Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Does/How Does Your Bladder Dictate Your Activities?

This is a topic that was suggested to me by somebody that I chat with in private who noticed that there are some women who have small bladders and yet they will drink a lot and go out and take their chances with becoming desperate. And yet there are other women who are more careful and plan their day around bathroom access and things of that nature.

So my question here for everyone is  how does your bladder dictate your activities if at all? Does having a small bladder make you restrict liquid intake or make you more cautious about bathroom access, or does having a big bladder make you completely oblivious to any problems like that that might arise and perhaps get you into trouble.

I can say that for my part I am normally near a bathroom and I always stay well hydrated and everything. When I am out I always make sure to know exactly where the bathrooms are when I arrive at a place and know when I will have access to a bathroom. But the most part it's not an issue, although I go to the bathroom frequently I am usually not wanting for a bathroom.

The only exception was during my summer job when I had to wait 6 1/2 hours without a bathroom, during which time I made sure to carefully limit my intake of liquids and tried to minimize my movements to a bare minimum. That was one situation where my bladder and the fullness thereof definitely dictated how my day went and it was quite a harsh new reality! I went from being home all the time having the bathroom inches away to suddenly having to plan my day around the fact that my bladder was getting consistently fuller with each passing hour. It was certainly eye-opening and made me realize the importance of taking into consideration things like liquid intake and bathroom access, because when you are without it you have to be much more careful!

But normally my bladder size has little impact on my day-to-day life. And going along with the other topic that I started  you about does bathroom access affect your patronage I would say that for the most part despite the fact that I pee often I probably wouldn't boycott a place simply because it has bad bathroom access, if all other things were equal.

But I know that there are definitely some people who have small bladders and you are out and about and they have to really take things into consideration, such as access to a bathroom and how much liquid they will take. And also I think that every woman, regardless of bladder size, when she has to go to the bathroom at a crowded place has to take into account the fact that there might be a very long line, so you had better not wait until the last moment! You do so at your own peril! Men of any bladder size usually don't have such concerns.

On some level I believe I have a small bladder (I like to joke that it is pee-sized) but maybe it isn't so small; maybe I just drink a lot of fluids.  The sizes of my bed puddles might attest to that.

On long drives, I kind of make a note of when the opportunities are to stop, unless I've decided that it's going to be a wet drive, in which case I just piss in my pants and clean it up later.

At work, I can get up and use the washroom as much as I need.

Yes because I work on the move and used to just run into stores and malls between customers to pee, but with COVID that's too complicated now.  Each time I miss a pee break I have to add at least another 2.5 hours so it can be stressful and I end up working less efficiently by allowing time to go home where I never would have done before.  So before COVID I just knew where I would go without much time loss and now COVID and my bladder affect everything very much.  Would that I were like some people we know of Jill where a mere twelve hours at work wouldn't even need a pee break, but I wouldn't be able to function even if I didn't piss myself. 

Sometimes it gets a bit tricky. If I'm having a good all-day session, I'll wet my pants, then I have to wait for them to dry before going outside where other people can see me. My black shorts aren't very black any more- say a dark grey, and wetness shows. I wait until the shorts are dry, then stand up to go outside and do some work, and my bladder tells me I have to wet my pants again. Often it doesn't bother telling me, it just does it. The result is that I spend all day inside and the outside work doesn't get done. Not that I really mind. If I did, I wouldn't drink so much.

I wonder if the answer is different between men and women where only the latter is mroe concerned when going on adventures because of dity toilet or lack of toilet. However, at the same time if its urban area where toilets are aplently I feel like men have. a societal pressure to not pee dance or say they are desperate to pee and to just hold it in without making a fuss or dance over it. As a result, I feel that as a guy in urban area hanging out with people i try and limit my liquid intake to not be that one person who needs to go as a guy

7 hours ago, Angusburger said:

I wonder if the answer is different between men and women where only the latter is mroe concerned when going on adventures because of dity toilet or lack of toilet. However, at the same time if its urban area where toilets are aplently I feel like men have. a societal pressure to not pee dance or say they are desperate to pee and to just hold it in without making a fuss or dance over it. As a result, I feel that as a guy in urban area hanging out with people i try and limit my liquid intake to not be that one person who needs to go as a guy

I agree that there is societal pressure for men to hide their need to pee.  However, young men are often not as prudent as Angusburger.  They sometimes drink quite a lot without thinking about where and when they can let it out.  

Even if guys sometimes look at other guys as weak if they go to the bathroom too often I still think that overwhelmingly the societal pressure is more on women to hold it, whereas for men is expected that men are just going to pee, toilet or no toilet. Men can still pee and relieve themselves discreetly where a woman can't really do so without being really obvious and exposing herself, and women are still expected to be considered more modest.

So I do think that when it comes to permissiveness in regards to peeing society is still far more permissive of men going to the bathroom in general. A no bathroom situation is a lot more difficult for women just on the whole, and I can speak from quite a bit of experience on that :P.

Although as a woman who grew up with mostly male friends and family members I can honestly agree that there is sort of more judgment from men in regards to going to the bathroom. When you are the only girl you don't want to be the one holding everybody up just because you need a bathroom, or you don't want to be that person who is always having to go to the bathroom (little girl bladder) but I always kind of was that person so I kind of know how it feels. I think that guys pressure women to hold it as well, especially if it would mean having to wait for her in a situation like that.

I would also add that although toilet humor sends to be more of a guy thing I think that when it comes down to it women have to be more bathroom conscious in general, more on the lookout for bathrooms and plan more around bathroom availability. Bathrooms just affect women in more ways than men in general, from needing it for more purposes and more often, too often having to wait for it or have to search for one. When you have to pee it's just a lot easier to be a guy in any situation.

I know that from a young age I always had bathrooms on the mind LOL. A lot of the women in my family thought that it was inappropriate and everything but I always thought, as a woman you should be thinking more about the bathroom than guys do for purely practical reasons if nothing else.

It doesn't really dictate my activities.  I find that I let go in the shower.  Heh, I even sometimes pee on my shaving mirror since it is basically a water ammonia solution, it seems to clean it off.

Beyond that, I would say that I have a lot of control over my bladder and I find that more often, I don't really feel a need to go unless I'm going number two, and I'm not really as much into messing, so I never really get desperate to pee.  I don't really like to sit with tight pants, so that doesn't really help me get desperate.  I can easily drink a couple of liters of water without feeling too desperate.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind some advice to encourage me to get desperate to wet without worry about messing.

I have often read somewhere that people make better decisions when they have a full bladder and that might be true. One thing I think of when my bladder is very full and when I can't get to a toilet is that makes me much more compliant than non-confrontational, even compared to usual, and more focused. When your bladder is full you don't want to make trouble so I think that you are more polite and more deferential to others. And I think that that to some degree is why at my job I tend to be more smiling and polite even though my bladder is ready to explode. When you have a fullness in the bladder it makes you very meek because you're focused on keeping it in, so you don't want to start trouble, so you try to be as pleasant as possible and trying not to get yourself into trouble.

As I have said in a couple of other threads a full bladder puts you in sort of a submissive position because your bladder is sort of dragging you down, compared to a person who has an empty bladder who is much more mobile and able to focus on other things. I feel that having a full bladder always puts you in a disadvantage in that regard, and that it does sort of create a power dynamic on some subtle level between the person who has an empty bladder and the person who has a full one.

To illustrate a point let's say you have two people. Let's say you have one person who is breezy and loose and really comfortable and in control. Let's say they are having an argument with another person who is standing there with her legs crossed shifting from feet to feet looking like she wants to get out of there because she has to go to the bathroom, and maybe has her lip trembling like she is going out of her mind. Who would you say is in control in that situation, who would you say was in the advantage, which person would you prefer to be in that situation?!

I'm not sure if I have a small bladder or an overactive one, but I do have to plan things around it. I typically don't drink anything for at least an hour before I leave, and I'm very careful about how much I drink when I'm out. With COVID, I don't want to use public restrooms at all, so I always keep it in mind. I even get up earlier than I'd like so I can have my coffee in the morning without being desperate at work.

Omg this is actually really bad, but I've been avoiding going to the doctor during the pandemic mostly because of this. I have really awful anxiety when it comes to doctor's appointments and long wait times, and anxiety severely weakens my bladder. And with COVID, I don't want to use public restrooms at all, especially not ones in doctor's offices. Most places here gave a 2+ hour wait even with an appointment, and I just can't wait that long with the anxiety, especially if you count the commute.

I work as a Lyft driver (freelance rideshare work, pretty much the same thing as Uber). The trip length people ask for can vary pretty wildly. Sometimes they're going someplace just down the road, other times the customer needs me to take them somewhere two or three cities away. Longer rides earn me more cash, so I make it a point to take a pee break at the first signs of an urge. That way I'm always prepared for whatever trip I might get assigned.

Makes me wonder what it's like for long-distance truckers.

Usually my Bladder doesn't affect anything in my day to day life and if necessary I can hold for a day. If it is really hot, I'm more concerned about getting enough fluid intake for the day. I lose a lot of water through sweating I guess and my Job can get a bit labor intensive.

Oh and as far as I know employers have to provide some form of toilet access (and break time). At least in my Country there are laws for that. Sure it depends on your workplace but I mean the general case.

So today I can't really complain on that front.

But as a kid and until late in my teen years I really had problems with my bladder. If I had to go outside or to school, I avoid drinking much. 

As a result I can't stand people or workplaces that try to restrict access to bathrooms.

I tend to be very careful with liquid consumption, because I’m often in situations that don’t have free bathroom access.

For example, giving a 3-hour lecture, applying a 4-hour exam or playing through a 3-hour concert, sitting through 4-5 hours of meetings on Mondays, etc.

There is absolutely no way to stop in the middle of those activities and excuse oneself to the restroom (maybe in a lecture would be ok to leave the class for some minutes).

So, if I know I’ll be in a situation like that, I don’t drink anything before. I know for sure, that if I drink approx a liter of water or more, there’s absolutely no way I can hold through any restricted situation. I just wouldn’t dare it.

My holds are usually at home in a safe environment, where I don’t hold in front of other people. I know it’s a controlled situation, but I don’t dare to take risks at work or in public.

I regularly have to take in the consideration what I do due to my weak and small bladder, if I want to avoid possibility of wetting accident. Basically I divide those activities to 2 groups, How long I can go without a bathroom and if the activity is one of those, where I just can't hold it and pee myself no matter how full my bladder is. Rides on rollercoasters tend to make me pee myself, even if I just went to a bathroom before boarding the ride. It's just a matter how much I pee, not if I will pee myself. In best case scenario I'll come of it just with a wet crotch from spurting. When I was younger, friends bought me a ride in a acrobatic airplane. That was a disaster too.

"One of the most interesting things I've read in a while.  I wonder if there are any studies done of this and how much this type of factor might play into overall behavior and gender stereotypes."

I have never heard of any studies done on how a full bladder can make you more submissive or dominant or something along those lines, but it's something that I have thought about a real real lot in regards to this. To those who say there isn't a power dynamic operating consider a situation where all the men can just relieve themselves and the women are expected to continue holding because they can't do so as easily. If you have a situation where a bunch of men can relieve themselves and the women can't that definitely puts the men in a powerful position, specifically if you are sadistic :P.

I think that this dynamic to some degree works on society at large where men are more encouraged to just relieve themselves or to attend to their needs whereas women are taught to suppress their needs and to be more stoic about it. How much it plays into gender role stereotypes I don't know.

However on a personal level I have to admit that I feel in a situation like that I would be personally outraged but having been in that situation regularly now I was shocked to find myself just being fully complacent to it. I was regular in a situation where my male coworkers were peeing all over the place and I would just sit there continuing to hold it and smiling politely. So yes I do feel that to some degree women are conditioned to just accept this power dynamic, not just in regards to bathrooms, but in lots of other things as well, but my focus has always been on the bathroom situation!