Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Anyone feels that beer/alcohol causes very random desperation?

When I drink non-alcoholic liquids, I feel that the bladder fills in a gradual way. I can sort of make an estimation on how long it will be before I get desperate.

I did have had some unexpected effects from beer though. I know it is a diuretic and causes you to pee more. So it's not abnormal for me to visit the toilet very frequently when drinking in a pub. But what I find strange is that sometimes the desperation can come on very quickly, even thought it was barely there a short time before.

For example, I try to be "safe" when leaving for home and visit the toilet at the pub before departure. I have had times when I barely felt a need, so I estimated I had plenty of margin to make it till home. I leave the pub and then suddenly after like ten minutes, a need starts hitting. And in a short period of time it goes from needing a pee to very desperate. As if all that liquid had been waiting somewhere in my body and now suddenly decided to flood my bladder. Very annoying if you then are sitting in someone's car, announcing you have to pee, while you had all the opportunity like fifteen minutes ago. Especially because I don't have the biggest bladder, so I don't have that much margin in holding.

Has anyone else experienced that beer or alcohol causes random and sudden desperation?

Having worked in restaurants / catering / food service / concert/events (and the like) for far too long, I have noticed that drinking alcoholic beverages causes the patrons to pee more often than non-alcoholic beverage drinkers. 

The only thing that seems to come close is when someone drinks a lot of any liquid (like drinking many "Big Gulp" types of cups). But even then, the alcohol drinkers go to the bathroom much more frequently - in my experience.

Most important thing alcohol does, is mess up your brain and you have trouble perceiving when you should use a bathroom and sometimes you get super desperate or even have a wetting accident because of that. You also often make bad decisions when drunk. You think "it's still time" or feel adventurous and hold it too long. At least that happens to me when I get drunk. 

On 4/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, Spectator9 said:

I agree that alcohol can affect both your sensing the need to pee and your judgment of what to do about it.  You may not even notice how full you are until a sudden urge or even leakage demands attention.

Yes, I've heard tales of extremely drunk people wetting themselves without warning. I guess the term "pissed" didn't originate without good reason!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, CarmenCD said:

Most important thing alcohol does, is mess up your brain and you have trouble perceiving when you should use a bathroom and sometimes you get super desperate or even have a wetting accident because of that. You also often make bad decisions when drunk. You think "it's still time" or feel adventurous and hold it too long. At least that happens to me when I get drunk. 

@CarmenCD That is an interesting perspective! Alcohol certainly makes you "feel" your body different and that can lead to poor judgement. So when you normally have some discipline to visit the bathroom before leaving, you get looser with discipline with an intoxicated mind.

On top of that, I find it hard to make estimates about my holding capacity, because the normal "flow" to my bladder suddenly is much larger. And sometimes it comes in waves instead of a steady buildup. So I could go from not feeling much need to very desperate in 15 minutes.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:57 PM, nappypants said:

Yes, I've heard tales of extremely drunk people wetting themselves without warning. I guess the term "pissed" didn't originate without good reason!

Wow, that's already pretty extreme indeed! 🙂 Guess that has more to do with loosing muscle function than actually overestimating your capacity! 😄

On 4/11/2021 at 9:42 AM, tennyson said:

Having worked in restaurants / catering / food service / concert/events (and the like) for far too long, I have noticed that drinking alcoholic beverages causes the patrons to pee more often than non-alcoholic beverage drinkers. 

The only thing that seems to come close is when someone drinks a lot of any liquid (like drinking many "Big Gulp" types of cups). But even then, the alcohol drinkers go to the bathroom much more frequently - in my experience.

I certainly have it too that I need to pee more frequently during alcohol consumption. I just feel that sometimes the diuretic effect kicks in big time. So instead of a gradual buildup, it is a really fast buildup of desperation.