Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Cooking with pee

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, Transwomo said:

Have you ever tried to cook with pee? Or like tea with pee. I imagine cooking pasta with pee or maybe a cake mix where you pee or something. What do you think about it? Have you ever tried? 

This seems like a bad idea.  Urea breaks down to ammonia which combines with the water component of urine giving you ammonia hydroxide. Applying heat, such as in cooking, would only speed up the process of breaking down urea.  Ammonia, and ammonia hyrdroxide, is extremely toxic.  Exposure can cause severe skin irritation and chemical burns, so ingesting it would seem to fall under the category of bad ideas.  In high enough amounts it will also cause kidney and liver damage.  Inhaling it can cause such severe respiratory tract irritation as to cause suffocation and death.

All I remember is the fake myth about using pee to ferment stuff in the old days. 

1 hour ago, FilthyPhoenix said:

An interesting idea, but I actually felt obligated to do some research on this because I doubted that pee would even work as a substitute for water.

But apparently it's been commonplace in Dongyang, China to boil eggs using urine for centuries.

Oh god, shouldn't of looked that up. 🤮

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

Edited by Luna (see edit history)

You could cook with pee, but why?

Using as a substitute for boiling/steaming: Urine has a lot of salt which would make seasoning the water unnecessary as it is pre-seasoned. Urea will break down into ammonia which can be toxic on its own. Depending on what you are cooking the ammonia may react with the food and cause a change in the taste. Having said that, I would not recommend this as you may ingest too much ammonia which is toxic. Additionally you should do the boiling in a WELL ventilated area as ammonia will boil out. 

Drying: You could dry the urine into a fine power almost like a salt. This will smell terrible (NileRed makes a video about extracting urea from urine). The salt he made could have some ammonia chloride which would act as a base and reduce the temperature necessary for the Maillard reaction to take place (the reaction responsible for browning). It could be okay in this method as the amounts are likely low so it is unlikely to cause damage after it is dried. Having said that, the boiling part STINKS and you may be exposed to high amounts of ammonia. Also if you really want the Maillard reaction to work, use baking soda or baking powder, that will brown nicely. Or use an egg depending on the recipe.

Using as an ingredient in baking: Ammonia is a weird liquid as it is a base and a good emulsifier (hence why it is used in windex). If you used the liquid in the baking, you would need an acidic solution to counteract the base effect (something like buttermilk or lemon) However if you added the ammonia, you would alter the ratio of ingredients and the cake may be too wet and fall apart. Urea complicates the matter further as it will break down and become more basic while the residual urea will add a stale taste to the baking. This method will probably result in the least breakdown and may result as a browning agent as urea is slightly yellow from the urine. Also there will be a lot of salt so whatever you are baking will be very salty.

The only advantage I can see with urine is that it can cure a protein "easier" than salt, which is what a virgin boy egg is. Having said that, salt is ubiquitous and if you are really that short of water that you are not able to get it, you have a much bigger problem than needing to eat.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, TVGuy said:

This seems like a bad idea.  Urea breaks down to ammonia which combines with the water component of urine giving you ammonia hydroxide. Applying heat, such as in cooking, would only speed up the process of breaking down urea.  Ammonia, and ammonia hyrdroxide, is extremely toxic.  Exposure can cause severe skin irritation and chemical burns, so ingesting it would seem to fall under the category of bad ideas.  In high enough amounts it will also cause kidney and liver damage.  Inhaling it can cause such severe respiratory tract irritation as to cause suffocation and death.

Ammonia is pretty pungent, I don't think it would be easy to accidentally breath enough to do harm. When I was a kid, my mother used to regularly add ammonia to the wash for some reason or other, and I am still here to tell the tale. Maybe that helped me to get the OMO fetish!

Come to think of it, men's urinals often smell of ammonia, but I have yet to find a dead body in one!

Edited by David_E (see edit history)