Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

It's a Northern Thing

Something has bothered me for quite sometime and I wanted to do a quick survey and ask you a few questions.

From my time on Vk and on a recent post on this site, it seems to me that a lot of us are concentrated in the northeastern United States (Virginia to up to Maine).  However all of my evidence is anecdotal, and I could use your opinion.  Have you noticed the same thing? If so, why do you think that's the case?  Is it due to the northern culture, or something in the water?

3 hours ago, WilllB said:

When I read the topic, I thought this thread is something about people who live in north, but I was wrong.

I'm from Finland and from my perspective the whole USA is in south 🙂

http://ontheworldmap.com/finland/finland-location-map.html

🤣 I've always wanted to go to Scandinavia, Finland is the best of the 3 by far.  Have you ever been to the Baltic states? I've always wanted to visit them too!

Hmm... My impression was the opposite (that it was more common in the South and West), but I think it's mainly places where I am not. 

Realistically, it's probably just proportional to population density. The Northeast has a higher population density than most of the rest of the U.S.

Interesting. I would have figured the south would be less accepting of things outside the norm, which we most certainly are.  I agree with your assumption that the West could have a greater tolerance level for our proclivities.  Granted, this is all speculation, even if I was taking an anonymous survey, I doubt I would admit to having this frankly embarrassing fetish.  I wonder if anyone else would be so brave and therefore, I doubt we'll get any real numbers 

I've noticed...

* Pacific northwest

* Canadians

* NE

* UK

Which would all tend to support your hypothesis.

Well, lets look at what we've got here.  I think we can see some connections here.

The northeast and Canada (some parts) share a heritage with the UK, the Northwest in the US has a higher density of Asian-Americans.  That's important to note because the term omorashi and the general fetish itself has Japanese decent, if I'm not mistaken.

The question is, what do those two other counties have in common? Are there cultural traits, that cross East and West?  

For what it's worth, I remember reading somewhere that English was the most widely used language on the Internet with German in second place. Granted, I think that was from a culture note in a German-language textbook from circa 2011-2012, so ancient history in Internet terms.

Still, if there's any accuracy to that statement, coupled with, if I'm not mistaken, the UK having the second highest number of native English speakers after the US and Germany having the highest number of German-speakers, we'd kind of expect those three countries to have the largest representation on the Internet regardless of the specific subject.

• 4 months later...