Sign In

I Modified "Melissa Explains It All"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post became quite long, if you just want to know about the changes and stuff you can skip pretty much everything that is not bold or quoted So I recently came across the old Melissa Explains

As mentioned before I have still been working on this, so here is the next update There is still a lot of things that can be changed. Also I still need to properly figure out the scenes with th

Once again skip ahead if you don't want to know the details Aight, here it is, the next update. I'm afraid it isn't really much, despite me actually putting a lot of work into it.  Thing is I mai

Posted Images

On 4/12/2020 at 6:30 AM, ElBiscuito said:

I'm glad someone else had the idea of keeping this game alive, i have been toying with the idea of doing something with it, would you care if i was to also work on the game?

I suppose with that you mean taking my version and continuing working on it? I definitely won't mind but I'm still actively working on it myself so that might be a bit counterproductive

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for your effort on this! I absolutely love this game and I'm glad you are keeping it alive.

The player's bladder is great for futher ideas and developments - taking away her keys and cellphone as well, but these options have been in the game before your work already if I remember that correctly.

Options for how much money you can take at the start is good for playing around a little in the game - an option for how much she will drink would help at that point as well. I like it the way it is at the moment (some kind of realistic), but more options are always good. 🙂

Another little issue: Is there a problem with bladder capacity in the beginning of the game? No matter which girl I choose, they all have the same capacity (900ml). Just head to the bar after picking her up and buy beers until the bartender tells you how much she can hold. It's always 900ml. And it's the same for all girl, their capacity really is at 900ml. This might get corrected after gazing at the stars at the make-out spot, but it seems as it only gets corrected later in the game. It doesn't correct the value when driving to the make-out spot directly after picking her up, but it seems to do so later in the game. I couldn't really figure it out in the source code so far.

I've already been thinking about trying to develope this on my own, I think I might have some ideas. But I'm pretty poor in describing all those scenes and feelings - not being a native english speaker doesn't help much at that point.. 😉

So I'm really looking forward to further developments, that would be really great!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:29 AM, Hugo04211 said:

The player's bladder is great for futher ideas and developments - taking away her keys and cellphone as well, but these options have been in the game before your work already if I remember that correctly.

Yeah, you could take away her keys and cellphones before I started working on it already. Keys have an obvious use, still hope to find an use for cellphone really. There are so many options with the player bladder though. But that's going to be for later.

Options for how much money you can take at the start is good for playing around a little in the game - an option for how much she will drink would help at that point as well. I like it the way it is at the moment (some kind of realistic), but more options are always good.

Yeah I feel the same about that. Kinda have the main settings be realistic but if people want to abuse the game give them the chance.

Another little issue: Is there a problem with bladder capacity in the beginning of the game? No matter which girl I choose, they all have the same capacity (900ml). Just head to the bar after picking her up and buy beers until the bartender tells you how much she can hold. It's always 900ml. And it's the same for all girl, their capacity really is at 900ml. This might get corrected after gazing at the stars at the make-out spot, but it seems as it only gets corrected later in the game. It doesn't correct the value when driving to the make-out spot directly after picking her up, but it seems to do so later in the game. I couldn't really figure it out in the source code so far.

I'm seeing what you mean. It seems that the bug was already in the game before I started working on it. I somehow never noticed it while going through the game. I'm suspecting there to be a missing call to the update of the urge, but I'm going to have to look into it. It seems that the limit does corectly get updated when choosing the custom girl. I'll probably have that fixed in the next update.

I've already been thinking about trying to develope this on my own, I think I might have some ideas. But I'm pretty poor in describing all those scenes and feelings - not being a native english speaker doesn't help much at that point..

I mean your English is pretty great, I'm not a native speaker myself so *shrugs*

So I'm really looking forward to further developments, that would be really great!

That's great to hear. I don't know when I'll post something again, though.

• 5 weeks later...

Once again skip ahead if you don't want to know the details

Aight, here it is, the next update. I'm afraid it isn't really much, despite me actually putting a lot of work into it.  Thing is I mainly worked on the back-end(the behind the scenes part), part of the program and not on the game play.  Since this game is so old it contained a lot of deprecated methods, which if you don't know basically means that it contained a lot of code that is no longer supported by browsers. So yeah I went through the whole file fixing issues like that.

Unfortunately this means that I had to remake the layout of the game as some of the style declarations used were deprecated as well. I tried to make it look nice, but honestly I'm terrible with CSS and HTML and I had to give up on getting it how I wanted before I started to cry. I might try again in the future, though a complete redesign of the layout of the game isn't a bad idea either I think, I mean it sports the typical design for 2008 and yeah. Unfortunately design is definitely not my strong suit so I doubt I will make that happen. Pls don't kill me for having potentially destroyed this game.

Another sacrifice for code clean-up is that I changed it from being one HTML file only. But honestly keeping a single file with about 7000 lines of code is just not something you want. (For frame of reference I'd say a normal a4 page is about 50 lines). Especially not one that seems to be as much of a disorganized chaos as this is. I honestly suspect a lot of these methods were added like "Oh damn I forgot about this let me just add it somewhere not caring about placement." which tbh is a mood.

So yeah I'm gong to be focusing on splitting the big file up in smaller files, atm only a small chunk(only 500 lines....) of the quotes have been separated as a bit of a demo. Honestly the way dialogue is handled in this is painful, unfortunately dialogue handling isn't something I exactly have experience in, but I'm sure this is not the way to go.  Really about half the file is cluttered with extremely long lines of dialogue. I think I might want to play around with JSON files for dialogue but I'd have to look into that, I've only ever been taught some of the basics of JSON files and not in combination with JavaScript, and that was about a year ago.

*Tweaked the chance of spurting instead of fully wetting
*Fixed a game breaking bug in the drinking game
*Changed the chance she'll hold it if you ask when she's desperate
*Code cleanup
*Fixed the bug were bladder-limits weren't updated when choosing a preset girl
*Fixed that you still drink soda even if you're tummy is full
*Fixed the bug where she only asks for the bar, all the time
*First start on splitting the code into multiple files
*Changed the way stats are handled to be a bit more elegant
*Replaced all deprecated code
*Changed lost attraction if you make her drink while desperate
*Fixed that the wrong dialogue appears when you lose control during the drinking game
*Changed end-scenes for the drinking game
*You can now keep buying drinks in a row.

There is a bit more I changed but adding it to the change-log could give things about the game away so I'm keeping that quiet. Just go and find it yourself 😉

On the buying things in a row: I actually want to add an option to have the player choose how much they want to buy, upon entering the buy menu. But that is a bit of work to implement. So this is only temporary how it will be implemented.

On the layout: As mentioned above, yes I'm aware it looks worse than before. But for the reasons mentioned before I had to change it.

Also I haven't tested everything 100%, if you come across any bugs please do tell.

Unlike last times, there is no single HTML file. The zip file contains a folder with everything you need. Extract this and open Melissa_4_2.HTML to play the game in your browser.

Melissa_4_2.zip

I should probably start posting this in the download section, I might once I've figured out how that works 😶

Edited by ForgetAboutMe
I forgot to add the files to the zip 😬 (see edit history)
8 hours ago, Zuorsara said:

How to you add your own pictures to this? I've been fiddling around in notepad and devtools but I don't have the technical knowledge to find the directory and add GIF images

If you go to options at images you can choose JPG. Next to it is a clickable button with an explanation on how it is done (but honestly looking at it it might be a bit technical if you don't know how the format they are referring to works). I didn't actually add a dedicated folder for images to the zip I provided. Basically what you want to do is create a new folder called imgs in the main folder(Melissa_4_2) in that folder you want to create folders named after the girls. In that folder you put the gifs following the naming convention given in that explanation. I imagine it works for custom girl names as well, but I haven't checked. I haven't worked with the picture support at all, only have seen glances of it when looking at different part of the code so I know a bit of how it is done. 

I hope this helps, if not say so.

17 hours ago, ForgetAboutMe said:

If you go to options at images you can choose JPG. Next to it is a clickable button with an explanation on how it is done (but honestly looking at it it might be a bit technical if you don't know how the format they are referring to works). I didn't actually add a dedicated folder for images to the zip I provided. Basically what you want to do is create a new folder called imgs in the main folder(Melissa_4_2) in that folder you want to create folders named after the girls. In that folder you put the gifs following the naming convention given in that explanation. I imagine it works for custom girl names as well, but I haven't checked. I haven't worked with the picture support at all, only have seen glances of it when looking at different part of the code so I know a bit of how it is done. 

I hope this helps, if not say so.

I used WinRAR to open it. The only things I get is the actual HTML document for melissa_4_2 and a single folder called scripts, which contains the animation and quotes java files, which I can't open. I've created a folder called imgs but obviously I can't name the folders for each girl like it says in the panel because Windows 10 prevents certain symbols from being used to name stuff, such as "/", so I can't name a folder ./images/Karen/ for example

I've tried messing around with folders and names and stuff but nothing works. I'm totally lost at the moment

5 hours ago, Zuorsara said:

I used WinRAR to open it. The only things I get is the actual HTML document for melissa_4_2 and a single folder called scripts, which contains the animation and quotes java files, which I can't open. I've created a folder called imgs but obviously I can't name the folders for each girl like it says in the panel because Windows 10 prevents certain symbols from being used to name stuff, such as "/", so I can't name a folder ./images/Karen/ for example

I've tried messing around with folders and names and stuff but nothing works. I'm totally lost at the moment

Okay, first of all, the way that zip file is set up is that when you open it/extract it. You'll get the single folder called Melissa_4_2. In that folder you indeed have the HTML document, a file called style.css and the scripts folder.  Furthermore Windows 10 indeed doesn't accept "/ ". You don't need to call a folder that.

Aight, so the idea is that you make a new folder called images, kinda like the scripts folder. Then you go in that folder and make a new folder, this folder should be called the name of the girl. So for example Karen.

That should be enough but if not I'm going to try and give a quick (and dirty) explanation of the naming convention given  (which I really should change to be clear for everyone, but I'm going to rework the images support anyway) and see if that helps. I know this might be a bit too technical, but I feel like it could help.

"./imgs/Karen" is a so called file path, basically this is what computers use to find files. The "/", a separator, basically means that you go down a folder(going down in the hierarchy of folders). The "." it starts of with basically means the main folder where the program is located, in this case that would be "Melissa_4_2" then you get a separator followed by the folder you want to go into. Basically the file path gives you directions.

For example, as a visual aid, the file-path to animation.js is: "./scripts/animation.js". You start in the main folder, then the file paths directs you to go into the scripts folder and then directs you to animation.js which file needs to be opened

Now the program will open the images in the same way as the scripts with the filepath for example being ./imgs/Karen/pixnorm.gif. So the program will start in the main folder(melissa_4_2) then opens the folder called "imgs", then opens the folder called "Karen" and then opens the file "pixnorm.gif"

Edited by ForgetAboutMe (see edit history)

I've done exactly what you said, but it doesn't run propertly (tells me the pic doesn't exist when I use devtools to find the image). Apparently I need to turn off controlled folder access, which requires microsoft real-time protection to be on, which can't be done on a computer with antivirus such as AVG. Temporarily turning AVG off does nothing

I'm kinda hesitant to turn off all my antivirus so the program can get access to my folders, but maybe there's another way to do this?

1 hour ago, Zuorsara said:

I've done exactly what you said, but it doesn't run propertly (tells me the pic doesn't exist when I use devtools to find the image). Apparently I need to turn off controlled folder access, which requires microsoft real-time protection to be on, which can't be done on a computer with antivirus such as AVG. Temporarily turning AVG off does nothing

I'm kinda hesitant to turn off all my antivirus so the program can get access to my folders, but maybe there's another way to do this?

I'm honest to god at a loss of what you're even trying to do.

I decided to make an example, see if you can see the example pics I put in there (only text). And if so you can copy what I did and replace the imgs etc.

Melissa_4_2_picExample.zip

Edited by ForgetAboutMe (see edit history)

I copy and replaced all the images with alternate GIF images and it worked for about a second then the error message popped up again

Weirdly it worked with your images, but as soon as I replaced them it stopped working again, even though the dimensions and file type were the same. I kinda thinking of giving up, but thanks for your patience. 

EDIT: Turns out I had to wait quite a while for the changes to kick in. It actually works now even if it was a little weird at first. I'm extremely thankful for your patience and ability to explain things. I hope what you've shown me helps other people who have these sorts of problems

Edited by Zuorsara (see edit history)

Aight I have started with that redesign for the picture system I mentioned. Not solely because it became a topic  before.  But because I have implemented something else which required me to do something that completely breaks the current picture system. So yeah redesigning that got priority , it is the only things that completely broke after all.

Now I got an idea on how I want to do this but because I might find things obvious some of you might not I'd like some opinions.

I created a small demo on how the setup page for pictures would look like and I'd like to know whether this could be workable for users.

In the end-product the page should get a explanation, but for now I'll give it here:

The idea is that you select the girl you want to set a picture for, then select the type of image you want to change for that girl (the images are labelled on the state of her bladder in case you hadn't guessed.)

If the selected girl-imgtype combination already has a url set to it, it will be called upon selecting and shown in the text-field while the picture will be shown at it's normal place.

In the text field you can paste the img-url and when you click on update the picture will be shown and stored for the chose girl+imgtype.

Now in the demo the url won't be stored but the picture will be shown.  This also means that a stored url can't be called either, instead when you make a selection your selection will appear as text in the text field.

I am thinking of changing the options into two drop-down menu's instead of this which would include all set custom names with an option to add more names but yeah.

What I'm asking you to do is to play around with  the demo and see if you can have a picture appear, any feedback would be appreciated.

picdemo.zip

You should be able to use your own image-urls but I used this one in my testing of the demo: https://i.postimg.cc/RC8g52fB/pixlose.gif

Oh before anyone is going to complain about this meaning that you would have to constantly set up the urls, I've also implemented  something that should allow the users to keep their settings in between sessions it appears to work but it does need more testing. But yeah that shouldn't be an issue

2 hours ago, Glocky said:

on version 4.2 I do not see my statistics (bladder and others) how to see it ?

Well, this should be viewable without doing anything. It not showing is an issue. I can't easily say what causes this. Could you maybe describe the issue a bit more. Like is there no status bar at all or is it just not containing anything. Also which browser are you using to open the file?

1 hour ago, Glocky said:

I no longer see the bar at all and otherwise I'm on Chrome

Hmm, my first though is it being a resolution issue, that it is there but it just appears off the screen. Honestly it's a bit difficult to say without me being able to recreate it on my end.

I did a quick change on this file putting the bar slam in the middle of the screen, can you see whether it will show up like that? If it doesn't could you give a bit more information about the device your running this on?

balktest.zip

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:39 PM, ForgetAboutMe said:

Yeah for me as well, thing is Chrome works fine for me as well.

Only browser I tested that isn't fine is Internet Explorer, which actually doesn't show the bar for me. But that's internet explorer for you, I'm not about to hunt that problem down.

Are you going to be constantly updating this? haha