Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

PSA for those of you that use crappy store brand diapers.

It's possible that I may come off as a bit of a shill but I plan to impart the wonders of cloth diapers and a bit of my own experience.

Point 1 flooding : cheap store boughts can't handle a flood. We've all experinced it, you held it in for the sake of an accident and are forced to play the dangerous game of to leak or not to leak.

-Cloth diapers on the other hand have a surprisingly high immediate and sustained capacity with a booster mine can handle 2 or 3 major floods.

Point 2 pricing: cloth diapers have a bar for entry that you need to get past, so make it a christmas present or get them with your tax return. I strongly recomend getting some boosters to start as well doubling the inserts on my cloth diaper seems to qualitatively affect capacity.

While disposables are immediately cheaper cloth will pay for itself within a year (and this is accounting for detergent cost as well.)

If you don't have acess to a working washer and dryer cloth is impossible.

Point 3 messing: disposables win out here hands down, getting the mess out of inserts is rough. If you are like me, and shower when changing out of a messy diaper I strongly reccomend hosing that sucker down and wringing it out when your done.

Point 4 being a closet DL: one of the largest benifits of cloth diapers that if you only keep a few of them you can hide the shells and have the inserts in plain sight by calling them a dust rag or sweat towel. People might assume you're a bit weird for keeping a stack of them on your dresser, but hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the flipside the shells will be a hell of a lot harder to explain away.

For a closet dl I can understand the risk of ordering online but you only need to bite the bullet once for cloth

I would argue that the cost of a luandry mat probably offsets any savings given that washing and drying a load is about $4-5 depending on your laundromats pricing. At that cost buying disposables seems like the more practical option unless you have at least 10 cloth diapers.

There is also the fact that you would be laundering your diapers in a public setting which I sure many would not be eager to do.

Edit: on the subject of luandry used dryer sheets make pretty decent diaper liners so long as the mess isint too wattery or mushy.

Edited by simoneenomis
See above (see edit history)
On 12/26/2019 at 11:51 PM, simoneenomis said:

It's possible that I may come off as a bit of a shill but I plan to impart the wonders of cloth diapers and a bit of my own experience.

Point 1 flooding : cheap store boughts can't handle a flood. We've all experinced it, you held it in for the sake of an accident and are forced to play the dangerous game of to leak or not to leak.

-Cloth diapers on the other hand have a surprisingly high immediate and sustained capacity with a booster mine can handle 2 or 3 major floods.

Point 2 pricing: cloth diapers have a bar for entry that you need to get past, so make it a christmas present or get them with your tax return. I strongly recomend getting some boosters to start as well doubling the inserts on my cloth diaper seems to qualitatively affect capacity.

While disposables are immediately cheaper cloth will pay for itself within a year (and this is accounting for detergent cost as well.)

If you don't have acess to a working washer and dryer cloth is impossible.

Point 3 messing: disposables win out here hands down, getting the mess out of inserts is rough. If you are like me, and shower when changing out of a messy diaper I strongly reccomend hosing that sucker down and wringing it out when your done.

Point 4 being a closet DL: one of the largest benifits of cloth diapers that if you only keep a few of them you can hide the shells and have the inserts in plain sight by calling them a dust rag or sweat towel. People might assume you're a bit weird for keeping a stack of them on your dresser, but hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On the flipside the shells will be a hell of a lot harder to explain away.

For a closet dl I can understand the risk of ordering online but you only need to bite the bullet once for cloth

You make a lot of great points. I've been considering cloth for a while just to try for fun, specifically the eco-able brand. I'm not sure whether a product like those would be as effective as the traditional cloth diaper + plastic pants setup though. What brand do you use? 

Anybody have experience with eco-ables?

• 2 weeks later...