Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Captain L Sprite Edits

• 2 months later...

Back at it with another one. This time, I did two things that would have made more sense to start with:

1. Using a small, 8-bit sprite
  2. Mega Man

In order to stay true to the NES aesthetic (even though the basis for this sprite is actually from Mega Man 9), I wanted to limit myself to the original palette (sadly, no official sprites of Pallette, from Mega Man X8). However, somewhat famously, the NES global palette lacked good options for yellow (unless you're a weirdo that thinks the PlayChoice-10 is the correct RGB palette for NES games), so even if I went outside Roll's sprites, I would have little to work with. So, I broke the rules there. It wasn't too bad, just two added colors for the pee stream and puddle, and one for her wet dress. I did keep true to the NES and did not use transparency.

Roll.gif.05bd55a72237f89605943819c4bc669a.gif

Actually, I wouldn't recommend NES sprites for this. They're too small, there's so little room to work. Plus, you know, I gotta be honest: Roll is cute, classic White Mage is cute, but the 8-bit era was really before "cute girls" were established in video games.

• 1 month later...

Happy 30th, Sonic the Hedgehog! It was on June 23rd, actually, but these things take time. I was actually planning to make another one of these starting on the 23rd without reason, but as I listened to Sega's Sonic 30th Anniversary Symphony, I was inspired (which, if you haven't listened to, you should. Sonic music is stirring and this concert did it justice.) The problem was, as she debuted in 2005, when 3D visuals had taken full hold across all platforms, Blaze the Cat sprites are in short supply. Unless there's some specific Japan-only mobile game I don't know about, I think her only sprites are from the ending of Sonic Rush. So, I had to go with the second-best choice, thanks to the best friend of Newgrounds and web comic artists of the mid-2000's: Sonic Battle.

I wanted to include Cheese hovering beside her, reacting, but I should have accounted for that from the beginning. There's so many different frame times, with no clean lowest common denominator, it would have required a stunning number of duplicate frames to give him smooth motion. So, it's a one-rabbit affair.

Cream.gif.d463a6712d05bef99eafb7f552849712.gif

• 1 month later...

Both returning to the GBA, and retuning to Mega Man, with one of the most unappreciated characters of the franchise: Neige, from Mega Man Zero 4. There's precious little art of her out there already. Leading up to Zero/ZX Legacy Collection's release, Capcom held a poll for the most popular characters from both series, and Neige ranked lower than one-off characters and joke responses. Even when I wrote a Mega Man Zero story, I as well gave her the cold shoulder and turned to Ciel instead. Well, no more shall she be shunned.

On the artistic side, this is my first time not prefacing the animation with desperation, it's a more casual pee break. I also used less in-between frames than I would, primarily on her arms as they move to the front of her pants, to better match the limited animation from the game, where none of Neige's animations last longer than four frames. About the only thing that feels lacking is the depiction of "undone belt, pant flaps open", there's really not many pixels to work in, but I'm sure it could have been done better.

Well, it is what is is, and this is it. Given that Neige's caravan has set up in Area Zero with little more than tents for their housing, and with this being the only oasis of plant life left in the world, I'm sure Neige takes good care of those plants through "watering".

Neige.gif.98d938c42def0f7cf8b614a94f7f294d.gif

• 2 months later...

Happy Halloween, everybody. I had absolutely no intention of celebrating it in Aseprite, but I did stream a full playthrough of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood last night (two and a half hours, all normal and alternate stages, all maidens rescued, 100% completion, both Richter and Maria's endings). And when I play Rondo of Blood, I'm here to have a good time, I play as Maria as much as I can. And it's something I've noticed before, but Maria's idle animation has her resting her hands atop the skirt of her dress, in quite the convenient placement. A little bit of work with that pose was all I needed, but as I went over the sprite sheet, I saw that one of her attack poses had her hunched forward, hands still clasped in the same place. I swear, all I had to do was shift around parts that already existed on the sprites. I'm actually pretty proud with how the second half looks.

533015843_MariaRenard.gif.6ac4a5885f27bd6597640785905e3d9f.gif

• 3 months later...

So I've been enjoying The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap lately. If you haven't played it, get it on the Wii U soon. Anyway, one of the small good deeds Link can do around Hyrule in the game is help out Malon, who has been locked out of Lon Lon Ranch. I don't have the means to get into the ranch to unlock it from the inside just yet (only just got the Fire Element and infused the Picori Blade), so she'll probably be stuck outside for a while. Hopefully I can assist her before too long, because being unable to get inside for too long can have dire consequences for a girl.

Malon.gif.9670c7adaa0e06f6afc7acfd41eff6c3.gif

Bit of extra work on this one. The Malon sprites were easy to get, but the specific sprites for the Kinstone thought bubble was not included in any of the sheets on Spriter's Resource. So, in order to get the high-quality sprites, I needed to play the game on an emulator up to the introduction to the Kinstone Fusion system, which is after the first dungeon, and take frame-by-frame screenshots.

6 hours ago, Wet Twink said:

These look great @Captain L! Are you planning on making a game with some of these? DM me if you ever want help on a larger project, I have both art and programming experience.

In a sense, my reason for experimenting with Aseprite was practice for use in some future game, though it's unrelated to anything here, and I've only worked with manipulation and no from-scratch creation. That would have to come later.

Edited by Captain L (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, Captain L said:

Both returning to the GBA, and retuning to Mega Man, with one of the most unappreciated characters of the franchise: Neige, from Mega Man Zero 4. There's precious little art of her out there already. Leading up to Zero/ZX Legacy Collection's release, Capcom held a poll for the most popular characters from both series, and Neige ranked lower than one-off characters and joke responses. Even when I wrote a Mega Man Zero story, I as well gave her the cold shoulder and turned to Ciel instead. Well, no more shall she be shunned.

On the artistic side, this is my first time not prefacing the animation with desperation, it's a more casual pee break. I also used less in-between frames than I would, primarily on her arms as they move to the front of her pants, to better match the limited animation from the game, where none of Neige's animations last longer than four frames. About the only thing that feels lacking is the depiction of "undone belt, pant flaps open", there's really not many pixels to work in, but I'm sure it could have been done better.

Well, it is what is is, and this is it. Given that Neige's caravan has set up in Area Zero with little more than tents for their housing, and with this being the only oasis of plant life left in the world, I'm sure Neige takes good care of those plants through "watering".

Neige.gif.98d938c42def0f7cf8b614a94f7f294d.gif

Love this one

• 1 month later...

What, I was playing another Nintendo-developed GBA game? Well, I guess that means it's time to make another animation. Rosalina is still the best girl of the Mario franchise, but it's a shame they didn't get much to do, because the Jellyfish Sisters are right up there. Even by Mario & Luigi standards, they really have very little to do, literally not being present except for the one scene where they're needed. But they're helpful and playful when they do appear, and a few errant pixels of shading (ones suspiciously absent from the 3DS remake) confirm they have big boobs and bubble butts. So wouldn't it be nice if these aquatic women had too much water of their own?

I would have expected one to be taller than the other, matching Mario and Luigi, but it turns out the only difference in the sprite between the two is the color of their dress. It would have been possible to just make the edit of one, recolor the dress, and copy. But they've each got a full set of poses and animations, might as well use them.

1670153658_JellyfishSisters.gif.723a92ec644064afa48f14c4fac4d0d9.gif

Be sure to put on the matching music.

Even though writing has always been my forte, it looks like the art stuff finds a bigger audience. This thread gets a lot more attention and votes than anything I’ve written, and now that I’ve moved it all onto Pixiv, it’s found a new audience. I’ve seen a few familiar names in likes and followers, but there’s one I would have never expected to follow me: Hanomidori. The Hanomidori. Seems to be going through a pixel art phase right now.

Edited by Captain L (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 9:14 AM, Kay1997 said:

Hi

Can you do a sprite edit of Felicia from Darkstalkers?

She is holding her crotch and doing the potty dance to not have a accident.

She also wants to show her butt when she doing the potty dance.

Sorry, but fighting game sprites are off the table, because they're so much larger, more animated, and more detailed. Aside from maybe Neo Geo Pocket Color games.

(also, Hsien-Ko is better than Felicia anyway)

• 6 months later...

My first time doing a request, from @Grenn34. I wouldn't normally think anything of requests, but you say Mega Man, I'm in. So today, we have Fairy Leviathan of the Four Guardians, doing her thing in her natural habitat.

Leviathan.gif.2559598dcac8d9ffd29cbe354f300f83.gif

Went through some serious hell getting this exported. Because she's underwater (which I wish I could have shown clearer, I don't know how to add a background in Aseprite, and I couldn't animate her smoothly bobbing in place), her pee would naturally be a translucent cloud, an effect I achieved by having the cloud layer have lower opacity. Yes, every frame of it fading away was a separate layer. Anyway, turns out Aseprite can't export gifs with layers, which normally isn't an issue, but it flattened the cloud layers and removed their opacity adjustments. No other formats would help. From all the trial and error, it seemed like my best bet was exporting each frame as a PNG, uploading that to Pixiv, and manually adjusting each frame's duration (a total of 103 frames). But even that didn't look right while previewing, the transparency just wasn't coming through right. That was when I realized it was correct, but Windows Photos has a dark background, so the cloud looked dirtier than it should have. And it hit me then: just add a white background. That removes any layer issues because it has something to blend into, and because of the transparency, it would look wrong on anything other than a light-colored background anyway.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

He's probably just busy with other things, or just not in the mood for doing sprite work, not to mention bro.... "Do my Request now?" he's not your sweatshop worker man, it is entirely up to him on whether or not to do your requests, this isn't Captain L's Request Form it's Captain L's SPRITE edits. He'll update this when he's done a sprite edit he wishes to show, and only then, he is by no means OBLIGATED to do YOUR request bro.