Sign In

I Modified "Melissa Explains It All"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post became quite long, if you just want to know about the changes and stuff you can skip pretty much everything that is not bold or quoted So I recently came across the old Melissa Explains

As mentioned before I have still been working on this, so here is the next update There is still a lot of things that can be changed. Also I still need to properly figure out the scenes with th

Once again skip ahead if you don't want to know the details Aight, here it is, the next update. I'm afraid it isn't really much, despite me actually putting a lot of work into it.  Thing is I mai

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Carrots said:

whats the point of taking her mobile phone when you search her bag? how does that option resolve it's self?

No idea. As far as I know there is nothing you can do with it (and I think I'm a pretty reliable source on that). The option to take the phone was already in the game before I started working on it and I have no idea what the original goal was of taking the phone nor can I come up with any use for it. So yeah.

23 minutes ago, canipee said:

Having played this game to death years ago, alongside the similar game jennydate, I'm excited for an update so well done taking the initiative to breath some new life into the game.  I'm looking forward to having a play around with it.

Ah, I hope you like what I did

11 minutes ago, ForgetAboutMe said:

No idea. As far as I know there is nothing you can do with it (and I think I'm a pretty reliable source on that). The option to take the phone was already in the game before I started working on it and I have no idea what the original goal was of taking the phone nor can I come up with any use for it. So yeah.

Ah, I hope you like what I did

I think the phone was added for the expansions that came afterwards. If im remembering correctly, in the second date scenario you could use it to take photos?

1 minute ago, Markj9494 said:

If you want them I might be able to find the files somewhere on my computer. Although im sure they are on this site too. Might add a lot of extra work to what you have already done though.

Please do. Don't know if I'll do anything with that though because I still have a lot of work to do, but it'd be cool to at least know what it is.

8 hours ago, Markj9494 said:

I think the phone was added for the expansions that came afterwards. If im remembering correctly, in the second date scenario you could use it to take photos?

Hmm after a quick look through the file it appears that the option to steal from her purse wasn't yet implemented in the version the extension was build upon. Though it does have a different implementation concerning a camera for one of the scenarios.

8 hours ago, Markj9494 said:

If you want them I might be able to find the files somewhere on my computer. Although im sure they are on this site too. Might add a lot of extra work to what you have already done though.

From what I think it shouldn't be that much work to import the extension scenarios into the current version I'm working on. I do think it would have to be done carefully though as I did change some parts of the game engine, so there are probably several things that should be considered and checked. I can think of two big issues, one would probably be the player bladder implementation, though it's probably possible to set it up in a way to completely ignore that except for the status bar that is showing it.  The other one would probably be the fact that I've changed the way locations are handled and I imagine that breaks with the extensions, but that shouldn't be that much work to fix.

Also the new way of handling dialogue I'm working on, but that shouldn't break the old way so *shrugs*

Regardless I'm not going to be doing the import, I'll just be focusing on the main game. I might just add a support for extensions, which should make it easier to import extensions. But I'll add that idea on the already pretty long to-do list so don't expect anything from that anytime soon.

1 hour ago, ForgetAboutMe said:

Hmm after a quick look through the file it appears that the option to steal from her purse wasn't yet implemented in the version the extension was build upon. Though it does have a different implementation concerning a camera for one of the scenarios.

From what I think it shouldn't be that much work to import the extension scenarios into the current version I'm working on. I do think it would have to be done carefully though as I did change some parts of the game engine, so there are probably several things that should be considered and checked. I can think of two big issues, one would probably be the player bladder implementation, though it's probably possible to set it up in a way to completely ignore that except for the status bar that is showing it.  The other one would probably be the fact that I've changed the way locations are handled and I imagine that breaks with the extensions, but that shouldn't be that much work to fix.

Also the new way of handling dialogue I'm working on, but that shouldn't break the old way so *shrugs*

Regardless I'm not going to be doing the import, I'll just be focusing on the main game. I might just add a support for extensions, which should make it easier to import extensions. But I'll add that idea on the already pretty long to-do list so don't expect anything from that anytime soon.

Yeah, dont worry about it, I didnt mean to add more on top of what you have done / are doing. Just thought you might be interested in them, even if its just to play them. 

7 hours ago, Skipperjoe said:

How much do you plan on adding to this? And are you taking suggestions ?

I don't really have a concrete plan on how much I'm going to add/change. Mainly I want he game to run smoothly/have all scenes make sense. (and of course no game breaking glitches).  But yeah it's all up in the air. I'll just see how it goes.

Also yeah, I'm taking suggestions. I'd love to get the input of others.

33 minutes ago, LifeIsStrange said:

Is it possible for your date to pee herself during a movie?

Should be possible, yeah. The game does check whether she is in the state where she loses control during the movie. Don't think there is a dedicated scene for her losing control in the theater though, but that isn't news most places don't. Personally I've never had her wet herself during a movie.

Tbh it'd probably be a bit of a challenge to get her to wet during that, it doesn't have a huge time slot so you'd need to plan that well. Actually I think it's the only place in the game you won't have an indefinite amount of time to make her wet. Everywhere else you can stay forever. Huh, didn't realize that earlier.

However I'd say the game probably works against you to make her wet during the movie. Even if you get the timing right you need to convince her not to run to the loo. I think it should just about be possible. I'll try some things and report back.

Edit: yeah, it's definitely possible. but you need to indeed get both the timing right and convince her to hold it, like I mentioned. My advise: have her already bursting once you're in the theater.

Also I just realized that the movie only takes half an hour, that's a bit short for a movie, isn't it? Might want to tweak that a bit.

Edited by ForgetAboutMe (see edit history)
Guest tortoise

Oh wow, the work you’ve put into this is fantastic. I used to play this game to death in my teen years (I remember there was an option to have a picture/gif of some sort of your potential date but it never worked for me - I always had a little ASCII art style animation instead aha!) - I will definitely play around with it again to see the new surprises you’ve put into it! I think my favourite original path was driving to the make-out point (over and over) and then to the movie theatre and getting her to pee in a cup 😛 oh the sweet memories 

I wish you luck with it! Amazing!

2 hours ago, souvikd70 said:

I found a bug. I was desperate to pee at the movie theater. On clicking 'Go to the bathroom', the text came up 'You walk towards the restroom' with no options to continue the game.

I've tried several things in the theater with the player desperate, but I haven't been able to break the game. Are you able to recreate the bug? If so, can you describe exactly what you do to get it. Otherwise can you describe in a bit more about the circumstances in which this bug occurred?

1 hour ago, tortoise said:

Oh wow, the work you’ve put into this is fantastic. I used to play this game to death in my teen years (I remember there was an option to have a picture/gif of some sort of your potential date but it never worked for me - I always had a little ASCII art style animation instead aha!) - I will definitely play around with it again to see the new surprises you’ve put into it! I think my favourite original path was driving to the make-out point (over and over) and then to the movie theatre and getting her to pee in a cup 😛 oh the sweet memories 

I wish you luck with it! Amazing!

I mean the ASCII animation is pretty great, I personally haven't been able to recreate the feel  of it with pictures, but that might just be me. I agree that is a fun one. My favorite one personally is one of the scenes that are a bit harder to find and me fully describing it would kinda give something away.  But it involves you holding her while she goes and... yum 😛 (not blowing my own trumpet here, that scene was in the original game albeit broken)

------

On an unrelated note I'd like to say that I'm going to be changing something vital for the engine(so not game play) in the next update and that might potentially break everything and make the game unplayable. I'm scared it's one of those: "it works fine in testing but in the real world, NOPE!" Well, that's not quite it, but I'll explain more about that once I actually release it. I really hope it works, because it is a lot of work. (again, yay) 

Fortunately if it really doesn't work, the way I go about it should make it somewhat easy to go to change it up a bit if it really doesn't work. Again I'll explain it more once I actually release it.

I've been having some fights with JavaScript on things, and honestly came to the conclusion that JavaScript isn't the best option for the way this game. Well not really, you can pretty much make everything work with it, not without some colorful curses but yeah that's programming for you. Regardless I'm kinda finding myself wanting to go and port to/rewrite it in a different language which might fit a bit better. That is also part of the reason why I've started the splitting up of the single huge file and cleaning up the code a bit etc. (I mean having one file with over 7k lines is reason enough to split it up in my opinion). This should make it easier to go and turn it to a different language.

Thing is I still haven't decided on a language yet also it would mean creating a new user interface and I'm pretty bad at that, also another ton of work etc.

So I have put that plan as a far future plan for now. Current plan is to just fix the game up, have the code cleaned up and have fixed most(if not all) weird scenes. Also have the player bladder fully worked out, yk.

Aka I might go and port the game to a different coding language once it is cleaned up enough.

Also for the next version I've implemented that the game will save your settings between sessions.

And I've reworked the way you add pictures like I mentioned before. Though I'll already say that it will only be the bare backbones of that functionality in the new version, the setting menu is a bit fucked up and allows you to set up things that haven't been implemented yet but I will later.

Again more explanation once I actually release stuff.

Which might still be a while, lot of work to do still. I'm sorry.

Edited by ForgetAboutMe (see edit history)
On 4/6/2020 at 12:41 AM, ForgetAboutMe said:

This post became quite long, if you just want to know about the changes and stuff you can skip pretty much everything that is not bold or quoted

So I recently came across the old Melissa Explains It All game by drw, I've played both the original and the bug-fixed version and I loved it. But I got frustrated when I couldn't reach the end, so instead of just trying all possible combinations, I might've decided to cheat and look in the code to figure out just how to get there.

After being overwhelmed by this beautiful HTML file that contains over 6000 lines of code, I did find what I was looking for and then promptly beat the game, because that is what you do when you spend possible an hour on decrypting code just in order to cheat. 

After beating the game I went through the code a bit more, and started slowly but surely understanding the code behind the game. )I'm not entirely there yet, but I understand like 80% of it at the moment, and I'm sure I can figure out the rest.). I used my newfound knowledge to hit up some of the more obscure scenes.

Honestly some of those scenes are nigh but impossible to reach without physically cheating.

And I stumbled upon a game-crashing bug with a scene after you follow her to the bathroom in the club. So upon discovering that I of course figured out what was causing that and fixed it.

After that I decided to fix the layout as well, so it wouldn't be on only part of the screen but on full screen instead.(It's not perfect, but I'm not great at HTML/CSS)

Anyway, one thing let to another and I just ended up changed a lot of the game, fixing scenes adding stuff. Mainly for myself to be honest. So without fully realizing it, I put a few hours into modifying this game, just for myself. 

I mean I kinda turned those 6000 lines into 7000.....

Anyway, after realizing what I was doing I spend a lot of time contemplating whether I should share it or not, while still editing part of the file.

I mean I'm not exactly an active member here or anything, and I don't really see myself actively posting here in the future if I'm honest.

Anyway, I put of posting this, mainly on the gauge of me wanting to polish it a bit more before sharing, but I lost the fire for now.

I'll probably continue this but I figured I'll just share this.

I hope this is okay, since this isn't my original work. But the last modified version was in 2014 and that was someone else already so.

tl;dr: I sort of accidentally edited "Melissa Explains It All" quite a lot

Aight, so what are the actual changes?:

The version I started off with was inkpawed's 3.2.3

first of the change-log:

I decided to call this 4.0, because I've changed so much. Hope you guys agree with that.

While most of the change-log should be self-explanatory along with the game, I'd like to add some notes:

Layout:

Make-out sessions:

Player Bladder:

The file, I had to zip it because for some reason the site refuses to accept HTML files:

melissa_4_0.zip 76.81 kB · 289 downloads

she not play the pictures

9 hours ago, ellhnas said:

she not play the pictures

I'm not entirely sure exactly what you mean with this. But I'm going to assume you mean the self-inserted pictures. I've explained how that is supposed to work along with examples in some post on the previous page. Might want to check that out and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help say so and please try to be more descriptive of the issue, so I can help.