Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Why do women put up with longer restroom lines?

It just seems to be really unfair that guys can go right away but women cant and I have many stories and sightings of long lines that I can share if this is of people's interest on here. But why are women willing to put up with lines and not be more vocal about it? Alternatively, why do women still line up if the lines are already really long? Do women find if unfair or do they find it more natural since it has occured to women since childhood that they are used to it. The rare times I see a short line for the men's room I get really impatient and sometimes just hold it. 

28 minutes ago, AliasnameTO said:

They have no choice? The only reason for a long line is if it's the only toilets around. Plus most of the time the wait isn't totally insane.

You'd have to build women's rooms like 3/2 to guys' to mitigate it and that would be an awkward conversation to have.

Why would it be an awkward convo? It seems only logical. It just seems like something that should be addressed because even as a guy I think it’s unfair that there’s often a line. I am not sure where you live but it’s not unheard of to have 15-20mins lines wait where I go to. Also, same with between classes in college where I have had female friend hold it for a full 90mins class cause the lines are long but don’t seem to complain about the line disparity. My male friends even when there’s a line of two people for 6urinals complain there aren’t enough restrooms. Are women just used to it? 

24 minutes ago, Angusburger said:

Why would it be an awkward convo? It seems only logical. It just seems like something that should be addressed because even as a guy I think it’s unfair that there’s often a line. I am not sure where you live but it’s not unheard of to have 15-20mins lines wait where I go to. Also, same with between classes in college where I have had female friend hold it for a full 90mins class cause the lines are long but don’t seem to complain about the line disparity. My male friends even when there’s a line of two people for 6urinals complain there aren’t enough restrooms. Are women just used to it? 

15-20 minutes is unheard of to me so that really sucks. This solution would raise equality points. Practically speaking it's easier for guys. But can we quantify that? Unless you back up that claim with stats it looks like unfairness to give women more.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just one I'm lucky enough not to have to deal with.

Edited by AliasnameTO (see edit history)
1 hour ago, MisakaBestGirl said:

I think it’s because there’s not much most people can do about it, and most places don’t exactly have the space to install twice as many toilets for girls. I generally won’t queue up and will just hold it in until I get home, but that’s more because I’m too shy to tell anyone when I need the bathroom than because I don’t like queues.

But do women find it unfair or is more so accepted as a part of life?

Part of me says the simplest solution would be to just put an end to sexual segregation of public restrooms. Then any excessive lines would be due purely to too few toilets rather than poor distribution of available toilets.

Sadly, there's too many people who grew up never questioning the segregation of restrooms who will defend the tradition tooth and nail, deny potential benefits of unisex restrooms, and exaggerate the benefits, real or imagined, of keeping restrooms segregated.

What choice do they have? They have to wait if they want to pee. Sometimes they use men's rooms, but most women won't do that, unless it's an emergency. But in reality, long lines in front of ladies rooms are mostly at nightclubs, big concerts and other big public events where is lots of people and not enough bathrooms. In normal day to day life women don't have to wait to use a bathroom.

It's funny that I get asked sometimes when dressed as women, why I wait in a long line for ladies room instead of using men's room. I usually just answer with a question "would you go in there if you were me?" Mostly they say "Probably not."

I don't think this forum is the place for discussing gender equality issues, but now that you ask...

Firstly, we ARE vocal. If you open the Wikipedia page called "Potty Parity", in the links section you'll see a lot of articles proving it.

And secondly, we aren't MORE vocal probably because men make fun of us for raising this question. "Women spend ages in bathroom stalls and then complain on long lines hahahaha stupid b***s why do they do it lol"

Edited by soo-pis-sed (see edit history)
9 hours ago, Angusburger said:

But do women find it unfair or is more so accepted as a part of life?

I certainly do, and I know quite a lot of who do, but generally people accept it as an unfair thing that they can’t do anything about and although they complain to each other you don’t really see protests about it or anything. To me it’s not a big problem as I’m too shy to use the toilets often even when they are empty. To my friends it’s an annoyance but it’s rarely serious enough to cause accidents.

The longest I’ve ever seen someone have to wait was about 20 minutes, but almost all of the time it’s half that or less, so it’s not a serious enough problem for most people to care too much about.

5 hours ago, MisakaBestGirl said:

I certainly do, and I know quite a lot of who do, but generally people accept it as an unfair thing that they can’t do anything about and although they complain to each other you don’t really see protests about it or anything. To me it’s not a big problem as I’m too shy to use the toilets often even when they are empty. To my friends it’s an annoyance but it’s rarely serious enough to cause accidents.

The longest I’ve ever seen someone have to wait was about 20 minutes, but almost all of the time it’s half that or less, so it’s not a serious enough problem for most people to care too much about.

True although when you are in a rush like to catch a train or go to class I imagine even a 10 mins line can be inconvenient or when desperate. I agree it probably rarely causes accidents but I can imagine it causing some impatience or pain. But it seems like there is a higher annoyance when you see the guys have no lines as opposed to guys having an equal line? idk it just seems like something that makes the annoyance worse and I have guy friends that  make comments about the lines

Edited by Angusburger (see edit history)
10 minutes ago, Angusburger said:

True although when you are in a rush like to catch a train or go to class I imagine even a 10 mins line can be inconvenient or when desperate. I agree it probably rarely causes accidents but I can imagine it causing some impatience or pain. But it seems like there is a higher annoyance when you see the guys have no lines as opposed to guys having an equal line? idk it just seems like something that makes the annoyance worse and I have guy friends that  make comments about the lines

It can definitely be inconvenient. Less for me as I rarely use public toilets but for others it is a big problem. My friends sometimes end up running late because of long queues and don’t always get a chance to go when they need it.

Of course there’s more annoyance when you guys have no lines! It’s so annoying queuing for ages when people are just going in and out of the bathroom next door. Especially for me as usually I’m waiting for my friends to queue while I still have to go myself since I don’t like public bathrooms. If you had equal lines, it wouldn’t be as annoying I expect.

It’s mainly an annoyance rather than problem though. It can lead to some impatience or discomfort while queueing or holding it in rather than waiting but nothing really severe most of the time.

Edited by MisakaBestGirl (see edit history)
5 minutes ago, MisakaBestGirl said:

It can definitely be inconvenient. Less for me as I rarely use public toilets but for others it is a big problem. My friends sometimes end up running late because of long queues and don’t always get a chance to go when they need it.

Of course there’s more annoyance when you guys have no lines! It’s so annoying queuing for ages when people are just going in and out of the bathroom next door. Especially for me as usually I’m waiting for my friends to queue while I still have to go myself since I don’t like public bathrooms. If you had equal lines, it wouldn’t be as annoying I expect.

It’s mainly an annoyance rather than problem though. It can lead to some impatience or discomfort while queueing or holding it in rather than waiting but nothing really severe most of the time.

True I know a female friend in college who regularly holds it through a 90minslecture because she has back to back classes and there’s a line for women’s restroom and none for the men’s but she seems to only be annoyed or used to it because she doesn’t get mad.if I were in her shoe I think I would be pretty mad or annoyed knowing guys never face the conundrum at school between classes to go or show up late for class and not get a good spot (attendance was taken for this class at the start  so you can’t be late)

Sometimes I wish my fellow guy peers would not make sexist remarks when they see a line because I imagine it would be pretty annoying to hear for females in line. 

why dont you go to if you are already spending the time waiting for your friends or do you prefer not to sit on public restrooms or just don’t need to go?

Edited by Angusburger (see edit history)
28 minutes ago, Angusburger said:

True I know a female friend in college who regularly holds it through a 90minslecture because she has back to back classes and there’s a line for women’s restroom and none for the men’s but she seems to only be annoyed or used to it because she doesn’t get mad.if I were in her shoe I think I would be pretty mad or annoyed knowing guys never face the conundrum at school between classes to go or show up late for class and not get a good spot (attendance was taken for this class at the start  so you can’t be late)

Sometimes I wish my fellow guy peers would not make sexist remarks when they see a line because I imagine it would be pretty annoying to hear for females in line. 

why dont you go to if you are already spending the time waiting for your friends or do you prefer not to sit on public restrooms or just don’t need to go?

I quite often hold it during classes and lectures but rarely for that reason. Usually I’d just prioritise using the bathroom over getting to class since that’s now I was brought up, but more often I’d be too shy to go and just hold it in until I could go home. 90 minutes isn’t that long unless you’re really bursting.

I’m with you on wishing that. Some guys can be really rude sometimes and I just don’t understand it. I’m generally pretty old-fashioned in some ways, like I’m not one of those people who thinks catcalling should be banned, I just think it should frowned upon, but sexism and some of the abuse some guys come out with is really horrible and I wish they wouldn’t say it sometimes.

Mainly because I’m massively shy when I talk to anyone in person. I’ll tell my friends I’m fine and that I don’t need to go unless I obviously can’t hide it anymore, and even then if I think I can make it home I won’t use a public bathroom if I can avoid it. I just really don’t like peeing in public places even in a closed cubicle, and the poor condition of most facilities really don’t help with that. You’d think that with separate gendered bathrooms you wouldn’t have to worry about finding pee on the seat but it’s not always the case.

Sometimes if all my friends are going and I’m in somewhere where I know the toilets are good, like my university, I’ll go with them. But generally I’ll try and pretend I’m fine rather than tell them. It’s like a deeply-ingrained fear of my mine.

Edited by MisakaBestGirl
Clarification (see edit history)
11 minutes ago, The Dark Wolf said:

@MisakaBestGirl I hope this has never led to a pee accident. I used to be shy about saying when I needed to go as well, but eventually realized it would be way less embarrassing than wetting myself if the situation got out of control.

Of course it's less embarrassing, but people always think they'll make it, up to the point when they don't and than it's too late.

4 hours ago, The Dark Wolf said:

@MisakaBestGirl I hope this has never led to a pee accident. I used to be shy about saying when I needed to go as well, but eventually realized it would be way less embarrassing than wetting myself if the situation got out of control.

In the past it’s caused me to have a few, especially when I was younger and in school. Generally if I’m really desperate and won’t make it home I will admit how badly I need to go if I’m with friends and will use a public toilet, since it’s less embarrassing than wetting myself as you said.

4 hours ago, CarmenCD said:

Of course it's less embarrassing, but people always think they'll make it, up to the point when they don't and than it's too late.

Yeah. I’ve got pretty good at determining what I can hold now though, so I can tell if I’m not going to make it at least some of the time.

1 minute ago, MisakaBestGirl said:

In the past it’s caused me to have a few, especially when I was younger and in school. Generally if I’m really desperate and won’t make it home I will admit how badly I need to go if I’m with friends and will use a public toilet, since it’s less embarrassing than wetting myself as you said.

Yeah. I’ve got pretty good at determining what I can hold now though, so I can tell if I’m not going to make it at least some of the time.

Oh. I hope you were able to get over it, and my holds were helpful in finding levels of desperation I've never known before so I know what it takes to suffer a pee accident.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Wolf said:

Oh. I hope you were able to get over it, and my holds were helpful in finding levels of desperation I've never known before so I know what it takes to suffer a pee accident.

It’s still a problem as I’m often too afraid to tell my friends about it or use public toilets, but I’ve got brave enough to stop myself from wetting myself most of the time. Holding it in is always harder when you are in public than at home. I find.

5 minutes ago, MisakaBestGirl said:

It’s still a problem as I’m often too afraid to tell my friends about it or use public toilets, but I’ve got brave enough to stop myself from wetting myself most of the time. Holding it in is always harder when you are in public than at home. I find.

I meant the few pee accidents. And in any event it's great that that doesn't happen anymore.