Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I have plenty more in mind for this story and others - the difficult matter is actually sitting down to write something.  I've never felt the urge before and I don't know when or if I will again.  I am interested in occasional new ideas though, and those I like may end up incorporated into my world if I can make them fit.

Here's an idea for a story I had in another thread: a woman in a maze-like university building is tired of long lines for the main ladies room and finds another one in a dead-end hallway(think like the unfinished hallway at MIT:http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/1998/coyote/ ) but not wanting others to discover it and have to deal with more long lines she comes up with a plan- put an "out of order" sign on the door so that way she won't have to deal with any more lines as nobody else but her will know the truth.  Then one day her friends get super desperate and she feels bad for them and shows them the secret ladies room, only to find out that this time it really is out of order(as her sign led to custodial staff discovering problems that needed fixing) so they end up having to search the maze-like building for another restroom"

Apparently I'm currently more ready to write than I expected, so here's another installment.  There's no omo content here, it's just resolving loose ends from chapter one and setting up the main arc of the coming story.  Dialogue is not my strong suit, so expect the first section, in particular, to be relatively underwhelming.  The next chapter is already in the works, but I figured I'd post this interlude while I finish it off.

----

Charlotte left the baths, her uniform in a bundle, wearing a simple shift.  Her hair still shone its characteristic golden, but it was bedraggled and unkempt.  Her eyes were stained red from crying, and they gazed fixedly at the floor before her.  By this point, the story had spread around the castle, and those who passed her in the hall gave her a wide berth.  She couldn't bring herself to return her ruined uniform to the quartermaster personally, so she left it in a bundle by the door for someone to find.
The Rose Wing was empty on her return - it made sense: it was the middle of the day and everyone had duties to attend to - so she was able to make her way back to her room uninterrupted.  Opening the door, she was surprised to find a somewhat distraught Queen sitting on her bed, waiting for her.  As soon as she closed the door, Lily jumped up to embrace her and burst into tears.
"I'm sorry for all the horrible things I said Char!  You know that my position is at risk and I can't afford to show any favouritism.  Those nobles are just looking for an opportunity to accuse me of impropriety and have me deposed!  I still love you!" the Queen babbled, sounding more like the young woman she was than a powerful ruler of a nation.

In that moment, all the anxieties Charlotte was bearing from that morning washed away.  As long as she still had 
the her Queen's love, nothing else mattered.  
"Now," Lily continued, sniffling and wiping her eyes, "I tried to convince the council that you should be given an opportunity to redeem yourself, but they wouldn't accept anything less than a Trial of The Penitent.  Of co-"
"I'll do it", Charlotte responded without hesitation.
"Don't be stupid, those Trials are designed to be suicide missions, you're not meant to be able to succeed!  I don't want to lose you like that!" Lily pleaded, bursting into tears again.
Confidence reforming, Charlotte asked "do you think I can't do it?"
"W- well, i- it's not that-"
"I'll complete this trial, and show the council my dedication and ability, then I'll return to you and take my place at your side."  
"O- okay", the Queen relented, "just..."
"Yes?"
"Make sure to pee before you set off."
"GET OUT!" Charlotte screamed, bursting into laughter as she launched a slipper toward the giggling Queen.  
As Lily ran off, cackling with glee, Charlotte sat down on her bed, steeling herself for the trial that was to come.  

----

The trial that the council decided on was, naturally, something important to prepare for the coming war.  The Kingdom of Floraden was bordered by the Citizens' State of Dathomar on the east and the Great Forest on the west.  The majority of the country's military was gearing up to face the Dathomir grand horde, but tradition held that the elves were ever waiting for their chance to march eastward.  The elves hadn't been seen in centuries, but the western front could not be cleared while their status was still unknown.  Among the humans of Floraden, the Great Forest was known to be off-limits - none who'd entered the elves' territory had ever returned alive.  Charlotte's 
task was to explore the Great Forest and determine whether the elves would be a threat if troops were withdrawn from the west.  The western border with the forest was massive, and it represented one of the largest standing army reserves in the known world.  If the garrisons could be moved east, Floraden would have a great advantage in the war to come.

During a Trial of The Penitent, one could not use any advantages afforded by ones prior station, and one could not be given any help by those whom they served or were in their service.  One would be simply cast out the front gates with naught to their name but a special uniform (their ordinary uniform but with the ordinary cloth bouquet that represented their rank and station removed and replaced with a bouquet of wilted iron flowers), a standard-issue weapon and a basic wilderness survival kit with one day of rations.  Mercifully, one was also allowed to take non-financial personal effects, most notably clothing and sentimental items.  

Edited by redlaw (see edit history)

I wrote this after reading the first chapter because I thought it was the whole story.  I'll read and respond to the other chapters later.

A female holy night having an accident?  It's not something I'm used to reading, but I find I love it!  I would've liked a little more backstory explaining the setting and Charlotte's place in this society, and especially how this universe's magic works.  Still, for the most part we're able to jump right into the action without confusion.  I think it's great how Charlotte leaks bit by bit instead of the big sudden accident that usually happens in omo stories, and the way you describe it is just delicious!  I was saddened by the ending, though.

• 3 months later...

Just an update and sort of a new post: I promised a flashback chapter before I continued.  That happened, sort of.  I started writing it and decided to make Princess Lily wake up desperate, then I ended up with 30 pages of different ways for her to make it or not, so I posted it in a separate topic, and will add some actual history and worldbuilding to it when I get around to it, and I'll also continue the main story line, also when I get around to it.  You can find the other topic here.

This is so fun to read! I'm glad the queen is the knight's scandalous lover, I was angry in the first chapter when she got yelled out of the room for peeing herself when a foreign diplomat was way more disrespectful. Seems the court needs to be reminded who the queen is.

Fun fact, among the French nobility, women peeing themselves was common because it was almost impossible to use a chamber pot in those dresses. They'd just go in their dresses. It was less humiliating and more elitist, since the ladies were rich enough to pee on spot while the poor maids cleaned up after them, and maids didn't have pee-on-spot privileges.

• 4 months later...