Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Choosing Between Going to the Bathroom and Doing Something Else

In my Long Ladies Room Line Survey (https://www.misterpoll.com/polls/540072/results) I asked a question: Have you missed flights, trains, buses or events etc. waiting in line for the bathroom or otherwise had to chose between attending an activity or using the restroom? (EX: In order to catch your train bus etc. you had to forgo using the bathroom and possibly had to hold it in for a long time). Nearly a third answered all the time or often and 55% said Usually I will forgo using the restroom to catch my train/flight or attend my event.

My question here is exactly that. Does anyone here have any stories of times where they had to forgo using the restroom because there was a long ladies room line or something along those lines and you had to choose between going to the bathroom or doing something else? I wouldn't say it happens often to me but it's definitely happened before and it's very frustrating. So my question is how often has everyone here experienced something like that?

Being too busy or in too much of a hurry to take the time to pee has surely happened to both women and men.  It doesn't have to be a line at the rest room door that makes you choose to do something else.  I've put off peeing many times to do something that seemed more important at the moment, sometimes holding it until I realized I would wet myself if I didn't go.

Edited by Spectator9
Correct spelling (see edit history)

Yes, it definitely happen to both, women and men. Mostly not because of long lines in front of the bathroom, but often because bathroom is not available where you're and would have to spend too much time to find one and just choose to wait and pee later on. The other most common reason is probably because you choose to do something else first, like finish what you're doing etc. People with stronger bladders often do this, those of us with weak bladders usually don't really have a choice unless we want to risk a wetting accident and we have to sacrifice other things to keep our pants dry. It's no win win situation either way. For example, you miss a bus and arrive late because you had to visit a public bathroom on the way or you catch a bus and arrive to your final destination with wet pants, because you couldn't hold it any more and have to go back home anyway. Now you can just ask yourself how important is to arrive on time to the final destination?

Check out this thread. I asked a similar question a while ago.

Edited by CarmenCD (see edit history)

I heard from a friend (female) that she was runing late for her flight but she wanted to pee too but the ladies restroom all had a long line that morning so she ended up holding it...EXCEPT she told me she regreted holding it because she was assigned a middle seat for her hour long flight and she told me she was one of the last to board to the flight so she couldnt fash to the levatory first and had to take her seat. She held it in and then the aisle seat fell asleep for the rest of the flight so she had to hold it all flight until the flight landing which thankfully was short and she made it at the destintation (after waiting in a shorter line at the arrival airport). I told her that must suck do you regret not going on the ground at the departure airport and she said the lines were too long and may have missed her flight.  I have no idea how you girls put up with long lines as it seems invoivinent and having to hold it for an extra hour over a 10-20mins line 

I've had to make a lot of those choices, from do I go to the bathroom or just hold it through the bus/plane/car ride, class, shopping, certain places in public where time is constrained. Most of the time I have chosen "hold it". I have been over the years in a few lines at ballgames and festivals. Hi DesperateJill it is nice to see you on this site, I LOVE that there are more people like you coming on this website who are aroused by bathroom lines. Have you noticed do most people do lots of pee dancing in lines or are people still? Are men or women more likely to move their legs and torso around?

Edited by LongLines (see edit history)
16 hours ago, JMatthews1995 said:

Not me personally, but there is a girl at my work that works on a production line. She's quite cute, and gets 2 separate 10 minute breaks every 8 hour shift. She will frequently ignore her need to pee to go out and have a cigarette, having to then spend the next 2/3 hours holding her pee!

Dedicated smokers will often forego almost anything else in order to have a cigarette, so if there's only time to puff or to pee but not both, they'll hold a full bladder to get their infusion of nicotine.  

Guest w92iasd

Plenty. Since I usually like holding my pee in my daily life, I usually end up having to make these choices a lot. Rarely waiting for the bathroom but I do sometimes end up having to do other things even when I get past my comfort zone for holding.

• 2 years later...

Happened to one coworker (in her early fifties).

Here in France we have frequent and sometimes unannounced train strikes. So that day she was at her office when rumour started to spread that there was a strike beginning right now in trains. She checked and saw online that there was only one train remaining for her to her to her city (very gar in suburbs), all the other ones were cancelled. And it was due soon. Her only chance was to leave right away.

I overhear her say that the next week, she said it was a mistake she would never do again : leaving the office for her long ride home without visiting the bathroom first. She didn't took time to go pee before leaving for the train station in hurry. At first it seemed she made the best choice, since she managed to catch the train (and it may have really been the last). But soon the train ride home became difficult because she needed to pee soon, and it got worse and worse. There was too many people in the train (it was packed) to use the bathroom in the wagon, it took longer than usual because the train stooped longer at every station and in some stations it usually didn't serve. When finally there was some room to move and she could get near the wagon bathroom, it was her stop so she had yo get out, no more time to go in there. She walked the fasted possible to her house (10 min walk), but ended up peeing her pants in her building while climbing stairs to her 1st floor flat. No one saw her bit it was a very unpleasant train ride due to her need, and she felt kinda humiliated for peeing herself 

Usually I pee just twice a day, before bed time and at noon. But sometimes I get so distracted during my lunch break that I ignore the already noteworthy urge and start into my afternoon shift still full instead of visiting the gents. But as an experienced holder I normally buck up and can reach quitting time. Sometimes and if not yet bursting, only desperate, I even drive home full to the brim.

It never happened to me that I had to postpone a trip or something to go to the bathroom since I usually go to places with plenty of time, I prefer to arrive sooner rather than later, I also have the habit of going to the bathroom before I always leave, whether it is from my home, work or elsewhere.

However, it happened to me once I arrived early at work (at that time I worked as security at a bank) and I had to wait for my colleague or an authorized manager to arrive to open the bank, we had to open at 8:30 am, I arrived at 8:10 am and already wanting to urinate because I had drunk a large coffee 2 hours before traveling and it turns out that my partner and the authorized managers did not arrive on time, it was already 8:50 am and they still had not arrived and I already I was 9/10 wanting to urinate so I went to a mall halfway down the street to use the bathroom, they were cleaning so I had to wait longer to go, when they finished cleaning I was finally able to urinate since I was 10/10 (I would say that it was the closest time I came to peeing my pants by accident)

And I got to work at 9:10 am with the surprise that everyone had already arrived and they were waiting for me to arrive, who had the keys to the place. I preferred that they scold me for being late (when they really were late) than tell them that I went to the mall because otherwise I would pee in my pants.

My main thing was being terrified of using the bathroom around cis women.  First time I actually used a women's room was an empty one at a park because I was doing deliveries and was legitimately about to pee myself.  Now though I do it with only a little nervousness, and bathroom access on my college campus is good for both genders.  Which is a good thing too, as spiro makes me need to pee more lol

@Cristiano97

"It never happened to me that I had to postpone a trip or something to go to the bathroom since I usually go to places with plenty of time, I prefer to arrive sooner rather than later, I also have the habit of going to the bathroom before I always leave, whether it is from my home, work or elsewhere."

I'm the same way as I go to the bathroom right before I leave the place and then usually again once I arrive, and always know where all of the bathrooms are, so I usually don't find myself in this situation except maybe when I am in a place that I don't normally go where you don't know where the bathrooms are or know when you are going to have regular access to the bathrooms.

Many times, unfortunately. Here’s one of my most memorable ones: 

My family and I were on a long road trip to my grandparents house for Christmas. We pulled over at a gas station and I really needed to pee, but I seemed to be the only one who did so I was nervous and tried to hide it. I went to the single occupant bathroom but there were a couple people standing in front of it. I tried to wait but before long we needed to keep going, which was a huge mistake because I ended up wetting myself in another bathroom line an hour later. 

4 minutes ago, Mary127 said:

Many times, unfortunately. Here’s one of my most memorable ones: 

My family and I were on a long road trip to my grandparents house for Christmas. We pulled over at a gas station and I really needed to pee, but I seemed to be the only one who did so I was nervous and tried to hide it. I went to the single occupant bathroom but there were a couple people standing in front of it. I tried to wait but before long we needed to keep going, which was a huge mistake because I ended up wetting myself in another bathroom line an hour later. 

What did the rest of your family say?

I’ve made that choice many times. On night I made that choice. I was working on paperwork and vowed to not get up until I was done. I finally did get up, walked the few feet to the bathroom door on the left. Opened the door, took one step. Then the infant in the room immediately on the right started crying, for the first time in weeks. I hesitated then desperately did not want the crying infant to awaken my then wife. I was a couple steps from the infant when I hoped she wouldn’t find out it wasn’t just the infant who should be changed. I changed the infant then cleaned up me.

So, did I choose once or did I choose twice to do something else instead of going to the bathroom?

Edited by scinosensation (see edit history)

@scinosensation

"So, did I choose once or did I choose twice to do something else instead of going to the bathroom?"

I was thinking of this more in terms of situations where you don't have enough time to do both activities, but yes I suppose that in a situation where you choose to do something else because of the situation rather than going to the bathroom it still technically qualifies.

@DesperateJill, I see how my situation could be a stretch of your definition. In the first case it was simply my choice to not go to the bathroom until I completed the task at hand. Finally I realized I did have a choice, go to the bathroom in a toilet or go to the bathroom8 in my pants. I chose to go in a toilet. Then as I was almost there the crying infant forced me to reconsider my choice. So it may well be that the first decision I made is outside your definition.
So does the second situation fit your definition? I was roughly two steps from the toilet when I recognized I did not have enough time to both go to the bathroom in the toilet and quiet the crying infant. I chose to try to not allow the infant to awaken my then wife. To be sure at the instant of my choice I I did not expect to go to the bathroom in my pants. I turned to deal with the crying infant, then after about 4 or 5 steps I went to the bathroom in my pants instead of in the toilet.

There’s more to the story than I have put here.

Edited by scinosensation (see edit history)

Oooh, I love this kind of choice, both reading about it and having to make it. The most memorable ones from the last few years:

*Sick and drinking a ton of water, needed to go to the post office. I had peed before leaving, but needed to go while waiting at the post office, and put it off because I didn't want to have to start the process of what I was doing over again. When it got *too* bad, I decided to go ahead and find a bathroom, but it was too late.

*Line at the pharmacy was in-friggin'-sane, and bathrooms were closed for Covid. If you've waited almost an hour to get your meds, you'll suffer a lot to avoid having to start over! This happened a few times, sometimes ending in painful dashes to the nearby 7-11 afterward, and one instance of changing pants.

*Any number of times I've done it just to challenge myself, deciding 'after shopping' or 'after I get home' etc. to enjoy the full feeling now and the sensation of a well-needed release later. Though at least once, a traffic jam from one kind of accident meant another kind in my seat. Oops.

*Working on a story or message, not wanting to go while my brain has some actual momentum going. Food, sleep, and the bathroom must all wait!

*Before DVRs were a thing (and after but before I had one), any number of times I wanted to wait until a commercial or after an important point in a game I was watching.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:59 AM, DesperateJill said:

In my Long Ladies Room Line Survey (https://www.misterpoll.com/polls/540072/results) I asked a question: Have you missed flights, trains, buses or events etc. waiting in line for the bathroom or otherwise had to chose between attending an activity or using the restroom? (EX: In order to catch your train bus etc. you had to forgo using the bathroom and possibly had to hold it in for a long time). Nearly a third answered all the time or often and 55% said Usually I will forgo using the restroom to catch my train/flight or attend my event.

My question here is exactly that. Does anyone here have any stories of times where they had to forgo using the restroom because there was a long ladies room line or something along those lines and you had to choose between going to the bathroom or doing something else? I wouldn't say it happens often to me but it's definitely happened before and it's very frustrating. So my question is how often has everyone here experienced something like that?

I had to catch a flight to Mexico but I missed the flight because I drank a large coffee and a liter of water, I was so unbelievably desperate to pee I knew that I wouldn't be able to hold it in during takeoff.