Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Strange manufacturing defect

I found this weird manufacturing fail in an Assurance walmart tabbed diaper.

IMG_20201203_135845.thumb.jpg.9cd682a28168597724ac378c7019ffbc.jpg

I was just about getting ready to put it on, and I was tired enough that night that I almost missed this little red square in it. It was embedded underneath the padding's top woven layer, so it fell in at some point during the layering process and wasn't sitting there during packing or anything.

IMG_20201203_135849.thumb.jpg.14394c737c8b8f1ad7ec8b5c849ea31a.jpg

I pulled it apart and it's some kind of red vinyl sticker. The two pieces were stuck together and had a white backing on the outside that let me pull to reveal adhesive.

IMG_20201203_135931.thumb.jpg.72c596e804f5ada0de2ac2b580b60f5d.jpg

Stuff like this always fascinates me, because no material like this is used anywhere in the packaging or diapers themselves, so I just wonder the sequence of events that lead to this strange little piece of foreign material ending up inside the absorbent layer. (I'm in school for manufacturing engineering so setting up processes and assembly lines is kind of my thing, and I love seeing how they get put together lol)

How strange. I got one pack of Rearz a while back that had like extra bits attached to the diapers, like the plastic backing that should have been cut away to make the diaper shape was cut (mostly but) but still attached in part. I kept it for a while and was like "I can craft with this" but yeah.. not really.

What a strange little defect. Did you send it back or send pictures to the manufacturer?

7 hours ago, rachelkirwan said:

How strange. I got one pack of Rearz a while back that had like extra bits attached to the diapers, like the plastic backing that should have been cut away to make the diaper shape was cut (mostly but) but still attached in part. I kept it for a while and was like "I can craft with this" but yeah.. not really.

What a strange little defect. Did you send it back or send pictures to the manufacturer?

I haven't done anything with it yet (although I still have that package and the diaper itself under my bed). At like 30 cents a unit it's not worth my time to send anything back for only one problem, although maybe the manufacturer would like to know there was a flaw in their assembly line somewhere. Only problem being that Walmart probably sources their stuff from lowest-bidder-of-the-hour, and corporate probably doesn't care themselves about a one-off flaw in a single unit of a single package.

Now, if there were a major issue with ALL of them, yeah I'd send it back. But none of the other ones in the package so far have any defects, so I think it may have just been a random piece of garbage that got blown in. Curious and worth sharing, but nothing to really care about lol. Stuff happens, can't have a 100% success rate in any factory.