Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Nighttime Diaper Suggestions

When it comes to night time diapers, absorbency is the #1 priority. Granted absorbency is always important, but even more so at night. During the day it's easier to get away with thinner/lighter diapers since you can change and are usually in a more "neutral" position such as standing or at least not on your back or stomach which can hinder the diaper's ability to absorb. So having a more absorbent diaper at night mitigates that issue. Also, it's less of an issue being subtle so using a thick bulky crinkly diaper is less of an issue than if you're trying to be stealthy during the day.

I haven't used Abenas or Dry 24/7's in a while, so i'm not sure how or if their quality changed, but they're pretty good.

I would suggest MegaMaxes, easily some of the most absorbent leak resistant diapers i've tired and they're sized on the bigger side which I think also helps them contain moisture, but unfortunately they're not available in Europe atm 😐.

However, overall, I think AB diapers are generally leaps and bounds better in quality compared to medical diapers so I'd suggest

1.) ABU PeekABU (or Simple Ultra)

- uses sticky adhesive tapes. The Simple Ultra has no graphics on it, the PeekABU has an animal face on the landing zone that I personally think is cute and like xD

2.) Tykables Camelot or Overnight/Galactic

- uses refastenable hook and loop tapes

3.) Rearz Alpacas

- uses sticky adhesive tapes

Those are some of the 3 most absorbent diapers I know of. All of them except the Simple Ultra have abdl graphics on them. The only diaper that can compete with their levels of leakage protection are MegaMaxes imo. Also, most abdl diapers are considerably more expensive than medial diapers, but as I said, there's a noticeable quality difference so you definitely get what you pay for.

Also, as you learn what diapers fit your body/frame better as you try more out, that'll also ultimately be a factor in picking out a good night time diaper. I'd definitely suggest getting a bed mat, either washable or disposable, at least at first 😅.

Have fun crinkling up for bedtime! Hopefully the excitement of it won't keep you awake! 😛

Edited by LittleOtterPup
wording improvement (see edit history)

I've used the Abena Abri-Form M4/L4 before and they're great. One piece of advice if you're male :if you're wetting heavily while in a horizontal position most diapers will leak out the top. You can prevent this by pulling the waistband up as high as possible and pointing 'yourself' downward. If the latter is uncomfortable or won't stay that way, you can also use a booster pad and half-fold it over in the front, so you have an extra barrier as well as extra absorption. Make sure the waist band stil closes over it or it'll actually leak even more.

Edited by Dutchdreamer (see edit history)
3 hours ago, Dutchdreamer said:

I've used the Abena Abri-Form M4/L4 before and they're great. One piece of advice if you're male :if you're wetting heavily while in a horizontal position most diapers will leak out the top. You can prevent this by pulling the waistband up as high as possible and pointing 'yourself' downward. If the latter is uncomfortable or won't stay that way, you can also use a booster pad and half-fold it over in the front, so you have an extra barrier as well as extra absorption. Make sure the waist band stil closes over it or it'll actually leak even more.

Also helps to tuck the front coversheet above padding back down under the padding forming a barrier to leakage.

• 4 weeks later...

It may depend how you sleep - back, front or side or a mix - but there's a bit of a code in the names, so ...Maxi (or ...Super) generally means bigger capacity at the expense of being bulkier, and ...Night means more absorptive material at the back.  Other than that most vendors quote the capacity, which is only theoretical as it assumes perfect soaking without excess anywhere that would leak, but does at least give a relative measure.  For overnight use you'd probably want 3,000ml or more which will only be half used, but there's no harm in erring on the large size for nappies that aren't going to be worn under clothes in public.  Some sellers will supply samples for the cost of the postage if you don't want to commit to a whole pack.