Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Could you survive only 4 minutes of pee time

Guest RandomMagicFan

Guest RandomMagicFan

I was sat at work today and thought how many people actually survive these conditions. My work has a rule in the call centre of you get 7 minutes for break time, this would be getting a drink or going to the toilet, the shifts are 8 hours. Minus like 30 seconds walk there, 30 second walk back.

That leaves around 4 minute pee time for the whole 8 hour shift not including any time you want to get a drink. I was curious how many of you actually think you'd survive that

If you pee before starting and are cautious about the amount that you drink, and then use your four minutes to pee halfway through your shift, it would work for anyone with an average-sized, healthy bladder.  But some people have smaller capacity, and some have medical conditions or are taking medications that require more frequent urination, so they'd have to either get a medical dispensation or find another job.  God forbid that you should get an attack of diarrhea!

Some of the worst desperation I've had while on the job was when I worked security. Because of the nature of what we were guarding I was not allowed to leave my post until someone came in my place. So if everyone was busy I had to wait to be relieved. Pun intended.

It was the first time I wore Diapers at work. It was fun but it's all so I can assist station

3 hours ago, sammilove said:

I work 10-12Hr days and I usually only get one or two potty breaks. But I can usually manage it pretty well as I hardly ever am standing still long enough. And one of the manager perks is if I need to excuse myself to pee then I usually can. Although I can see how this would be very problematic for some.

I’d have a lot of wet shifts. That’s a lot of holding!

4 minutes ago, sammilove said:

It sounds like A lot but it really isn’t that bad. Like I said, all that moving around causes me to absorb most of the liquids I take in. Now when I do scheduling or admin stuff, it’s a different story.

I’d have to drink a lot less coffee and water. I’ll bet I run to the men’s room 8 or so times a day to pee. More in summer when it’s hotter and I’m drinking more for running.

suppose I could adjust but it would be hard and risky at first. 🙂

Guest w92iasd

If I take a morning pee then I honestly think I could survive that... my day typically lasts 10 hrs with just one pee break and its usually just because I feel uncomfortable trying to hold it in public with unexpected situations that could arise

I always drink lots of tea and water at work to stay well hydrated so I'd really struggle with only 4 mins to pee during a whole 8 hour shift. Back when I worked in retail I was entitled to a 30 minute lunch break by law if my shift was longer than 6 hours and then I'd sometimes get a shorter 5 minute break later in the day, unless the store was busy. I'd often end up bursting to piss at least once during my shift especially if I didn't get my 5 minutes in the afternoon, so I'd be stuck serving customers while dying to pee with no chance of relief anytime soon. I often worked 5 hour shifts to cover the busy afternoon period and wasn't actually entitled to a break on these shifts, occasionally I'd be allowed a quick 5 minute break towards the end of the shift so I could relieve myself but on busy days I'd have hold my bladder until the store closed.

Speaking of working in retail and toilet breaks, I used to work with a woman who hated using the toilets in the store where we worked and would try to last her whole shift without peeing. She was studying dance at college and was very slim and petite, and she would always drink so much water during her shift that after 5 or 6 hours she would be absolutely bursting to go, visibly flustered and fidgeting with her legs crossed while sitting behind the till or pacing around while stood up serving customers. By the end of her shift she would often be really desperate to pee and her bladder would be so full that it would be noticeably bulging and she would have to undo the top button on her tight black work trousers, hidden underneath her jacket. Even in that desperate state she would rather wait until she got home to the comfort of her own toilet.    

Omo fun aside, it sounds pretty appalling. We're legally entitled to a decent break - a minimum of twenty minutes uninterrupted, IIRC - in UK employment law. I'm lucky to have a decent union that's secured tight agreements for break lengths (and timings) according to shift length. Outside those times and other unplanned opportunities (there's enough), if I really need to go to the toilet then I'll go, because the consequences of being distracted by it are severe, and they can't really argue with that unless it's a regular problem.

Nope, no way it's happening.  I'd have to wear diapers to work if I was that limited on bathroom time.  I drink a lot of water, and if I was in your position, it would be worse because I tend to drink more sitting still that when I'm moving around the office.  So in a call center environment with only 7 minutes to pee during the shift, I'd inevitably end up wet or having to wear diapers so I don't get the office wet.

That's also inhumane work conditions.  Where I am, state law requires at least a 20 minute lunch break for a 6 hour or longer shift (most places I know of give 30 minutes or an hour), and I think for every 4 hours you work, you're required to get a 10 or 15 minute break.  I also can go to the restroom as needed, but I understand not everyone is in that position.  A situation like that would put you in a position where you're at risk of either having to drink less fluids than you may need, holding too long and possibly getting a UTI, wetting yourself and being embarrassed, or holding too long and possibly doing damage to your bladder.