Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female A Marked Need (Dragon: Marked for Death)

The Central Kingdom of Medius, ruled by the Divine King Medius, home to a rich city of wealthy socialites surrounding the royal castle. And also home to the slums beneath, far more populated and far dirtier, every road and building covered in filth and grime. In this impoverished ghetto, where no one asked questions, people of all types and trades from across the land of Remlia gathered, in search of their next gold pieces, however they’d earn them. It was a gathering of criminals, a hive of scoundrels, the gang for every walk of shady life. But, for most here, it was all they had. For better and worse, it was home.

And the second home for all crooked characters is always the bar, whether to drown their sorrows, or to prop up false confidence for a future victory, either in the back alleys tonight, or out on the field tomorrow. All those who could most flatteringly be called self-proclaimed adventurers and soldiers filled the small tavern, filling their bellies with alcohol, growing louder and rowdier with every sip. The place was certainly alive. And that was without considering the ruckus caused by the pub’s second function: a central hub for those who deemed themselves capable fighters to take requests.

It was on this business that brought a young woman, garbed in a short, short-sleeved black robe and black-and-green tabard, with white hair bound in five long, thick braids, into this establishment. As she leaned against a wall, slowly picking away at a mug of her own, she watched as several of the other patrons watched her with an animalistic gaze, it seemed like half the rough types in the bar couldn’t keep their eyes off. This wouldn’t be so unexpected, a beautiful lady alone in a questionable place attracting attention, but her observers studied her with scornful, hateful eyes. Even among a pack of miscreants like those in the slums, she somehow managed to be judged.

They were right to be suspicious, for this woman was not a normal human. She could never pass as such, not with two green horns jutting from above her ears, and twin heads of the Astral Dragon Atruum extending from her back designating her as a Dragonblood, a reviled race among the populace of Remlia, who instead worshiped the Celestial, Primatus. And she was the Dragonblood Oracle, one from the distant past, sent forward to prevent a terrible calamity; one with her successor, Amica, at the center. Seeing as the Dragonblood Clan had already been massacred by the time she arrived, the fear that she had already failed kept residence in her mind.

latest?cb=20200426052329

Yet, despite the looks she received everywhere she traveled within Remlia, the Oracle had a mission: an audience with the Divine King. That was the only way she would learn the reason for the genocide of the Dragonblood. To that end, she began taking as many requests as she could get her hands on, building a reputation until the royal family could no longer ignore her. That was why she was here today, with a lead on a new request. She just needed to wait for something before she could go out and fulfill it.

Until then, her eyelids fell and her head drooped, and she began to daydream of the moment her life was forever changed, of when her destiny was laid before her: the moment she received her Dragon Scar.

---------------

“Child of Our own blood, you stand before Us,” spoke a deep, booming voice, echoing throughout every wall of these caverns. Despite coming into the Dragon’s Den, knowing what awaited her, the young Oracle still inched back. “We are the Astral Dragon, Atruum. Thou seeketh a contract with Us, dost thou not? Mine power has five elements, for thine abilities will change in accordance with thine element. Now, present Us with thine Dragonite.”

The Oracle held a small stone to the ceiling, a rare element known as Dragonite. Yet, despite the power circulating in the air, she felt nothing from the offering. That is, until she naturally blinked. When her eyes opened once again, the ore chunk had vanished, and the roaring voice began anew. “Thine contract is accepted. Which element shalt thou accept?”

Which element shall the Oracle take?

1. Fire. The Oracle shall be hot-tempered, impulsive, and proud.
  2. Ice. The Oracle shall be cold-hearted, quiet, and reserved.
  3. Wind. The Oracle shall be air-headed, clumsy, and open.
  4. Lightning. The Oracle shall be quick-witted, hasty, and eager.
  5. Poison. The Oracle shall be sharp-tongued, rude, and dismissive.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stubborn though they may be, time was not on their side, and both Empress and Oracle full well knew this fact. This was neither the time nor place to get into a big argument, lest the sewers become fl

"The group of Dragonblood who live hidden away here in Marlayus have suddenly started a rebellion. The lord of Muramasa Castle is leading them, and he's taken the princess of Marlayus hostage. They de

And things would get worse, if the trickle running down her thigh was any indication. Miya wasn't even sure if that was new, or if it had been sticking to her thigh for some time. She'd believe the la

44 minutes ago, tokyuu said:

Fire, naturally, because burning enemies makes her swords do more damage!

Ah, someone familiar with the game mechanics. However, I find that the fire debuff is better left to being a natural property of the weapon. At least, that's how my Empress was built near the end, with a fire short sword that applied a debuff with its million stabs, and an ice contract for that ultra-powerful charge shot.

"Don't be starting that shit again!" A shout from somewhere in the bar, between two of the inebriated adventurers, awoke Oracle from her reminiscing.

Yet, despite being alert now, the Dragonblood found nothing worth being mentally present for. Once again, for what felt like the hundredth time since she had entered the building, she panned her gaze from wall to wall. There was no purpose in doing so, just something to pass the time, she knew exactly where what she waited for laid. "How long does it take in there? Just leave me waiting out here forever, why not," she muttered under her breath, venom dripping from her every syllable.

Finally, a narrow door on a far side of the tavern opened, one adorned with a crudely-carved symbol of an exaggerated female figure, denoting the room behind it as the women's restroom. Without even confirming who it was that exited, Oracle began to lash out. "Finally! You like making me wait around?"

Luckily, Oracle didn't look stupid today, because it was exactly who she was waiting for. From within the water closet walked a woman who appeared only a few years older than Oracle, with the same shade of white hair, just much shorter. Such was a defining mark of the Dragonblood. However, it was far from her most obvious tell, given that literally nobody who wasn't blind could miss the Dragon Scar that had consumed her right arm, with Atruum's head replacing her hand. It was just as eye-catching as her very minimal outfit, with a black top that only just covered what it needed to, a black miniskirt that only extended as long as it needed to, and thigh-high black boots that drew attention to her leggy build. She was the daughter of the former Dragonblood chief, the Empress.

latest?cb=20191021073928

And following directly behind her was a much shorter Dragonblood, though she had always dodged the question when asked about her age. Her white hair appeared long, as long as Oracle's, but it shifted to a light pink halfway down, becoming tendrils by the end. Their color matched what appeared to be a large hat, if it didn't have Atruum's gaping maw. She wore a black dress with a wide skirt, and tall striped socks. She was the Dragonblood master of magic, the Witch.

latest?cb=20191021074231

The three had met shortly after the destruction of their village, and discovered that each had their own reasons for wanting an audience with Divine King Medius. Empress wanted to confront the king about the abduction of her friend, the current Dragonblood Oracle, Amica. Witch had said something about a similar fondness for Amica, but had another agenda that she was keeping under wraps. Oracle had heard her murmur the name "Litus" in her sleep, the name of a kingdom destroyed long before her own birth. Because their goals aligned, and because Dragonblood girls need to stick together, they formed an alliance. Though, being around each other at all times, their conflicting personalities had caused friction more than a few times.

Which elements did the Empress and Witch take? (select two)

1. Fire. The Empress or Witch is hot-tempered, impulsive, and proud.
  2. Ice. The Empress or Witch is cold-hearted, quiet, and reserved.
  3. Wind. The Empress or Witch is air-headed, clumsy, and open.
  4. Lightning. The Empress or Witch is quick-witted, hasty, and eager.
22 minutes ago, tokyuu said:

Poison not allowed? Or did you just miss it from the copy & paste?

I vote Ice Empress (or Poison Empress if that's allowed) and Lightning Witch.

Poison isn't there on purpose. I don't want two characters to have the same element/personality.

Seeing as I'll have to do research on how Oracle and Witch play with different contracts to properly portray their abilities (once we get to a quest), I'd like to thank you for picking Empress contracts I'm intimately familiar with.

With Empress, the problem primarily came down to her distant and frigid attitude, either ignoring Oracle’s comments, or responding with snide remarks of her own, under her breath. “It’s really none of your business what took us so long in there.” And Oracle didn’t appreciate being spoken to rudely.

And as for Witch, her problem was the exact opposite: she was too emotional, too brash, too eager. It got on Oracle’s nerves like nothing else. “Yeah, you think we enjoyed waiting in there forever? You better have spent the time coming up with something!”

“I could have scouted twenty quests with how long I was sitting around for you, and done of three of them by myself,” Oracle barked. “Seriously, how long does it take just to leak?”

“Again, it’s none of your damn business,” Empress challenged, looking the other way with a grimace.

Oracle strongly considered arguing much further, getting personal with her insults, but instead chose to not rise to that level of aggression. But that didn’t mean she wasn’t going to be mean. “Such impudence. I see the quality of the Dragonblood royal lineage has deteriorated since my time.”

Regardless of her lack of interest in interpersonal conflict, that was a low blow, and Empress wouldn’t take that sitting down. Ready to speak some choice words that she had been keeping repressed for quite some time, she turned back, marching over to Oracle with fists clenched. One looking could quite easily see her chest heaving, lip quivering and teeth clenched, prepared to fight.

The only reason blows were not dealt was Witch sliding between the two, arms spread at full wingspan to separate her comrades. “You’re really going to do this now? After all of us got our time wasted by the world, you’re insisting on taking even more of it, when we could be doing something important?” She stared daggers into both their eyes, until the fires left Oracle’s and Empress’s glares. Putting her own arms down as the confrontation subsided, Witch pivoted and faced Oracle. “So, what quests did you scrounge up for us?”

There was some part of her that wanted to push Witch aside and go back to her business with Empress, but did eventually turn back to Witch. “Fine. It’s hard to secure quests when everyone’s so prejudiced against Dragonblood, so the best they’ll give us is the really dangerous ones. Be thankful I could even get you those. Any one of these three strike your fancy, or are you too chicken to do something challenging?”

Select a quest. Quest level corresponds to difficulty, which will affect the challenge of the enemies, potentially slowing down the party. Difficulty will also impact the complexity of the location, possibly reducing chances to hide.

• The Frigid Nest (Quest Lv. 5): A cave of monsters rests deep within the inner mazes of the snowy Tarpol Mountains to the north. The Pagnus knights are requesting able combatants to assist in a pincer attack to strike the heart of the monsters' breeding grounds.
  • Unearthed Royalty (Quest Lv. 15): A major discovery has been made in the tombs of the ancient Litus royal family, far in the southern desert. Archeologists are requesting adventurers who won't get lost to brave the old traps and monsters to recover items that would have belonged to the royal family.
  • The Castle Burns (Quest Lv. 25): Muramasa Castle, the home of the divine family of the Eastern Island Nation of Marlayus, has been sieged by a rogue faction of Dragonblood rebels. They are holding Princess Miya hostage as a means to force the divine family to answer to their demands. A fighter is urgently requested to defeat the rebels and safely secure Princess Miya.

"Come on, we can handle something tough," Witch boasted, puffing out her chest without much to show. "Give us the hardest one!"

"In case you forgot, I'm the one that's doing most of the healing," Oracle complained. "And if you're going to be stupid and rush into danger needlessly, I'm going to stop."

"I also don't want to have to carry this team when strong enemies discover you two are made of paper, and suddenly I'm the only one that can properly swing a sword." She could be quiet, but Empress had no shortage of opinions at the expense of her comrades. "Not that either of you are good at just killing monsters to begin with."

Oracle rolled her eyes. "Fine, if you two are going to be total winps about it, we'll do the easiest one." She began tracing her finger across the parchment that detailed all the specifics about the quest. "Guess we're going way up north. I'd say we should prepare with some warmer clothing, but there's no way it could be colder than your heart, Empress."

Witch was already running out the door before Oracle could finish mocking Empress. "Well, come on! Hurry up already, and let's get to the Teleport Glyph!" She didn't even wait for any confirmation that she wouldn't be going alone before running out of the pub, leaving the other two Dragonblood no other choice but to follow behind her.

---------------

The harsh chilling winds of the northern Tarpol Mountains hit the three Dragonblood women as soon as the Teleport Glyph dropped them at their destination, especially on their less-dressed bottom halves. Still, they made it to the meeting spot outlined in the quest before long, and it wasn't hard to find; it was near the teleport point, and they weren't the first ones to arrive. By the time they had showed up, there were already five adventurers listening to the instructions of a Pagnas knight. "There are two entrances to the cave. You will enter near here and advance inward. Soon after, a squad of knights will enter from the other side in pursuit of the enemy."

The big guy at the front, leaving extremely little to the imagination with his attire, confidently chuckled. "A pincer attack, eh? Seems easy enough." With spirit in his step, he led his squad down the snowy path, towards the mountain caves.

The only one who didn't follow the leader was the woman at the back. And, while no one besides the knight seemed properly dressed for this climate, her outfit was quite the extravagant number. A bandanna to cover the top of her long blonde hair and a ruby jacket that she kept open, letting everyone see the black-and-red leotard she wore beneath, with utterly bare legs and a generous cleavage window. Even though she carried a crossbow, each of the Dragonblood questioned her combat ability. "Wait a sec. If you wanna do a pincer attack, we'll need some kinda signal to strike at the right time. Unless you're planning to wait until we're wiped out, and the enemy is weak, so you can take all the glory."

Oracle leaned over towards Empress. "Hm. That girl looks like she's just an easy type, but she's got a sharp mind. Maybe you should pay attention." That's when she looked up and saw Empress, not really paying attention, blankly chewing on a loaf of raspberry bread that she had been carrying in her pocket or something.

"What?!" The big guy at the lead marched over to the knight, holding a fist in his face. "You knights just wanna use us as bait?!"

To his credit, the knight didn't back down. "We don't need weaklings who cannot defend themselves. Feel free to forfeit the reward and go home."

Upon seeing that his threats were doing no good, the big one backed off. "This is bullshit! Let's get outta here, Yulutury!" The four adventurers marched off in a huff.

That left only the woman, who must have been Yulutury, and even she didn't seem to be sticking around long. "You're all sticking around, eh? You must have a death wish. Don't let those bastards get you." Flicking her hair aside in an unnecessarily gaudy fashion, she strutted off with her team.

And the entire time, Oracle watched her with a contemptuous side-eye and a scowl. "I'll never understand how some women can be so...flashy."

"Quite a few cowards, hm?" With no one else left to fulfill his request, the knight approached the Dragonbloods. "Well? If you're taking the job, hurry up and get started."

Witch did not have to be told twice. "A couple monsters aren't going to stretch my skills, but I'll take them out just the same!" Hovering in the air with her magic, she took off to the foot of the mountain. Grumbling at being left behind once again, Oracle and Empress began lifting their legs high and taking large steps, trudging through the snow to catch up.

Without the luxury of other people to serve as distractions, it was not long before the three encountered resistance. Only, it wasn't a monster that slipped them up, but the environment. The snow quickly gave way to sheets of ice, leaving the adventurers no choice but to step onto the frictionless surface. Witch could hover well above the ground, even Oracle had enough magical power to keep her feet off the floor, leaving only Empress at the mercy of gravity. As such, the very instant the sole of her boot pressed against the ice, momentum carried that foot forward at rapid speeds. "Whoa, shit!" Her legs split as far as her tight skirt would allow, and when that no longer gave way, her back leg's footing failed, and the fierce Dragonblood was soon tumbling hard on her ass.

There was literally no way her teammates could miss that crash. The two turned around after hearing the commotion, just in time to see Empress fumbling, rubbing her butt as her legs shook and wobbled, unable to climb back to her feet without her balance leaving her again. Witch's eyes went wide and her cheeks puffed out, something she tried to hide by covering her mouth with her hands, a deception that only lasted a scant few seconds, if it had ever even started. "Pfff....pfftpfpft....hahahahahahaha!"

Oracle wasn't even that nice. She also covered her mouth, but only with her fingertips, not even making an effort to conceal her smirk. "Is this your first time on the ice, Empress? Remind me, which of Atruum's contracts did you take, again?"

By the time Empress was able to stand again, she had more than enough of the mocking. "S-shut up..." Even in the freezing air, her cheeks burned hot enough to turn pink. "Damn, that one shook me up good..."

Not wanting to waste time, once she was upright again, everyone got moving once more, even though the giggling kept going. At least, enough laughter to really tick Empress off, with the only way to relieve that stress being by slicing and skewering a few crabs with her sword. Still, even the entire time she took point on the fighting, for as long as they were on the ice, her arms would spread for balance every time her movement was dicey.

This was enough to carry the three to the foot of the mountain. "So, the monsters' nest is supposed to be inside the mountain?" Sure enough, there was indeed a cave entrance right before them, which Witch halfway closed the distance towards. "Then let's just head straight in!"

"Hold on, hold on. It's also possible that there's another entrance higher up the mountain," Oracle hypothesized. "At least the mountain face is covered in snow, and I'm sure our lovely Empress would much prefer that to what is sure to be a frozen-over cave system." The grin Oracle was giving to Empress as she leaned closer and closer with every word kept growing, and was tightening with every veiled insult; it looked downright untrustworthy.

Empress turned her head and looked away. "I don't care. Just pick one." She could only hope no one saw her blushing.

Every quest has a time limit. Completing a quest within the time limit awards the Dragonblood with experience points that will make them stronger for the coming challenges. Failing the quest will take the entire time limit, and will leave the Dragonblood empty-handed. Certain routes will take more time, and may have either beneficial or detrimental effects.

Time limit: 40 minutes

Condition:

• Oracle - Fine
  • Empress - Mostly Fine
  • Witch - Fine
  1. Take the cave entrance at the foot of the mountain.
  2. Search higher up the mountain for another entrance.