Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Adventure in the World of Tess

Christina turned off the TV.

"All garbage." she said to no-one in particular, as she slouched back on the couch.

"Hey Chris?" a shout came from the front of the apartment.

"Yeah?" Christina yelled back.

"Did you order something? Cause there's a package here with no name on it!"

"No? Hold on Alana, I'll be right there!" Christina hollered as she got up from the couch. Walking to the front hallway, she found Alana holding several bags of groceries and kicking a medium-sized box down the hallway. "Lemme help you with that." She picked up the box and took it to the kitchen table.

Once all the food was put away, attention turned back to the box.

"I wonder what it is?" mused Alana.

"Are you sure it's even meant for us? Was there a note?" asked Christina.

"I didn't see any note. Maybe we should take a peek inside?"

What should they do?

1. Ask around to see if it belongs to someone else

B. Open it

iii. Call the police to report a potential hazard

"Sure, I guess. I hope it's money." said Christina.

Alana grabbed scissors from the sharp things cup and punctured the packing tape sealing the battered cardboard box. Inside, there was a mass of crumpled brown paper filling the space. Digging deeper, she grasped something cold and hard, slightly plastic-y and rather lightweight. "There's something in here, all right." She gave it a tug, but it felt snagged on something else. "Maybe a few somethings."

"Huh." replied Christina thoughtfully as she, too, began to pull packing paper from the box. "Whoa, what is this?" she lifted a large, grey device out of the box. On the top was a circular hatch and some lettering, while on one side there were two ports and a button.

"What did you find?" asked Alana.

"It says 'SEBA DreamDrive' right here... Is this some kind of knockoff console?"

"Never heard of it, so maybe? This is pretty weird, too." she held up a ring-shaped device connected across the middle by a half-ring which itself had a wire connected to its midpoint. "Some sort of brainwave helmet, maybe?" Alana put it over her head.

Christina giggled, "it looks really silly like that, but it could just be a super-obscure prototype? I dunno. It does look a little large for that."

"There's another one in here just like it. A matching pair! Oh, and some other wires."

"No controllers, no games?" inquired Chris, rooting around at the bottom of the box, "wait, this could be a controller. No, wait, it's a disk case. But it's made out of metal?"

"Freaky. Anything inside?"

Christina fumbled with the case for a moment before it clicked open. Inside was indeed a disk. "Yeah. It says just 'Tess' on it." She paused for a few moments. "Wait, does this make a full set? The console, game, wires and helmet controllers?"

"Looks like it, yeah."

"Wanna try it out?"

Alana shrugged, "why not? I've got the day off work tomorrow anyways."

"Gamer time!"

They brought the items into the TV room and started setting it up. As Christina tried to hook up the console to the screen, she noticed that there were no red, white or yellow round ports to connect to on the back. "Bad news, Lana. I don't think it's compatible with the TV. It's that old yellow and red and white type of connection."

"What kind? Never heard of that before."

"Oh, my grandparents have TVs at their house that have it, and there were these cute little plug-and-play games that used the same kind of wires, look-" she held out the wires to show Alana, but they were no longer three separate pins, but the broad, angular connector she was more familiar with. "Wha? I coulda swore it was the three thingies a moment ago. Maybe I'm imagining things again."

"Hey, don't talk like that. You just made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes." Alana said reassuringly.

"Hmmm..." Chris plugged it into the back of the screen.

"I think that's it! Pop in the game and let's power it up!"

"Given these controllers, It's probably just a game where you move your head to do a boring puzzle." Christina said as she closed the hatch over the disk and pressed what they assumed was the power button.

"Computer, turn off the light in the TV room. It's gamer time."

"Sure thing." responded the ai home assistant.

Chris sat on the couch next to Alana as the title screen loaded. "WORLD OF TESS" it proclaimed in bold font. A prompt then appeared, showing a human figure pulling the controller up its legs like a pair of pants.

"Haha, what? Okay, so these don't go on our heads I guess?" Alana chuckled nervously, "I hope it's not an exercise game. Those groceries were enough lifting for today."

"Heh, we'll see."

They both put the controllers on like a fresh pair of panties.

"I don't get how this is supposed to-" Chris started, when the controllers suddenly clamped around their waists. "What's going on?"

"I don't know!" Alana started to panic. "Why can I only see you? Where's the couch? Where's the apartment?"

The TV screen, now floating in darkness before them, shown a message: "YOU HAVE BEEN SUMMONED". A breeze started from all directions at once.

Christina and Alana looked at each other, and reached out as the wind built to a roar. The screen was gone. The wind was gone. They were gone.

In darkness, Christina felt as though she were waking up from a long and restful sleep. Against her back was a stiff, unyielding surface. Her hands, by her sides, splayed out, feeling the cool surface. Concrete, maybe? Her thoughts were interrupted by a deep, echoing female voice.

"Do you remember who you are?" demanded the voice.

"Who, me?" she blurted out. Her own voice resounded as if she were in a very tight space.

"Yes, you."

"Uhh, Christina? Christina Rockfurt?"

"That is not your name. You-"

"Yes it is!" she interrupted.

"No, you are Qu-"

"I'm Christina, and you can't tell me who I-"

Christina felt as though her brain had been slapped. "SILENCE" the voice boomed. "You are Queen Mirat of Men!"

Her brain still reeling, she snapped back, "No! You can't change my name! I already have one! And I like it very much!" She felt almost as if she were arguing with herself, this conversation seemed so absurd.

"You will use this name, or else I will keep you here for eternity!"

Christina couldn't move any part of her body now. "Okay, fine, I'll use the name." she admitted defeat. The paralyzing presence lifted.

"Good. Now go forth and fulfill your destiny." The voice faded away.

Now free to move, Christina tried to sit up- but smashed her face into a hard surface immediately in front of her. "Oww!" She fell back on the hard surface. "Am I in some kind of... cave? coffin?" She pushed against the surface above her but it refused to budge. A glowing outline formed, however, and a great crack sounded through the tight space. Dim light shone through the cracks, and then the lid of the coffin flew off to the side with a tremendous crash. Christina now sat up and looked around.

It was a small, elliptical room, lit by candles, with no clear exit. Varying items were scattered not carelessly about the place, and directly adjacent to her own stone coffin was another one.

From inside, she heard a thump followed by a muffled "damn it!" which sounded awfully familiar. The lid of the adjoining coffin suffered a spontaneous crack, and the edges glowed in the same way. Untouched, the lid then lifted and hurled itself against the far wall, shattering into rubble.

Alana sat up from the coffin. "Chris? You're here too? Oh thank god, I thought I was dead! Well, we could both be dead and we're just in hell together."

"I feel pretty alive." stated Chris blandly.

"Have you noticed that the controllers that latched onto us are gone? This is some pretty advanced VR or something."

"Maybe it's magic? Hey, did you get a voice in there telling you what your name is?"

"You know what, I did. I wasn't listening very closely but I think it said my name is Queen Miral or mirak or something among man."

"Mine told me that I was Queen Mirat of Men."

"That sounds confusing. Maybe we're supposed to be twins?" Alana remarked.

A section of wall cracked, surprising both women, and a tiny bit of daylight shone through. A slight draft seeped into the room as well, brimgimg the scent of fresh air to the stuffy burial chamber. They hopped out of their coffins into the space at the foot end, and noticed the armor they were wearing. In particular, while the overall coverage was decent, they had nothing but an elaborate knee-length loincloth covering their loins.

"What in the absolute f**k is this armor doing not protecting between my legs?!" Christina burst out. "Great, we must be trapped in a fantasy world created by a pervert."

"Yeah but have you seen how tight this armor fits my a**?" Alana pointed out, "it's super comfortable even with the, ahem, draft."

Christina eyed her girlfriend's rear, "Okay, it is pretty hot. My armor fits well, too."

"You can say that again."

"Well, perverted or not, it appears we're trapped here, so we might as well play along until we find a way out. Maybe we should start picking supplies out of this mess?"

The cracked wall crumbled in a cloud of dust, and an acutely annoying voice called into the room, "My Queens! You have been awoken by the mighty Zeefif! Rise from your graves and join me on the path to regain your lost glory!

What should they do?

A. Stock up

B. Head out immediately

C. Hide

D. Ambush