Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Any writers want to discuss the craft?

• 3 months later...

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I'll bite:

What do you think about the application of Aristotle's Seven Golden Rules in fiction writing?  Personally, I've struggled with a little bit of it (chorus for example) but I think it's a good framework overall.  I feel that not enough authors think about structure or theme when they approach their writing.

6 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I'll bite:

What do you think about the application of Aristotle's Seven Golden Rules in fiction writing?  Personally, I've struggled with a little bit of it (chorus for example) but I think it's a good framework overall.  I feel that not enough authors think about structure or theme when they approach their writing.

I think that it's a nice set of guidelines to go by. I think that I struggle with making my dialogue feel natural and describing my scenes enthusiastically

I used to have a lot of trouble with dialog as well.  Actually, I may still have trouble as it's been a while since I've released anything for other people to read.  What helped me was to dabble a bit in fanfiction.  Using characters from a show that I know very well makes writing dialog a little more straightforward since I can easily envision how they would talk and react to situations.  Porting that knowledge to original characters is a challenge all its own, but either way it's still a good exercise in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Dynamic said:

I used to have a lot of trouble with dialog as well.  Actually, I may still have trouble as it's been a while since I've released anything for other people to read.  What helped me was to dabble a bit in fanfiction.  Using characters from a show that I know very well makes writing dialog a little more straightforward since I can easily envision how they would talk and react to situations.  Porting that knowledge to original characters is a challenge all its own, but either way it's still a good exercise in my opinion.

Ooh, I actually hadn't thought of doing that. What do you normally write, genre-wise?

I started a trilogy of superhero novels about a year ago. (I really wanna delve into epic fantasy stuff!)

I have trouble describing people and scenery. I end up leaving most of it to the readers imagination because a lot of main character introduction is so cringey on here it immediately kills a story for me.  There's a lot of "men writing women on here" I know people are writing their fantasies,  but as a female, when girls are staring at themselves in the mirror, we aren't admiring our "perfect ass and perky boobs"  we are looking at all the blackheads on our face, all the strands of hair we can't get to fall the right way, how our make up looks like shit. etc.

17 hours ago, dabboi said:

What do you normally write, genre-wise?

I guess the closest to what I like to write would be the techno-thriller genre.  As you can imagine, there aren't a lot of AB/DL or Omo themed techno-thrillers, but that's what I like to write.  It's been a very long time since I wrote anything in that very specific vein, but when I did I wasn't the most popular writer, but I did get some pretty die-hard fans, which was cool.

13 hours ago, SashaButters said:

when girls are staring at themselves in the mirror, we aren't admiring our "perfect ass and perky boobs" 

That's strange, because as a man that's exactly what I'm doing when I look at myself in the mirror.

In seriousness, this is a trend that is very common with younger male writers.  That isn't to say that older men can't also fall into this sort of writing, but I think that once a guy passes a certain age, if he is sufficiently adjusted, he will realize that women are also people not very different from himself.  As young boys we are encouraged to objectify women, mostly by our peers who are doing the same thing in some kind of self-feeding loop.  Women are treated as prizes to be won, or rewards for good behavior (the often misunderstood "nice guy" philosophy which doesn't actually come close to real life at all).  This comes out in writing, in the same way that action scenes tend to come out - as a means to explore a sensory experience without any real depth.  I admit that when I was a lot younger and writing dumb ABDL stories for the internet my own writing basically fell into the same trap.  I won't even comment on the stuff I wrote privately, but as you can imagine it was even worse.  I eventually got past this, though.  I think any aspiring author has to overcome the desire to only "fantasize on paper" if they ever want to actually dip their toes into what can be considered "real writing."  That isn't to say that fantasizing is a bad thing.  I've read lots of stories that had little depth, but still entertained and inspired me in some way.  Everything has its place, after all.  But, for the "true author," if there is such a thing, the challenge doesn't stop with just making sure the words are spelled correctly.  There is a whole world beyond what most people realize, and things like the 7 Golden Rules are just small examples of that.  The road to becoming a good writer is long indeed.

I originally started writing because I had a keyboard in front of me and no other way to express myself, since I was bad at art and... well, most things.  It was extremely easy to get into, but something that, if i'm lucky, will only take a lifetime to master.