Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Urine smell after laundry?

I have a bit of an issue: I like wetting my pants every now and then. (yes, yes, join the club..) Afterwards I soak them in water ASAP, then put them in the laundry with detergent. When they come out of the dryer, I don't smell urine anymore. But here's the thing: my sense of smell is pretty weak and there have been instances where other people smelled something I didn't. (nothing urine related yet AFAIK)  So I'm turning to those of you with fully functional olfactory organs for advice: are you (sometimes) still able to smell the urine after you've washed your clothes? I'd hate to walk around smelling of pee without realizing it.

Edited by Dutchdreamer (see edit history)

Sometimes.  Here are some things I do to mitigate:

• Drink more water.  This makes my pee more dilute.  It has the bonus feature of making me pee more 😉
  • If your washer has a "rinse and spin" cycle on it, run your pee-soaked clothes through that before running them in a regular load.  This will flush out any excess pee.
  • Run your clothes in a regular cycle, but without softener, and substitute enzymatic pet-stain remover for the detergent.  Then run them again in a regular cycle.
  • When running your clothes in a regular cycle, substitute vinegar for softener.  This will also remove any excess soap, the result of which will be to . . . soften your clothes!
11 minutes ago, SoggyShorts said:

Sometimes.  Here are some things I do to mitigate:

• Drink more water.  This makes my pee more dilute.  It has the bonus feature of making me pee more 😉
  • If your washer has a "rinse and spin" cycle on it, run your pee-soaked clothes through that before running them in a regular load.  This will flush out any excess pee.
  • Run your clothes in a regular cycle, but without softener, and substitute enzymatic pet-stain remover for the detergent.  Then run them again in a regular cycle.
  • When running your clothes in a regular cycle, substitute vinegar for softener.  This will also remove any excess soap, the result of which will be to . . . soften your clothes!

Thanks for the tips. I'm using the first one already. Might use some of the others too, just to be safe. Annoyingly I just can't tell when it's necessary.

I've taken my morning pee in my wetting underwear or pajama shorts often (meaning the pee will smell more), and washed them immediately after. My first big re-wetting even had my wetting underwear smell really funny, and I didn't even rinse them that time like I usually do. My pajama shorts were also starting to smell a lot on my last re-wetting.

All that said, washing it in my washing machine has always gotten the smell out.

In addition, you might consider what you ate/drank before your wetting.  Some alcoholic beverages like beer might it smell a bit like that, or asparagus will obviously make your pee smell like that, and I know that when my girlfriend and I would have our fun, if she drank a lot of liquids and included coffee, I could taste that in her and that was always nice, but I imagine that might influence her smells as well.

Also, to point out the obvious, but if you are wetting and doing your laundry, but not bathing and cleaning affected areas, that could also be part of it.  I'm not saying you didn't, but if you wet mid day and washed your clothes, but for whatever reason didn't bathe, or wash adequately, it could be responsible.  If you are hairy or if you are overweight, it could also make cleaning more difficult.

2 hours ago, ilikeadultvids said:

Also, to point out the obvious, but if you are wetting and doing your laundry, but not bathing and cleaning affected areas, that could also be part of it.  (..) If you are hairy or if you are overweight, it could also make cleaning more difficult.

My question was purely about the clothes, but yes, I always wash myself too, just to get that thought out of the way. Not overweight or hairy, so that's not an issue. I've never had any comments by the way. Just a little paranoid that someone might smell something and be too polite to say it.

I think I have encountered this phenomena. Certain pairs of my underpants seem very hard to get free of pee-smell, although actually the smell seems to be changed - and is no-longer pleasant. My feeling is that maybe some component of the urine - probably urea - binds to certain fabrics and undergoes some sort of chemical change.

I think the best answer is to look at the label to see which fabrics do this and which wash clean. then avoid the awkward ones.

Alternatively, I think if you can dry your clothes in the open air that may remove the smell.

Edited by David_E (see edit history)

Pee only stinks really bad if you let it sit in a warm place for a while where it breaks down into ammonia (or if you've eaten asparagus, lol). Immediate soaking in water and then detergent washing afterwards is the right course of action, and you can rest assured that nothing is going to have a detectable smell. Maybe your neighbor's dog could tell if they happen to sniff your crotch. 

I have had one set of underwear that I had wet, then stuffed into a sealed plastic bag (because it was a spur-of-the-moment thing and I wasn't in my house) and accidentally forgot about for a day or two. Those things were RANK after I found them again, and even after washing had a bit of musty smell. Ended up turning them into a garage rag.

Honestly I have had this issue after peeing myself. Like I have my regular dirty laundry and then I have my pee dirty laundry that I keep separate because I do have an issue with the residual smell of urine on my clothes. Sometimes even after I've done a rinse and spin cycle. What I like to normally do is hop in the shower real quick with the wet clothing I wore, and then throw them into the washer with all the rest of the pee laundry, run the rinse and spin cycle, then pop two pods for regular cycle with the heavy dirt setting on, and add fabric softener. that really takes care of it. But even sometimes after that, it helps when I pop the clothes into the dryer fresh after the washer and use two dryer sheets because I love fabric softener an unhealthy amount lol 😂

On 1/10/2021 at 5:43 PM, Dutchdreamer said:

I have a bit of an issue: I like wetting my pants every now and then. (yes, yes, join the club..) Afterwards I soak them in water ASAP, then put them in the laundry with detergent. When they come out of the dryer, I don't smell urine anymore. But here's the thing: my sense of smell is pretty weak and there have been instances where other people smelled something I didn't. (nothing urine related yet AFAIK)  So I'm turning to those of you with fully functional olfactory organs for advice: are you (sometimes) still able to smell the urine after you've washed your clothes? I'd hate to walk around smelling of pee without realizing it.

Usually to prevent smell and stains on my clothes I just drink lots of water during the day and pee regularly (I'll sometimes hold until I almost can't hold it just to enjoy it better and get my bladder more sensitive) and once I start seeing it mostly clear and with less smell then I start the official hold for my wetting.

I had the problem with pee smell after washing only once and it was because I made the error of letting my pee clothes dry overnight (after a smelly pee) and the ammonia scent got really strong. Since then I rinse the pee with fresh water and sometimes detergent/shampoo immediately. That, combined with the clear pee technique (lol sounds fancy) has gotten rid of the issue.