Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bodysuits, jumpsuits, one-piece swimsuits... What do I call these outfits?

I've been told that "bodysuit" refers to the one-piece swimsuit that covers the upper body and is bikini-like at the bottom. But I've also seen "bodysuit" used to refer to a skintight outfit that covers all the body except head, hands, and feet. Best I gathered from that one before is "jumpsuit", though those aren't always skintight.

Can someone please clarify for me once and for all what you would call each of these outfits? I know that a one-piece outfit that looks like a tank top and shorts fused together is called a romper, can someone answer the rest of them?

1.) Skintight outfits that cover whole body except head and probably hands or feet. Besides wetsuits or drysuits, I'm talking made of regular fabrics like spandex or Lycra or something. (Example: Peach and Daisy's biker outfit in Mario Kart)

2.) The one-piece swimsuits that look like a tank top and lower part of bikini fused together.

3.) I would also kind of like to know what you call something similar to 1, except with no arms. I think I've heard it called a unitard before but I want to be sure.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any standardized nomenclature in widespread enough use to give any of these kinds of outfits unambigguous names.

That said, here are the terms I've most frequently heard in what contexts:

When I here the term bodysuit, it usually refers to a skin tight full-body garment that reaches at least the ankles and wrists, but may have integrated gloves/boots. That said, the term body suit is also sometimes used for any garment that combines shirt and pants in a single garment, though this latter seems more common in regards to distinguishing the torso covering from other parts of a multi-garment costume.

Skintight, full coverage bodysuits are sometimes called catsuits(seems more frequent if worn by a woman) or unitards(more frequently used when worn by a man). They are also sometimes called gimp suits if made specifically for BDSM play.

Jumpsuits can be tight or loose fitting, long or short sleeved, but generally combine a shirt and trousers in a single garment and tend to be made of heavier fabrics like denim.(while catsuits and unitards tend to be made oof silky or rubbery materials). Loose fitting jumpsuits are also called coveralls(distinguished from overalls in that coveralls typically have a full shirt top instead of just built-in suspenders). Admittedly, the term coveralls seems used exclusively for work clothing while jump suit can be used for both work clothes and casual wear.

A sleeveless, legless bodysuit is usually just called a one-piece swimsuit or bathing suit if worn for swimming or a leotard if worn for other reasons(such as for gymnastics or as under clothing for a tutu or an athletic skirt). However, the term leotard can also refer to garments that are sleevless and have mid-thigh or knee length leg covering, though the latter is more common with mens' leotards(a woman's leotard is almost always legless whether worn alone or under a skirt). The tank top plus shorts combo can also be seen in some old-fashioned mens' swimwear.

Wetsuits refer to any bodysuit used for aquatic activities, are usually tight fitting, and can be long or short-sleeved and have any extent of leg coverage.

Sorry if I haven't done much to clear up your confusion, but as this post should illustrate, fit, extent of limb coverage, material, intended use, and the sex of the wearer all have an impact on what garments combining upper and lower torso covering are called, and many of the terms don't have hard and fast meanings or clear boundaries, and I'm sure if you were to look up any of the garment terms here in Wikipedia or the dictionary of your choice, I'm sure there would be at least a few entries contradicting my understanding of the terms.

Bodysuit are an undergarment, although it can sometimes be pair with just pants over them and no shirt.

All One piece swimsuit, Bodysuits and leotards/unitards can have long sleeves or long legs. There is no name differentiating them from the sleeveless or legless, normally they're ambiguous and you use the descriptions to get them with sleeve or legs. 

Jumpsuits are as you said not always skintight, on the other hand, Catsuits are always skin tight. These are not like full body bodysuits as they're not undergarments. 

Nope, I just googled imaged them lol 

As catsuits are like form fitting and a outer wear, they not normally meant to be worn like street clothes. Hence the reason why it's like fetishes with latex catsuits and events. So if they're wearing a thin one piece form fitting clothing while breaking in, it can be considered a catsuit.

Flight suits are flight suits, totally different from jumpsuits or catsuits. They're a pressurized full body suit, meaning they have a helmet.