Sign In

Sword Art Online: of Death Games and Diapers

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, yeah… this happened. This idea is a fair bit more tame than most of my SAO fic concepts, and it’s almost canon-compliant… but of course, I’ll be adding my own twist to the events of Aincrad, becau

So I’ve been done with chapter six for a while already, but I didn’t want to overload y’all with new content, so I held off a few days before posting this. As a result, my reserve might increase from

I’m in something of a state right now, but I said I’d release a chapter for Thanksgiving, and unlike with my birthday (Veteran’s Day, if you remember the comment I made about it before), I actually re

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Night Rain said:

I wonder if you plan on shipping Argo with Kiriko?

I don't feel like spoiling specific ships just yet, but I can confirm that Argo, Kiriko and Asuna are each in a planned relationship with at least one other character per ship.

4 hours ago, Kiriko said:

Fixed that for you, because everyone knows what is better than just 2.

Funny you should suggest a poly ship, because that is 100% something I intend to incorporate into this fic. It's always been a thing which interests me on some level, so I've been meaning to write a fic with poly ships for ages by now but never got around to doing it xD.

4 hours ago, Darksyn said:

Yuri Poly Gang represent! There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

I personally don't think that Asuna would be involved in any triad relationship with Argo and Kiriko, she's far more framed as seeing Kiriko in a more sisterly light, imo.

Actually, it's kinda the other way around atm, lol. Asuna's feelings towards Kiriko aside, I've made it pretty obvious that Kiriko sees Asuna as a little sis for the time being, which is ironic since Asuna is older. Could hypothetically change as the story progresses, but for now, that's how it is.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kuroe said:

I'm super excited to not only see this story continue, but to also see the new story you're working on! I absolutely love the way you write (it's a lot more... polished... than most stuff that shows up here). ❤️

Thanks for the encouragement! Glad you enjoyed it. And that new story of mine is coming along nicely, since you mentioned it. As for the "polish" of my writing style, I'm mostly self-taught, with a few pushes in the right direction from editors and friends. But the real reason it's at the level it's at is because I've been writing and posting my stories online since my mid-teens. I've had a lot of practice, and I never let myself get complacent with my abilities. There's always something to improve, always a weakness to round out, and always new things to experiment with to enhance the experience.

On another note, I finished chapter eighteen the other day. However, since the reserve count decreased last time I posted a chapter, I'm waiting until I finish chapter nineteen before posting chapter fourteen publicly. Shouldn't be too much longer of a wait though, since I got started on chapter nineteen today and I'm getting my momentum back.

Catch you when chapter fourteen drops! Later!

So this chapter took longer to get out. Sorry about that, had to rebuild the reserve. On the plus side, chapter twenty is shaping up to be a fun kinky intermission which will set up some future plot threads, so you have that to look forward to eventually.

So now we’re finally in the first non-intermission chapter of floor two. Which due to the reserve ironically means we’re like, three chapters away from being done writing it lol. Won’t keep you reading this note much longer.

See you below!

Sword Art Online: Of Death Games and Diapers

Chapter Fourteen: Frontline Fencer

December 5th, 2022

Floor 2 Wilderness

A lone, hooded figure walked through the forest path towards «Marome», a small village three kilometers southeast of «Urbus». The player planned to hunt here later, but at the moment, she just needed to head to town. This journey hadn’t been a short one thanks to all the spots she stopped to farm on the way, so she needed to restock sometime soon.

‘Buzzzzz…’

On second thought, she could afford to spend a few minutes wiping out the sources of that noise. She came here specifically to hunt them, after all. As the buzzing got closer and closer from behind, the player slowly drew her rapier, a powerful «Wind Fleurette +4». Just as the first «Windwasp» got within striking distance, she turned around and unloaded a lightning-quick «Linear» right into its weak point, the base of its stomach.

She didn’t even give the other two Windwasps a chance to react To the death of their kin. In the next moment, the travelling player severed their upper bodies from their abdomens altogether, the damage emptying out their HP bars in a single blow each.

The enemies all defeated for the time being, a window appeared in front of the player’s face, showing her the drops she’d received. Good, she got a few more «Needle of the Windwasp» materials. Good, she needed more of those. Now to get back on the road…

Just then, an embarrassingly loud gurgle reminded Asuna that she needed food. Guess a light snack couldn’t hurt…

It didn’t take long to find a nice spot on the edge of the forest with a nice view of the plains ahead. She sat down, propping her rapier up against the tree behind her and materializing some food from her inventory. A roll of «Black Bread», and a freshly-obtained jar of cream. After spreading a sizable helping onto her treat, she took one big bite after another, not even minding the cream that got on her cheek.

This… this was great…

‘Pssssssssss…’

In Asuna’s food-induced euphoria, she completely failed to notice her bladder give way and begin soaking the front of her Starz diaper. But even if she had noticed, she might not have minded. After all, she knew she wasn’t alone with this problem anymore.

‘Clang!’

Just as Asuna finished eating the last bite and wiped her mouth off, she heard a sound from the forest to her right. She looked over to find a man with a knightly helmet, wearing a hooded cape like hers while slashing at a Windwasp with a…

That sword… Asuna thought as she watched the fight from afar. It’s the same one Kiriko uses. But…

Something about this fight was strange. The slash he just tried on the wasp didn’t even hit it. Not because he wasn’t fast enough, but because he didn’t reach far enough with it. And then when the giant insect tried to attack, he jumped back way too far. Almost like…

He can’t gauge his distance…

With the new distance between the player and his enemy, rather than try to close it and attack again, the man grabbed something from his belt with his left hand. “Have at thee!”

In the next moment, he threw some kind of small, bladed weapon through the air. It went straight through the Windwasp’s petiole and into the neighboring tree, shaving off a good third of the enemy’s HP, but it still had just over half left.

“Heh. So… you succeeded at making me use my ultimate attack!” the strange man said, placing a hand on his mask. “You’ve earned my resp—”

He cut his speech off in favor of shouting and trying to back away as the giant wasp tried to sting him. Considering their stings could cause a short stun effect, she should probably help him. With a sigh, Asuna hopped to her feet, grabbed her rapier and launched the charge-type «Shooting Star», propelling her through the air as her rapier severed the Windwasp’s body in two and drained the rest of its HP in a single hit.

As she slowed to a stop a meter or two away from the player she’d just saved, Asuna slid her rapier back into its sheath and turned around to face him. “Are you all right?”

“Th… thank you,” the man, sitting on the ground in a disoriented heap, could only offer this in reply. “That’s quite a Sword Skill. I couldn’t follow the movements at all…”

This guy… something about him was off. His equipment seemed first rate, but he struggled this much against a basic mob.

But why…?

As Asuna pondered the question, the man spoke up again, hanging his head. “Um… I hate to say this after you saved me, but… can you let me kill my own prey?”

“No problem. By the way,” The fencer shrugged her shoulders, looking off to the side. “The upgrade level of your weapon is visually distinct, right? My partner uses that same sword, about that same strength. Although she uses two at once.”

“That partner of yours… must be very strong as well,” the masked man said, sounding wistful about something.

Asuna didn’t hesitate for even a moment before replying. “She is. I bet that right now…” she trailed off, looking off into the distance as she fondly recalled the time spent with her invaluable partner. “She’s the strongest in this entire world.”

“… Wow. I guess this sword really isn’t for me, then,” the man replied after a short pause, disheartened. “I’m afraid to admit that perhaps this sword… and being a swordsman… are out of my reach.”

Asuna tentatively looked back down at him. “No one said you have to quit. It must’ve been hard getting it up to that level, right? You clearly put a lot of work into that sword. I’m sure it’s really important to you.”

At her words, the man’s shoulders slumped as he slid his sword back into its scabbard. This person seemed to be a really fragile, negative type… she’d have to be careful if she didn’t want to make him feel worse than he did already.

“I get how it feels to want to keep using the sword you like, but you’re risking your life on the frontlines,” Asuna said as she extended a hand down to help him up. “If the sword’s not right for you, maybe you could try working on that thing you threw earlier?”

As he reached out to try and take her hand, he forced out a sheepish rebuttal. “No, I can’t. The «Throwing Knives» skill has an ammo limit. And the stones you find in the labyrinth barely do any damage. They’re no use in a real fight…”

Just as he finished saying that, he tried to take Asuna’s hand… and missed completely. His hand was still several centimeters away from being able to grab on hers. Asuna tried to get a better look at his helmed face, only to see—

“Aaah! What’s that?” Asuna cried, pointing at the man’s left eye, covered by a… “Why do you have that stupid eyepatch on? No wonder you can’t judge distance!” Now the mismatch between his gear quality and showings versus the Windwasp finally made sense! “I don’t know what kind of skill you think you’re training, but if you don’t fear the frontlines, you’ll die!”

He raised a gauntleted hand to rub the back of his neck. “I’m the «Eyepatched Swashbuckler»… or at least, I want to be. Sorry about that.”

His head lowered again. Crap… Asuna thought as she realized what she’d done. A few careless words can easily hurt a guy like this.

“But I really am jealous of you,” he said with a nervous laugh as he propped himself back into a stand with his sword. “You must be Asuna… the «Frontline Fencer». I wish I could have as much fun swinging my sword as you… and help everyone out. Must feel great.”

He got up and started walking on the path back through the forest, head still somewhat hung low. “… So very jealous…” he said, trailing off as the distance between them grew.

Something told Asuna that this distance was more than just space in VR.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hold you up…” he said just before he disappeared into the trees. “I’ll be going.”

A moment later, he was gone. As Asuna stood there pondering his words, and how he knew who she was, she couldn’t help but take notice of a large knife embedded in the tree next to her. It almost looked like a kunai… wait, this must’ve been the knife he threw at the Windwasp, right?

The fencer quickly pulled it out of the tree and turned around to call out to him. “Hey, wait! You forgot something…!”

… He’s gone.

Asuna held the throwing knife in her palm, marvelling at its size and design. She’d never seen one like this in an NPC shop before… but more importantly, what he said just before leaving.

“I wish I could have as much fun swinging my sword as you.”

As she stared down at that throwing knife, she wondered if perhaps its owner understood something she didn’t.

Me? Having fun…?

“By the way, I can’t help but notice…” Asuna’s voice rang through the teashop, interrupted by a graceful sip of her tea. “That a certain someone hasn’t been around for a few days. Where’d she run off to?”

Asuna looked across the table at a certain information broker, whose arms lay on the table on either side of her cooling teacup. Argo’s face soon adopted one of the most obnoxious smirks the fencer had ever seen.

“What kind of reaction is that?” Asuna couldn’t help but sound out.

Argo leaned forward on the table, perching her chin on her right palm as her smirk mellowed out into a normal smile. “Want me to tell you?”

“These are very poor manners, Argo!” Asuna leaned back in her seat.

Argo’s grin widened. “Do you want to know or not?”

“I won’t pay you for the info.” Asuna took another sip of her tea, avoiding eye contact by looking out the window. “But we’ll be fighting the field boss soon…”

At the feeling of a familiar twinge, Asuna looked down at the rippling surface of her tea. I probably shouldn’t drink that much of this… my diaper is soaked, and tea goes right through me.

Not a moment after the fencer’s thought concluded, Argo got right up in her face and whispered in her ear, “It’s a secret, that’s what.”

Asuna really struggled to avoid eye contact in that moment…

“Kii-boy said not to tell you, of all people,” she said as she finally backed away.

All semblance of self-control disappeared in an instant. Asuna’s eyes snapped back to meet Argo’s. “Huh?! Wh-what does that mean…?”

“Who knows?” the informant said while making a gesture as if to pull at her face paint. “Maybe she can’t show her face because she’s growing whiskers.”

Clang!

A metallic chime rang out from the street outside the teashop, catching both of them by surprise. Argo recovered first. “So he’s set up here too.”

“Ah… so it’s the blacksmith, then?” Asuna replied, closing her eyes as she took another sip of tea.

Argo finally grabbed her own teacup and blew on it to cool it down. “Yep. A player blacksmith, not an NPC. And he’s pretty good at his job, too.”

Out the window, across the street, the aforementioned blacksmith finished hammering on his newest creation a few moments later. He took the newly-forged throwing knife off his anvil and sheathed it behind him, in the back of his bandolier. Just then, he noticed another player walk up to him.

The blacksmith looked up at the player with his droopy eyes, doing his best to give a businesslike smile. “W… welcome. Are you buying, or looking for repairs?”

December 8th, 2022

Second Floor Field Boss Lair

As Asuna stared down at the bovine field boss from the mesa above its lair, she couldn’t help but absently wonder how many steaks a four meter tall cow could make. But beneath the superficial layer of thoughts, she struggled with a much larger concern.

Where is she…?

Asuna hadn’t seen Kiriko at all since the day they cleared the first floor. Her conversation with Argo a few days ago suggested the dual-wielder was still alive then, but why hadn’t she shown up at all this entire time? The frontlines had made it to the field boss guarding the last town already. She hadn’t gotten killed, had she…?

“Hey.”

A familiar voice called out to her from behind, making the fencer look up to find none other than Kibaou approaching her. He seemed… less confrontational than normal. “Where’s your pardner? I ain’t seen her much on the second floor.”

“I don’t know.” Asuna sighed. Great. Now the topic could dominate her thoughts even more. “She and I are both solo players. We only partied up for the raid.”

“Well, there’s a party of five over there.” Kibaou pointed over his shoulder, back one of the groups gathered to join the battle against the field boss. “Wanna go join up?”

“I told you, I’m solo.” She may not have had her normal partner with her today, but that didn’t mean she’d team up with random people she didn’t even know.

The cactus-haired man sighed. “Awright then.”

Another, less familiar voice called out from Asuna’s other side. “There’s no need to feel any responsibility to that rogue. If you want to participate in the battle, you need to join a party,” the scimitar user Lind said, looking over at the fencer with a serious, pointed expression. “You must understand. As the current leader of the frontlines, I can’t allow for irregularities to throw off the order and discipline of the group.”

This guy makes Kibaou seem likable…

Asuna hadn’t known him by name at the time, but he was the one who called Kiriko out during the aftermath of the first floor boss raid. Since then, he’d gathered some followers, intending to start a guild as soon as they unlocked the third floor. But he became pretty obnoxious since then, trying to call all the shots for all the clearers, not just his followers.

“Who cares? I’ll hang back and pick off the adds that spawn,” Asuna countered, doing her best to sound less annoyed than she actually felt. “The guide says the Windwasps keep coming until the bull goes down. I need to farm them for drops. It’s a—”

The fencer found her words cut off by the loud thud of a dark-colored, human-shaped something falling from a tree into the thicket of bushes on her right. Drawing her rapier in an instant, the chestnut-haired maiden marched over to the bushes, ready to stab at whoever had dared to spy on them. But when she got close enough to see the peeping tom…

… Oh.

Down in the bushes, breath slowly and steadily rising and falling, lay the very person Asuna had been worried for this entire time. Her eyes were closed, her skirt had ridden up to reveal her Starz diaper, and she had a goofy, carefree smile on her face. And just as Asuna noticed the smile, she saw the front of the girl’s diaper begin to swell and yellow.

This entire time…

The fencer walked up to her black-clad partner and grabbed her by the collar of her coat, dragging her out into the open. In a moment, the dual-wielder’s eyes snapped open, and she looked around before yelping some words out.

“The hell is going on?” Kiriko said as she rose to her feet, walking backwards as Asuna pulled on her coat. “What’s a nocturnal player gotta do to get some peace and quiet while they sleep?”

Asuna huffed before addressing Lind and Kibaou. “Found myself a slacker sleeping on the job. As punishment, she’ll be helping me collect materials against the adds.”

“…! The «Beater»!” Lind spat the dual-wielder’s moniker as if it were venom. “In that case…”

“We have another one on wasp duty,” the fencer finished his sentence for him, smirking at the sight of that meatsack’s obvious displeasure. “Don’t worry. I won’t let her touch the cow. As long as the main team does its job right, that is.”

Kibaou stared the pair down for a minute before walking off in a huff. “Do whatever ya want.”

Lind, for his part, held his composure rather well. He turned to walk away, as everyone’s eyes fell on the black-haired beta-tester with looks of contempt. Right before he started walking, Lind said something in a low, dangerous voice.

“Don’t overstep your bounds.”

As Asuna let go of her partner’s collar, those violet eyes looked down at the ground, crestfallen. “Sorry. I figured this’d happen, so I’ve been active at night. Didn’t wanna deal with this shitshow.”

So she’d been moving at night, when monsters were at their most dangerous. And she’d gotten ahead of the frontlines and fallen asleep here, in the wilderness, compounding the danger even further. The implication being, she found the monsters less dangerous than other players. Still…

“Don’t insult my intelligence,” Asuna replied, turning back to face her partner with a glare. “If I didn’t want people to think you and I are friends, I wouldn’t have dragged you out in the first place.”

The dual-wielder rubbed the back of her neck and sheepishly responded, “Busted.”

“If you’re a pro at SAO, then I’m a pro at mind games. I go to an all-girls school,” Asuna told her partner with a confident grin. “You think I can’t read your face like an open book?”

Kiriko smiled back abashedly, but otherwise didn’t respond. However, that smile was all Asuna needed to be put at ease. Her partner and friend was safe and sound, and that was all that mattered. Asuna quietly sighed in relief, when—

‘Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…’

She didn’t notice, but her mental relief made her relieve herself in a different way.

“So, where have you been? Did you actually stay ahead of us the entire time?” Asuna replied just as the stream died down. “Argo mentioned something about growing whisk—”

“Our average level is higher, ya chump! So quit complainin’ and let us handle the attackin’!” a familiar Kansai dialect shouted from the gathering of other players.

The two flowers of the frontlines turned to find Kibaou and Lind, bickering amongst themselves, as per usual. Their expressions were completely ridiculous, contorted to an almost humorous degree.

Lind shouted back, “Not so! We, the inheritors of Diavel’s will, should man the frontline! The «Dragon Knights Brigade»!”

“Dragon? You gonna talk to me about dragons?!” Kibaou’s shouting grew even more loud and incredulous. “A real man takes after a real animal— the tiger!

Asuna’s partner struggled to keep in her laughter at that last bit. The fencer herself had to resist the urge to facepalm. And one of Kibaou’s teammates leaned over to whisper something in his ear. Probably telling him he missed the point.

“Look, my point is, y’might dress like Sir Diavel, but ya ain’t his heir or nothin’,” Kibaou continued, pointing a hand at his chest with his thumb. “The ones who really carry on his fight are us, the «Aincrad Liberation Squad»!”

Lind snapped back with a smug growl. “Something tells me you don’t match up to that lofty name of yours!”

“Say that again!”

Kiriko looked drily at them as they bickered. “Their childish squabble aside, what’s with the names?”

“They’re going to create guilds with those names on the third floor,” Asuna replied in monotone.

As the fight between Lind and Kibaou got even louder, the dual-wielder sighed, flipping a lock of her hair over her shoulder. “This is obnoxious… I wish they’d just get on with the battle already.”

The fencer smirked as she looked at her partner, a glint in her eyes. “Remember what you said to me when we unlocked this floor? ‘If someone you trust invites you to a guild, don’t turn them down.’”

Kiriko gave a saccharine smile in return. “Sweetie, you know you’re too good for these third rate clowns. That tank with the ax, on the other hand… huh, he’s not here.”

“Oh, Agil-san?” Asuna asked, receiving a nod in confirmation. “He couldn’t make it, ran into some trouble. He told me before we left.”

“Unfortunate. And what we get instead…” the dual-wielder replied, violet eyes looking over at a group of well-armored characters to the right. “Is them? I’ve never seen them before… and their equipment is first rate. Where have they been up to now?”

“Good question. They don’t seem to be that high level, and their equipment is better than ours,” Asuna commented, giving the men a decent appraisal. “Must be giving them about three levels’ worth. I only just started seeing them around, but they might make for good tanks— what?”

Asuna’s face heated up as her violet-eyed partner rose a hand up and patted her on the head. If anyone else had tried that stunt, they’d be making eye contact with her rapier, but from this person specifically, it caught her off guard.

“You’ve been learning a lot while I’ve been gone all floor, huh?” Kiriko said, flashing her a proud grin. “Less than a week ago, you didn’t know how to read party members’ names, but look at you now. Glad you’re putting in the time and effort to apply yourself.”

The fencer’s face flushed even more under the genuine praise. “… I have been studying a lot.”

“So, those new guys got a funny name for their group too?” Those violet eyes flitted over to the new arrival to the frontlines, her hand returning to her side.

Asuna looked at them for a moment, trying to recall their name. “I think it’s… the «Legend Braves»?”

Kiriko had to cover her mouth and bite into her sleeve to keep from bursting out laughing. The fencer decided to ignore that and proceed with the explanation.

“There are five of them. The members who showed up today are…” Asuna continued, pointing to each member as she called them out. “Beowulf-san, Cuchulainn-san… and there’s one more somewhere around here—”

But the black-haired beauty couldn’t hold back her laughter any longer. “Hahahahahahahahaha! Okay, I get it, I get it! Now their equipment makes sense. They’re the type to try and live up to the name!”

Ignoring her partner’s outburst for the moment, Asuna finally found their leader holding his sword out in front of him, standing next to a… blacksmith? Out here? “There he is. I think his name is… Orlando-san.”

Now that the two of them were paying attention, Orlando began to speak, almost as if on cue. “Brilliant work! That’s five straight successful upgrades! No wonder you’re the first player blacksmith in SAO!”

“He’s even got his own persona made… that’s… great…” Kiriko said, still sounding ready to burst out laughing again any second. “Christ, and I thought the ninja cosplayers were bad…”

Asuna sent her partner a scrutinous gaze. “Ninja cosplayers?”

“Never mind.”

“Not like those NPC smiths who fail every third time!” Orlando sheathed his sword and bent down to give the smith a pat on the back. “What’s your name good fellow? I’ll have to come back!”

The smith looked up and shook his hand, sounding pretty nervous. “Th-thank you. My name is Nezha. Come any time…”

In response, a wave of players approached him, eager to get some gear smithed for themselves. Kiriko and Asuna stayed back, observing the commotion from afar. They could wait until the group hysteria died down.

“A blacksmith on the frontier, less than a hundred meters from the field boss,” the noirette marveled, looking at Nezha with an appraising stare. “Guess he’d have some rich customers, if he can handle the threat of the mobs out here.”

A few seconds later, Kibaou looked back at his men and waved his sword from them to the field boss. “We’re gonna start, dammit!”

“Finally,” Kiriko and Asuna replied in unison.

Asuna drew her rapier, preparing to head down to the lair of the field boss. At around the same time, the fencer heard her partner draw one of her own «Anneal Blades», before giving some words of encouragement.

“Well, here’s to another day of hard work… partners.”

Asuna looked over at her companion with a perplexed stare. “Partners? But it’s only the two of…”

She trailed off as she got a good look. Oh. Now it made sense. Kiriko had said the word ‘partners’ while holding her left sword out in front of her and resting a hand on the hilt of her right one. In other words, neither of the dual-wielder’s alleged partners were Asuna herself. Both of them were her weapons.

Knowing that… saddened her.

“Come on. Hurry up, or we’ll be late,” Asuna said, trying to keep the disappointment out of her tone.

They joined the crowd and began rushing towards the edge of the mesa, intent on sliding down the edge and right into the lair of the field boss. But as they passed him by, Kiriko called out to the blacksmith with casual cheer. “You gonna join the fight, blacksmith?”

In response, Nezha reached a hand behind him to sheepishly rub the back of his neck. “Well, I’m not much good at battle… sorry. I hate to be useless when you’re all risking your lives.”

“Don’t be silly,” the violet-eyed woman called out, flashing him a wide grin and a thumbs-up with her free hand. “Crafters are a huge part of helping the fight. I’ll bring my swords your way soon!”

She’s that considerate of someone she barely knows… yet she barely even seems to realize I’m here sometimes.

With a disappointed sigh, Asuna turned away from the smith. As the two flowers of the frontlines advanced towards the cliffside, just as they left the smith’s hearing range, Kiriko matched pace with her and gave her a quick head pat with her right hand. Asuna looked over at her in wide-eyed confusion.

“It’s true that both of these swords are my invaluable partners,” the noirette said, violet gaze kind enough to warm Asuna’s heart just a bit. “But so are you. Never forget that. I don’t wanna know where I’d be now… without friends like you around.”

Asuna’s face flushed as she processed those heartfelt words. It was like Kiriko could read her mind. She knew just what to say to cheer the fencer up. And that was just…

Not fair…!

As they ran towards their next battle, Asuna couldn’t help but wonder why Kiriko’s smallest words and actions could emotionally jerk her around so easily.

Asuna’s gay baby puppy love aside, I legit can’t think of much else to comment on here xD.

Next chapter shouldn’t take as long to post as this one did. Hope to have it finished in a few days, but we’ll see how that promise dates lol.

In the meantime, if you’ve got questions, comments, concerns, even suggestions, feel free to hit me up in the comments! I don’t always answer every comment, but I read them all and appreciate each one I receive. Hope to see yours down below!

Catch you next chapter!

• 1 month later...

Yo, what’s poppin everybody? Finishing chapter 20 took fucking forever, which held this off from release. Sorry bout that. Creative pursuits right now are chaotic endeavors. Ideas are coming to me every other day, which makes it pretty hard to focus on one thing for long enough to finish a release. But I got annoyed at not releasing anything in weeks for the past week or so, and here we are.

Hopefully next chapter will take less time to release. We shall see. In the meantime, here’s this! See you below!

Chapter Fifteen: Luck

“Twenty-five.”

As my blade severed a «Windwasp» in two with a single hit, I announced my kill count to my partner with a confident grin. As rough as diapers could be on my mobility, I’d pretty much acclimated by now. But when I turned to look over at her, she killed one in a single hit herself, raising her rapier with a flourish.

“Twenty-six,” she replied with a smug grin.

Oh, so you can match that pace? Guess it’s time to step up my game!

As I continued slaughtering the wasp spawns, I kept looking over to figure out how she’d kept up with me. She wore the same diaper as me, and her stance’s wide gait reflected it, but she seemed even more used to it than me.

Not to ignore the work she put into the strikes themselves. Each rapier hit had a low base damage, but she made up for it with critical hits to the abdomen every time. And her busted crit rate had nothing to do with her weapon. If anything, that «Wind Fleuret» held her back.

Which means I should counter… I thought, quickly drawing my second sword and tearing into another wasp with a split second «Horizontal». With more strikes!

Right before Horizontal’s post-motion delay kicked in, I kicked off the ground with my right foot, the resulting «Gengetsu» backflipping kick sending my new steel-toed boot right at and through the head of another Windwasp, killing it in a single blow. It occurred to me mid-backflip that I might’ve just flashed anyone looking in my general direction a show of my padded posterior there, but thankfully no one looked at me when the skill executed, from what I could tell.

The moment my feet touched the ground, skill completed, I activated «Rage Spike» with my right sword, leaping through the air and stabbing upwards, impaling the head of another one and ending it in one shot. A moment later, my left sword activated «Vertical» and came down on a nearby wasp from above, cutting it cleanly in half.

My right sword activated «Slant» next, cutting another one in two horizontally. After severing one’s wings with a final left-bladed «Vertical Arc» and stomping its fallen head into the dirt to kill it, I heaved a sigh.

Keeping form for skill pre-motions to chain skills with a diaper on is tiring… and I can’t rely on an adrenaline boost for energy like with Illfang, either.

For the moment, we’d taken out all the wasps in the area, not even leaving any behind for the other players on wasp duty. At around this time, Asuna subtly waddled over, back to back with me.

“Hey. Stop me if you’ve heard this one, Kiriko,” she said, smiling at me from over her shoulder.

I glanced back at her quizzically. “What’s up?”

“There’s an item called a «Tremble Shortcake» in the next town,” she replied, a confident glint in her eyes.

I smiled at the memories behind that item. “Yeah. It’s great, but a total ripoff. Why, gonna try it?”

She chuckled, before dashing off to chase after the next wasp wave as it began spawning. She lunged forward at the closest one before shouting a devious ploy. “Cake’s on the loser!”

Immediately afterwards, she stabbed through its abdomen with a critical hit «Linear» before hitting another one with the same attack. Note to self, Linear’s post-motion delay and cooldown were short enough that it could be spammed rapid fire. Her kill count rose to twenty-eight, only three below my own streak of thirty-one.

But I wouldn’t be outdone that easily. I lunged at the nearest wasp myself and lopped its head off, killing it in one move without even using a skill. I didn’t have the time to wait on Sword Skills to charge up when my competitor’s skills were faster and more spammable than mine.

As I looked for some new targets, I took note of a single Windwasp moving differently from all the others. It didn’t even get aggro for any of the players near it. It just flew over to the massive bovine field boss, landed on its rear end, and… oh.

Oh no.

Just as Asuna upped her kill count to thirty-two, the game plan for beating this field boss flew out the window. The Windwasp stung the «Bullbous Bow» in the ass, and it screamed out a moo so strong it made the entire area shake, from the air to the ground to the trees in the outer edge. The shockwaves, paired with its front legs rearing up in anger, sent half the people attacking it flying away, immediately endangering the lives of everyone else in the fight.

“Asuna, put the contest on hold!” I shouted just as she upped her kill count to thirty two, tied with mine. “We got a rampaging bull to worry about!”

Asuna looked at the field boss and nodded, and we began dashing over to intercept the Bullbous Bow at top speed. Or, well… as close to top speed as you could get when running made your hips sway like this. But I could already tell…

We won’t make it in time!

The only players who hadn’t been incapacitated by the sudden rampage were the Legend Braves, and the massive bull was only getting started. It’d still take another few seconds for us to traverse the massive battlefield and take over, which meant we could only rely on them to hold the front line until then.

Cuchulainn spoke up just as the bull began its charge. “This looks bad, Orlando-san! We should pull back!”

Not good. Everyone but them in that area fell into the red when the bull’s rampage began. If they pulled back, deaths would be unavoidable. But luckily, the Legend Braves’ leader seemed to understand this.

“Not on your life! Hold fast, men!” Orlando shouted, holding his shield right out in front of him to block the field boss’s advance. “Now is the time to show our mettle! We are—”

His men rushed over and held out their shields with him just in time to block the bull’s charging headbutt and split the force of the blow between them. As the charge hit their shields, they all shouted in unison.

The Legend Braves!!

If their names weren’t so stupid, they’d look real cool right about now.

The resulting clang and wall of players halted its advance just long enough for me and Asuna to close the remaining distance. We fired off Sword Skills on its right hind leg to get it to aggro to us as we sped past it. I looked back at Orlando and his men, now all in the red as well, and smiled over at him.

“Good job! Switch!” I shouted back with vigor.

In response, they backed off to drink some pots, with Orlando shouting back. “Much appreciated!”

As the bull’s charge stopped and it turned to face us, Asuna called out to me. “The guide said his weak point is his head bulge! I can’t reach that high, and we don’t have the defense to tank its charge!”

“You’re supposed to hit it with throwing knives, but I don’t have the Skill Slots for hobby skills,” I said, a bead of sweat dripping down my forehead from the pressure. This would be close. “Don’t touch its head when it charges, you won’t avoid it! Aim for the front legs to knock him down! We only have an instant! Land a crit with that rapier, right at the knee joint!”

Asuna shouted back a moment later, just as the bull’s charge began. “Got it!”

Without another word, we split up to avoid the charge and take its front legs down. We each charged a Sword Skill for a moment before letting loose on its legs in perfect sync, my sword landing with a satisfying slash straight across the bulging limb. But it didn’t stagger like it should’ve…

“I missed?!” Asuna shouted out. When I looked over, I noticed the red damage line on the leg she’d hit was on its leg above the knee, not the knee itself. “Sorry!”

I saw her looking from the bull to her rapier back and forth for a moment, and I instantly understood. As I noted before with the Windwasps, her rapier held her back. She didn’t have the accuracy, natural or systemic, to hit her target.

Turning back to face the Bullbous Bow, I smirked, left sword held atop my shoulder. “It’s all good. He’s almost dead now. Which means it’s time for…!”

The unstaggered field boss dug its hooves into the grass and turned back around to charge at me, thankfully choosing me over my partner to aggro to thanks to my knee crit. My smirk widened as I darted to meet it, my left sword building up power. When it began to glow a brilliant green hue, I held my breath just before the charge would’ve hit me and jumped into the air right in front of the charging bull’s head, firing off the charge-type skill «Sonic Leap».

I barely cleared its active hitbox and shot through the air propelled by an upward force I could never match on my own at this level. More than enough to land a blow and finish this. My held breath released in a sharp exhale as I delivered a wicked downward slash onto his massive head bulge, shattering it and wiping out the last of its HP in a single blow as my aerial ascent came to a halt.

As the boss exploded into an array of polygons, I gracefully landed in a wide-legged crouch, swords held out on either side of me to maintain my center of gravity and stabilize myself just enough to avoid falling over. I felt pretty glad that I had the long «Coat of Midnight» covering my rear just now, considering my skirt flipped right up as I fell and would’ve exposed my wet diaper for the world to see if not for my trusty trenchcoat.

Rising to a stand, I sheathed my right sword and smoothed out my skirt before turning to Asuna with a smug grin, holding my left sword flippantly over my shoulder. “How’s that? You saw it with Illfang too, but it’s a midair Sword Skill. Looks easy, but timing it is a nightmare.”

If the close shave just now was anything to go by.

I heard Asuna mumbling something about me hiding skills like that from her before a familiar window popped up in front of me. “Oh, right, the LA Bonus. Nice…”

But not a moment later, I felt an impact on my left hand as something wrested my main «Anneal Blade» from my grip. I looked in the direction it flew off in to find a Windwasp flying off into the distance, with my sword trailing behind it and descending bit by bit. But before it would’ve touched the ground, it flew past the field boss area and into a canyon separating the next town from the floor up to this point.

Well, that’s a mild inconvenience…

Asuna, for her part, seemed a lot more upset about this than me. She yelped in horror and chased after my sword, only stopping right before she’d have fallen into the canyon herself. For just an instant, her skirt flipped up enough I caught a glimpse of her Starz, around as wet as mine. Naturally, by the time she got there, my sword had already fallen out of her reach, though just barely. She gave an anguished cry as my sword fell into the river below.

I walked over to her with a casual smile. “Well, you tried. It’s not like it’s been stolen, so I’ll just get it back later.”

Pardon?” she asked, looking up at me with a disillusioned glare.

At around this time, people finally seemed to break the spell of silence cast on them by the boss’s defeat and return to normal. Heard a few people saying it served me right that I lost a weapon after I stole the LA, along with Lind and Kibaou starting to argue again, as predictable as ever. The hero roleplayers seemed to be the only ones who weren’t that affected by the whole ordeal, their leader just giving us a reserved smile. But back to the point…

“Get it back? How?!” Asuna shouted, pointing aggressively down into the ravine. “It’s going to get swept away in the current down there!”

I had to bite back a chuckle at those words. Oh, to be a newb… I did not envy her. “Nah, it’s all good. But we’re in the wilderness, no safe territory around. Let’s head for «Taran» for now. I’ll explain what I can at the restaurant. Speaking of, my kill count is thirty-two. You?”

She looked over at me skeptically. “I have no idea how this is supposed to work…” she trailed off for a moment, eyes narrowing even further. “That weird hidden skill that uses body attacks. Midair Sword Skills. The Last Attack Bonus! You’re going to explain it all… while we eat that delicious cake.”

Thankfully, the rest of the clearers were an uptight bunch who hadn’t yet figured out it was fine to splurge every now and then, so the restaurant was empty, save for Asuna and I. If there were anyone in here with us, things would’ve gotten real awkward, real quick.

As we sat down at our tables, I opened my menu and set it to visible mode. “So, pay attention to where I’m tapping, because this shit is useful to know for a lot of reasons.”

She nodded, and I began. First, tapping into the [Storage] tab. After that, [Settings] button. Next, [Search] button. Almost there, now [Manipulate Storage]. And finally, the button I’d been trying to get to the whole time lie in wait.

I pressed it, and it opened up a yes or no prompt. I hit yes, obviously, and in the air to my right, a massive pile of items — every single item in my inventory — spawned and fell to the floor all at once. Turning and leaning towards it in my chair, trying to ignore just how many unopened bags of diapers in various prints had accumulated without me even realizing, I began rooting through the items with a general temperament which Asuna probably found cavalier, tossing things in every direction until I found what I’d been looking for.

I pulled it out of the pile with my left hand and held it out for Asuna to see. That went about how you’d expect. “Wait, you mean you just…?!”

“Told you.” I nodded, flashing her a wide grin. Despite the sheer distance between its physical location and mine, the fact I had no way of knowing where it even ended up, and with a handful of button presses, I’d effortlessly retrieved it.

My lost Anneal Blade +6.

After putting all my items back in storage, we ended up splitting the bill for the cake, at her insistence. I tried to tell her money was of little consequence and I’d cover it, but she wasn’t having any of it. And short of explaining my deal with Argo, which I’d never even considered, it seemed doubtful I’d convince her otherwise.

That aside, after we ate our meal and I explained what I did, as we waited for the cake to come, she took a sip from her drink and sighed. “I see… Materialize All Items, huh?”

“Yup. It’s kinda quasi-cheating, but the devs wanted a last ditch method to prevent too many salty gamer tears from being shed.” I nodded before flicking my menu back open and navigating back to the option in under three seconds, my finger held just over the button as I offered a laid back smile. “So they coded it in, but made it a pain in the ass to find if you don’t know it exists already. And it won’t work for lost equipment after an hour, or items after five minutes.”

“It still doesn’t sit right with me… but I guess all’s well that ends well,” she said, sighing in relief before offering a warm smile.

“Wait. Were you… actually worried about me? You know I have two of them, right?” I couldn’t help but ask. “And that I’m still solid with just one?”

She shook her head before placing a hand on her rapier, smiling gently down at it. “It’s not about that. I’m just glad. Even if I’m careless or stupid with my sword, I won’t have to say goodbye forever.”

“You really care for it, huh…?” I mused. I got the feeling I knew where this conversation was headed…

She flashed me a smile this time. “Of course. It’s the closest partner I have.”

Suspicion confirmed.

I sighed. “Asuna… even if you get it to the maximum level, +6…” I tentatively began, doing my best to sound sympathetic. God, this was like telling a little kid that Santa wasn’t real for the first time… it’d be a shitshow, and I’d feel even shittier saying it to someone so innocent. “That Wind Fleuret will only get you to floor three at most. To keep surviving, you’ll need stronger weapons down the line. It sucks, but—”

“No.”

I had to suppress a sigh. Welp, route of argumentation number one going down in flames. Note to self, Asuna isn’t swayed by appeals to practicality. Even when the difference could literally mean her life.

“I don’t want… to do that to it.” If looks could kill, she’d have put me a foot in the grave just now. “All this time, I thought a sword was just a tool. My only weapons were my skill and will to live. I honestly thought that. But then…”

I knew I asked for this when I started this disagreement, but I really didn’t find listening to speeches with arbitrarily defined logic to be all that enjoyable. I got where she was coming from, but I didn’t want the soapbox theater option…

“On the first floor, when you brought me together with this sword, I was moved,” she continued, clinging to her rapier as if it would disappear at any moment. “Light as a feather, with a pristine, clear design. Helping protect my life… as if it had a will of its own. We’ve survived through this together. I couldn’t give it up if my life depended on it.”

I bit back another sigh. Speech over, now I could try route of argumentation number two. If this didn’t work, I’d lose my shit.

“When I started elementary school, I got to pick out my first mountain bike. I treasured it more than my own life,” I said, looking down at my drink as I recalled my past. “So when it was time to hand it down to someone else, I took it back to the store we got it from, and asked the owner to hide it.”

God, this was not an experience I liked sharing. When I was a kid, I had all sorts of arbitrary beliefs and attachments. But as much as that embarrassed me… I couldn’t help but fondly look back at those memories at moments like these. At a time in my life when my life was simpler. A time when I didn’t have anyone depending on me. A time when I could be myself without consequence.

“He took a single bolt off my bike and proudly attached it to my new bicycle. Said it was the most important bolt in the whole bike,” I continued, wistfully smiling down at the table. “That it’d carry the soul of my first bike over to the second.”

She didn’t seem to understand where I was going with this, but she still looked more receptive to this approach than the last one. Good, I didn’t want to keep coming up with new ways to argue the point over and over. Now, to tie it to the current circumstances.

I looked up at her, locking eyes and sending her a grin. “The weapon crafting system of SAO allows you to melt your sword into ingots… then use those ingots to create a new sword.”

Her eyes widened. “And that… carries the soul of the sword over?”

I nodded, looking off to the side for a moment. “Yeah. On a similar note, my motorcycle still has bolts from my first and second mountain bikes right now,” I said, rubbing the back of my neck from admitting to this out loud. “It’s a bit childish, but I can’t let go of that sentimentality completely. Not yet, at least.”

“No. It’s not childish. I’m sure I’ll go down that route myself,” Asuna replied, unknowingly eliciting an internal sigh of relief from me. “That way, if I keep its soul with me… then I can keep fighting till the end. That’s the feeling I get.”

I nodded, and not a moment later, Asuna’s eyes looked up and past me. I knew from the sparkle alone that our cake was finally here. I turned around, only to find that the cake looked even better than I remembered.

Well, since we’re splitting, may as well enjoy it.

“That was delicious…”

As the pair exited the restaurant, Asuna couldn’t help but moan these words in pleasure. That cake… was the best thing she’d ever eaten. Bar none. It put her real life meals to shame, and it even edged out the bread with cream quite a bit.

“I think it tasted even better than the beta version…” Kiriko replied with a small nod. “Plus, see that temporary bonus to Luck? It didn’t do that in the beta. Shame it only lasts fifteen minutes…”

The fencer thought for a moment. “Not enough time to hunt, so we’d have to use it for something in town.”

“Hmm…” the dual-wielder started sorting through the problem as well.

‘Sssssssssshhhhhh…’

Kiriko felt the need arise and began inundating the crotch of her diaper not a moment later. Her diaper already felt wet before, but not enough she’d leak from this wetting.

As they thought it through, the fencer noted some difficulty concentrating. A noise kept interrupting her thoughts. Wait, that sound. She recognized it from somewhere. That metallic clanging, it meant—

“Hey, Kiriko. You mind coming with me for a moment?” Asuna asked, ready to capitalize on this fifteen minute window of opportunity. “There’s something I want to use this for.”

The dual-wielder looked over, perplexed. “You figured something out? Wait, that noise. Sure, let’s go.”

Ten minutes of frantic running around searching for the clanging later, the pair arrived at the source. A young man sitting in the plaza, shining up an Anneal Blade of his own with a fabric cloth. Asuna ran over to him and almost skidded to a stop, while her black-haired companion simply walked over.

“Good evening!” the fencer shouted out, unaware she still had a solid five minutes with the Luck bonus left.

“G… good evening.” The man’s head snapped up from his well-upgraded sword just as Asuna’s partner caught up. “Oh! You two are…”

Asuna, under the impression she’d run out of time at any moment, cut him off. “What about us?!”

Her partner gave the man an understanding smile. Nezha the blacksmith returned the gesture, sensing that those violet eyes had seen their fair share of trouble with her companion by now.

Never mind. Welcome to my shop,” he said, smiling sheepishly at the red-caped girl. “Looking for a new weapon, or some repairs? I do have some nice rapiers in stock.”

“I’d like you to upgrade my weapon to +5!” Asuna shouted back, unaware of the stares they were getting from passersby. “Boost the accuracy! I’ve got my own mats, enough to max out the success chance!”

The black-clad girl put a hand on her partner’s shoulder to try and get her to ease up. “Settle down, we’ve still got five minutes left. It won’t take that long.”

Asuna finally seemed to notice all the stares right then. She went completely silent, manipulating her menu to open up a trade menu. When the window opened to the blacksmith, he found four «Steel Plates» and twenty «Needles of the Windwasp» before his eyes, enough accuracy-boosting materials to take the upgrade odds to the cap of ninety-five percent. She wasn’t kidding…

“I… I see. Very impressive. That is a lot…” Nezha replied, his eyes lowering to the ground for just an instant. When Asuna handed him the rapier and completed the trade, he continued. “It checks out. Here we go.”

He retrieved the materials from his inventory and tossed them into the forge. Four thin sheets of of steel and twenty sharpened stingers turned red and erupted in flames, and before long, the entire furnace lit up with brilliant blue fires signifying the accuracy stat. With the prepwork complete, he removed the Wind Fleuret from its sheath and set it down within the furnace.

The blue flames enveloped the slender blade, and before long, it took on an azure glow. Nezha quickly pulled the rapier out and laid it on top of the anvil, then gripped his hammer and held it high. At precisely that moment, Kiriko’s violet eyes widened slightly, as if she noticed something important.

But before she could say anything, the blacksmith’s hammer made its first strike. The rhythmic pounding echoed through the square, orange sparks flying from the anvil. Once the upgrade attempt began, it couldn’t be stopped. She could hypothetically grab his hand to force it to stop, but it would only guarantee failure, with an attempt used up regardless.

“How many attempts do you have left?” the black-clad girl asked her partner, trying to suppress her inner turmoil.

Asuna flinched at every clanging noise made by the blacksmith’s hammer. “Two more. If I fail, I can’t get it to +6.”

“We have the max number of upgrade mats, so the success rate is capped…” Kiriko said, to convince herself nothing was wrong, if anything. “We’ve done everything we can. It’ll be fine.”

“Everything we can… huh.”

As soon as Asuna finished musing aloud, her black-clad partner felt a hand grasp hers, interlocking their fingers. “Uh… Asuna?”

“Let me borrow some of your luck,” the fencer requested simply.

Kiriko suppressed a sigh. “Feel free…”

“But hey…” Asuna said in between hammer strikes. “Even if it fails, it’s not going to break. It’d hurt to go gown to +3, though…”

Kiriko laughed nervously. “At the very least, that won’t…”

As the noirette spoke, the hammer struck the blue Wind Fleuret for the tenth and final time. The process complete, it flashed brilliantly atop the anvil. The violet-eyed girl wanted to believe that it couldn’t fail, but up until this point, the bad premonition got worse and worse.

And a moment later, the result proved itself far, far worse than her bad premonition could have possibly signaled.

With a fragile, beautiful chime, Asuna’s Wind Fleuret +4 shattered into several pieces, which then crumbled into dust from tip to hilt.

RIP in pieces, Wind Fleuret. May the readers never forget you.

Not much to comment on. It’s kinda been too long since I originally wrote this for me to have some witty commentary about it lol.

Chapter 21 goes back to adapting SAO Progressive’s manga, so hopefully it’ll be quicker to finish? Dunno, depends on context. Though the first few scenes might be, at the very least, considering what they focus on…

Anyway, I guess I’ll go start on ch21 and find out. Catch you next time!

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be hitting a consistent pace of a chapter around twice a month. Guess that’s better than it being less often, but I still wish I could go back the routine of releasing once every few days or once a week.

In other news, I’ll be moving to a new house with the fam soon. And in the new house, I’ll finally have my own room! I’ve been sleeping in the front room for literal years at this point, since before I even moved in with dad’s side, so having my own room again will be a welcome change! 😄

Anyway, enough chattering. Read on!

Chapter Sixteen: Loss

Kiriko laughed nervously. “At the very least, that won’t…”

As the noirette spoke, the hammer struck the blue Wind Fleuret for the tenth and final time. The process complete, it flashed brilliantly atop the anvil. The violet-eyed girl wanted to believe that it couldn’t fail, but up until this point, the bad premonition got worse and worse.

And a moment later, the result proved itself far, far worse than her bad premonition could have possibly signaled.

With a fragile, beautiful chime, Asuna’s Wind Fleuret +4 shattered into several pieces, which then crumbled into dust from tip to hilt.

In the aftermath of this nonsensically tragic development, no one knew how to react. Asuna seemed frozen, Nezha’s silence spoke volumes, and my head was racing a kilometer a minute, trying to piece together what I’d just witnessed.

Maybe if there were other people around, they could’ve helped break the ice. But with only the three of us here, all we could do was stare emptily at the anvil. As the third party in this transaction, I probably should’ve been trying to smooth things over, but after what just happened, my head could only play a single sentence on loop.

What the fuck did I just watch?!

This wasn’t fucking possible. In SAO, only three negative outcomes for upgrade attempts existed; Losing the mats without the upgrade succeeding, changing the existing upgraded properties, or the upgraded value decreasing by one. At its worst, this upgrade should’ve reverted Asuna’s «Wind Fleuret +4» back down to +3, and the odds of that were less than five percent. So for an outcome this much worse to happen despite all the resources sunk into maximizing odds of success, I had to call concentrated bullshit.

But I couldn’t get around the shocking display I’d just seen. The cruel truth of this situation was that Asuna’s rapier had just shattered, then disintegrated until only small flakes of silver remained.

I watched it from start to finish. Asuna removed the rapier from her waist and handed it to Nezha. He picked it up with his left hand and manipulated the furnace with his right, then pulled it from its scabbard and put it into the fire. Up to here, nothing seemed suspicious.

As we watched in silence, the scattered pieces around the furnace melted into the air. The weapon-damaging skills mobs used could melt, warp or chip a blade and it’d still be repairable. But a weapon shattered into pieces that small proved the loss of all durability, never to return. Asuna’s sword not only broke, but also deleted itself from SAO’s databases entirely.

“I’m sorry! I’ll return all of your money!” Nezha’s voice suddenly rang out as the final fragments disappeared. “I’m so… so, so sorry…!”

Asuna didn’t react. Or rather, she couldn’t react. If I just lost one of my weapons to something as nonsensical as this, I’d struggle to process it too. She just stood there, eyes wide, mouth agape. And I might’ve just imagined this, but those chestnut eyes looked glassy, one bad experience away from…

No. I refuse to accept this outcome!

“… Hang on a second! The worst outcome for a failed upgrade attempt is the item going down a point!” I forced my words out in an angered shout. I grabbed him by the collar and lifted him up until his feet couldn’t touch the ground. “It should’ve just gone down to +3! This just isn’t possible! Explain yourself!”

When I saw Asuna on the verge of tears, something in me snapped. My shocked stupor vanished in an instant, replaced by a fiery hot rage which frightened even me with its intensity. He’d done something wrong here, at Asuna’s expense. And if people knew me for anything back in the real, it was my anger when someone fucked with my friends and loved ones.

While dangling from my grip on his clothes, he spoke in a strangled voice. “Maybe they added a new penalty… for the game’s official launch. This happened to me… once before. I’m sure the probability is very low, though…”

I saw that anguished look in his eyes. He just made a bullshit excuse, and he knew as well as I did. If they really had added another penalty for launch day, it’d be common knowledge by now, referenced in Argo’s ubiquitous guides. Not to mention that if it was a penalty for upgrade failure, then NPC smiths wouldn’t be exempt from it. The system didn’t discriminate between players and NPCs like that.

But I knew I had to let up for now. I could feel people’s eyes on me, and the last thing I wanted was to make things even worse for Asuna by causing a scene over her. I shoved him away with the perfect angle and force. He landed on his own furnace, then jumped away on reflex, laying on his stomach to keep his ass from hurting any worse.

I grabbed Asuna by hand and moved to leave. But before walking away, I locked eyes with this swindling blacksmith and spoke, voice eerily calm. “I’ll remember this.”

I led Asuna away without another word. I still felt furious, but I knew I needed to cool my head before approaching this problem. I needed my wits intact, or I’d never figure this out. And I refused to just let that smith get away with this shit.

I led Asuna through the streets by hand, stopping when I saw a nearby inn. One I remembered from the beta as being pretty good for its prices. I walked us inside and went up to the front desk, buying her a room to stay in. Purchase complete, I took us up the stairs and over to the room I selected.

As I opened the door, I turned back to my partner with a sympathetic look. “It’s too dangerous to leave town without a weapon. You can rest here for tonight. We’ll look for a new sword tomorrow.”

Asuna walked into the room without a word, but she didn’t get far before our entwined hands stopped her. She tried to let go, but I held on for just a bit longer. I needed to say one more thing.

“Listen.” I gave her a consoling look, waiting for her to turn back to face me. When she did, the dead look in those eyes said more than her words ever could. “Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here, but… I won’t leave you behind. I promise.”

At that, I let go. When she closed the door, just before my vision cut off, I saw it. She couldn’t hold it back anymore.

I’ll make that douche pay for those tears myself.

As I left the inn, I resolved to figure out the secret behind this Nezha asshole’s magic trick myself. I already knew he did something shifty. I also knew he lied to me. I only needed to figure out the method to crack this case wide open.

Trying to observe Nezha from a distance in this back alley… did not go as I hoped. He probably stopped pulling shit for the day after he fucked with Asuna and I burned him with his own furnace in turn. If our positions switched, I’d lie low after a fiasco like that, too.

Only one piece of the puzzle didn’t fit. After I cooled my head, it became painfully obvious. When the smith apologized to Asuna… that apology was genuine. I only noticed him lying once, when he explained the Wind Fleuret’s destruction. I trusted my ability to see through lies enough that this juxtaposition of his face when he lied and when he apologized bothered me. Whatever he’d done, he really felt bad about it. Which meant that he probably didn’t pull this shit of his own free will.

Someone must’ve pressured him into it.

“Thanks fer waitin’.”

The familiar voice calling out from behind me caught me by surprise. I whipped my head around to the source, but only found the empty alley behind me. “Where are you…?”

“Here. Over here,” the female voice called out to me, this time from around the corner in the alley to my left.

I looked over, finding an empty alleyway again. But before I could turn around, I felt something on my back. Before I had a chance to react, my contact called out again.

“Over here, kiddo,” she said. This time, when I turned around, I saw the familiar face of Argo the «Rat» leaning on my back, smirking in that playful way of hers.

I got up, and she let her arm fall off my back. I turned to her and said, “That’s the Rat for you. Your hide rate is something else…”

“Of course. Hiding and Reveal are both crucial skills in my business,” Argo gleefully responded after a catlike laugh, ‘affectionately’ poking my cheek. “You’ve got a dozen levels to go if you think yer half-assed skill will spot me.”

As much as I wanted to retort, I didn’t really have time to play around. “Enough of that. How’s my request going?”

“This isn’t like you,” Argo said with an inquiring stare, “You don’t normally get this worked up about anythin’.”

I paused. Explaining why I went nuts on people who screwed with my friends and family would take too long. It made more sense to deal with the problem now and explain myself later. I walked back into the alley, out of view of Nezha’s location before responding.

“I’ll give you the story later,” I said with a sigh. “So what did your hunt dig up?”

Argo sighed, smirking over at me. “Fine. It’s not the best for my business to work on such a quick turnaround. So it’s just this once,” she warned me. After I nodded, she kept going, holding up all the fingers on her left hand and two on her right. “From the answers I got in the past forty-five minutes alone, seven. That’s how many high-level frontrunners lost their best weapons. All of ‘em rare and highly-upgraded.”

My eyes narrowed in newfound anger. Seven… bare minimum. I knew he probably didn’t target Asuna specifically, but this blew my expectations out of the water. With seven confirmations in the tiny amount of time we gave them to reply, then many more cases probably existed. And the number of new targets would likely grow by the day.

“Your intuition didn’t fail you yet, Kii-boy,” Argo said, looking at me through narrowed eyes of her own. “This is no coincidence.”

“Son of a bitch…” I muttered under my breath. “Why is he trying to weaken the clearers? He’s hurting everyone’s chances of getting out alive, including his own. I didn’t figure him for that type…”

Argo put a hand to her chin. “I don’t think weakening ‘em is his main goal. But more importantly… the ‘weapon destruction’ penalty for upgrading gear isn’t a thing. We both know it’s been more than proven by now, even in the retail release.”

I nodded. “We know he’s a fraud, but don’t know what he’s doing.” After my affirmation, I sighed. “How do you explain the rapier that shattered before our eyes?”

“Right. You did see him destroy a rapier. But not because he failed to upgrade it,” Argo said with a smug grin, putting a hand atop my shoulder. “Think. What’s the only way you can destroy a weapon when trying to upgrade it?”

I almost heaved a sigh. But right before I did, my eyes snapped wide open as I remembered exactly what she just referenced. It made sense. I didn’t have the methodology in full yet, but I now had a starting point to build the rest of the investigation off of.

“He switched Asuna’s Wind Fleuret out…” I breathed out. “For a spent copy. But when?”

A spent weapon. In other words, a weapon that had no upgrade attempts remaining. Based on Argo’s hinting, at some point in that fiasco, Nezha switched out Asuna’s Wind Fleuret +4 for a copy which he destroyed to make it look like Asuna’s rapier bit the dust.

Argo nodded, then held her index finger up to my face. “Think back, Kii-boy. Look for a point in time he could use to switch it out. It’d only take an instant.”

This proved two things. One, he left Asuna’s rapier intact for his own ends, and two, that he had to have some sort of trick to switch it out without anyone noticing. I immediately found myself looking back through the entire interaction for any single moment which he could’ve used to switch it out.

The time frame started when Asuna handed him the sword and ended with the last strike of the hammer. It had to happen at a point when we either took our eyes off the weapon or couldn’t get a good look at it. With that in mind…

That’s it! No time to lose! “I gotta go, but I’ll contact you later! Keep an eye on him until I give the word!”

I left the scene without another word, a new destination in mind as I dashed through the streets without even paying heed to how close to a speed waddle it looked like. I just hoped I’d make it in time…

“So long, Asuna. I’m moving on.” Kiriko said before descending the steps into the second floor.

Asuna looked at her retreating back with a confident smile. “Yeah. I’ll catch up to you soon.”

In this horrible state, that exchange from after they beat the first floor boss played over and over again in Asuna’s mind. How would she catch up… without her closest partner, her Wind Fleuret’s soul backing her up? She wanted to close the distance between them and walk side by side with Kiriko, but… that dream felt farther away than ever now.

“I won’t leave you behind. I promise.”

Kiriko meant to comfort her with those words. But it made the weaponless fencer feel even worse. She didn’t want to be the one holding Kiriko back. And yet if the dual-wielder stayed behind to help her get back on her feet, that’s exactly what would happen.

I really made a mess of myself this time, both of my diaper and my composure… Asuna thought, holding a trembling hand over her eyes to shield herself from the moon’s rays. I must’ve looked just dreadful… and I need a change.

She pulled the covers up past her waist before suddenly stopping. She didn’t want to fall asleep like this. She had to switch gears. When one’s heart wilted over something sad, it only drew forth fresh misfortune. She had to get back on her feet… before the next disaster. If she didn’t—

‘Bang!’

The sound and visual of Asuna’s door being slammed open interrupted Asuna’s thoughts. Her visitor on the other side panted heavily, like they’d ran the entire way here. In the darkness of the room, the fencer couldn’t get a good look at her uninvited guest, but the silhouette she saw suggested a female.

Asuna frantically sat up in bed, her heart pounding so hard she worried she’d have a heart attack. “Wh-who’s there?!”

Without answering, the silhouette closed the door behind her, shutting the two of them alone in this room. As the intruder approached the bed, she spoke in a voice that might’ve sounded familiar if not for the terror taking over Asuna’s thoughts.

“There’s no time! Take them all out!”

Asuna’s immediate response was to reach for her rapier where she usually kept it at night, right by her bed. But she found nothing. It took her another second or two to remember that she had no weapons on her after what happened earlier.

A moment later, the trespasser closed all remaining distance between them and cornered Asuna at the headboard of the bed. Asuna instinctively closed her eyes, preparing for an attack, violation, or some other horrible thing.

‘Pfffffloorrbbrtt!’

‘Ssssssssshhhhhhh…’

In her terror, Asuna lost control of her bladder and bowels entirely, but she felt so horrified she barely even noticed her diaper filling up. She waited for the inevitable violation, assault or other traumatizing act to follow, but…

“Asuna, hurry! Open your eyes!” her assailant shouted. The fencer felt the bed shift as her uninvited guest backed up. “You’ve only got a minute or two left to get it back!”

Asuna finally recognized that voice. Her eyes snapped open and took in the sight of a frantic Kiriko. “Kiriko?! But I locked the door!”

“The doors of inn rooms are set to allow party members in by default!” Kiriko replied, voice still frenetic, as if in a race against time. “Forget that, hurry! Set your window to visible mode!”

“O-okay…!”

Asuna did as she was told, and as soon as Kiriko could see it, she gave her next instructions. “One minute left! Quick, move to your storage tab!” Asuna pressed it in a hurry, and the orders continued. “Settings button!” Once Asuna pressed that, next decree. “Search button!” Done, then next came, “Manipulate Storage button! Now press the last button on the list!”

Asuna did so, and a new window appeared. “Something popped up! A yes or no prompt!”

“Hit yes!” Kiriko immediately shouted back. Asuna followed that command, and only after that did she actually read the contents of the window she’d just tapped yes on.

[Materialize All Items].

Asuna’s heart rate sped up with renewed intensity as she realized what Kiriko had just made her do. “Materialize all items? All of them? Does that mean—”

Asuna’s voice lost all its strength as she noticed things from her inventory popping out. Things she never wanted anyone to see, much less Kiriko of all people. She’d never live this down…! The dual-wielder looked around as everything Asuna didn’t want her to see started materializing in the air en masse.

“Sorry, didn’t know you used your «Sewing» skill to make…” she said, trailing off at the end with a slight tinge of pink on her cheeks.

Diapers. Cloth diapers. Asuna made them to level her Sewing skill and eventually save money since she could wash and reuse cloth ones, but she never wanted anyone else to see them.

End me now…

Asuna’s sewing experiments, potions, and armor began to fall to the floor in a cavalcade of sounds, from hard and heavy to light and airy. Every single item in the fencer’s inventory materialized into the room to fall on the floor in a massive, messy pile.

“Sorry, I swear to god you’ll thank me in a second!” Kiriko shouted before jumping off the bed and rooting through the pile, throwing items every which way.

Her entire body trembling with humiliation and anger, standing up in a wet, soiled diaper, Asuna approached her partner with an expression of emotional chaos. “Um, excuse me… do you have a death wish? Do you have dreams of dying in battle…?”

“Not a chance!” the noirette asserted almost immediately. Not a moment later, she froze up, left hand buried deep in the pile, grabbing who knows what. “Yes! Here it is!”

“What are you talking a—”

Kiriko cut off Asuna’s angered retort by whipping a familiar item out of the pile. Something incredibly important. Something Asuna thought she’d never see again.

Her Wind Fleuret +4.

As her violet-eyed partner held Asuna’s precious rapier out for her to take, the fencer felt her eyes tearing up again. “No way… how can that be? It’s all too…”

The chestnut-haired girl’s breath hitched. She took her lost weapon back and fell to the floor, cradling it in her arms. Her precious rapier returned to her. She wouldn’t hold Kiriko back.

Kiriko wouldn’t have to leave her behind.

Welcome back, Wind Fleuret +4. Asuna missed you, for all of the one chapter you were gone.

Also, so I just finished writing chapter 21. I can’t wait for y’all to get to read it. The first two scenes are some of my favorite kink scenes I’ve ever written lol. I’ll see if I can try to speed up production so you can see it faster. Keep high hopes and low expectations. 😛

Anyway, I’m gonna start writing some more. Stay safe out there, folks!

Ciao!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Martn_hat said:

Since you’ve already finished writing more chapters, I see no reason to not post them. Especially since you’re going on an indefinite hiatus.

Way ahead of you xD. The plan is to post reserve chapters on special dates like holidays and the like. Expect releases on the 4th of July, Halloween, Veteran's Day (mainly because it's also my birthday lol, but I also know a lot of vets and want to give 'em something to read), Thanksgiving, any maybe Christmas, though I'm hoping to be back at it by then.

The hiatus isn't exactly indefinite though. My sex drive, and by extension kink interest, fluctuates with the seasons, so that affects my ability to write things. By the time November rolls around, there's a good chance I'll have enough drive to get back to writing it. And on top of that, ODGAD frankly has too much written already for me to just drop it, or even just put it on the back burner half as long as some SFW stories I've gone on hiatus for on FFN.

Anyway, catch you when a holiday release drops! Later!