Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

An interactive fantasy-themed tale

Hi guys, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper long time lurker here, like. suuuuper duuuper long... I've always enjoyed interactive stories and there's some really solid ones here, so I thought I'd apply my writing skills and write one myself. To preface this, I don't see omo as a super sexual thing, it's much more of a fascination or obsession to me if that makes sense. For that reason, this story won't feature anything explicitly sexual. There will also be no romance between the characters, though they will become good friends (I might change my mind on this, but as it stands I just don't see any combination of the three as an opportunity for romance). If there's any weirdly specific scenario you'd like to see that you think might fit well in this story, please tell me in a comment and I might include it! I love writing new things, and I love pleasing people! I also am an artist so I may do the occasional illustration, depending on how motivated I am or what the scene is.

All three characters will be very relevant to the story, they're all equally main characters in my mind, but if there's a specific one of them you'd like the story to focus on, vote in this poll! If there's an overwhelming demand for one character I may decide to focus on them, but otherwise, the story will be written in third-person and will encompass all three, only focusing on individuals depending on the flow of the story. I understand that there seems to be more of a demand for female content here, but I really like all these characters and really want to enjoy writing this, hence my decision to focus on all three.

Also, I included a nonbinary character as well as a male and female, to cover all my bases and also because I myself am nonbinary. As far as their below-the-waist situation goes, well, that's up to you! I'll be writing it in an androgynous manner on purpose.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Premise 

A group of misfits team up to break their curses, given to them by a cruel spirit. It’s a months-long journey to get to the dreaded woods where the spirit resides, and they encounter many obstacles along the way. They must first venture through the golden forest, a dense forest filled with trees several hundreds of feet high, where the mischievous birdfolk live. They must then cross the desolate plains, a seemingly endless field of tall grass where dangerous creatures lurk in silence. They eventually will travel across a river, over a mountain, and through a bustling city before they finally reach their destination. Will they be able to break their curses?

...Or will their curses break them?

Characters 

Cyrus (20) is a timid young faun. Their curse involves their muscles involuntarily locking up at inopportune moments, leaving them unable to move at all, other than speaking. 

They are very shy, but they know to speak up when it counts. Back home, they have a hard time being taken seriously, due to their small stature and quiet disposition. They also become embarrassed very easily, even at the smallest things.

Their bottom half is that of a cream colored fallow deer, complete with a curled tail and cloven hooves. Their top half is typical of a human; they are flat chested and have pale skin dotted with freckles. They have green eyes and a head full of fluffy brown hair, topped by a pair of pointed deer ears.

Their magic abilities aren’t very advanced, but they can, with some difficulty, communicate small thoughts to wild animals and understand their replies. They can also become invisible for short periods of time, though it sometimes fails.

Roselie (23) is a brave elven girl. She is cursed with sudden muteness that strikes at random moments, typically when she needs to speak the most. She is very fierce and has a confidence that surprises everyone she meets. She has practically no shame, and is willing to do just about anything to get what she wants.

She is of average height. She is not rail thin like you might expect, but not overweight, either. She has fair skin and straight strawberry blonde hair that’s chopped off right above her shoulders. Her ears are pointed, as is typical for elves, and she has piercing golden eyes.

Her magic is fairly well developed, but she’s still a novice. She’s mainly practiced medical magic - for example, she can heal small injuries i.e a small cut or bruise. She can also raise or lower a person’s body temperature by a few degrees.

Angelo (25) is a determined and protective centaur. He is cursed with chronic dehydration, and is almost always parched. He is a bit arrogant and tends to put his pride above practicality, but he knows when to knock it off. He has very little patience and hates to be kept waiting. While he is prideful, he isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty and embarrass himself a little if the situation calls for it.

His horse half is a classic reddish-brown bay, with black points and white socks on all four legs. His tail is a deep black, matching the curly hair on his head. He’s well built thanks to his athletic practices - archery, specifically. He has dark brown eyes and tan skin. 

He has no magical abilities - his skills are physical. He is well trained in archery and has excellent aim. He is also extremely fast, thanks to his hooves and endurance training. His legs are very powerful and are his first line of defense.

Other notes 

- Since they will be journeying through wilderness for the majority of this story, actual toilets may not appear very often. The characters will all handle this reality differently.

- Centaurs and fauns don’t wear clothes over their horse half. This could be considered convenient - or very, very, very inconvenient. It’s not easy to hide an accident when there’s nothing covering it up, you know.

- Bodily functions, particularly bathroom related ones, are somewhat more taboo in this universe. Since magic is so prevalent, most skilled people simply magic their waste away, for the sake of convenience. Needing to ‘go’ is particularly embarrassing, since not everyone does it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

There's the basics for you, I may just turn this into a fiction work if there's no response here, but I love the idea of an interactive story and I've alwaaaays wanted to do one, so I hope there's some response! I will begin working on the first 'chapter' right away, so for now if you want to comment, just throw some ideas at me that you think would be fun or interesting in this universe. (I hope it's alright to make this post solely information and the single poll, I didn't want to include the first chapter and the information in the same post. Thanks for reading!)

On 2/8/2020 at 9:26 PM, Mandymom said:

I’ve made a couple interactives in the past, actually, they never get off the ground, though. But this sounds interesting 🙂

Thanks! It seems like quite the undertaking, but I'm hoping I can stay on top of things and make this worthwhile.

With that said, here's the first (albeit small...) update. Future updates will be much longer, rest assured. I also drew Cyrus and Angelo! I was going to draw Rosalie but I couldn't be bothered, and I have a much more difficult time drawing girls. I mostly draw animals so drawing anything humanoid is foreign and awkward, but I thought I'd give these two a go. Anyways, here's this...

Today’s the day, Angelo thought to himself, excited out of his mind. 

He’d been suffering with this miserable curse for months, trying day after day to convince himself to just live with it. So what, I just have to drink a little more often than usual… At least I can still speak and move my legs, he’d thought aloud countless times, but he was going absolutely mad after so many nights of waking up every hour of the night to drink from the creek. It was a ridiculous curse, to feel dehydrated nearly all the time. It wasn’t real dehydration, of course, only the illusion of it, the feeling… But it was annoying as hell, regardless. He was needing to relieve himself about ten times as often as he normally would, even with his large bladder. He often found himself having to excuse himself mid-conversation to trot off to a stream or patch of tall grass. To say it was annoying would be an understatement. 

But today marked the beginning of his journey, one that would hopefully end with his curse being broken. His herd had gotten in contact with others in the village who were concerned for their cursed friends - surprisingly, there were only two others suffering with supernatural afflictions. It was no mystery where their curses came from. Nearly two moons had passed since a violent spirit wreaked havoc on their small village, setting fires and knocking over barrels in its path. It refused to leave for almost a week before the most talented witches and magicians were able to chase it off with their clever spells. Clearly, though, it didn’t want to be forgotten… So Angelo, and two mysterious others, were left with residual curses. 

I’m actually quite lucky, he thought as he made his way to the outer edges of the village, hooves tapping the cobblestone streets. They were to meet at sunrise and prepare for the journey, and he didn’t want to be late. My curse is so mild compared to theirs… at least I can still walk and talk as I please. He’d heard that his to-be friends weren’t so lucky, but he wasn’t sure of the details.

It was a short walk to the meadows that surrounded the village, and he was surprised to see that he wasn’t the first arrival. There was a girl sitting in the grass under an oak tree, sharpening a stick to a point. She seemed familiar, but they’d never introduced themselves to one another. As he walked closer he could see pointed ears sticking out through her hair. An elf.

“Er - hello,” he greeted her. She looked up from her whittling to meet his eyes, and gave a curious hum. 

“I didn’t think a centaur would be tagging along,” she said. “I guess it makes sense as a safety measure… Wait - you are here for the, you know, the trip, right?”

Angelo wasn’t sure what to make of her assumptions. A safety measure? “Uh, right… I’m actually suffering from a curse as well though.”

The girl’s golden eyes narrowed. “That’s strange, don’t centaurs have a natural resistance against curses?”

“I wouldn’t know, I’ve never been magically inclined…” Angelo rubbed the back of his neck. He was certainly an outlier for his lack of magical abilities, and while it never bothered him much, he felt very put on the spot.

“Huh. What’s your name, anyway?”

“Angelo.”

“I’m Rosalie,” she said simply before getting back to the sharpening of the stick. “...And your curse?”

“It’s not as awful as yours must be,” he prefaced. He didn’t want to seem like a complainer, especially when she might have it worse. “I’m just thirsty - like, all the time. It’s very frustrating, but it’s not a real thirst, it’s just a compulsion. What’s yours?”

“That’s an odd one,” she observed. “My mouth closes up when I’m trying to talk sometimes. It seems to happen at the worst moments, too. I haven’t been able to figure out the pattern, but it definitely seems to happen when I need to speak the most.”

“That’s much worse than mine,” Angelo mused. “What about our third companion?”

“Dunno, but I guess we’ll find out. They should be here by now.”

As if on a cue, a clumsy faun came bounding through the grass towards them, nearly tripping over their own legs. “I’m here! I’m here, sorry I’m late, I was… well, it doesn’t matter now, but I’m here.” They doubled over and caught their breath before continuing. “I’m Cyrus, by the way… You guys are here for the curse thing, right?”

Angelo nodded, amused at the faun’s fumbling words, while Rosalie burst into laughter. “I’m the only human here? Really?”

The faun, still huffing and puffing from the run, twitched an ear. “You’re not quite human either.”

“Elf, human, close enough!”

“I don’t see why our species matters,” Angelo chimed in, feeling only slightly offended. He took a long sip of water from the canteen he’d learned to carry around. “It may be advantageous. Most people can't outrun a horse.”

“I know, I know,” the elf said, still giggling a little. “It’s just funny, but I’m used to being the odd one out. Not a lot of elves in this village, ‘ya know… What’s your curse?”

“Oh, me?” Cyrus wrung their hands and looked around. “I kind of get frozen in place sometimes… like a statue, but I’m able to talk still. It’s like my muscles just… freeze up. It only happens when I’m in a hurry, and it’s terribly annoying.”

“Seems like we all have rather inconvenient ailments,” Rosalie observed. “Anyways, we should get down to business. We’re losing daylight here.”

There was a murmur of agreement as Cyrus fumbled in their bag and pulled out a crumpled map. “My, um, mom gave this to me, I thought it was stupid but maybe it’ll help…”

The map looked to be very old, but was filled with details and helpful notes. “Dude, where’d you even get this?” Rosalie quirked an eyebrow at the faun, who only shrugged. 

Angelo folded his legs under him and laid in the grass to get a better view of the map. “This is fantastic, there’s no way we’ll get lost with this. I figured we’d be going in blind…” His sentence tapered off as he curled his legs further into himself. He drank an abnormal amount of water from the stream near his home before he’d left, and was beginning to feel its effects. It’d be a while before it became an issue, thankfully.

They discussed the map for a while, jotting down the best areas to set up camp along the way. The conversation eventually moved onto the topic of supplies - the journey would take multiple days, eight at best, and possibly more than that. They had to be well prepared in terms of food and clothing. Since the entire village knew of their journey, they were given full access to the storage barn and told to take anything they needed, within reason.

The three of them had relatively large backpacks that they filled primarily with food and water. Rosalie packed a stack of linens and blankets in the bottom of her pack, and Angelo brought an extra quiver of arrows - just in case - while Cyrus grabbed a scarf and coat for the colder areas. After they had the essentials, they sorted through boxes to find any additional items that might come in handy. They discovered a few odds and ends - more blankets, some rope, a rusty axe, all typical things, until they uncovered something surprising: a dusty box of cloth diapers.

“Well, we won’t be needing those,” Angelo laughed a little as he started to close the box, but Rosalie stopped him.

“You might not, having four legs and all, but they might be useful. I mean, we aren’t gonna find many toilets out in the wilderness.”

He gave her a funny look. “Can’t you just… go in the grass?”

“Sure, but what about in the mountains? I’m not gonna pull my pants down in the snow, I’m not trying to catch frostbite here.”

The centaur twisted his face up in thought. It had never been a problem for him, he couldn’t imagine holding it just because it’s cold, or because there’s no toilet nearby. It was one of the perks of being half-horse. Of course, he valued his privacy and would never choose to relieve himself out in the open - he always found a secluded area. He didn’t know much about the bathroom practices of two-legged folk, but he did know it was considered inappropriate to have an accident in your pants, which didn’t seem far off from wearing a diaper. It’s basically absorbent underwear, hardly a difference from soiling your trousers.

Rosalie seemed to read his mind. “I dunno, just a thought.” She turned to Cyrus, who was sitting on a barrel listening quietly. “What do fauns do about these things? Do you guys have bathrooms, or…?”

“Oh, uh, well…” They stuttered, flustered by the question. “It’s - we, uh, we do have toilets in our houses, if that’s what you mean…”

“You don’t just go outside?” Angelo seemed surprised. “You don’t wear pants, so why not?”

Cyrus’s cheeks turned pink and they averted their eyes. “Some of us do, but I prefer a toilet… It’s just… more private, you know…”

“That makes two of us,” Rosalie replied. She wasn’t opposed to popping a squat in the grass, unladylike as it may be, but it wasn’t as convenient as the typical porcelain throne.

All this talk was forcing Angelo to dwell on his increasing need to relieve himself. It normally took a while for him to become so desperate, but he drank so much so quickly, and his bladder was filling at that same pace. He found himself tapping his back leg on the wooden floor when he felt a twinge, but felt awkward about going outside to relieve himself after such a conversation.

The conversation faded away as they continued to examine various items, and discuss if they’d be useful or not. It was mid-morning now, and they needed to leave soon, but they still had a decent amount of room in their packs… They just couldn’t decide on what to take.

VOTE ON THE POLL HERE. (Every 1 person can choose 2 options! You can technically select more than that but please only select 2!)

I'll update this after I get 2 or 3 votes on the poll, or whenever it seems like there won't be another response for a while. As well as voting on the poll, I would really appreciate if you would explain your choices in a comment, or leave some sort of feedback. Again, if you have any ideas for situations / scenarios that would fit into a universe like this, do tell! I'll try to include anything that is suggested. Thanks for reading!

Ooh, this sounds really interesting! Welcome to the site! I'm totally down for helping this take off, if I might make a bird pun.

In all seriousness though, I'm already loving your style of worldbuilding, this story and these characters, their curses- its all a very interesting concept. I'd be fine with following any of these characters, and I hope to help this interactive get going! 🙂

Edited by LittleRaven556 (see edit history)