're only going to have an accident on rare occasion. Especially since the situations with people you're going to see again are the ones where bathrooms are most plentiful - it's just a walk down the hall at your home or office. But then, I'm not a DL; just found this topic 'cause I search for bedwetting every so often.

For me, tossing my wet pajamas and sheets in the laundry when I get up, then in the dryer when I get in, then back on the bed while I watch Youtube before bedtime is no big deal. It adds less than a minute here and there to my routine. Maybe if I wet several times a week, it'd be different, but once every couple weeks... nah.

Edited by trekkie (see edit history)

for bed wetting, i was usually more off again with it until i intentionally went full steam on untraining again. before that though, twice in a month would make me start taking precautions 

i’m starting to hit some real waking incontinence issues. so far, only one accident that anybody else saw. i unfortunately had to get gas on my way home after an accident, and had to pay cash. several people at the gas station saw me... i’m at... several a week. 2-3 probably

if more people saw, i’d probably do more about it, but it might not immediately go to padding 24/7 until frequency of accidents goes up, including more public ones, or until it’s more feasible for me

currently my work isn’t very diaper friendly, but also does mostly a good job of making me sweat, getting water out in other ways. which does help a bit.

just not enough. i am finding myself taking some precautions in regards to work. potty when i get there a bit before work starts, potty every 2 hours, including now before i leave work... because i’ve had a good few after work lately...

10 hours ago, croakierpaint said:

I had a girl I once dated who said she used to wet as a teenager, quite a few times a week (she didn't know my fetish, so as you can imagine, this got my attention , the questions then began...)... I asked her how she dealt with that ("pls say diaper" I thought) and she just said, she would always just bring a spare pair of underwear and trousers, and she was fine with that. You'll be surprised how against diaper wearing most people are - it feels damaging to wear one for most (who are incontinent before it's a fetish anyway).

Yes, people typically will be resistant to diaper wearing, and certainly few will resort to a full taped diaper unless they have pretty much no control (or maybe in a particular scenario where getting to a toilet will be difficult, such as a long flight).

However, the “discreet” adult pull-ups are marketed towards young to middle-aged women and would probably be sufficient for those who have even daily accidents but can usually make it to the toilet, or change promptly when they don’t. I’m sure there are still those who would see them as too close to a nappy and try to get by with light pads and/or a change of clothes, but they’ve certainly been normalised and shown as the “acceptable” face of incontinence protection.

Of course, we all know that even a fairly bulky adult nappy isn’t obvious under many clothes - but to an incontinent person, the initial feeling would probably be that everyone in the world will notice. We must walk past adults in nappies all the time and usually not notice, and we’re the people most likely to pick up on something!

Edited by nappypants (see edit history)

Also, I’d suggest the younger people are, the more resistant they are likely to be to wearing nappies/pull-ups/protection of any sort - with the possible exception of those who have had lifelong problems and never really been out of them.

Younger people tend to be more focused on fashion, lifestyle, fitting in, finding partners etc. whereas as the years go by, people are more likely to become less concerned about those things and just say **** it and do what works for them.

14 hours ago, nappypants said:

Also, I’d suggest the younger people are, the more resistant they are likely to be to wearing nappies/pull-ups/protection of any sort - with the possible exception of those who have had lifelong problems and never really been out of them.

l

Yeah, this was me. I thought it'd be too embarrassing. I still won't wear them during the day unless absolutle necessary (usually my panties are enough during the day anyway), but they are convenient to wear during the night.

Although recently daytime accidents have become more common than nighttime accidents.

• 4 weeks later...

Data point: My SO has about one accident a month if you average it out (though they tend to be clustered rather than evenly spaced). She has worn a diaper, of her own accord, to protect against potential accidents, exactly once. She was going to be on a plane with no bathroom (the diaper didn't end up getting used). And even that incident, I'd put it in a grey area between serving a need and indulging my fetish. I don't think she genuinely thought she was likely to have an accident, and if she didn't already have diapers in the house for fun, she wouldn't have gone out and bought them for that occasion.

I think it depends very much on the person and what the specific circumstances are.

My own experience is a bit limited but I had some sort of bladder issues as a kid (but nothing permanent). It wasn’t the usual bed-wetting, I don’t know what it really was but it led to a loss of control (or lack of control) at times with daily accidents. There was no way I would willingly wear protection of any kind. I think this would be hard for any young boy, because of how easy you can get shut out and/or bullied. Everything is very focused on appearance, the last thing you want is something that is usually associated with immaturity. I can’t speak for the girls but I would think it is not much different. Children (and teenagers) are or can be cruel monsters at this age...

From a logical and more pragmatic point of view some light protection would have sufficed and nobody would have guessed anything. Probably. But I never got caught in a full blown accident. At least not in a way that lots of people could see it, on the other hand I had to somehow hide the smaller ones. That was nerve wracking…

Luckily my problems got somehow better and I don’t have to deal with this anymore.

I’m not sure what I would really do if something similar happened or even something more severe. I think I would have less problems to adapt to wearing diapers regularly. I certainly don’t want to wait until I have a big public accident. But to be honest that is nothing I wish for. It would be a huge change in my life. I see diapers as something I can use by choice and I would like to keep it that way.

Edited by FluffySeal (see edit history)
On 6/21/2021 at 11:21 PM, China Girl said:

Some people like the idea of diapers more than others. There's no single answer to this. I wear them, and I have a friend who wears them too, but most people don't even after having an accident.

How did you get to talking to your friend about it?  Do you share experiences?

I am pretty sure it's less about time and more about activity.  Once your bladder control gets below a certain point, you would wear on a car ride, or plane ride, but not at home or work, say.

The next phase is to wear them when out of the house at all, and not while at home. (Apart from night if bedwetting).

Last phase is all the time even at home.

My experience, anyway.

If you're 2 female runners on a long run, having both drunk loads of water to stay hydrated, and wearing little skirts where it's so easy to have an accident without people noticing, then it does naturally come up.

What happened exactly was that I ended up peeing my skirt entirely by accident, and she said that it doesn't matter, and in fact she later ended up wetting her skirt too. So after that we came to talk about enjoying it.

Edited by China Girl (see edit history)