Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

An interesting anecdote

So I've read this story today, of course I'm not sure it's true...

There was a small bar that was very popular because of its excellent beer. Every night there were extremely long lines before it - the space inside was far too little. What they did to make sure everyone will get in sooner or later was close the WC. Beer made everyone eventually go somewhere to pee, thus freeing a seat for a new customer.

I don't think such an idea could work, because there would be too many people relieving themselves right around the bar, and the place would become nasty in just one night. Still, would be funny if this was true. Imagine a bar full of people wiggling in their seats, moaning, and squeezing legs for hours, just because they don't want to stand the line again. And drinking still more beer to get as much as they could before having to leave the place. The people who came together would have to encourage each other to hold longer, as the first one to give up would make the whole company leave, letting everyone down. Finally, people who kept holding until losing control, will rush out screaming and probably already peeing their pants...

Not to spoil anything ... but (at least in my state) any place of business that serves food and/or alcohol has to have a working WC, running water, and electricity. If this was a private club, rules could be different there.

This does not mean that there aren't bars where people relieve themselves at the bar.  There was dive bar in Waynesboro, VA  (the town where I grew up.) that had a 1974 Playmatic Joker pinball machine. I played pinball a lot and they would not serve me a coke at the bar (no pepsi, coke!). That was good, because there were guys there who would drink and fall asleep on the bar and piss themselves. There were bathrooms, but some guys just went into the back hall (leading to the gravel parking lot in the back) and pee out the door. Sometimes they would forget to open the door ... or the screen door if it was spring/summer/fall.

This is an excerpt from Joe Kenda's book "I Will Find You"

He is speaking about Fred's Bar. Unfortunately, there isn't any more to it than that.

"Fred’s, which is now blessedly out of business, served the cheapest beer to the lowest of lowlifes. The dump dated back to World War II. They hadn’t wiped down the bar since V-J Day. The charming clientele was known for sucking down beer and pissing it out without ever leaving the bar. I’m serious. The regulars didn’t mind the filthy decor or the reeking odor because they contributed to it."