Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Weird college dorm COVID response

I was recently reading an update regarding a local college. This college has dorms with common bathrooms separated by gender. Recently, their residence hall people sent a COVID update for the fall. Part of this was that using communal bathrooms must be scheduled in advance, like laundry or dining. How can they force-schedule bathroom breaks, and what if someone wakes up in the middle of the night and has to pee? It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out and any ensuing desperation or ‘accidents’ this causes, even if it was just typed oddly. 

I remember reading a fiction story years ago about a guy working in an office where the workers had to book a slot in advance in order to use the toilet. Because it was his first day, he didn't realise he had to book so ended up bursting to go in the morning and the only available slots were in the late afternoon so he had to hold on for hours. Quite a hot scenario to imagine but would probably be quite frustrating in reality. 

"I was recently reading an update regarding a local college. This college has dorms with common bathrooms separated by gender. Recently, their residence hall people sent a COVID update for the fall. Part of this was that using communal bathrooms must be scheduled in advance, like laundry or dining. How can they force-schedule bathroom breaks, and what if someone wakes up in the middle of the night and has to pee? It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out and any ensuing desperation or ‘accidents’ this causes, even if it was just typed oddly. "

I have to say whoever made that new rule is kind of idiotic as you really can't plan when you are going to go to the bathroom that specifically. You run on your bladder's schedule not your bladder running on the schedule of others. But yes it would make for a good story idea!

I'm inclined to think that this applies more to the shower section of the bathroom. Like you need to schedule your shower ahead of time. It's not ethical to force a time schedule for bathroom breaks, especially on a college diet(mhm cheap tacos). 

By having scheduled shower times it limits people just standing there waiting for a free shower. Where if you're going in there to use the toilet you're in and out and washing your hands and can wear a face mask if needed. It could also add an additional time slot where cleaning could be done more often. 

3 hours ago, TheEvilDog said:

I'm inclined to think that this applies more to the shower section of the bathroom. Like you need to schedule your shower ahead of time. It's not ethical to force a time schedule for bathroom breaks, especially on a college diet(mhm cheap tacos). 

By having scheduled shower times it limits people just standing there waiting for a free shower. Where if you're going in there to use the toilet you're in and out and washing your hands and can wear a face mask if needed. It could also add an additional time slot where cleaning could be done more often. 

Right. I doubt they can enforce it anyway, unless theres a bathroom attendant which,  I highly doubt. Seems like it's there to remind people to use their best judgment.