Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Capacity Measuring Pro Tips

I've decided to measure my capacity for the first time. I'm going to arrange a day on my own for this purpose. I'll use 1L bottle for it (just weigh it on the kitchen scale when I'm done and subtract the bottle's weight). I'm not sure 1g = 1ml in case of pee, so I'll also use a measure cup to draw marks at every 200ml. 

So, I have a crucial question: of course I want to measure my max capacity, not just everyday one. And I'm not sure if I'd rather rely on volume or on time (I'll be sure to measure both of these as well, anyway). I can hold way longer if I drink adequate, not excessive amounts of water to give my bladder time to stretch, and my muscles to get tight enough. If I drink a ton at once, I need to pee soon, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm 100% full or because my bladder is irritated by this extremely fast filling. On the other hand, if I hold for hours and hours, pee becomes concentrated, which, I'm afraid, can reduce its amount by the moment I can't hold any longer. What's the best strategy to measure the exact amount of pee my bladder can collect before it gives up because of fullness, not because of irritation or tiredness?

Edited by soo-pis-sed (see edit history)
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can try both gradual fill and rapid fill and then compare the results.  I hope you will post results here!  This is a good scientific experiment, though probably not suitable for a high school sci

I suspect that you will find it is, at least to within the tolerance of non-laboratory instruments.  Still, since you are poised to do both mass and volume measurements, I'd love to hear if they match

Ok folks... Let me tell you I totally screwed up the measuring. I was holding for almost 4 hours and drank 2L. But I only had a 1L bottle to pee in. I didn't expect it to be a problem because the body

I use a 2L measuring jug to measure my volume. They are cheap and saves you having to mark or weigh anything. My volume intake depends on the time of day I would like to do a max capacity hold. For example last night I drank 3.5 x 500ml bottles of water and a large mug of tea, went to pee before bed but I was nice and full again in the morning, ready to fill to my max capacity and it didnt take too much fluids to do my hold. If I do a hold during the day then I will steadily drink around 6-7 large mugs of tea/coffee or have 3 x 500ml water and 3-4 large mugs of tea/coffee and my filling/drinking time takes around 3-4 hours generally.

If you practice and experiment you will find what works best for you and the measuring jug will provide accurate & consistent results. 

Interesting to see what others do... 😃

1 hour ago, Pfunns said:

I use a 2L measuring jug to measure my volume. They are cheap and saves you having to mark or weigh anything. My volume intake depends on the time of day I would like to do a max capacity hold. For example last night I drank 3.5 x 500ml bottles of water and a large mug of tea, went to pee before bed but I was nice and full again in the morning, ready to fill to my max capacity and it didnt take too much fluids to do my hold. If I do a hold during the day then I will steadily drink around 6-7 large mugs of tea/coffee or have 3 x 500ml water and 3-4 large mugs of tea/coffee and my filling/drinking time takes around 3-4 hours generally.

If you practice and experiment you will find what works best for you and the measuring jug will provide accurate & consistent results. 

Interesting to see what others do... 😃

Thank you, yes, it's interesting how it works for different people.

What I'm currently planning is pee in the morning and then drink 250 ml every half an hour. This way, hopefully, filling up will take enough time to get my bladder ready to push limits, but also, there will be enough liquid to not have to wait an eternity. 

16 hours ago, soo-pis-sed said:

I'm not sure 1g = 1ml in case of pee, so I'll also use a measure cup to draw marks at every 200ml. 

I suspect that you will find it is, at least to within the tolerance of non-laboratory instruments.  Still, since you are poised to do both mass and volume measurements, I'd love to hear if they match up or not!

Ok folks... Let me tell you I totally screwed up the measuring. I was holding for almost 4 hours and drank 2L. But I only had a 1L bottle to pee in. I didn't expect it to be a problem because the body needs some water by itself and we don't pee the same amount that we drink. Apparently it was a very stupid idea to rely on... So, I peed for about 55 seconds and at least the last 7-8 seconds were after the bottle was full. So I ended up not knowing my capacity, although it's something, to know that it's above 1L. 

2 hours ago, soo-pis-sed said:

Ok folks... Let me tell you I totally screwed up the measuring. I was holding for almost 4 hours and drank 2L. But I only had a 1L bottle to pee in. I didn't expect it to be a problem because the body needs some water by itself and we don't pee the same amount that we drink. Apparently it was a very stupid idea to rely on... So, I peed for about 55 seconds and at least the last 7-8 seconds were after the bottle was full. So I ended up not knowing my capacity, although it's something, to know that it's above 1L. 

Curious - why didn't you stop peeing, empty the bottle, then resume peeing until you were empty?

Guest Closed_Account

To echo what the others said: Use a measuring jug. Measuring by volume makes way more sense than measuring by weight, then trying to guess the density to convert. Also, try to have a smaller jug ready in case you fill the 2L (I often do).

45 minutes ago, Coinín Beag said:

To echo what the others said: Use a measuring jug. Measuring by volume makes way more sense than measuring by weight, then trying to guess the density to convert. Also, try to have a smaller jug ready in case you fill the 2L (I often do).

Thats a nice big bladder you have there if you can hold over 2L on a regular basis. I’m currently struggling to push past 1850ml as this is my current max capacity, but I always feel after the pee that I could have held for a few mins more if I had really forced myself to hold it in... 

Guest Closed_Account

I don't do this regularly since it's a bit dangerous and can lead to kidney stones or worse.

In my case I don't have accidents, I can hold until it hurts my kidneys, so by the time I throw in the towel there's a *lot* inside. Also I usually fill up again a few seconds later with another 500ml or so.

1 minute ago, Coinín Beag said:

I don't do this regularly since it's a bit dangerous and can lead to kidney stones or worse.

In my case I don't have accidents, I can hold until it hurts my kidneys, so by the time I throw in the towel there's a *lot* inside. Also I usually fill up again a few seconds later with another 500ml or so.

I can fill quite quickly after my initial max capacity hold but then I’m very well hydrated at this point. 

Thanks everyone, okay, next time I'll just buy the cheapest measuring jug and throw it away when I'm done.

Next time, I will do the exact same thing as yesterday: measure in 4 hours after last pee, drink 2L within 3,5 hours. That's what I already know I can do, so I won't be nervous. It's not the challenge I'm seeking now, but the answer.

It's not impossible that I'll have 4 hours on my own even this weekend, so hopefully the truth is around the corner!

In the past, I've used a measuring cup and water to fill a plastic 64-ounce apple juice bottle, using a permanent marker at 10-ounce intervals.  The apple juice container is perfect because it has a wide opening, a screw cap, and if anyone were to see it after it was used, the contents resemble what the label says.  64 ounces should be plenty for almost anyone's full bladder.

22 minutes ago, Spectator9 said:

In the past, I've used a measuring cup and water to fill a plastic 64-ounce apple juice bottle, using a permanent marker at 10-ounce intervals.  The apple juice container is perfect because it has a wide opening, a screw cap, and if anyone were to see it after it was used, the contents resemble what the label says.  64 ounces should be plenty for almost anyone's full bladder.

Is it 1,8L? Some people here say they can hold more, although I definitely wouldn't expect it from my bladder. 

I marked 800 ml on that bottle, because I expected my result to be between 800ml and 1L.