Sign In

I Modified "Melissa Explains It All"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post became quite long, if you just want to know about the changes and stuff you can skip pretty much everything that is not bold or quoted So I recently came across the old Melissa Explains

As mentioned before I have still been working on this, so here is the next update There is still a lot of things that can be changed. Also I still need to properly figure out the scenes with th

Once again skip ahead if you don't want to know the details Aight, here it is, the next update. I'm afraid it isn't really much, despite me actually putting a lot of work into it.  Thing is I mai

Posted Images

Aight, I made that walkthrough. Thing is I wanted it to be more than just a quick and dirty walk-through, I want to properly explain how the game works. And then have a walkthrough. But really that's a lot of work and will take a while so I decided to just release the live version with the quick and dirty walkthrough and I'll just add stuff when I feel like it. I imagine you lot to be fine with that plan.

Here's the link to the google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D3r04OYIoaYdjFwsYrvtN9Vm0lEEVNyJWWrrTqIb9iY/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by ForgetAboutMe (see edit history)
Guest tortoise

That walkthrough is pretty great admittedly, it’s really nice to see all the paths. You must’ve worked so hard on this, man! What!

I never understood the ending of the game either (losing if she doesn’t feel desperate and (if I remember right) if she pees during. I mean they both still feel like wins to me. xD 

I never knew you could pee too. I mean not you specifically 😂 but your character! Is that new or something I totally blanked on?

10 hours ago, tortoise said:

That walkthrough is pretty great admittedly, it’s really nice to see all the paths. You must’ve worked so hard on this, man! What!

I never understood the ending of the game either (losing if she doesn’t feel desperate and (if I remember right) if she pees during. I mean they both still feel like wins to me. xD 

I never knew you could pee too. I mean not you specifically 😂 but your character! Is that new or something I totally blanked on?

Oh yeah, if you let her up to go during it you lose as well, I forgot about that. Honestly, I'm probably going to tweak the win conditions sometime in the future.

The option for the player to pee is indeed a new one (except for during the drinking game that was a thing already). It was intended to be in there by the original developer but they never got around to it. There already was a little ground work for it because of the drinking game but not much, so I didn't do it completely from scratch.

Guest tortoise
12 hours ago, ForgetAboutMe said:

Oh yeah, if you let her up to go during it you lose as well, I forgot about that. Honestly, I'm probably going to tweak the win conditions sometime in the future.

The option for the player to pee is indeed a new one (except for during the drinking game that was a thing already). It was intended to be in there by the original developer but they never got around to it. There already was a little ground work for it because of the drinking game but not much, so I didn't do it completely from scratch.

That’s really interesting! Oooh, sounds like so much fun ❤️ 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, Markj9494 said:

Sure thing. Here is the expansion, adds 3 new women and scenarios to go through.

Expansion.zip 101.89 kB · 114 downloads

Is it me or does this not work correctly? Looking at the code, the first of the three new scenarios should have the option to collect a few items right at the start, which doesn't show up. Also, the third scenario (in the club) seems to be stuck.

3 minutes ago, Pastafari said:

Is it me or does this not work correctly? Looking at the code, the first of the three new scenarios should have the option to collect a few items right at the start, which doesn't show up. Also, the third scenario (in the club) seems to be stuck.

It's been a while since I played around with it, so I might be wrong. But if I remember correctly the first scenario works as intended, it actually has a really interesting feature for getting those items. But yeah I remember there was an scenario somewhere that just got stuck in a permanent loop. Might be that one. I'd have to look at both again to know for sure

1 hour ago, ForgetAboutMe said:

It's been a while since I played around with it, so I might be wrong. But if I remember correctly the first scenario works as intended, it actually has a really interesting feature for getting those items. But yeah I remember there was an scenario somewhere that just got stuck in a permanent loop. Might be that one. I'd have to look at both again to know for sure

./geralt_HMM

Of course, now I'll have to stay up till I figure this out!

9 minutes ago, Pastafari said:

./geralt_HMM

Of course, now I'll have to stay up till I figure this out!

Know the feeling, you just gotta know how it works. Also checked it real quick and I definitely remember the thing about the first scenario correctly. Not going to check the other one because that's just a pain. Took me a while to figure out how it worked as well, at first also thought it was broken. And then I was actually impressed on what they did.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, ForgetAboutMe said:

Know the feeling, you just gotta know how it works. Also checked it real quick and I definitely remember the thing about the first scenario correctly. Not going to check the other one because that's just a pain. Took me a while to figure out how it worked as well, at first also thought it was broken. And then I was actually impressed on what they did.

Ok, I'm quite sure there was a small error in the Expansion html file I downloaded from that post on 7/12/2020. In the function "startex", the call to choice for girlname==Trish read like this:
       cx("pickuptrish", "I think I'm ready.", "stufftrish", "Oh wait! There's something else...");
But cx doesn't allow more than one option in one go, so that only the first one ("I think I'm ready") shows up at the start. It should actually be two separate calls:
       cx("pickuptrish", "I think I'm ready.");
       cx("stufftrish", "Oh wait! There's something else...");
Fixed that, now the second option properly show up at the start.

2 hours ago, Pastafari said:

Ok, I'm quite sure there was a small error in the Expansion html file I downloaded from that post on 7/12/2020. In the function "startex", the call to choice for girlname==Trish read like this:
       cx("pickuptrish", "I think I'm ready.", "stufftrish", "Oh wait! There's something else...");
But cx doesn't allow more than one option in one go, so that only the first one ("I think I'm ready") shows up at the start. It should actually be two separate calls:
       cx("pickuptrish", "I think I'm ready.");
       cx("stufftrish", "Oh wait! There's something else...");
Fixed that, now the second option properly show up at the start.

yeah I'm quite sure there isn't an error, really it works as intended. the "oh wait! There's something else..." is not supposed to show up  in the same way as the "I think I'm ready"

Also cx does support 2 options in one go

image.thumb.png.7d3c80e381e3892998feb1b40ffd42d4.png

As you can see there's a function c and a function cx. c does not allow more than one option but cx does. Now if you look further you'll notice that cx is only used in one place.

Yes in the Trish part!

It's a different function, and it's quite special.

(I'm going to explain what cx does in the spoiler, if you want to find it out yourself don't look at it)

Spoiler

What it does is first print out the "I think I'm ready as normal" and then append the "something else" to that String. However if you look at it you'll notice that the descx is put in the container <ax> This is not a native container to html but it's defined somewhere else in the html file. It's at the top.image.png.03b2e7bd1bb9345e1c7cd5312f142e21.png

You'll notice ax has a different text colour than a. This was done on purpose.

What is this colour?

image.png.8f525ec2484ba306eb3a3a24b4609e8b.png

Simple, the exact same background colour as the whole game screen has.

So what cx does is print the "ready" as normal and then prints the "something else" after it invisible. in order to find it, you can highlight it but you can also just hover over it with your mouse, you'll notice that you have a click area that is higher than normal. Aka you can click somewhere you wouldn't expect to be able to.

It is really quite sneaky, but I also really like the idea of it as it basically lets you put effort in "remembering" that you forgot something.

Edited by ForgetAboutMe
apperently grammarly completely messes up spoilers (see edit history)
On 8/9/2020 at 2:18 AM, ForgetAboutMe said:

Yeah, I've actually played it while looking at the code and I still haven't figured out how to beat it. It's surprisingly complex. Will probably spend a bit more time in figuring that out but the code isn't very friendly.

I’ve managed to find one of the win conditions for that game, but there are several unfinished branches, at least in the version I found on here

1 hour ago, Cherylicious said:

Glad to see this being revived. Maybe other text games too can be done? 😄

I am a computer idiot so i dont know what to do to help tho 😞

I mean you can definitely make other stories like this, using the same framework. Al tough I'm rewriting part of that at the moment, though I think I'm through most of it. Just left translating all the scenes to it.

Also one way to help is to just come with ideas. Yes, I do still have many things to do, and I won't run out of ideas and things that need to be fixed anytime soon.

But like for example the playerbladder barely has scenes that implement it and while I have some ideas there aren't a lot (also because I haven't really focused on it yet). Like what do you guys want me to add/fix? What's still missing? Obviously I can't do everything, but getting input from outside would be kinda nice.

50 minutes ago, ForgetAboutMe said:

I mean you can definitely make other stories like this, using the same framework. Al tough I'm rewriting part of that at the moment, though I think I'm through most of it. Just left translating all the scenes to it.

Also one way to help is to just come with ideas. Yes, I do still have many things to do, and I won't run out of ideas and things that need to be fixed anytime soon.

But like for example the playerbladder barely has scenes that implement it and while I have some ideas there aren't a lot (also because I haven't really focused on it yet). Like what do you guys want me to add/fix? What's still missing? Obviously I can't do everything, but getting input from outside would be kinda nice.

I've been looking around the code too. The framework is very elegant, the "story content" functions are very readable, and since I'm still planning to learn a bit of Javascript in the future (I'm a scientific programmer myself, working with stuff like Fortran and Matlab) I've already been trying a few little things of my own (just figuring out how the code works, mind, not creating usable new stuff).

Just off the top of my head, a few ideas I'd like to see/try:

- option to turn off the player bladder (not a turn-on at all for me personally, though I appreciate that many people will find it a very cool feature!)

- that said, the option to choose both your own and your date's gender (if you've kept up the work on separating the text content from the functions, this might not actually involve that much rewriting?)

- option to include a description of the degree of wetness of her/your clothing (size of the patch after leaks, slowly drying up after wetting)

- variable time steps (though that's just to satisfy my inner geek, who finds the fact that "driving around aimlessly" and asking "How are you?" both take 5 minutes odd)

Also, I'm interested to see where you're going with the "ditch your date, pick up somebody else" story. It goes against my gentlemanly nature (*ahem*), but then again, so does most of the game (I think my own first five or six dates saw no more action than just kissing!), and that's pretty much the point of interactive fiction, right?

Anyway, I'd love to see where you go with this 😉

Edited by Pastafari (see edit history)

I've been looking around the code too. The framework is very elegant, the "story content" functions are very readable, and since I'm still planning to learn a bit of Javascript in the future (I'm a scientific programmer myself, working with stuff like Fortran and Matlab) I've already been trying a few little things of my own (just figuring out how the code works, mind, not creating usable new stuff).

Yeah, if you ignore the fact that everything isn't grouped together in a sensible way, it's pretty clear what most code does and it's pretty easy to get into. It's just so much.

Honestly, this project is pretty much my first time working with javascript. I've learned a lot through this. I've dabbled in javascript and worked with it a little bit before, but it's pretty much my first time. Not my first time programming mind, I've worked with different languages before.

- option to turn off the player bladder (not a turn-on at all for me personally, though I appreciate that many people will find it a very cool feature!)

Yeah, that's a fair request. Honestly hadn't thought about that, my bad. Considering there are almost no scenes as of yet, just the frame work. It's probably easy to add that. I'm just going to have to figure out how to go about further implementing the scenes.

In the current version imagine just putting the bladder limit in settings to like 10.000 would go a long way as of turning it off, as that would take forever to fill and iirc all scenes involving the playerbladder are triggered based on how much it is filled. Not that I have tested that, but I imagine that being a botched way to turn it off.

You'd only have the line that indicates the status of your bladder, if you really want to you can comment that part of the code. Alternatively you can also just comment out the part of the code that increments the bladder instead of setting the value so high.

Tweaking the player bladder like that though would change the drinking game, you'd always easily win. Which, of course might be what your after, but yeah.

Of course the status bar would still be a thing it'd still show your status, but that's a small issue? Honestly I still need to properly work on the status bar. That is really botched together at the moment. To the point only the standard setting works properly iirc.

that said, the option to choose both your own and your date's gender (if you've kept up the work on separating the text content from the functions, this might not actually involve that much rewriting?)

Yeah this one has been on the books for a long time.  And yeah I've not done that yet because it is a lot of work to do that. I'm as of right now indeed splitting text from the functions. However I have to admit that with the framework I came up with I'm not dealing with variables very elegantly. I'm probably going to keep it like it is though and rework that part later.

But yeah by separating the text, it should become rather easy to add more descriptions of girls/more girls. Which can also become male, obviously.

Thing is if you want to change genders you have to deal with the pronoun game. As of how the game currently is all pronouns and anatomy has been hard written. You'd have to turn every pronoun usage in variables that change depend on the genders you chose.  And that means you have to add a variable to almost every line in the game.

That's probably a bit too much to do using my botched framework. So I'd need to fix that first, but again leaving that for now. Just splitting it on it's own is headache enough. And the framework I currently have should carry me through the splitting. I honestly don't have the patience to deal with fixing the framework, I'm more than ready to be done with the splitting.

Changing your own gender is probably easier though, your gender is mentioned a lot less. And most of the time only in terms of anatomy in dedicated scenes/functions. There would still be some pitfalls I'd imagine. If I were to add the options to change genders I'd probably do the player first.

option to include a description of the degree of wetness of her/your clothing (size of the patch after leaks, slowly drying up after wetting)

hmmm, after splitting the text, I'm trying/hoping to make it possible to add more descriptions to certain things. Among them was the spurting/losing control scenes which and other scenes which don't choose between quotes. I'm hoping to support the choice between a dynamic amount of quotes instead of between the hardcoded 5 that's currently used. Of course, that's not quite what you're asking but it'd be a start.

What you're really asking for is probably about as complex as implementing the playerbladder was I think. You'd also need to figure out a formula to determine how quick it dries which might be a bit complex.

- variable time steps (though that's just to satisfy my inner geek, who finds the fact that "driving around aimlessly" and asking "How are you?" both take 5 minutes odd)

You really went from easy to hard here didn't you? I mean you're right about it being weird. A game tick is 2 minutes, as you might or might not have realized yourself. This means every time you do an action the clock jumps 2 minutes. This means of course, that originally asking "how are you" is 2 minutes, then her answering is also 2 minutes. Which is indeed 4 minutes. This is literally hardcoded in every choice. Which you can see in the function c, it automatically adds a call to the go function when it creates the clickable link. If you want to change that you'd have to make the call to go a lot more locally handled. Basically you have to manually add a call to go in the relevant functions.

That'd be a lot of work. It won't do much for the game experience either I think and yeah. It won't be high on the to-do list.

Alternatively you could probably make a separate choice function, like they did in the expansion and have that

not create a go call. Then call that with the scenes that need to be shorter instead of the original c call. Actually that'd probably be a lot more efficient I think. It would probably require some tweaks to the new framework though.

Also, I'm interested to see where you're going with the "ditch your date, pick up somebody else" story. It goes against my gentlemanly nature (*ahem*), but then again, so does most of the game (I think my own first five or six dates saw no more action than just kissing!), and that's pretty much the point of interactive fiction, right?

Hah yeah. I was actually considering adding a repeat date option. Were you slowly build up attraction and stuff over multiple dates. Honestly I want to tackle the fact that you can have a date for over 48 hours and no one bats an eyelid. If I'm ever going to do that though I'd probably end up with 2 versions as I know lot of people just want the one date thing instead of multiple, but yeah...

I hope you don't mind me rambling about this a bit. Just thought to give the prospects about all of these.