Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

PSA: Don't drink too much water

Hi, this is a PSA. If you're going to do a really long hold, be careful while drinking water. Overhydration is a real issue, it can cause health problems, including: headaches, seizures and muscle weakness. It happens because it causes hyponatremia, low sodium in blood. Drink at max 6 liters of water a day, less if you have low muscle mass or already low sodium in blood.

6 liters = 1,5 gallons

I always keep a bottle of water at my side that I rotate every hour or two to keep it cold but I usually only take a few sips. 1.5 gallons is a tremendous amount for anyone to drink in a single day. Sometimes when I have drank too much in order to do a hold that sometimes makes me feel a little bit weird and I know I have gone too far.

Guest w92iasd

If I remember correctly, there is no set limit on how much a day. Obviously if you experience symptoms of water intoxication you should stop and monitor your condition, but the level of sodium and the amount of water you can drink will vary per person and the person's lifestyle. 

Edited by w92iasd (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

Providing you can manage your salt levels, your kidneys can put about 1.5 litres an hour all day. 

That 'providing' is doing some heavy lifting: don't try this alone, and not even then unless you both know what to monitor and how. 

People with some medical conditions - diabetes insipidus in particular - can manage much higher throughput, all day: but they are very careful about what they do. 

A suggestion: drink a litre of rehydration salts, then a litre of water; the second time you piss, measure it, and drink exactly 75% that amount of water. Next time, 75% that amount of rehydration salts: repeat and keep going if you feel comfortable, stop if you don't. Stop if you ever piss two litres in an hour; skip one drink if you piss a litre and a half. 

See how far you get... 

As far as I know, if you are overall healthy and normal condition, getting hyponatremia is really unlikely, and although it might seem to be originating from an intake of huge amount of liquids, it mostly depends on how your body manages salt levels.

Maybe eat salty snacks while drinking to feel better^^ (or drink/eat anything else which dehydrates your body, tonic drinks, coffee, alcohol)

If you would drink a significant amount of saltwater (more than 5% salt saturation) - well you would throw up probably because of the "wonderfull" taste but hypothetically - you would die of thirst --> this is the opposite effect, too much sodium in your blood.

But the body is used to low sodium water intake, so it can normally easily manage to balance it and keep mineral nutriens in the cells.

11 hours ago, Dunney said:

TVGuy has this nailed. as he usually does with omo matters. He posted some detail earlier about how he keeps his models healthy when they're pissing several times a day for the camera. 2 bottles of water followed by one of an electrolyte mixture of the kind made for athletes..

We also limit how many times we ask a model to pee in the course of a full day shoot- The per-model limit is 8 times, or once an hour.  So we aren't even trying to load them up with fluids to go more than that.  We also don't have them just sit and chug water or other fluids, rather they are constantly drinking something throughout the day, not trying to take in a bunch all at once.

From personal, non-omo related experience, hyponatremia is actual hell. I lost all sense of being able to tell where I was, or what I was doing, everything was hazy, I couldn't stand up. I was utterly miserable, and couldn't think straight. The headache isn't even the worst part. I felt so sick I couldn't eat, and that only exasperated the problem, and my heart beat so fast it felt like it might pop out of my chest. I required serious medical intervention, and was hospitalized for a week just to get my salt levels back to normal, and I came uncomfortably close to suffering permanent brain damage. So please, heed this warning about drinking too much water and nothing else. It can have very dire, unpleasant consequences. 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:52 AM, Dunney said:

TVGuy has this nailed. as he usually does with omo matters. He posted some detail earlier about how he keeps his models healthy when they're pissing several times a day for the camera. 2 bottles of water followed by one of an electrolyte mixture of the kind made for athletes..

You mean like this?

20200511_073729.thumb.jpg.2be3b5db219b4114c34584a351fdac95.jpg

Water poisoning is characterized by low blood sodium. In heavy cases if you only supliment the sodium you'll  run out of potassium and hit adrenaline poisoning, especially if stimulants are involved.

Caffiene isn't usable to treat water poisoning but coffee has electrolytes .

Sports drinks are good.  I make my own to avoid spending so much on sugar. 

I think ashi said something about salad,  I'd add that the name means 'salted' and leafy greens are a good source of electrolytes without a bunch of sugar.

The leafy greens and premade sports are better if you don't know how to make the drink.

21 hours ago, Ninji said:

You mean like this?

20200511_073729.thumb.jpg.2be3b5db219b4114c34584a351fdac95.jpg

Water poisoning is characterized by low blood sodium. In heavy cases if you only supliment the sodium you'll  run out of potassium and hit adrenaline poisoning, especially if stimulants are involved.

Caffiene isn't usable to treat water poisoning but coffee has electrolytes .

Sports drinks are good.  I make my own to avoid spending so much on sugar. 

I think ashi said something about salad,  I'd add that the name means 'salted' and leafy greens are a good source of electrolytes without a bunch of sugar.

The leafy greens and premade sports are better if you don't know how to make the drink.

This seems a bit skimpy on ingredients. 3 kinds of salt? But yes, that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, Dunney said:

This seems a bit skimpy on ingredients. 3 kinds of salt? But yes, that sort of thing.

Skimpy?  These are just the electrolytes pertaining to the discussion. 

Pottassium, sodium, chlorine,  iodine, magnesium and sulfer.

Iodized table salt is the main ingredient, and the only one a healthy non athletic omo fan should focus on.  It features sodium chloride,  and hopefully potassium iodine.  As it turns out the FDA has been taking of us in this regard. 

I add a half gram table salt to liter of clean florida tap in the morning.  I take a couple sips and adjust.

Calcium is over abundant in my diet, but I have a supliment for that too, Tums, they're calcium bicarbonate tablets.

Omorashi isn't a good enough reason to mess with trace electrolytes, they shouldn't change in any meaningful way to risk poisoning over it. 

Edit: It's calcium and phosphorus that are over abundant in my diet.

Electrolyte balence is secured most of the time using salts. These provide a balence of negative and positive ions.

The details are just to (hopefully) prove the validity of my recommendation, and my recommendations for otherwise healthy omo participants is that of sports drinks and leafy greens.  Pedialyte ,gatorade, or iodized table salt if nothing else.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:00 AM, PrincessPeeach said:

This sounds horrible and very scary. If you feel comfortable sharing, how did you come to be in such a situation? I always had the impression that this was very rare and not likely to happen to a healthy person in the course of any normal activities. Scary. 

What happened to me is very much not a common circumstance, and I am aware of it, although I have heard of perfectly healthy people causing hyponatremia in themselves in a very similar manner that I did. I am someone who suffers from chronic illness, and am very susceptible to problems related to my inability to absorb nutrients and water from my food like the average healthy person can. I got dehydrated, and in my efforts to rehydrate myself before I got too sick (because I've previously suffered complications from dehydration), I overcompensated on the water, and flushed out what few salts I had in my bloodstream, leading to hyponatremia. Since then, I have had a more reasonable steady intake mixing up sports drinks and water to better compensate for my dehydration issue, without risking the other extreme of too much water.