Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

male and female Adderall enduced bedwetting?

Ok, no judgement, but on occasion I have taken one of my wife’s adderall in the late afternoon / early evening if Im starting to power down and need to keep going. Last night, for example, she was working until 10:30 and wanted me to meet her out for some karaoke 🎤 after work. I was ready to get in bed at 8, so she tells me to take one of her pills and make it out, cause we aren’t gonna have another chance for a long time since she switches to an overnight shift starting next week.  So, we make it out, have fun, we each have 2 drinks, single whiskey and cokes for me, vodka crans for her.  Come home, crash, wake up soaked (just me of course).  Talk to the wife about it some and we realize that the 4 or 5 times I’ve taken an adderall, each time I wet the bed overnight. 

For some background, I did have random occasional bedwetting as I was a kid, but nothing more often than 2-3 nights in the span of 6 months. It would usually happen back to back, or three times in a row, then it would go away. Stopped by about 8 or 9 if I remember correctly. As an adult, over drinking has caused some accidental wet nights, but that’s only if I’ve really overdone things, and I haven’t been doing that since I closed out my 20’s anyways.  The 2 single whiskeys that I had last night are definitely not enough to be the cause, although I suppose it didn’t help. 

Anyways, checked the ol interwebs and it looks like bedwetting can be a more rare side effect of adderall use. Was curious if anybody here had any experience with that or know more than I do?

I have had a prescription on-and-off since I was about nine and I'm 31. I have never noticed any kind of urinary urgency or diuretic effect while awake or bed wetting from it. I have only wet the bed once in my whole life (off Adderall), so I may not be particularly susceptible. I'm sure this side effect has been reported, but increases in sympathetic tone tend to cause urinary retention/constipation. Decreased perfusion of the kidney or glomerular apparatus does reliably decrease urinary output, but I wouldn't expect vasconstrictive effects potent enough at therapeutic doses, especially in absence of some hypertensive urgency.  Now, Vyvanse ( which is still dextroamphetamine but instead of a mixed-salt delayed absorption mechanism, it uses lysine amide which apparently gets hydrolyzed like a protein in the liver) it actually did cause me to have some urinary pain/urgency! I imagine it would if I would if I took it again.  I can't propose a mechanism. I know one person who told me they had the same experience. Go with your gut, if you strongly suspect something is happening it probably is.

• 2 weeks later...

Stimulants, which I’ve been off and on for 3 years now, can cause post-void dribbling in me. I think I have something wonky with my pelvic floor muscles, and such stims can kinda cause you to tense up.

Alcohol instantly causes a lot of weird sensations in my urinary tract. It feels like I have to pee somewhat immediately, and I think it’s because it’s relaxing muscles that I have chronically tensed. I guess I nearly took that anal retention thing a bit literally.