Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bathroom is for employees only policy

I noticed that more & more places started having an "employees only" policy for their bathroom. For starters, my local hair salon has a bathroom that can only be used by the staff, even though the customers can spend around 2 or 3 hours in there. I suspect this might have to do with the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) rules. 

I'm going to explain this in a very simple way : if the bathroom is opened to the public, they have to  follow very strict wheelchair accessibility standards. The door would have to be large enough to allow a wheelchair to pass, the sink would have to be positioned low enough for them to reach it, etc. If they can't make it accessible for wheelchair users, they're  not allowed to open it to the public. It's mostly because it would be considered discrimination if they were to let everyone else use it, but not the disabled person because their restroom don't meet the ADA requirements.

I used to work at a convenience store a few years back in order to pay for my college funds. We had a similar policy for our bathroom (staff only) but usually, if it was a little kid or a pregnant woman (or if someone really had an emergency), we would make an exception and take them to our staff - only bathroom. 

I believe it's much better to just let them use it than letting them suffer some horrible public humiliation or potentially having to clean up the mess. 

Edited by Andreea (see edit history)

I agree completely, as nice as it may be to have little fantasies about people being denied for the purpose of our fetish, in the real world the draconian application of rules is really unnecessary and often downright cruel.

The worst one I ever saw was a pregnant woman who rushed into the convenience store near my house begging for the toilet who was then directed to the nearest public toilet nearly a quarter mile away, because “Staff only”. Absolutely ridiculous. 

20 minutes ago, gtg2468 said:

When I was pregnant I can’t even count how many times this happened to me. My urge incontinence was off the charts when I was pregnant to the point where it was coming out as I was asking for the toilet. Many times I was denied and had to leave a puddle for them.

Very sorry to hear this, them having to clean up is a very small inconvenience compared to the humiliation you must have felt.

Disability accommodation?.

I thought it was because drug addicts keep dying in public restrooms, I guess there is more too it. 

Bathroom denial is horrible. So many stores are cutting restrooms out of their budget. Someone desperate should prob go for a big chain store or fast food place.

People won't only just get humiliated.  Sometimes people get assaulted. Bathroom denial is cruel. 

22 hours ago, Ninji said:

Disability accommodation?.

I thought it was because drug addicts keep dying in public restrooms, I guess there is more too it. 

Bathroom denial is horrible. So many stores are cutting restrooms out of their budget. Someone desperate should prob go for a big chain store or fast food place.

People won't only just get humiliated.  Sometimes people get assaulted. Bathroom denial is cruel. 

Bathroom denial should be illegal 

*unless it's some bdsm omo stuff or whatever. 

If there's only one bathroom at the business, I strongly support enforcing it for employees only. Where I work we have only one bathroom, and it's open to public. I am avoiding it all costs, because general public makes it disgusting! People piss on the floor, leave toilet paper on the floor, stick chewing gums to mirrors... it's just gross to use, and with housekeeping cleaning it only once a day it's a complete petry dish. I would love if access there would be limited to employees only so it would stay relatively clean.

Here in the U.K. it’s less to do with disability discrimination and more. To do with employment law verses build regulations. So employees must have access to a bathroom where ‘reasonable’ so tai drivers wouldn’t be reasonable but shop workers would. But the law on building regulations means that only when a shop sells food or drink for sit down customers like a cafe or restaurant do they by law have to have public accessible toilets. So by law small shops, hairdressers, take always, laundrettes and even larger general stores like book shops or clothes shops don’t have to provide public toilets. They are well within the law to state any toilets are staff only though most I would like to think would allow access in emergencies. 

I worked in a small shoe shop for a while and the manager was very controlling and refused under any circumstances for any member of the public to use the staff loo. It made me uncomfortable enforcing this even with my fetish. It almost felt abusive. 

I think it depends on the business. Some businesses simply can't afford it or they had too many issues in the past. I work at a thrift store, and our restrooms are employees only. We opened them up briefly, but some moron flushed a sock down the toilet and it screwed with our plumbing. Our plumbing isn't that great to begin with. When it threatens employees' access to restrooms, it gets scary tbh. I think it's best to have a private restroom for employees if the establishment has public restrooms.

I think access to toilets is a human right, and I disagree with some of the covid restrictions. You start opening places up but don't allow people access to restrooms? Not every business needs to have public restrooms, that's unrealistic. But restaurants, shopping malls, anywhere where people typically stay for several hours should have some restrooms available. I feel like closing pretty much all of them down will only create MORE problems we don't need. I really feel for people who have diabetes, ibs, or are pregnant and have to deal with this. Not to mention that most restrooms offer people an opportunity to wash their hands.

40 minutes ago, 33applepies said:

I think it depends on the business. Some businesses simply can't afford it or they had too many issues in the past. I work at a thrift store, and our restrooms are employees only. We opened them up briefly, but some moron flushed a sock down the toilet and it screwed with our plumbing. Our plumbing isn't that great to begin with. When it threatens employees' access to restrooms, it gets scary tbh. I think it's best to have a private restroom for employees if the establishment has public restrooms.

I think access to toilets is a human right, and I disagree with some of the covid restrictions. You start opening places up but don't allow people access to restrooms? Not every business needs to have public restrooms, that's unrealistic. But restaurants, shopping malls, anywhere where people typically stay for several hours should have some restrooms available. I feel like closing pretty much all of them down will only create MORE problems we don't need. I really feel for people who have diabetes, ibs, or are pregnant and have to deal with this. Not to mention that most restrooms offer people an opportunity to wash their hands.

I know most people who have IBS are normally completely homebound.They refuse to go out because they're afraid they will get a flare up when there is no bathroom around (and when an diarrhea attack kicks in,you normally have less than 1 minute to get to a bathroom before you end up messing yourself).

On 5/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, Dtravis said:

If there's only one bathroom at the business, I strongly support enforcing it for employees only. Where I work we have only one bathroom, and it's open to public. I am avoiding it all costs, because general public makes it disgusting! People piss on the floor, leave toilet paper on the floor, stick chewing gums to mirrors... it's just gross to use, and with housekeeping cleaning it only once a day it's a complete petry dish. I would love if access there would be limited to employees only so it would stay relatively clean.

Where would customers pee then??

1 hour ago, Ms. Tito said:

Where would customers pee then??

It's something for them to figure out, I wouldn't have problems with it myself. Where would they eat? Where would they drink? Where would they pee? It's not a full lodging with all amenities included. They can go to the public mall restrooms, pee before you leave for shopping and don't window shop for 6 hours straight, etc. I grew up in a country where public restrooms had been way more rare than they're now in the US, and most businesses wouldn't let customers use their restrooms at any circumstances. Nobody was peeing themselves on the street, people just used to plan their day around it.

By the way when I was traveling around Europe 10-15-20 years ago, free public restrooms were very rare in many countries. Most restrooms were either for paying customers only (they actually would verify your receipt before giving you a key, and if you didn't buy anything this visit - no key), or you had to pay up to 1 euro to enter the restroom, and these money were used to keep janitor who would keep them clean. Here in the US there's a free public restroom everywhere, and most places don't keep it clean because it's expenses, and since it's free nobody cares if customers complain that it's not shiny.

8 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I don't know how any public place could not have a bathroom available to its customers like that as a bathroom is a basic need. Plus if you want to keep people around and shopping longer a bathroom is pretty much a necessity.

Perhaps any business where you might reasonably expect to spend an hour or more should have a public rest room, but most smaller stores and shops should not have this obligation.  Restaurants, theaters, department stores, etc. all have them, and that's logical.  If you have a medical condition that requires frequent toilet access, wear an adult diaper if you are browsing through a series of small shops.  Most of us can manage an afternoon of shopping and wait until we get home.

That being said, I think municipalities should provide public toilets somewhere in the center that are open 24/7, even if it's just portapotties.

• 10 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, gtg2468 said:

When I was pregnant I can’t even count how many times this happened to me. My urge incontinence was off the charts when I was pregnant to the point where it was coming out as I was asking for the toilet. Many times I was denied and had to leave a puddle for them.

Did you not wear diapers during your pregnancy then?

I've noticed this more often since the pandemic started. Even now, most bathrooms haven't been open to anyone but employees. I never really noticed it before, but since peeing in public restrooms is so difficult for me to start with I just don't tend to even seek them out unless it's a serious emergency. I have seen other people at stores and such who've appeared a bit desperate and I've overheard people complaining about the lack of toilets.

My partner and I have both had difficulties because of this, he's especially had some very close calls since he's not as used to struggling to pee in public as I am. There is this woodsy park/campground near to where we live, and he once had to stop the car around there and dart deeper into the brush to relieve himself after we'd been out all day with no place for him to pee. Another time he had to stop and go at the side of the road once he found a more empty area. That time was more embarrassing to him since there wasn't much coverage, but the area was pretty deserted so it was okay. I've gotten desperate a few times because the "safe" public restrooms I'm able to pee in pretty easily haven't been available. My worst experience that partially involved this kind of thing was last weekend, where my shy-bladder got extremely locked up and we were denied access to the employee restroom because of the pandemic. 

Edited by segaface (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...