Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Good resources for learning Haskell?

Anyone know any good resources for learning the Haskell programming language?

I have the book Real World Haskell (O'Sullivan, Goerzen, Stewart) but I'm mostly looking for more quality programming exercises. It's a really bizarre computer language for me, even though I have a bit of a background in the abstract math it's based on. The other book I've tried is Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming but I returned it because it seems to be based on outdated code from 2011 from before a seemingly minor language change.

It seems hard even to learn how to get it set up. I ended up just using Vim with someone's haskell.vim file that allows for good syntax highlighting and indentation, though I would like to get a lightweight IDE going at some point (curious about how to use features like QuickCheck). Anyways, let me know what you think! It's a fascinating computer language and I enjoy the functional programming paradigm a lot, at least in theory.

If I get a handle on it, maybe I can make an omorashi-themed text game or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about Haskell really, but I do have a little experience in programming.  Mostly C in embedded systems which, I know, is totally different.

I'm just curious as to why you want to learn Haskell.  Any particular reason or just some kind of curiosity?  If you're into functional isn't Rust the go to thing right now?  I know it's not purely functional, but still?

I'm just looking for something purely functional to learn. It seems like such a different paradigm than what I'm used to (C++). What I like about it is that I can apply language features in their purest form, then possibly apply FP techniques to other languages. Maybe it would make Rust easier to learn down the line, not sure.

I guess I don't have a great reason to choose Haskell over Rust (or Scala, or Erlang), but I just really like the idea of a pure programming environment. So far, it's also been really easy to mess with. GHCi is a cool interpreter, and it's easy to load functions in and mess around with them without having to compile an entire program.

I'm most looking forward to learning about parallel programming and being able to take advantage of more of my computer's resources. Apparently it's easy to do that in Haskell, but I'll see.

Ah, I see.  That sounds very computer-sciencey to me, so I'm a little out of my wheelhouse here.  My area of study was circuits and embedded systems programming, so I tend to look at the machine as an electronic device rather than the theoretical machine necessary for the functional paradigm.  I've had a really hard time trying to learn functional concepts because getting too high level makes me uncomfortable.  I do want to learn Rust, though.

That being said, I don't even program that much so I'm by far not an expert.  I wouldn't even consider myself on the level of motivated hobbyist, it's just more something that I picked up along the way because I needed to in order to meet some other goal.

Unrelated, but I also kind of want to learn ArnoldC.

Good luck on your Haskell (or other functional language) journey!

ArnoldC looks like a glorious shitpost. Thank you for sharing that with me!

Circuits and embedded systems are another area of interest for me. I want to try to use functional programming in FPGAs and stuff, or maybe find some kind of functional language equivalent to Verilog.

Good luck with your own coding adventure. Making efficient stuff for embedded systems really can be beautiful in its own way. I admire the low-levelness!

42 minutes ago, PeeStacy said:

Circuits and embedded systems are another area of interest for me. I want to try to use functional programming in FPGAs and stuff, or maybe find some kind of functional language equivalent to Verilog.

I never had much use for HDLs, though I am slowly beginning to understand their importance (I think we did VHDL in school).  FPGAs are somewhat interesting to me, especially how they are being used to keep legacy hardware and software alive, such as in old gaming stuff.  In school I mostly focused on programming microcontrollers for driving things such as USB peripherals.  I had planned to do things in robotics as well but that has yet to materialize.

Thanks for the well wishes, but I don't actually work in that field right now.  Most of my experience was in school, and I do miss it, but unfortunately the area I live in doesn't have a lot of tech opportunities.  I do some stuff on the PC as well, but I keep forgetting and putting it off.  I've been trying to learn how to program for Windows for a long time.  It doesn't help that there are so many options now.  I keep bouncing from pure Windows, to SDL2, to some game engine, then back again.  I could probably be an expert in any one of those things if I had the ability to just pick one, but I don't think that's quite in the cards.  I've also been toying around with the idea of making some omo themed game for a while, but all I've done is some fairly simple text-based tests in the console.