Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Water Intoxication Concerns

So this has been a thought that pops up every once in a while when I start drinking or holding.

Does anyone remember the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest that lead to a widespread water intoxication concern? I've been thinking about it for some time now. Since drinking lots of fluids is part of the omorashi activity, I worry that drinking too much water is something that might happen to someone on accident (and not a good accident, either). I wanted to make a post about this and warn people who may be new or unaware of this concern. The average kidney can flush out about 1 liter per hour, so it's probably not a good idea to drink higher than 20 L per day unless you're being extremely cautious. When there is too much water, the water dilutes blood sodium levels and moves to the cells, causing them to swell up.

I don't know if this applies to other liquids, such as soda or juice. That's where I actually have a few questions myself.

Will drinking lots of randomized liquids throughout the day raise a concern for potential water intoxication?

Will water intoxication be less of a threat if you have a good mixture of food and other non-liquids?

I hope that if you've read this, you've learned something and will be cautious when it comes to drinking. I just want everyone to be safe with what we do here.

Water intoxication is only under EXTREME circumstances. If I remember correctly, those douchebags made her drink a gallon of water inside of fifteen minutes. This is not something any ordinary person would ever do for any normal reason.

That said, it's still not good to drink too much too fast because even if it won't actually hurt you it can still make you woozy.

My personal rule is to drink one liter of water, then 500ml every 15-20 minutes until you consumed three liters, then don't go over that. Of course, give yourself more time between drinks if you feel even slightly weird. Three liters is more than enough to make anyone wet themselves sooner or later and it's a very safe quantity when spread out as I said. 

16 hours ago, ♥TheWetFinn♥ said:

Will drinking lots of randomized liquids throughout the day raise a concern for potential water intoxication?

Kind of... I mean if the fluids you are drinking are not diuretic it could.  But really, if you need to drink a lot in a very short period of time for water intoxication to be a concern.

Also, if you are doing this for omo related purposes, drinking this much is a bad idea.  It won't make you have to pee faster; In fact, it will have the opposite effect.  At a certain point your cells are going to start storing the extra water available to them, and at this point urine production is going to go down.  Additionally, one of the things that makes you feel desperate to pee is bladder irritation.  If your pee is too watered down, that means fewer irritants in the bladder and less desperate urges.  It might seem counter intuitive, but drinking too much water, too fast, will actually cause you to hold it longer.

To rapidly achieve desperation, you should alternate between drinking hydrating beverages, like water, and things that have a diuretic effect, like tea or soda.  This should maximize urine production.  Once you have maximized your kidney's ability to produce urine at a certain rate,  you aren't going to be able to fill your bladder faster by drinking more, so there is no added benefit in trying to drink as much as you can without getting sick or risking water toxicity effects.  The equivalent of one large water bottle an hour is more than enough.

17 hours ago, ♥TheWetFinn♥ said:

Will water intoxication be less of a threat if you have a good mixture of food and other non-liquids?

No, not really.  What happens with water intoxication is your bodily fluids, including your blood, become some dilute that the cells are no longer able to perform their tasks. Putting food in you isn't going to change this.  Mixing drinks with a diuretic effect in with the water you are drinking will help some, but again, see my previous statement regarding your kidney's only being able to make urine so fast anyway and how you are not going to be be able to speed this up, regardless of how much you drink.

I think that the best is use head and mind.

I start with drinking approx 1 liter drinks- not only water, usually one cup of tea, one cup of water, one cup of juice...

After some time I need to pee first time, but first pee goes always to the bathroom.

After it is it enough for me 0,5 l per one hour and I need every 15-30 min badly.

Of course, this kind of "pee day" is not every day.

You should eat when intentionally overhydrating.

Salad literally means salted, salad is one of the first widely electrolyte supplemented foods. Vegetables tend to have potassium and magnesium.  Almost all food has calcium,  and sodium isn't everywhere you can add it. 

When it comes to electrolytes I lIke vegetables the usual lack of sugar makes them ideal for adding electrolytes. Some juices like tomatoe juice have so much sodium and potassium that they can be dangerous too.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:38 AM, rachelkirwan said:

And if you are drinking a lot quickly, i've found that drinking warm drinks is better. I remember when I had to pound a couple of glasses quickly to fill my bladder for an ultrasound I got all shivery because all the cold water dropped my body temp!

I reckon that is the perfect answer! Look up the instructions for going for an ultrasound, and just follow them - they are obviously safe!

On 1/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, TVGuy said:

Kind of... I mean if the fluids you are drinking are not diuretic it could.  But really, if you need to drink a lot in a very short period of time for water intoxication to be a concern.

Also, if you are doing this for omo related purposes, drinking this much is a bad idea.  It won't make you have to pee faster; In fact, it will have the opposite effect.  At a certain point your cells are going to start storing the extra water available to them, and at this point urine production is going to go down.  Additionally, one of the things that makes you feel desperate to pee is bladder irritation.  If your pee is too watered down, that means fewer irritants in the bladder and less desperate urges.  It might seem counter intuitive, but drinking too much water, too fast, will actually cause you to hold it longer.

To rapidly achieve desperation, you should alternate between drinking hydrating beverages, like water, and things that have a diuretic effect, like tea or soda.  This should maximize urine production.  Once you have maximized your kidney's ability to produce urine at a certain rate,  you aren't going to be able to fill your bladder faster by drinking more, so there is no added benefit in trying to drink as much as you can without getting sick or risking water toxicity effects.  The equivalent of one large water bottle an hour is more than enough.

No, not really.  What happens with water intoxication is your bodily fluids, including your blood, become some dilute that the cells are no longer able to perform their tasks. Putting food in you isn't going to change this.  Mixing drinks with a diuretic effect in with the water you are drinking will help some, but again, see my previous statement regarding your kidney's only being able to make urine so fast anyway and how you are not going to be be able to speed this up, regardless of how much you drink.

Hyponatremia cannot be treated with diuretics alone. Diuretics have a wide range of mechanisms and drastic effects on many electrolytes. You can lose your extracellular sodium even faster. There is no sodium sparing diuretic. Very rarely loops diuretics are used but only in conjuction with sodium replacement.  The reason 'diuretic' shows up when you Google hyponatremia Is because it's the only drug used,  but that's because drugs aren't used for this condition. 

Caffeine and alcohol diuretic effects speed up the expulsion of sodium.  They cannot be used for hyponatremia. They don't only increase the expulsion of sodium,  they increase the demand for it. 

Food yes.  The electrolyte components of food are water soluble and make an immediate effect on extracellular sodium. Why oppose the most obvious answer when you don't understand the more complicated one? 

Increasing sodium and potassium intake is the only way you're not going to get kicked in the ass for drinking tap water as a sport.

Short term low blood sodium is the primary concern, but potassium can quickly become a secondary concern. 

Soda often has sodium in it. 

You can buy sodium chloride and potassium chloride salt. 

Gatorade= omorashi made easy.

Generally the body cannot expel water without also expelling extracellular sodium. Water follows the sodium through the nephron membranes,  this is called osmosis. Potassium is a similar charge,  and can force sodium out of a cell making the cell lose water to the osmotic gradient. 

Now if you have saline hooked up to your arm a loop diuretic can help cycle the saline in,  but without a sodium source this diuretic will make your extracellular sodium even lower.  This very particular diuretic can be used alongside diet changes.

Diuretics exacerbate water poisoning (which is characterized by hyponatremia) . The only sane cure is prevention via sodium and potassium intake. 

there is no drug on this earth that cannot make an electrolyte anomaly worst, eating is the correct answer. 

If you cannot stand to eat a calorie you can add potassium chloride and sodium chloride directly to your water. If you have no idea how to dose this,  then eat green stuff and drink Gatorade. 

Good grief. First off, don't drink 5+ gallons of water in a day because that is plain stupid and not necessary for desperation. Gatorade is garbage with hardly any electrolyte at all and more sugar than a person really wants to consume. Eat a salad. The salt content in the dressing should cover you for a full gallon of water. Want some potassium? Try orange juice or tomato juice. Both are loaded with potassium. This isn't rocket science. If you alternate a glass of water for either of those two juices, it is impossible to get water intoxication and guess what........you will need to pee. If you are concerned about the sugar in the OJ, or don't like tomato juice (Or V8 etc) then find some potassium rich foods, salt them well and have at it. 

This question is a huge it depends because what constitutes as too much can vary widely from person to person.

Our bot on the Discord will start telling people to slow down if they consume more than 1.5L/hour, as it's around this point that it can be considered dangerous for the average person.

But that also depends on you, your body weight, if you're consuming electrolytes and stuff with the water, and so on. But really there's no reason for you to be forcing yourself to consume ridiculous amounts of water in a short time period. The standard for extended holding contest on the discord that I've seen is 500ml every hour or so (with a bit more at the start of the hold) and is very effective.

The major rule of thumb is to listen to your body. If you're starting to feel unwell after drinking a lot of water, stop. Get some electrolytes in your system if you can, but don't think that will offset it and let you continue pushing yourself. Don't be stupid and risk your health.

1 hour ago, nappypants said:

Why do people who drink 10 pints of beer not get water poisoning then?

So that comes out to 4.7 liters. Using the previous measure of 1.5 liters per hour being dangerous, that means to be consumed safely, this amount of beer should be consumed over three or so hours. From what I know about drinking, this much beer would be difficult to drink very quickly anyway, so it’s likely to be consumed over a longer period of time than water.

secondly, beer isn’t water. While it doesn’t contain a lot of sodium, it contains some, while water has no salt. 

Lastly, someone consuming this much beer on an empty stomach is extremely unlikely, most people I know who drink heavily eat food before or during their drinking, which could help supply some electrolytes. 

There might be a more sophisticated explanation, but these reasons might at least partially explain why beer drinkers don’t get water poisoning.

PS: that much beer is over 13 standard drinks (13.52). Please do not take my comments as an endorsement of having 10 pints of beer, that amount of beer can lead to alcohol poisoning.

13 hours ago, nappypants said:

Why do people who drink 10 pints of beer not get water poisoning then?

Because a lot worst things are going to happen first and the electrolyte anomalies that result will be catagorized as alcohol poisoning even though the exess water consumption is also a part of the anomaly. 

Beer has electrolytes and if it didn't have a diuretic component it'd be near impossible to achieve hyponatremia before blacking out drunk. Due to this it will not likely start water poisoning but will exasperbate existing water poisoning. 

One of the primary mechanisms of alcohols damage is electrolyte anomaly.  Alcohol mimics the effects of water poisoning and it's able to do so even when you're dehydrated by body weight,  so it is correct to say one case of hyponatremia is water poisoning and the other is alcohol poisoning.

In short water poisoning via beer will always be chalked up as alcohol poisoning because even though mechanisms of water poisoning are present the alcohol is almost always the greater issue. 

Alcohol and deionized water cause low blood sodium. 

Alcohol will have less swelling because of its diuretic effect, but it will exasperbate the primary mechanism of water poisoning, which is low blood sodium. Both cause and external characteristics will differentiate water poisoning from alcohol poisoning,  even if both are present,  but your electrolyte anomaly will still be a complete dumpster fire that will keep the ER staff up till 4am trying to stabilize you.