Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Diaper use in real life

On 9/1/2020 at 5:02 PM, betanumeric said:

There is no such thing as 'continence', unless you define it as 'a very low, but non-zero, probability that you will wet yourself'. To the best of my knowledge, the probability that a healthy childless woman in her twenties will wet herself goes down from 'regularly incontinent' to about 2% or 3% per year. So most women reach the age of thirty without ever wetting themselves - but over a quarter of their friends *will* have done so. 

I guess a lot of women will have wet themselves through temporary circumstances, e.g. alcohol (the back seat of a taxi frequently becomes a makeshift toilet for a woman who's had a few too many and didn't go before leaving the bar!), or a bladder infection. So probably most have done so in some form or other... and there's the question of whether a small leak counts as "wetting yourself".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This reminded me of a story I read on a popular DL blog.  Copied from google translate...   It once happened that my husband had to go to the toilet urgently, but unfortunately the toilet wa

This is a little way off your topic but...   Incontinence isn't a 'old people' thing: the prevalence among healthy women in their twenties is surprisingly high.  About one in eight of them w

Precision about the diving, diapers are used in some cases when using dry suits (as the name suggests, you are dry in there). It is used in cold water diving (not necessarily deep). For men, there is

...So there is an episode of Grey's Anatomy with Diaper content. 

I've seen the clip online years ago (on youtube) and it was very tame. Little more than a few mentions of diaper wearing and a brief shot of two female surgeons walking down the hall focusing on their butts, though you can't really tell if they are wearing.

The idea is enticing but the actual episode is a bit of a letdown.

In any case, here's a clip with all of the diaper scenes.

I hope that police officers on observation are now put in nappies, after the police shot the Brazilian, Jean Charles de Menezes, because the observer had his back turned while taking a piss and didn't photograph de Menezes leaving his Flat.  

Unable to compare the likeness with the identification photo, the observer then wrongly jumped to the conclusion that he was a suspect.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:27 PM, nappypants said:

there's the question of whether a small leak counts as "wetting yourself".

Yeah, that. Those estimates of 2 or 3% are about voiding - the active process, the contraction of the bladder that expels half or all of it: an accident necessitating a change of clothing.

Little leaks are very, very common indeed: all the surveys asking healthy, childless, women in their twenties to record 'any involuntary loss of urine' come back with a consistent result.

Thirty percent of those women report an involuntary loss of urine in the last 30 days.

A little over a third of them are going to be the 'frequent flyers' - the one-in-eight healthy women in their twenties who are mildly, moderately, or severely incontinent: ask them if they've wet themselves in any thirty-day period, by any amount, and all them will say yes: but only one or two of them will have 'wet' themselves, leaving a puddle or a wet diaper. 

The rest will all report tiny leaks and dribbles: maybe a lot of them, for the incontinent ones, but they wont have needed to change their clothes.

The other twenty?  They are the general population, and none of them are likely to have 'any involuntart loss' to report the following month, unless they are adjacent to a diagnosis of 'incontinent'. And it'll be small leaks, droplets and brief dribbles, invisible to anyone who isn't them.

So: if you could get a straight answer, one in a hundred healthy women in their twenties have dripped or dribbled a bit today.

But you'd have to ask ten thousand of them to find one, just one, who'd found herself standing or sitting in a puddle of her own piss in the last 24 hours.

13 hours ago, silvermoon said:

Kinda curious where you're getting these figures from, because I am in that 1/1000.

A quick point: that's one in 10,000 out in the general population of healthy women in their 20's who are not  incontinent, and I should have been clearer about that.

The figure is far higher when we bring women with a recognised bladder problem into the count. This research paper - https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.3109/00016349709047789 - gives a higher number than I'd expect for daily incontinence in that age group, of 1.3% for daily wetting and a further 2.6% for once a week or more, but it does give a breakdown by type in the under-30 age group.

Larger studies behind paywalls settle on or around a 0.7% figure for 'severe' incontinence, defined as 'more than once a week, wet so as to need a change of clothing' and a 0.3% number for women in their 20's with a 'reflex bladder' that voids with no voluntary control at all.

So I would put out a number of 1 in 100 to 1 in 200, for all women in the 20's, counting the severely-incontinent ones, who will,today, find themselves sitting in a puddle or in a very wet diaper and waiting-out their bladder as it runs all the way out to empty.

From what you've just told me, you're somewhere in those numbers.

I make no guess as to who or how many are happy with it, and/or letting it happen voluntarily.

Getting the numbers for the "of course I'm not incontinent" women is a lot harder.

Go and google for 'prevalence' and '20-30' and 'urinary incontinence', and the magic 'prevalence' search term steps over all the consumer-grade generalisations and gets you research articles with data tables.

See what you find, and make sure that you can extract a breakdown of the numbers *by age* because almost all research into incontinence ignores women under 50.

The next problem is that 'prevalence' is not 'incidence' - we know how many women, but not how often it happens in the general population. There is no publicly-available dataset giving you *what* happened alongside 'how often'. That is to say: the world is awash in  survey data from ticking boxes for 'Any involuntary loss in the last 30 days' but nothing, zip, nada for 'How bad was it?

Here's the one that does: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1052123/pdf/jepicomh00254-0077.pdf

It's not the only only survey out there, and the incidence is higher than you would expect: but it's the one with 'how bad' as well as 'how often'... And that data is very thin. You will need to get out there and read a *lot* of papers, in order to collate enough data to get a prevalence *and incidence* curve for involuntary voiding that stretches out into the general population of continent women.

Here's another good one: https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aogs.13149 - surveyed across the German-Danish border region, and it tells you that about six percent of women in their twenties experienced urge incontinence in the last thirty days. However, they don't tell you 'how bad was it?' and, although urgency with an actual loss is usually a change-your-clothing loss, I'm going at place it at a quarter of that number being total losses. The bit that you have to fill in for yourself is that the severely and moderately-incontinent 'frequent fliers' are in there: and so are all the women who were pregnant (about a third of all pregnant women wet themselves completely, once or more in the pregnancy) - check which surveys exclude pregnancy!

If you work your way through that, and you average out over several more, you'll get to my baseline risk for confident and continent women in heir twenties, that they will wet themselves - as in: standing or sitting in a large puddle - is that it'll happen to about three percent of them, every year.

Divide that by 365 to get the daily probability, and it falls out at 1 in 10,000.

The error bars on that are pretty wide, though:  it's somewhere between 1 in 5000, and 1 in 30,000.

Among other things, a getting a precise number on "Did you wet yourself badly enough to require a change of clothing?" would involve asking a fair number of young women: "about that time you popped a squat, right where you were, because you felt it let go in your pants, and you kinda got away without needing to change, although a lot of women in a skirt would've  thrown 'em away and gone 'commando', or maybe gone home at that point, but you just pulled them back up - wet! - and carried right on with your night on the town" and if she was controlled enough to get them down for most of the piss that she did, do we count this as an uncontrolled wetting at all?

...And somehow, I don't think the women who do that every couple of weeks are going to start wearing a diaper - not even if they lose the gamble that a squat will save them and end up pissing the lot into their pants, a couple of times a year. Or even every month, if the company they're keeping is OK with it.

Edited by betanumeric
clarification required (see edit history)

Hiking (if you’re in a busier forest), road trips, going to a concert, seeing a sports game because the bathrooms get trashed, seeing a movie (it’s annoying to have to get up in the middle of a movie), university exams, being out on the town in general (trust me I wet myself in this scenario), going to a bar.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, Amaya said:

Hiking (if you’re in a busier forest), road trips, going to a concert, seeing a sports game because the bathrooms get trashed, seeing a movie (it’s annoying to have to get up in the middle of a movie), university exams, being out on the town in general (trust me I wet myself in this scenario), going to a bar.

They really should market nappies for these scenarios...

On 9/24/2020 at 1:17 PM, nappypants said:

They really should market nappies for these scenarios...

Facts. The funny part is that if they were marketed as such more people would buy them versus the social stigma. This idea was tested out in a store. The men’s and women’s section signs were changed and nobody took notice at all. It was a social experiment that I cannot remember the name of. It dealt with how humans blindly follow labels so much and umm...I’m sleepy and rambling but I think it made sense lol. Otherwise, I’ll try again later xD

• 9 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, SergioUK said:

In the past I've worn when going out for a blast on the motorbike wearing one-piece leathers and not planning to stop for several hours but having drunk a modest amount (of soft drink) to stay hydrated if it gets unexpectedly hot.  I've even worn latex tights in case of overflow (as the sitting position on a sports bike isn't ideal for maximum nappy capacity) and on one occasion a full latex catsuit under the leathers.

In the current situation I'm wearing when I go to the pub as I'm only risking sitting outside and in any case avoiding public toilets.   If I do have to start making site visits again in the near future I shall be wearing for those.

Wetting in one piece leathers with latex layers sounds amazing. It's one fantasy I haven't tried yet.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:37 AM, wetsuit said:

Wetting in one piece leathers with latex layers sounds amazing. It's one fantasy I haven't tried yet.

When I was on the bike I'd be focussed on the riding and only wet if I really needed to on a safe stretch of open road, but I'd stop occasionally to stretch my legs, admire the scenery and drink some more and might use the nappy then.  Once home I'd keep the leathers on for a bit if I could to get maximum 'value' from the nappy.  🙂

Apparently there's this red carpet fashion event, the Met Gala, with a lot of big name stars and celebrities. A lot of celebs' dresses are super fancy and intricate and are sometimes actually stitched on to the person wearing them in some cases. The ceremonies are super long so apparently some of the celebs opt for diapers to avoid any mishaps. Also, officially no smoking is allowed at it while inside and once you're in the building you're pretty much locked in, so the bathrooms end up being taken over by all the smokers and become room sized ash trays which does not sound pleasant and many prefer to avoid if possible.

https://radaronline.com/videos/met-ball-stars-wear-diapers-under-gowns/

Kinda makes me wonder if there are any other events, like the Oscars, where this is a thing.

A lot of people in the world end up with some amount of pee in their underwear on a daily basis and honestly it's just stigma keeping people out of diapers at this point. The marketers are trying to shift the needle but they've done some studies and the leap to diapers is one a lot of people are desperate to avoid because of the stigma.

Convince people that being in diapers for whatever reason between the ages of 14 and 60 is both ok and perhaps even pretty cool, and half the planet will be in them.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, China Girl said:

At least in China there is some attempt to market diapers to adult women. But not many are interested in wearing them.

So hot that celebrities are using diapers under their dresses at meetings like that! Maybe that will help make it more acceptable...

Are there links to these sources? I could not find it on the Chinese Internet with a google translator...

I wear them on a long strike of video-calls; also while doing multi-stop-shopping-trips that take a long time; since last week I'll also wear them when over at friends where I don't really know how the situation is going to pan out. On the train I opt for just having them but not using them – if possible, since I can't really use them while sitting without being at the border of bursting. 

Or on a long (solo-)car-drive. During one of the lockdowns I had to drive 7h with my female flatmate. We both had to wear diapers since all the toilets at the gas-stations were closed due to local restrictions and we were also not allowed to leave the car on a long (approx. 3h) stretch of road. So we both wore diapers.  

Today I had like 5h of solo-driving and the diaper was only filled after arriving (after standing up from the long drive). I couldn't make a stop at a gas-station to use the toilet (again local restrictions) so I only had one stop at some rest-station where I peed in a bottle not wanting to use my diaper just yet and not having a chance to get changed in the car or anywhere else before arriving at my destination.