Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I almost pissed my pants on a call with my best friend

My god, that's absolutely disgusting...

Who uses microwaved water in tea?

Sincerely,

An angry Brit 😉

Seriously though, I loved the story. I'd sorta like to do that with my friends some time

Edited by Squirtainly
Initial message didn't effectively convey sarcastic tone (see edit history)
32 minutes ago, homeanddry said:

This ^^ !!

Making it in the mug (as opposed to a pot, preferable with tea leaves) is enough of a stretch!

(plus the other bit too, of course)

You're forgetting the all-important faf-to-taste ratio. A pot of loose leaf tea is nicer but much more faf. Kettle-boiled water and a teabag (milk last) is perfectly acceptable under casual standards imho, but even cheap loose leaf is infinitely better than the best teabag.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with tea discussion!

9 hours ago, Squirtainly said:

You're forgetting the all-important faf-to-taste ratio. A pot of loose leaf tea is nicer but much more faf. Kettle-boiled water and a teabag (milk last) is perfectly acceptable under casual standards imho, but even cheap loose leaf is infinitely better than the best teabag.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with tea discussion!

With apologies for continuing the hijack...

The faff can certainly enhance the whole experience, so I try to embrace it. I spent most of my time alone in my last job, so always used to get the pot out for any visitors, but it also gave me the chance to faff with the tea that I made just for myself.

I’ll never take it for granted - I’ve (mostly) left that behind, and now spend most of my time at work living out of a flask (I’ll be out and about, away from a kettle, for seven hours this evening 😞 ), making tea with water that’s nowhere near boiling any more, or sometimes being supplied with well-intentioned but usually mediocre tea where the water’s also been in an insulated vessel for some time. Access to milk is difficult too - I either carry it in its own flask, go without, or rely on little sachets of UHT (yuck) milk.

But yes, for casual tea-drinking, freshly boiled water onto a teabag in the mug is acceptable. I have a couple of contraptions to dangle loose tea in a mug, but that’s a faff too. Absolutely no question about milk last, but is it okay to add the milk before removing the teabag?

Maybe this needs its own thread...

I see the case for microwaving the water if you’re really in a hurry but honestly, using the kettle really isn’t that much of a faff! I don’t think it takes much time or effort personally. And yes, loose tea leaves are always the way to go. I barely have any tea bags in my tea cabinet but I have like 50 varieties of loose tea in little boxes, always waiting to be chosen 

2 hours ago, Bismiris said:

What do you like about Stardew? I got it a few days ago and can't help but feel lost as to what I'm even supposed to be doing.

I like a lot for many reasons! It's a very simple game with pretty basic premises: farm, make money, repeat. It can get slow (especially in the beginning) but having someone else to play with me really got me into the game. Also lots of fishing. 

Things you can do to make the game more fun:

1: Fish! It's difficult in the beginning, but that's what drew me towards it. It's also a fun way to pass the time in game if you have nothing to do while still making money.
2: Talk to the NPC's every day and try to remember to get them gifts.
3: Farm so much. Like as many seeds as possible at a time. The payoff of all the hard work is soooo satisfying.
4: Work on the community center! Once it's unlocked of course. It gives the game more of a purpose, has good rewards, and even unlocks places and advances the game
5: Mining. It's randomized so there's something different to explore and find every day.

Really, the first season is the hardest and the slowest. Once you get past that, stuff starts to pick up and there's lots to do. Just keep at it, and it starts to become fun!! ^-^

6 hours ago, puddlesncuddle said:

I like a lot for many reasons! It's a very simple game with pretty basic premises: farm, make money, repeat. It can get slow (especially in the beginning) but having someone else to play with me really got me into the game. Also lots of fishing. 

Things you can do to make the game more fun:

1: Fish! It's difficult in the beginning, but that's what drew me towards it. It's also a fun way to pass the time in game if you have nothing to do while still making money.
2: Talk to the NPC's every day and try to remember to get them gifts.
3: Farm so much. Like as many seeds as possible at a time. The payoff of all the hard work is soooo satisfying.
4: Work on the community center! Once it's unlocked of course. It gives the game more of a purpose, has good rewards, and even unlocks places and advances the game
5: Mining. It's randomized so there's something different to explore and find every day.

Really, the first season is the hardest and the slowest. Once you get past that, stuff starts to pick up and there's lots to do. Just keep at it, and it starts to become fun!! ^-^

Thanks, I have been mostly talking to NPCs and mining. I just hit summer so all my spring crops died and made me lose interest in it.