Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

‘Urinal Ettiquette’?

A Buzzfeed article got me thinking about this:(https://www.buzzfeed.com/sydrobinson1/which-urinal-should-you-really-pee-in)

I’ve heard men talk about how it’s impolite to use the middle urinal, or just generally generally take a leak next to another man— yet they seem very happy to do this outside into bushes. I’m curious about how true and strict these ‘urinal rules’ really are.

I’m also curious about what it’s like being a male into omo when using urinals. (I appreciate there aren’t a massive amount of gay men on this site, so some of you guys might just be trying to ignore the others lol). As women, we’re completely sectioned off from each other and can only hear tinkling sounds. What’s it like actually seeing + hearing a man rush in and take a much-needed piss right next to you? 

(I guess I’m just intrigued by what it’s like in a male bathroom)

My rules are

1. Never use a urinal next to somebody else if there is another one free

2. If there is still a choice after following rule 1 above, choose so that if somebody else comes they can still use a urinal without standing next to someone else

3. Do not talk to others who are peeing

4. Do not fart

5. Do not look at others

6. Do not pee on other people’s shoes.

I have seen all of these rules broken by people, often frequently.

Those who have replied before me have done a good job outlining the “rules” of the urinal; I see only one thing missing: up until like middle school some kids use the urinal ass-out.

This shows how unwritten the rules of the urinal are- nobody told these poor souls that using a urinal is a pants-on event until they had lived more than a decade. 

in terms of omo, using a urinal is nothing special for me; even if I was into guys I think I could compartmentalize because it’s such a public space. It’s so normalized.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, OPencil said:

A Buzzfeed article got me thinking about this:(https://www.buzzfeed.com/sydrobinson1/which-urinal-should-you-really-pee-in)

I’ve heard men talk about how it’s impolite to use the middle urinal, or just generally generally take a leak next to another man— yet they seem very happy to do this outside into bushes. I’m curious about how true and strict these ‘urinal rules’ really are.

There wouldn't be a need for such rules if they just installed fucking dividers between the urinals. Seriously. I only ever use urinals if they have dividers or there is absolutely no one else in the restroom. 

Life is p a i n.