Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female The Outhouse Bandit

This isn't necessarily a criticism of the story, but of omo stories in general. For some reason, parents are always either assholes to their adult children or treat them like toddlers. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had a 20 year old kid and they had an accident I'd treat them with respect and allow them their dignity.

Accidents happen, that's a fact, but some characters in these stories act with so little regard for others, you'd think pissing your pants is a once in a lifetime event. It's especially jarring when a parental character takes their kid's accident to be an inconvenience. Anyone over the age of 10 is capable of doing the laundry, why does it suddenly ruin everything? Desperation is also treated this way. I get if it's 2 consenting adults participating in this fetish (i.e. bathroom control), but when someone is in distress and discomfort and the authority figure isn't respecting their autonomy it's genuinely upsetting to read. No reasonable sane person would go, "No we can't pull over to this rest stop despite you asking to for the past hour, we're going to be late to the thing."

That's really it. Characters are the one thing I'm critical of in media, so when someone doesn't act like a person it really stands out to me.

2 hours ago, Bismiris said:

That's really it. Characters are the one thing I'm critical of in media, so when someone doesn't act like a person it really stands out to me.

Thank you for being honest!

This is something I've been thinking about. You see, I enjoy this trope, up to a point. And often, the only way to make it not seem unnatural or cruel is to make the characters inappropriately young, which I'm not keen on doing. So, do you drop the trope? You could, but like I said, I kind of enjoy it, unless taken to ridiculous extremes. And the popularity of the trope among writers seems to indicate I'm not the only one.

In this story, I tried to kind of lampshade the artificiality of it by contrasting a ridiculous parent with a much more reasonable and sympathetic one, who happens to be too timid to challenge the other. But in the end, I know it's gonna come across as weird, and I made the choice to include it anyway. That's gonna turn some people, like yourself, off, and that's fine. It's a fantasy, after all, and no fantasy is going to please everybody.

1 hour ago, satyr said:

In this story, I tried to kind of lampshade the artificiality of it by contrasting a ridiculous parent with a much more reasonable and sympathetic one, who happens to be too timid to challenge the other. But in the end, I know it's gonna come across as weird, and I made the choice to include it anyway. That's gonna turn some people, like yourself, off, and that's fine. It's a fantasy, after all, and no fantasy is going to please everybody.

You did this in the best way possible. Maya has a history of wetting, so understandably her mother isn't too keen on it. Like I said, it's not a criticism of you or this story, but of the trope. Julie's parents may have acted rationally, but because we don't know their history they come across a bit off.

I liked the story, I do agree with the critique that the infantile treatment of adults is a little odd. It works well in more purposefully 'abdl' stories, or stories built around that sort of concept(like your great Developmental Biology series). Overall though I like the trope as well though.